PDA

View Full Version : 4V DOHC - Low-End Torque Woes ... How to overcome and still be N/A

Professor
05-27-2007, 06:32 PM
I have a 2001 Mustang Bullitt with a 4.6L 2V SOHC. From the factory, it doesn't have a tremendous amount of hp (275), but it has boatloads of torque (325 ft/lbs). This makes for tire smoking heaven and a great seat of the pants feel in any gear. Even when the car was bone stock, I could smoke them (not just chirp them) in the 2-3 shift and spin them in the 3-4 shift. :D It's an expensive habit (and somewhat juvenile) but very fun on Carolina back roads and straight aways in the middle of nowwhere.

The 4V DOHC engine has always been considered the superior 4.6 thanks to its willingness to rev. It has been very successful in naturally aspirated form (e.g., Mach 1) and really responds to being blown (e.g., Cobra Terminator!!!) However, the knock on the 4V is that the low end torque is lacking, which may not kill 1/4 mile numbers, but can put a damper on juvenile tire spinning and stop-light drags (will I ever grow up?).

My question (after the long winded intro - excuse my academic verbosity) is, what kind of mods have Marauder owners found that give the proverbial kick in the pants to the torque curve? Can that tire smoking seat of the pants feeling be reasonably achieved in a Marauder that is naturally aspirated?? What kind of mods have you found that increase that seat of the pants feel.

My suspicion is that gears would make a big difference and possibly exhausts tailored for low end torque.

If I wanted high revving, comming on at the finish line kind of hp, I would drive a rice rocket.

Raudermaster
05-27-2007, 06:34 PM
CAI/exhaust, T/C, tune, gears.

Pat
05-27-2007, 07:11 PM
With three things, 4:10 gears, 3500 RPM Stall speed Torque converter and top it off with a tune. If you stay NA.

I got 'em and I can attest to the results.

Thank you, DR and lidio.

Pat

Professor
05-27-2007, 07:19 PM
With three things, 4:10 gears, 3500 RPM Stall speed Torque converter and top it off with a tune. If you stay NA.

I got 'em and I can attest to the results.

Thank you, DR and lidio.

Pat

Thanks. Were you able to get into the low 14's / high 13's??

QWK SVT
05-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Raudermaster is right... A CAI, 4.10 gears and tune will really wake up a Marauder. From stock, I dropped 6-tenths in the 1/4-mile and almost 2-tenths off my 60' times. This got me down to 14.2's. No streetability issues, as the tune mileage increase offsets the decrease from the gears, so I still average ~20mpg, witha heavy foot.

The gears substantially increase the oomph felt when you punch it, and the CAI and tune keep that feeling going throughout the rpm band. The tune (mine's from Lidio) makes the transmission act like it knows what to do (far less hunting for the right gear vs. stock). Personally, I think this is how Ford should have sold the Marauders, in the first place. If you're still looking for more after that, then you can start thinking about some of the more pricey options - Torque Converter, Exhaust, etc.

fastblackmerc
05-27-2007, 07:56 PM
I'd go with the 4.10's, TC & tune.

Where are you located in NC?

I'm in the RTP area.

Blackened300a
05-28-2007, 06:00 AM
Like was said before 4.10's, Either a 3000 or 3500 stall convertor and a tune will make your rear tires light up with ease and restore low end torque.
I took a Z28 off the line and held him back by a full car length if that gives you any idea of the improvment of these mods.

SC Cheesehead
05-28-2007, 06:43 AM
Raudermaster is right... A CAI, 4.10 gears and tune will really wake up a Marauder...Personally, I think this is how Ford should have sold the Marauders, in the first place.

x2 on that. Night and day difference between stock and mods mentioned.

SCCH

Professor
05-28-2007, 07:14 AM
I'd go with the 4.10's, TC & tune.

Where are you located in NC?

I'm in the RTP area.

I'm in Greenville. I'm a Professor at ECU. I'm doing some research on what I will have to do to get a Marauder somewhere near the seat of pants feel that I enjoy on my Bullitt. I'm hoping to find a Marauder that I like by the end of summer. I will be seriously looking around July 1st and hoping to seal a deal by late August.

I love the Stang, but with a 7 year old and a 5 month old, it just isn't practical.

Local Boy
05-28-2007, 09:20 AM
I understand, with children, you need a bigger rocket! That's why I up-graded to a MM. The kids LOVE IT!!!

Professor
05-28-2007, 11:43 AM
I understand, with children, you need a bigger rocket! That's why I up-graded to a MM. The kids LOVE IT!!!

A bigger rocket indeed. When I was a teen, my Dad bought a Buick Grand National. Around town, it was a 3.8 V6 that was quiet and great for Mom's grocery getter and room for me in the back seat. At the track, it was a high 12 second screamer (with minimal mods .... crossover pipe, cat back, Kenne Bell chip, 3.73 gears and wider tires). It was the right compromise. I need to grow up and put away my Mustang fetish (for now) and think of my growing family. The Marauder allows me to have my cake and eat it too.

Pat
05-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks. Were you able to get into the low 14's / high 13's??

YES.......

JonW
05-29-2007, 02:58 PM
I have 4.10s, a 3000 stall TC, underdrive pulleys, and a tune. The car launches hard, and I've surprised the hell out of a few people :)

As a side note, what will adding DR's header/exhaust do for me? I'd be happy with getting into the high 13s after exhaust.

sailsmen
05-29-2007, 03:32 PM
N/A around 12-15hp and S/C 20hp.

I went with them for being durable, I drive 20K per year. I don't know of any headers that will hold up to that.

CRUZTAKER
05-29-2007, 03:52 PM
My torque numbers are near 400 NA and well over that with NOS.

You need bolt-ons and gears!:D

ctrlraven
05-29-2007, 04:02 PM
I have 4.10s, a 3000 stall TC, underdrive pulleys, and a tune. The car launches hard, and I've surprised the hell out of a few people :)

As a side note, what will adding DR's header/exhaust do for me? I'd be happy with getting into the high 13s after exhaust.

You must be sleeping hard at the light if you have that stuff and not in the 13's yet lol. I had a JLT, GM COP, DR tune (tweaked), 2nd set of cats removed, Flowmaster 40's and bfg kdw2 255/55-18 and ran a 14.25 with a 2.09 60ft, everything else bone stock.

3500 stall, control arms and some drag radials should get me nicely into the 13's.

juno
05-30-2007, 05:09 AM

Sounds like your tune is off or something. I was at 14.06 with just 3.73's, a TC and tune on a cool (75 deg) SFL night. I would go with a CAI first, that will help the top end and lower your times. The exhaust will help a little, but the CAI and a Meziere pump will do as much or more.

JonW
05-30-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm just guessing at the times. I've never taken my car to the strip, but it seemed like with the mods I've made that my car should be a low 14 second car. I figured the exhaust might get it into the high 13s. Just thinking out loud, and evidently, a little incorrectly.

fastblackmerc
05-30-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm in Greenville. I'm a Professor at ECU. I'm doing some research on what I will have to do to get a Marauder somewhere near the seat of pants feel that I enjoy on my Bullitt. I'm hoping to find a Marauder that I like by the end of summer. I will be seriously looking around July 1st and hoping to seal a deal by late August.

I love the Stang, but with a 7 year old and a 5 month old, it just isn't practical.
Next time I'm out that way we can meet up and your can drive my MM.