PDA

View Full Version : upper/lower intake mods

whd507
06-07-2007, 07:17 PM
so I'm thinking I want to get a spare upper/lower intake for porting and tweaking. I cant imagine that they are that easy to locate. are they? is it worth the effort?

my thought was to just port-match, clean up any thing needed and enlarge the throttle port openings slightly to accomidate future possible upgrades up there.

I have an intake spacer on order, and was just wondering if further attention is worth it.

Joe Walsh
06-07-2007, 08:02 PM
I deburred all the casting flashing from my upper and lower, had them extrude honed, then port matched the lower to the cylinder heads,
had them powdercoated silver, and finally installed the PHP intake spacer.
I did not open up the intake's throttle bores as the Accufab twin 60mm TB fit the OEM bores perfectly.
Can't give you any HP gains as the revised intake was bolted to a new forged 5.0 engine.
BTW: I don't think that the extrude honing is a good 'dollar per HP' value.

DEFYANT
06-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Search around. It has been reported this mod gives up small bang for the buck.

magindat
06-08-2007, 04:48 AM
About a year and a half ago Mac offered me one for FREE because it added HP, but not till way high in the powerband and he didn't like it.

Zack may have more info as I believe he participated in the experiment.

94_302
06-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Find Nazman on svtperformance.com and mach1registry.com he ports them and can probably give you a lot of info on gains and what not. Also Orangeblast on the mach1registry.com ports them. They seem to benefit from the port, however I do believe it is higher in the rpm and since we have the weaker crank and don't rev as high as a 5 spd mach it may not be that helpful. But talk to those guys especially Nazman his Cobra is probably one of the sweetest n/a New Edge Cobra out there.:up:

juno
06-11-2007, 05:26 AM
The crank has nothing to do with the rev limit.