PDA

View Full Version : 50 years of 'going down in flames'.....

BAD MERC
06-02-2007, 07:12 AM
1956 VS 2006
My how things have changed... for the worst.

Scenario: Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.

1956 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his to show Jack.

2006 - School goes into lock-down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1956 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.

2006 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1956 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits still in class .

2006 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives him a whipping.

1956 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some headache medicine to school.

1956 - Mark shares headache medicine with Principal out on the smoking dock.

2006 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Mary turns up pregnant.

1956 - 5 High School Boys leave town. Mary does her senior year at a special school for expectant mothers.

2006 - Middle School Counselor calls Planned Parenthood, who notifies the ACLU. Mary is driven to the next state over and gets an abortion without her parent's consent or knowledge Mary given condoms and told to be more careful next time.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1956 : Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college .

2006 : Pedro's cause is taken up by state democratic party. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he can't speak English.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed .

1956 - Ants die.

2006 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary, hugs him to comfort him.

1956 - In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2006 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

Is something wrong here?

larryo340
06-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Yeah those were the days,
anybody else remember as a kid sitting (or standing) in the back seat of the car with no seat belts, hanging out the window, and annoying your brother or sister next to you.......
and your parents not being ticketed or arrested

Cobra25
06-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Make's you wonder what it would be like in the Future.

jim geary
06-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah those were the days,
anybody else remember as a kid sitting (or standing) in the back seat of the car with no seat belts, hanging out the window, and annoying your brother or sister next to you.......
and your parents not being ticketed or arrested I remember when my mother first got her drivers license in 49. Driving a 39 ford coupe,and hauling between 9and 12 of us kids down to the Saturday morning movie.
10 cartoons and a full length feature. 25 cents to get in and 10 cents each for popcorn and a soft drink. Those were the days.:)

Bluerauder
06-02-2007, 11:08 AM
1956 VS 2006
My how things have changed... for the worst.

Is something wrong here?

I am old enough to remember it both ways. Things were simpler in 1956. I agree that alot of these changes have only made things worse.

rayjay
06-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Is something wrong here?[/quote]

YES, YES & YES... and then we'll elect Queen Hillary and it WILL (W@ILL) get worse.:mad2:

CRUZTAKER
06-02-2007, 12:15 PM
I remember those days....not in '56 hower...

We used to get stopped in the park by police and have all of our beer poured out onto the ground and we were sent driving off. (16 years old)

We had weed confiscated and no doubt smoked by the LEO, and sent on our way. (17 years old.)

Massive house parties when parents were out of town and not a single neighbor calling the police. (14 through 17.)

Being seduced at 14 by a 26 year woman...getting caught and beat up by her boyfriend, and not telling a sole.

I feel fortunate to have grown up at the end of the 70's and into the 80's.

Wonderfull memories...and no one got hurt.

(Except when I was in 6th grade and spilled a beer on a senior at a house party and he pummeled me intensly):P

Advancedautosec
06-02-2007, 05:31 PM
makes me scared of the future, very scared....

MENINBLK
06-02-2007, 06:12 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1956 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits still in class .

2006 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Is something wrong here?

This is not quite how it works.

Jeffrey certainly DOESN'T get any money from anyone and neither does the school.
The school IS supposed to have Jeffrey diagnosed by a child psychiatrist,
but the school knows better and won't listen to or read any reports
from any psychiatrists that do not agree with the school's diagnosis.
Jeffrey's parents are made to look like the bad parents if they don't go along with the SCHOOL's DIAGNOSIS,
and they are threatenend to be reported to child welfare services if they don't comply with the school's diagnosis.

You really want to know what is wrong here ???

When we went to school and needed help, our teachers were there to support us.
Our teachers would stay after school to tutor us and send home additional work
so that we could have additional practice and additional studying.

Teachers today could care less if your child is keeping up with the class or not.
Wether your child can do the work or not, there is no special consideration.
You have to take your child to a tutor and PAY for it.

Ever go to SYLVAN LEARNING CENTERS and ask how much they get for tutoring ?
They evaluate your child for $100 and then tell you how many WEEKS of tutoring they need.
And then they tell you that it will cost you $50 AN HOUR if you pay it all in full.
$60 AN HOUR if you take out a student loan.
$67 AN HOUR if you pay it weekly.
By the time you are finished paying for the tutoring, you could have paid
a few more years of your child's tuition for his school.
That money could have gone to your child's school, and your child's school
could have done the tutoring for you, and did a much better job.
But the schools just don't care.
That's why there are Sylvan Learning centers...

Marauderman
06-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Thats pretty darn close--..I grew up in the 50's--Although I didin't realize it at the time, it was the best time period yet--but I knew there was something different going on when I was involved with it--it was just plain COOL!! I am so glad I was there!!!!!!!!!/..........Tom

duhtroll
06-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah, teachers take jobs in education because they just don't give a crap. It must be all that money they make. Or the job security they have when manipulated test scores close their buildings. What a cushy job! Must be why there are never shortages of certified teachers. Uh, wait . . .

And teachers certainly never stay after school. :rolleyes:

Sorry, dude. You are WAY off base here.

The FACT is, on average, their teachers are there for them more often than their parents are. Teachers see them more often for longer periods of time, and there are more teachers in their lives than parents -- not to mention custodians, aides, administrators, kitchen staff, bus drivers, etc.. Want to know anything about any kid? Ask the cooks or custodians. They know everything going on in that building. Kids are at school as early as 5:30AM and as late as 11PM, eating all three meals there on many days. In many schools, there is no such thing as summer or holiday breaks, as the kids are there year round for one program or another.

And by the way --

If Johnny can't read, it's because Johnny's parents never sat down with him and read him a f***ing book when he was 2. My daughter is 3 and learning to read. She'll read before kindergarten. How is that anything to do with the responsibility of the public schools?

People who blame others because they didn't spend the time necessary to learn when they were younger really piss me off. It's like not brushing your teeth and then blaming your dentist when you get a cavity. People in this country need to take some responsibility for their own lives rather than blame someone else for why they didn't succeed.

This is not quite how it works.

Jeffrey certainly DOESN'T get any money from anyone and neither does the school.
The school IS supposed to have Jeffrey diagnosed by a child psychiatrist,
but the school knows better and won't listen to or read any reports
from any psychiatrists that do not agree with the school's diagnosis.
Jeffrey's parents are made to look like the bad parents if they don't go along with the SCHOOL's DIAGNOSIS,
and they are threatenend to be reported to child welfare services if they don't comply with the school's diagnosis.

You really want to know what is wrong here ???

When we went to school and needed help, our teachers were there to support us.
Our teachers would stay after school to tutor us and send home additional work
so that we could have additional practice and additional studying.

Teachers today could care less if your child is keeping up with the class or not.
Wether your child can do the work or not, there is no special consideration.
You have to take your child to a tutor and PAY for it.

Ever go to SYLVAN LEARNING CENTERS and ask how much they get for tutoring ?
They evaluate your child for $100 and then tell you how many WEEKS of tutoring they need.
And then they tell you that it will cost you $50 AN HOUR if you pay it all in full.
$60 AN HOUR if you take out a student loan.
$67 AN HOUR if you pay it weekly.
By the time you are finished paying for the tutoring, you could have paid
a few more years of your child's tuition for his school.
That money could have gone to your child's school, and your child's school
could have done the tutoring for you, and did a much better job.
But the schools just don't care.
That's why there are Sylvan Learning centers...

TKde0
06-03-2007, 09:30 AM
^^ Well said.

The teenage generation today scares me. And I'm only 24. Schools weren't like they are now even 10 years ago.

MENINBLK
06-03-2007, 03:16 PM
I don't know how far out there you really are,
but in New York it is as close as I put it.

PM me and I'll explain to you just how I know.

murphypeople
06-03-2007, 11:48 PM
I am sure everyone will be able to come to mutual understanding as the topic is as complex as family life. Having the ability to Home School our kids my wife and I have done so. Not everyone has the ability to do this...and my prayer is that I am able to continue to Home School my kids until they are all "done." I will be graduating my 18 year old this August.

Lots of us have suffered through public education. Others have excelled wonderfully through the same system. But just like a car...if the exhaust system has an impairment...the engine system will have an impairment. Like wise if the American family has dysfunction the so will other "systems" in our nation...like public schools.

Dialog is good...this forum topic is good...greater understanding is great.

My .02
Tony:burnout:

I don't know how far out there you really are,
but in New York it is as close as I put it.

PM me and I'll explain to you just how I know.

[quote=duhtroll;500862]Yeah, teachers take jobs in education because they just don't give a crap. It must be all that money they make. Or the job security they have when manipulated test scores close their buildings. What a cushy job! Must be why there are never shortages of certified teachers. Uh, wait . . .

And teachers certainly never stay after school. :rolleyes:

Sorry, dude. You are WAY off base here.