PDA

View Full Version : Aw Snap! No, really - 20 Tundra camshafts have snapped

ctrlraven
05-29-2007, 11:58 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/29/aw-snap-no-really-20-tundra-camshafts-have-snapped/

Aw Snap! No, really - 20 Tundra camshafts have snapped

Posted May 29th 2007 8:02AM by Jonathon Ramsey

Out of a run of 30,000 5.7-liter V8 engines, Toyota has had reports of 20 camshafts snapping -- a minuscule number in light of the total (0.06 percent, as a matter of fact). Toyota says the outside supplier of the camshafts has discovered the problem, which was "a metallurgical defect in the casting," and the company is trying to figure out how many of the remaining 30,000 engines could also be affected, though because of the company's production method, the final number is not expected to be large. The camshafts have been designed to prevent collateral damage in case they break, but Toyota will replace a customer's entire engine if the camshaft failure should occur by sending a new 5.7L via airfreight to the nearest daeler. Apparently some Toyota execs believe that the new number one global automaker has been growing too fast to maintain proper quality control. Yet with the Tundra being a new truck with a new engine in a new market for Toyota, there are going to be teething problems, as we've seen. What remains to be seen is if, or for how long, these problems will continue.

Raudermaster
05-29-2007, 12:03 PM
HA! Leave the truck building for the Domestic companies.

prchrman
05-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Maybe they got the same supplier chevy had for cams in the late seventies and early eighties...they would come out round as a marble in about 50 -75 thousand miles...how do I know?

larryo340
05-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Maybe they got the same supplier chevy had for cams in the late seventies and early eighties...they would come out round as a marble in about 50 -75 thousand miles...how do I know?
betcha you know the same way I know :D

sicilianmarquis
05-29-2007, 01:22 PM
notin beats a FORD TRUck

Joe Walsh
05-29-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm suprised that they didn't claim that it was their New Toyota "IVIC" system!

Independently Variable Individual Cylinder valve timing camshaft!!!

:D

They now have a Double DOHC V8!

Breadfan
05-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Must be that variable displacement system, shuts off half the cylinders on a bank...

Bigdogjim
05-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Yes Ford has owned the truck market for almost 30 long years!!!

Nice try Toyota. I bet more will snap. They had a sludge problem a few years back; because they told owners that 7500 miles was OK for an oil change.

pantheroc
05-29-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm suprised that they didn't claim that it was their New Toyota "IVIC" system!

Independently Variable Individual Cylinder valve timing camshaft!!!

:D

They now have a Double DOHC V8!

Good one!!!!!!

larryo340
05-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Yes Ford has owned the truck market for almost 30 long years!!!

Nice try Toyota. I bet more will snap. They had a sludge problem a few years back; because they told owners that 7500 miles was OK for an oil change.
Toyota thinks that guys who drive FORD's, CHEVY'S, and DODGE's will give them up for an big ugly (and now broken)Toyota truck...........yeah right !!!
all this truck talk has me missing my Bronco

Raudermaster
05-29-2007, 08:35 PM
lol, over on the SVTP forums, all the guys who drive L's laugh so hard since every guy with a Hemi Ram and a new Tundra V8 think their trucks right from the dealer can toast an L.

MACFORD88
05-29-2007, 08:44 PM
To Tow The Toys It Has To Be A Ford Truck 1998 Exped 189k And No Oil Leaks At All.cant Wait To See If Ford Is Changing The F-150 So I Can Go Pay One.keep Up The Good Work Toyota.

RCSignals
05-29-2007, 11:58 PM

Nevermind the seventies and eighties, they had that soft cam problem with the first SBs in the '50s

RCSignals
05-30-2007, 12:06 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/29/aw-snap-no-really-20-tundra-camshafts-have-snapped/

Aw Snap! No, really - 20 Tundra camshafts have snapped

Posted May 29th 2007 8:02AM by Jonathon Ramsey

Out of a run of 30,000 5.7-liter V8 engines, Toyota has had reports of 20 camshafts snapping -- a minuscule number in light of the total (0.06 percent, as a matter of fact). Toyota says the outside supplier of the camshafts has discovered the problem, which was "a metallurgical defect in the casting," and the company is trying to figure out how many of the remaining 30,000 engines could also be affected, though because of the company's production method, the final number is not expected to be large.

The camshafts have been designed to prevent collateral damage in case they break,

but Toyota will replace a customer's entire engine if the camshaft failure should occur by sending a new 5.7L via airfreight to the nearest daeler. Apparently some Toyota execs believe that the new number one global automaker has been growing too fast to maintain proper quality control. Yet with the Tundra being a new truck with a new engine in a new market for Toyota, there are going to be teething problems, as we've seen. What remains to be seen is if, or for how long, these problems will continue.

Sure they have.

It's OK, they are Toyota, they'll get away with it. People will say they are on top of things and looking out for the customer and product.

When Ford temporarily stopped the production of Cobra back in 2003 to correct a discovered problem, even before the cars were shipped, people just criticised Ford for producing junk.

Richy04
05-30-2007, 03:33 AM
I remember lots of 350's and 305's with the "lead cam" problem.. Cams as soft as lead... I was working in auto parts in the 80's and if they came in asking for:

1. A heater core, I would ask them which Ford/Mercury they had..
2. A Cam, I would ask them which motor.. 305 or 350 chevy..

I always had Oldsmobile rocker arm hold down brackets in stock as well.. They used to bend up and cause a miss on the 80's 307's and 350's.. Funny arrangement with one bolt holding two rockers down..

Oh and tons of the ballast resistors for my friends with Chrysler products..

Richy