PDA

View Full Version : Woaface buys his first car.

woaface
06-02-2007, 06:38 AM
Or at least I ordered it. The dealer is having it build, shipped, and delivered and ready by the time I get back from the Middle East. I can't get a Marauder over to Germany without paying some enormous costs. Also, I can't afford the gas for it (gas off base is upwards of $9 per gallon! That is NOT Marauder country.) and I'll be traveling off base a lot when I get back from Iraq.

So...I needed something cheaper, fuel-efficient, pretty much an econo-box. But I wanted sporty too, something fun to drive that handles well. After months of thought and deliberation I settled on a Mazda 3 5-door.

There's a dealer off-base that has tax-free sales. They are a no-haggle, below invoice retailer so it was my best bet for the area. I thought it best to get a NEW car so I have a warantee so all you used-car preachers can give it a rest. I put a lot of thought into it and I don't want any crap about it, I found it to be the best long-term decision I could make. I'll make an estimated $12-15k downrange and $5-7 of that goes as a down-payment. I'll be paying $16,750 something for a car that MSRPs for $18,275. I'm not paying ANY taxes on the car either.

Yeah yeah yeah, it's Japanese and small and only has 4 cylinders. Guess what, I'm 20 with a limited income. I needed the most reliable, fuel efficient car I could get WITHOUT sacraficing fun-to-drive. I could have purchased a Prius or something but those are not sporty. A manual was a must.

When I get state-side in a couple of years I may very well still go for one but it's going to be a collector and it's going to stay in a garage unless its summer. Period. I hope no one thinks I've given up because the spirit of what the Marauder gave me is still there, I promise. I just need something a little more practical at my young age right now, and there was no way an S/C Marauder was in my wee German budget. Insurance costs agree! No V8s for a 20 year old male with 3 tickets.

P.S. Look at it this way, Ford owns a controlling stake in Mazda...so in a round-about way I'm supporting.

mrjones
06-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Yep, it's in the Ford family. Congrats on the new car, and stay safe over there.

woaface
06-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Haha, you're in Lufkin? I'm very close to some people in Nacogdoches.

CRUZTAKER
06-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Nice to hear from you James.

Thanks, and stay safe!

rayjay
06-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Congrats James, nothing wrong with Mazdas. I'm thinking about a CX7 when I retire the DTR from daily service next year.

teamrope
06-02-2007, 09:20 AM
JAMES! Great to hear from you.... Is the Mazda DTR? :D

dwasson
06-02-2007, 10:00 AM
The Mazda 3 is one of the rare cars that looks better as a wagon than it does as a sedan. Wagons are convenient too. If you need anything from the cargo area you can just stop fast and it hits you in the back of the head.

Congrats James.

Bluerauder
06-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Also, I can't afford the gas for it (gas off base is upwards of $9 per gallon! That is NOT Marauder country.) and I'll be traveling off base a lot when I get back from Iraq.
I lived in Germany for nearly 7 years. We traveled alot. First time was in a Dodge Charger. Second time was in a full sized van. I think that I only had to buy gas "on the local economy" one time and that was coming down from Bremerhaven, across the Netherlands and into Belgium. Just put enough in it to get to the next Esso station that took USA gas coupons. It is really not a big deal and shouldn't have affected your decision. You shouldn't be buying $9 gas to put into ANY car with USA plates on it.

RCSignals
06-02-2007, 11:54 AM
not bad James. At least Mazda is still sort of a Ford.

Did you look at a Fusion or Edge?

............. Wagons are convenient too. If you need anything from the cargo area you can just stop fast and it hits you in the back of the head.

Now that /\ /\ is funny!

woaface
06-02-2007, 01:05 PM
I looked at both the fusion, but the Mazda had more "stuff" and I'm more confident in the car overall.

jgc61sr2002
06-02-2007, 02:49 PM
James - Congrats.:D

Mrsteamrope
06-02-2007, 03:23 PM
I looked at both the fusion, but the Mazda had more "stuff" and I'm more confident in the car overall.

It came in DTR, didn't it... :)

ncmm
06-02-2007, 05:04 PM
yay James! good going! :)

carfixer
06-02-2007, 06:10 PM
James, good choice. I've been working for Mazda for a couple of years now and they are a great car. You get a lot of car for the money. Is the Speed3 available over there.

carfixer
06-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Congrats James, nothing wrong with Mazdas. I'm thinking about a CX7 when I retire the DTR from daily service next year.
Ray, I had a CX7 for a few months and loved it. Great power and handling. If I was in the market for a new car, it would probably be the 7.

Bigdogjim
06-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Great, may it serve you well:)

Happy motoring

woaface
06-03-2007, 04:47 PM
I bought the car in a graphite/carbon color. It's not DTR and the Speed 3 was going to cost about $5000 more and with my driving it I'd get 8 mpg.

Mrsteamrope
06-03-2007, 09:23 PM
I bought the car in a graphite/carbon color. It's not DTR and the Speed 3 was going to cost about $5000 more and with my driving it I'd get 8 mpg.
Sounds like it matches the Dark Charcoal interior that my DTR has. :)

rayjay
06-04-2007, 02:38 AM
Ray, I had a CX7 for a few months and loved it. Great power and handling. If I was in the market for a new car, it would probably be the 7.
Thanks for the recommendation on the CX7.

woaface
06-04-2007, 05:19 AM
I WAS thinking about springing for the CX7 actually, but all costs included I can't afford it so it was just a passing thought. That thing is really nice up-close though.

Mrs. TeamRope...it IS the same color as the inside of your DTR;)

Haggis
06-04-2007, 05:40 AM
Morning James how's it going? Good luck with the Mazda.

Stay Alert, Stay Alive.