PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using a Diablo chip

AZ Supercharged
07-04-2003, 06:21 AM
New here used them in my Mustang custom burned and loved it and have one in my 03 Lightning all I see now is headlights hee hee..everybody have a GREAT 4 of July....be safe....:)

merc
07-04-2003, 09:55 AM
I might be a minority on the board but I am using the diablo chip and very satisfied with the results. The Dennis Reinhart chip is the most popular and well-supported chip and many will argue the only chip you should have. According to a phone call I made to Dennis’s shop it cost 100 dollars for a re-burn. If you are going to buy a chip, plugs, and stat and latter add 4:10 gears you will have to mail the chip to Dennis to program the upgraded gears. My local speed shop, (Excessive Motorsport in Manassas, Virginia) offered no cost of installation and the performance turned setting and 4:10 corrections only cost a additional 50 dollars.

Basic chip 250.00
Custom tuned upgrades to included 4:10 corrections 50.00
Out the door 300.00
They also offered one pull on the Dynojet for an addition 40.00

:)

RCSignals
07-05-2003, 12:52 AM
It's all in who does the initial programming.
I believe the chips Dennis uses are actually from Diablo, but the software/tuning is different.

SergntMac
07-05-2003, 07:52 AM
I'm not sure who punches out the chip, RC, but I never thought it was Diablo. It doesn't matter much, you're right on point two. The base software is somewhat generic, it's the tuning values of the particular tuner you're buying. Reinhart set up my first chip, and later sent me to the FordChip guys, Jerry and Pete. Dennis told them what I needed, they added a few touches themselves, and my MM came out perfect and quick.

Originally posted by merc
According to a phone call I made to Dennis’s shop it cost 100 dollars for a re-burn. If you are going to buy a chip, plugs, and stat and latter add 4:10 gears you will have to mail the chip to Dennis to program the upgraded gears. My local speed shop, (Excessive Motorsport in Manassas, Virginia) offered no cost of installation and the performance turned setting and 4:10 corrections only cost a additional 50 dollars.

Asking Dennis to reprogram your chip bought elsewhere is like taking the kids out for ice cream cones, and bringing your own ice cream. I don't know for a fact how this works, but it's likely that Dennis makes his money on the chip, not the programming.

Dennis, like any smart businessman, is good to his repeat customers. Had you bought your chip from Dennis along with other mods, and needed 4:10 programming, I am positive you would not pay 100 bucks. Dennis may charge this much when a customer supplies the chip because he doesn't want to touch it, and doesn't want say no. But, in any event, a different price for outside chips is reasonable. BTW, I remember paying 325 dollars for my RPC, and it was the flip chip with a switch too.

I believe people should make up their own minds and not be persuaded to patronize Reinhart just because he is popular. But it's like that sometimes, the designer jeans symdrome. If you want to fit in, buy these jeans...I'd like to think that people checked him out first, sampled his work or spoke with people who have. Presuming that, I'd say Reinhart has earned his reputation with good product and service, and decent prices.

It sounds like you are pleased with the Diablo chip, Merc. and isn't that what's really important?

RF Overlord
07-05-2003, 02:39 PM
In a thread over on BON (the important parts of which have been deleted...!) Dennis stated that he uses Diablo blanks (not programmed) and another brand, possibly InjectTech, but don't quote me on that second one...but as Sarge said, it's not the chip itself that counts, it's the skill of the programmer...

Dennis Reinhart
07-05-2003, 10:50 PM
OK here it is again I use Black Diablo chips that are sold to independent tuners, that use there own tuning software/program this is in bin file format, the red Diablo chip is in cri file format.

I cannot program a black chip with Diablo files nor there red chips with my bin files, now diablo sells chips for around 250.00 if you want a speed correction or lets say turn off the rear 02's or remove the speed limiting they charge an additional 125.00, or as they call it a custom tic charge. This is free with my files, I also do other things with my files that Diablo does not, and in most cases if you bought the chip from me as Mac said I don't charge 100.00, even if I did its still cheap. Now Merc your friend does not change 1' and 0's or in other words make Diablo files he has to call Diablo and they post the file on there web site, where after he pays a custom Tic charge he can download there revised file if that is the case, so again as long as your happy, I am happy whether you by a chip from me or not, I am sure I will help you in other ways.

Dennis

B-26
07-06-2003, 04:02 AM
I have a Diablo burned by Panhandle Performance in Florida. Great from the start. No problems so far. Dealer hasn't noticed it either. It picked the car up like it should have been from the start. No gear yet.

merc
07-06-2003, 07:12 AM
I am glad the voices of wisdom have chimed in, i.e. Dennis Reinhart, RF Overlord, and SergntMac. Some how I know that they would address the tread. One of the many beauties of the board is the abundance of knowledge and diversification. The price of a chip is insignificant to me in overall mod game. If I change my opinion about this chip or decide to convert to one supplied by Dennis, I have options. One thing is for sure I will continue to purchase products from Mr. Reinhart. AZ Supercharged the choices are easy for you, to be or not to be?

On another note I was at Cotter’s Garage in Serryville Virginia yesterday (You know the Duke’s of Hazards) and he said that he would bring out the General Lee for a photo opportunity with my Marauder Sunday. Well, you know how this story is going to end. I will post the photos later this week.

:beer:

TripleTransAm
07-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by merc

On another note I was at Cotter’s Garage in Serryville Virginia yesterday (You know the Duke’s of Hazards) and he said that he would bring out the General Lee for a photo opportunity with my Marauder Sunday. Well, you know how this story is going to end. I will post the photos later this week.

I stopped by in May 2001 on my way down to Chattanooga. Ben Jones is an amazing guy to talk to... he's not usually at the store on weekdays but came over just because I was coming down from so far away. We spoke about everything... a recent forest fire, the area around his store, local economics, the state of current country music (we're both 'old-school' country lovers)... spoke like he'd known me for years.

I owe him a picture of my little boy in his autographed T-shirts... my wife and I had no idea if it would be a boy or girl back then, so he made it out to 'Baby'! Pretty cute...

Make sure you get to sit in the car with him on the hood... he's a great showman and I promise the photo will be a keeper!

http://www.tripletransam.com/misc-old/ws6_general_2.jpg

merc
07-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Ok, I have 13 shoots of the General Lee, Ben Jones, and my wife (Mrs. Merc) in multiple formats. I will develop them tomorrow and soon after scanned.

:pimp:

Ross
07-07-2003, 09:19 AM
I have a Diablo chip burned and installed by Strictly Performance in Houston. I like the performance difference, and since they installed it, they will reburn it without cost if I have new gears installed, or if it needs a reburn for whatever reason. Check out your speed shop, and go with a shop you can trust.

merc
07-11-2003, 10:33 AM
Pictures of the General Lee , Ben Jones, and Mrs Merc posted in the Photo Gallery