PDA

View Full Version : My new desktop...

TooManyFords
06-01-2007, 12:54 PM
This is what I want on my desk...

www.surface.com (http://www.surface.com)

I'm in the "queue!"

John

1of327
06-01-2007, 01:05 PM
That is the coolest damn thing that I have ever seen. I will be saving for one of those.

Breadfan
06-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Holy smokes I can't wait to "touch" the BSOD!

It's neat technology and probably the way things will head but it has several flaws.

First off, I didn't see too many practical applications in their demos. They had like, 3 maybe, looking at pictures in a way that mimics a messy table, fingerpainting, and getting sales pitches for cell phones.

Second, no one wants to stare face down to their desk for 8 hours a day.

The fix for the above is an integrated touch sensitive keyboard, that works to solve problem #1 but not problem #2.

Problem 2 could be fixed by angling the monitor vertically, but then no one will be typing 100wpm on a keyboard facing that way.

So the overall solution is one of those cool projected keyboards, or a neural interlink. No, vocal input is not the key, if I had to sit in the office and here people dictating their work all day I'd lose it.

Still a neat idea and I'm glad to see we keep innovating!

larryo340
06-01-2007, 01:17 PM
to infinety and beyond !!
http://t2.images.live.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1170972441409&id=b7fd216ebc9c7e6b75a681ac09d ac214

RCSignals
06-01-2007, 02:48 PM
kind of looks like a HP ad

duhtroll
06-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks, but I'll wait until they release 14 months of patches daily to get rid of the blue screen of death. Then I'll buy one.

Of course, trying to cram it into my shirt pocket is going to be tough.

This is what I want on my desk...

www.surface.com (http://www.surface.com)

I'm in the "queue!"

John

CRUZTAKER
06-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Gave me shivers....

Apple will be pissed.:D

Mike Poore
06-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Gave me shivers....

Apple will be pissed.:D

Oh, I don't know, Barry. Jobs will just steal the technology, just like he did the mouse/windows. Uh, no, wait a minute, .......it was the other way 'round; but no matter, what's good for Microsoft is good for all of us, right? :rolleyes:

Breadfan
06-05-2007, 09:39 AM
They both stole the idea from VisiCorp "Visi On" in 1982.

:D

duhtroll
06-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Really? I'd like to read that. PM me the article if you know where it is. Otherwise, I can search.

They both stole the idea from VisiCorp "Visi On" in 1982.

:D

TooManyFords
06-05-2007, 12:23 PM
I thought it was stolen from the Xerox Research labs and they sued Apple over it...

Breadfan
06-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I thought it was stolen from the Xerox Research labs and they sued Apple over it...

You may be right, 1973 was the Xerox "Alto" GUI.

Legend has it Bill Gates saw VisiOn running at COMDEX in 1982, freaked out since they didn't have anything like it, and ran back to MS to start work on Windows.

Breadfan
06-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Microsoft was late to the game and their first product was very sub-par compared to other GUIs. They were beat by:

Xerox "Alto"
Three Rivers Computer Co. "Perq"
Xerox "Star"
Apple's first go with "Lisa"
VisiCorps "VisiOn"
Apple Mactinosh
Digital Research "GEM"
X Window
Commodore "Geos"
Commorode Amiga Workbench

And then finally Windows 1.0 in 1985.

Windows 1.0 did not support overlapping windows like most of it's predessecors did.

Mad4Macs
06-05-2007, 03:42 PM
The biggest flaw is MS's ever present flaw... they're always 5 years late to the game.
5 years ago, the trend was desktop PC's.
In the 20th century, however, the entire world has left them behind and went mobile.
The iPhone is *years* more advanced, and the best is yet to come

jabird56
06-05-2007, 04:49 PM
John,

I hope you have better luck with this MS solution. An organization here at Offutt bought a "Touchtable" type device from a different corporation that is a lot along the same lines from what I can see with this SURFACE application.
The flag officers saw this "sales pitch" of what a great briefing tool this was with the ability to (by a wave of a hand/finger) pull data from ALL SORTS of databases. Unbeknownst to the "seniors", behind the scenes, there was a huge man interface tail of compiling the requested/required data and putting these multiple datasets into file directories for each particular briefing/presentation. This has turned into a $6 figure boat anchor.