PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought a daily driver!

Eric91Z
05-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Well, signed the paper work tonight on a daily driver. Finally, can cut back on the miles for the Marauder!!!!

Went and test drove the '03 P71 CVPI that I had mentioned in another thread. Not a perfect car, but seems mechanically sound, interior is pretty good, has 5 new wheels, Optima yellow top battery, decent tread on the tires, full size spare. Has a slight pull to the right, but brakes straight. AM/FM/Cassette, power windows (all 4 work), working cruise, power driver's seat. White exterior with dark grey interior. Just under 108,000 miles. And funny part is it was a fleet trade in from my home town that I grew up in.

Yes, it is a city car, but a suburb of the bigger city so more cruising. Front and rear bumpers are completely in tact. Will probably get a Progard to install out back. 1 small dent near the rocker, 3 holes in the trunk lid from antennas that I will have to figure out what to plug with, chipped paint near the fuel fill door, otherwise just typical cop car scratches near the driver's door (rubbing duty belt getting in) and on the top from the light bar (but no holes on top).

Passenger rear door does not open from the outside or inside, but part of the deal is that will be fixed before I pick it up. Left rear tire was almost flat when I looked at it yesterday and had air today, but will figure out issue and be fixed as part of the deal. And I asked for a front suspension inspection and advise as there were a couple of squeaks and groans now and then up there on the test drive. I don't think it is anything serious, just a 108,000 mile Panther car that has been driven for duty use. Guessing worn bushings, etc. Car rides and drives flat and solid, but definitely doesn't have the get up and go of a 4.10 equipped Marauder. It does have the 3.27 gears with the limited slip which will be good for the winter. And being an '03 I can use my winter wheels/tires from the Marauder on this car.

Will probably do a couple of things to make it "mine" and call it good:

1) New exhaust (looked under there and the stock stuff is pretty rusty and it is WAY to quiet)
2) tint the windows (gotta have that done)
3) Remote start/alarm since it will sit outside in the winter and will need to warm up on those cold Iowa winters (does have the plug in heater - I assume that is what the plug coming out the grill is for)
4) Maybe a cheap AM/FM/CD player since I have no cassettes and like to have my music to listen too.

That should be good and then I will just drive it. I thought of putting my Marauder air box on it, but not sure that is an "upgrade" for the '03 CVPI's or not. I did get a powertrain extended warranty - 2 years/24,000 miles - that looks to have great coverage with a $100 deductible. Figure that is good insurance on a used cop car. That way if the motor or tranny go they are paid for. And the dealership I am buying from does most of my work and handles all claims so you only pay the deductible.

No, I do not have pics yet. I should be picking it up tomorrow or Thursday and will get it washed and get some pictures taken. Stay tuned...

RoyLPita
05-29-2007, 04:57 PM
The MM airbox would be a nice touch. The cruise, power seat, and tape deck are in the Convenience Group. Does it have the blue silicone hoses and a movable spot light?

Eric91Z
05-29-2007, 05:08 PM
The MM airbox would be a nice touch. The cruise, power seat, and tape deck are in the Convenience Group. Does it have the blue silicone hoses and a movable spot light?

It does have a moveable spot light that needs tightening as the wind moves it around at highway speeds. Didn't notice blue hoses. They all looked black. They definitely didn't stand out as being blue like the Caprice green hoses stand out.

Eric91Z
05-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Here is the Oasis report (THANKS Brian!!!)

Build date:9/26/02
wty start date:10/17/02
vehicle has no recalls or CA type emmissions
OASIS shows no Ford extended or maintenance policies for this CVPI

Note: vehicle has side air bags and a 3.27 posi rear end ratio.

Warranty repair history:
Quality Ford of West Des Moines (IA)
5/20/03 @ 11315 miles
performed 02b02 program (rear axle shields)
10/28/03 @ 22868 miles
performed 03s05 recall (steel wheel inspection & replacement- none replaced)
replaced alternator (whining)
8/4/04 @ 39543 miles
performed 04s16 recall (axle shafts)
6/23/05 @ 60643 miles
performed 05s32 recall (dash outer insulator)
Ed Stivers Ford (Waukee, IA)
3/21/07 @ 106300 miles
performed 07s48 recall (steel wheel inspection replacement- 5 wheels replaced)

Having never really looked at the underside of a CVPI, I found it interesting the rear end cover is different than what the Marauder had and there are actual "shields" that are on the outer axle tubes that also cover the rear sway mounts.

RoyLPita
05-29-2007, 05:12 PM
BTW, The link to the pics didn't work an any of my computers. I guess we will have better pics from you later.

Eric91Z
05-29-2007, 05:17 PM
BTW, The link to the pics didn't work an any of my computers. I guess we will have better pics from you later.

I couldn't get them to work at work after I sent that either. And now at home all I get are red "X"

Maybe they have pulled them already as they had 2 - one was sold by the time I got there and I took the other one. Both '03 Fleet trade ins.

JMan
05-30-2007, 03:47 AM
Having never really looked at the underside of a CVPI, I found it interesting the rear end cover is different than what the Marauder had and there are actual "shields" that are on the outer axle tubes that also cover the rear sway mounts.

That's the kit for gas tank protection in the case of a 75mph impact while sitting on the side of the road. Underneath it is the same cover and everything else for that matter. Good luck with your new DD!

J

Raudermaster
05-30-2007, 06:32 AM
I don't think you'll notice an improvement from the MM airbox without an 80mm MAF/tune.

Eric91Z
05-30-2007, 07:22 AM
I don't think you'll notice an improvement from the MM airbox without an 80mm MAF/tune.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. And not sure I want to go that route as most tunes mean 91 octane or better gas and one of the "perks" of getting this car will be the ability to run the cheaper regular unleaded instead of the premium the Marauder requires.

RoyLPita
05-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Let's see what other Cop options you might have:
Ignition only trunk release buttons (on dash and door)
Rear windows inop (from rear switches only)
Rear door handles inop (insides only)
Dark mode (no courtesy lights on driver door)
Strobes?

RCSignals
05-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Here is the Oasis report (THANKS Brian!!!)

Build date:9/26/02
wty start date:10/17/02
vehicle has no recalls or CA type emmissions
OASIS shows no Ford extended or maintenance policies for this CVPI

Note: vehicle has side air bags and a 3.27 posi rear end ratio.

Warranty repair history:
Quality Ford of West Des Moines (IA)
5/20/03 @ 11315 miles
10/28/03 @ 22868 miles
performed 03s05 recall (steel wheel inspection & replacement- none replaced)
replaced alternator (whining)
8/4/04 @ 39543 miles
performed 04s16 recall (axle shafts)
6/23/05 @ 60643 miles
performed 05s32 recall (dash outer insulator)
Ed Stivers Ford (Waukee, IA)
3/21/07 @ 106300 miles
performed 07s48 recall (steel wheel inspection replacement- 5 wheels replaced)

The axle shields were added in the list you printed

5/20/03 @ 11315 miles

It's interesting the wheels weren't replaced in the first wheel recall, but were in the second. I suspect the dealership didn't really inspect them the first time, since the recalls had almost the same parameters.

Hotrauder
05-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Good luck. It looks like a good choice. Dennis

Marauderman
05-30-2007, 04:10 PM
It good to see you finally got the color right--..cough..cough...:lol:

Congrats--have fun with a second MM----Would love to have another ---have fun-- Tom

Eric91Z
05-30-2007, 04:29 PM
It good to see you finally got the color right--..cough..cough...:lol:

Congrats--have fun with a second MM----Would love to have another ---have fun-- Tom

No second Marauder here. This is a CVPI in white...

Marauderman
05-30-2007, 04:34 PM
No second Marauder here. This is a CVPI in white...

I musta read the wrong thing--though it was a black MM----dang--enjoy anyway--Jim--have fun--

Post AEdit==My Bad--sorry I am thinking of Jim IN Fla who jst bought a second MM--Sorry-

RoyLPita
05-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Let's see what other Cop options you might have:
Ignition only trunk release buttons (on dash and door)
Rear windows inop (from rear switches only)
Rear door handles inop (insides only)
Dark mode (no courtesy lights on driver door)
Strobes?

Does it have the black floor mat or carpet?

wchain
05-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Congrats! Pics sooN! I got your email/PM too! Yes, I have some :)

Wes

Eric91Z
05-31-2007, 09:52 AM
Does it have the black floor mat or carpet?

Yes, it has the black carpet. Trunk release button on the dash (where the clock is on '03 300A Marauders) and fuel door release on driver's door. Not sure on the keyed access only, but I think the trunk popped without the key when I checked it. And not sure on the door lighting.

Still waiting for notice when the car will be ready. Not sure if they ran in to something on the repairs they are to do.

offroadkarter
05-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Yes, it has the black carpet. Trunk release button on the dash (where the clock is on '03 300A Marauders) and fuel door release on driver's door. Not sure on the keyed access only, but I think the trunk popped without the key when I checked it. And not sure on the door lighting.

Still waiting for notice when the car will be ready. Not sure if they ran in to something on the repairs they are to do.

Before you take the pics, throw your marauder rims on it, always looks good. ;)

Eric91Z
05-31-2007, 04:32 PM
Just got it home today. They repaired the tire (nail in it), fixed the passenger rear door so it opens from the outside and inside, and inspected the front suspension and only found the right lower ball joint a little loose, but nothing else. They washed and vacuumed for me prior to my picking it up.

Here are pictures (more in my gallery):

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/1/3/5/Picture001.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/1/3/5/Picture002.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/1/3/5/Picture007.JPG

RoyLPita
05-31-2007, 04:40 PM
Nice pics. Did they replace the ball joint? I didn't know that Iowa vehicles get the engine block heater.

Eric91Z
05-31-2007, 07:40 PM
Nice pics. Did they replace the ball joint? I didn't know that Iowa vehicles get the engine block heater.

No, they did not replace the ball joint. Said it wasn't that bad and it wasn't part of the deal.

Yeah, I gets cold in the winter. I can use it this winter, I guess, when the car is parked out side.

quota
05-31-2007, 08:08 PM
Do not forget that for less than 700 bucks, you can get from ebay a brand new set of 17" split spoke Mustang wheels + tyres that would give a nice touch to your O3 CV. Plus ,they would improve the handling !
You can see some picks of my 03 MGM in the Gallery photos (my member's name is Quota).
JP

Eric91Z
05-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Do not forget that for less than 700 bucks, you can get from ebay a brand new set of 17" split spoke Mustang wheels + tyres that would give a nice touch to your O3 CV. Plus ,they would improve the handling !
You can see some picks of my 03 MGM in the Gallery photos (my member's name is Quota).
JP

Thos look pretty good. I wish the rear ends were a little wider so that the wheels pushed out a little more. The fronts line up well in the wheel wells, but the rears look in just a little. I think they look like that no matter what you put on there, unless you do different offsets front and rear.

For now I am going to do the following:

1) ProGard - on back order, but ordered
2) Hardwire kit for the V1 - ordered and on the way
3) Tint the windows
4) AM/FM/CD and new speakers
5) Remote start/alarm

3 and 4 will get done at the same time. It is a daily driver so I need some creature comforts. Also need to clean the seats and carpet to try and get the odor out of there. I think the officers that drove it must have worn too much cologne or something. Going to do some elbow work on the paint and get some of the scratches out of it and then get some Zaino on it - just to help keep it looking decent for a longer time. There is still some adhesive on the paint, too, from the stickers that were on it that I want to get removed.

I would like to find one of the plastic intake covers to put on there. Also going to do some maintenance items like plugs, fuel filter, check air filter, and maybe a tranny service - depending on what I can find on service history for that. Couple of the parking lights have the orange peeling off, so going to replace those. Also, the spot light bulb is burnt out, so want to replace that. Not sure where to get one of those as it looks like the bulb, mount piece, and short section of wire are all 1 piece. Wonder if the local FLAPS will carry something like that.

The HVAC control light(s) are out, so need to figure out how to get that out and replace if possible. And at least one light in the gauges is out so you can see the 2 on the right side at night. Not sure how much of a pain that is to remove to replace.

Again, all minor stuff at this point that I can do as I need to. Nothing to keep it from driving. Happy with what I got for the money. We are thinking of blacking out the B-Pillars, too, once the windows are tinted. Kind of a trial run for what we have been thinking of doing to the Marauder.

OK, off to bed...

RCSignals
05-31-2007, 10:49 PM

Behind that panel there should be two connectors for the trunk release button. one should be live all the time, the other ignition key controlled.
Just plug in the one you want to be active.

You could also run wires from one connector to the drivers door and add a second trunk release button there, if you want.