PDA

View Full Version : Hard Boiled Eggs, I dont Get It

Zack
06-18-2007, 06:04 AM
Every monday is like a coin toss for me.
I do the same thing every Sunday night, boil 15 eggs in the same pot with the same amount of water for the same amount of time.

On some Mondays the eggs peel with no problems.
Other Mondays the egg looks like an anti-aircraft missle hit it after I get through 'attempting' to peel it. Most of the time I get so pissed I throw it away.

Is there a logical explanation to this? :help:

MM03MOK
06-18-2007, 06:20 AM
Yes, the age of the eggs. The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel.

http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-fdburn5252451jun13,0,881966.co lumn?coll=ny-news-columnists

http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=3101155&sid=ff3cac9894f097758e9db40043 5192e4

http://www.chow.com/digest/651

MM2004
06-18-2007, 06:25 AM
I do the same thing every Sunday night, boil 15 eggs in the same pot with the same amount of water for the same amount of time.

Other Mondays the egg looks like an anti-aircraft missle hit it after I get through 'attempting' to peel it. Most of the time I get so pissed I throw it away.

The logical explanation is that you suck at peeling an egg.

Ask Becky to show you how...

MERCMAN
06-18-2007, 06:40 AM
The logical explanation is that you suck at peeling an egg.

Ask Becky to show you how...

I always thought he was a no good eggsucker, the peeling deficiency is a new "talent".. The question is,,,what the HELL is Zack doing eating that many eggs? The sulfurous bastage:puke:Are you wanting to be known as "Cool hand Zack"?

Zack
06-18-2007, 06:57 AM
I eat 2 eggs each morning, Becky eats 1.

God I dont like Mike or Dan

RoyLPita
06-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Do you put the eggs in ice water after you boil them?

Mike Poore
06-18-2007, 06:59 AM
A pinch of salt in the water.

There's an enzyme, mashpeeoxymaltin that's bound by the shell in very fresh eggs that gets broken down (blocked) by age or the addition of trace quantities of sodium, in the shell.

No need to thank me, glad to be of help.:D

Bluerauder
06-18-2007, 07:10 AM

There's an enzyme, mashpeeoxymaltin that's bound by the shell in very fresh eggs that gets broken down (blocked) by age or the addition of trace quantities of sodium, in the shell. :D
I have heard the salt suggestion as well. That enzyme is pretty rare too. Only found in certain varieties native to Massachusetts. ;)

ckadiddle
06-18-2007, 07:11 AM

There's an enzyme, mashpeeoxymaltin that's bound by the shell in very fresh eggs that gets broken down (blocked) by age or the addition of trace quantities of sodium, in the shell.

Yup. Pinch or small spoonfull of salt in a pot of water if you arent salt-restricted.

MM03MOK
06-18-2007, 07:19 AM

I have heard the salt suggestion as well. That enzyme is pretty rare too. Only found in certain varieties native to Massachusetts. ;)
:neener: :P :neener:

:D

Zack
06-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the salt tip!

Zack
06-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Do you put the eggs in ice water after you boil them?

i run them under cold water for 1 minute then let them sit in the cold water for about 20.

KillJoy
06-18-2007, 07:32 AM
i run them under cold water for 1 minute then let them sit in the cold water for about 20.

Fill a large bowl w/ ice and water. Take them immediately from the hot water, to the cold bath.

:up:

KillJoy

DEFYANT
06-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Wait til they start to smell. Then boil them. They should be fine then.

Mike Poore
06-18-2007, 08:55 AM
:neener: :P :neener:

That damned Charlie! :fishslap:

rvaldez1
06-18-2007, 08:57 AM

:help:

If it bothers you that much, eat the shell!

MM03MOK
06-18-2007, 09:09 AM
If it bothers you that much, eat the shell!
I had a medium boiled egg quite often for brefas growing up. I was anal about there being shells in the egg. Drove my mother nuts. Couldn't stand them! I'm still that way!!

STLR FN
06-18-2007, 09:43 AM
I had a medium boiled egg quite often for brefas growing up. I was anal about there being shells in the egg. Drove my mother nuts. Couldn't stand them! I'm still that way!!
Being anal or shells in the eggs? :P:neener::lol::neener::P

rvaldez1
06-18-2007, 09:46 AM

Me TOO! soft and medium boiled eggs are a pain to peel.

OneBADLsE
06-18-2007, 10:09 AM

:confused::confused:

RoyLPita
06-18-2007, 10:27 AM

I crack up hearing Mary use the term "Brefas". I could picture her "chillin" with her arms crossed and wearing a ballcap on sideways. :lol:

Mike Poore
06-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I crack up hearing Mary use the term "Brefas". I could picture her "chillin" with her arms crossed and wearing a ballcap on sideways. :lol:

Or a Raiders headband, Brian? :rofl: WOO! WOOO!

MM2004
06-18-2007, 11:16 AM

God I dont like Mike or Dan

Really?

You can yank an engine out of a car in record time.

And you cannot peel an egg?

Your shoes must have velcro straps instead of laces...

:lol:

Mike.

Richy04
06-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Eat them Raw like Rocky, I've watched that movie several times and I have never ever seen them stick to the shell.. That Peeomaltin protein exists after boiling!!!

MIDNITEMARAUDER
06-18-2007, 12:02 PM
You guys are too much with this egg thing. I don't suppose there is an agreement on which side you pull the bathroom tissue roll?

magindat
06-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Egg thread, deck thread...

Zack's being domesticated! Way to go, Becky!!!

Zack
06-18-2007, 12:21 PM

Trust me, she's learning more watching me than me watching her. :eek:

Pops
06-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Zack you might get more done if you quit watching her!

Dragcity
06-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Next up....

Zack goes to the Cardiologist......

MENINBLK
06-18-2007, 12:31 PM
If you cook them in the micrwave long enough
you won't have to worry about peeling them... :mad2:

Pops
06-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Been thru that one, the egg eating will stop after he gets done. It will be egg beaters and fruit.

Joe Walsh
06-18-2007, 08:31 PM

Poor woman!

You've got her outgunned 2:1 in any "Dutch Oven" battles!

CRUZTAKER
06-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the salt tip!
I can't believe you weren't using salt.
That's why I didn't reply earlier...I had no idea what your hassle was.:P

Eat them Raw like Rocky....
Indeed. My preference. Hard boiling better lead to egg sam-wichs.

I saw him using a swiffer...:eek:

Mike
06-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Poor woman!

You've got her outgunned 2:1 in any "Dutch Oven" battles!

Now that's funny!! :lol:

STLR FN
06-19-2007, 02:04 AM
You guys are too much with this egg thing. I don't suppose there is an agreement on which side you pull the bathroom tissue roll?
Everyone knows you pull the Butt Tape from the back up and over the front. Not front up and over the back. :rolleyes:

Mike Poore
06-19-2007, 05:28 AM
Zack you might get more done if you quit watching her!

Yeah! That's me and Dan's job. :D

BTW, have you guys noticed how KillJoy seems to position himself, so that he's always standing next to Becky? ;)

MERCMAN
06-19-2007, 05:53 AM
Next up....

Zack goes to the Cardiologist......

I was thinking more like sensitivity training with empihasis on egg management

MM03MOK
06-19-2007, 06:07 AM
Nothing like a homemade egg salad (or egg mayonnaise) sandwich. Sometimes I add dry mustard, to give it that Deviled Egg flair, or a generous dash or two of Madras Curry powder. Fresh ground sea salt and pepper. Light Rye bread with lettuce and homegrown tomatoes!! Real mayo is a must (Hellmans)! I think I'll have to buy some eggs and let them age just right! Believe it or not, I like chocolate milk with the plain version.

:drool:

Mike Poore
06-19-2007, 06:26 AM
Mom used to buy chopped olives in a little jar, then make egg & olive spread for my lunch sammiches for school. Those were wonderful. :)

MM03MOK
06-19-2007, 06:29 AM
I think we need two new forums...Heloise and Julia Child (or Gordon Ramsey?)......

KillJoy
06-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Yeah! That's me and Dan's job. :D

BTW, have you guys noticed how KillJoy seems to position himself, so that he's always standing next to Becky? ;)

I do??? Guess I should get my camera!!

KillJoy

Ken
06-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Yes, the age of the eggs. The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel.Thanks, Mary. Always thought the opposite was true. Never tried the salt either.

Who would've thought that we'd get our cooking tips from the fine folks at MM.net?

Ken

MM03MOK
06-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks, Mary. Always thought the opposite was true. Never tried the salt either.

Who would've thought that we'd get our cooking tips from the fine folks at MM.net?

KenI did too, but never looked it up before.

Mike Poore
06-19-2007, 02:50 PM
You know, of course, all this culinary talk has got me to thinking about one of the world's finest foods ......

:beer:BUTTERMILK:beer:

jgc61sr2002
06-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Nothing like a homemade egg salad (or egg mayonnaise) sandwich. Sometimes I add dry mustard, to give it that Deviled Egg flair, or a generous dash or two of Madras Curry powder. Fresh ground sea salt and pepper. Light Rye bread with lettuce and homegrown tomatoes!! Real mayo is a must (Hellmans)! I think I'll have to buy some eggs and let them age just right! Believe it or not, I like chocolate milk with the plain version.

:drool:

Mary - You're making me hungry.:)

J-MAN
06-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Finally, something I can offer advice on. Had the same problem forever. Try this-room temperature eggs,steam in a pot with a vegetable basket for 13 to 15 minutes, cool in ice water. Easy to peel, yellow cooked all the way through,no grey! Enjoy:banana:

Leadfoot281
06-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Hard boiled is half way there.

Now you should pickle them and serve with Jagermeister.

RCSignals
06-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Hard boiled is half way there.

Now you should pickle them and serve with Jagermeister.

That's a good solution to his problem. If he bought his hard boiled eggs pickled in a jar he's never have to peel another.

ParkRanger
06-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Zack,

You know how the word 'egg' originated?
The first time an animal laid an egg it moaned "eeeeegggggg"

Forget hard-boiled, just soft scramble with mushrooms and a little onion.

PR :burnout:

Zack
06-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Zack,

You know how the word 'egg' originated?
The first time an animal laid an egg it moaned "eeeeegggggg"

Forget hard-boiled, just soft scramble with mushrooms and a little onion.

PR :burnout:

You forgot the fresh garlic, then topped with homemade salsa.
MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

rvaldez1
06-20-2007, 09:25 AM
You forgot the fresh garlic, then topped with homemade salsa.
MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So you like huevos rancheros? I need to get you some real salsa.