PDA

View Full Version : charleston S.C. Fire

chapel1
06-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Nine firefighter's died fighting a fire last night in Charleston S.C. .Prayers go out for those familys.
Untill now I really did'nt know how blessed Gail and I are.
Our son is a firefighter in Charleston (St. Andrews Parish) and he was at the fire last night, and He got to go home. Thats all I can say,we just feel grateful.
Ken is pretty depressed and still has to go back to work his regular shift this A.M. That's a Blessing..

MACFORD88
06-19-2007, 07:14 AM
God Bless All Firefighters.my Heart Gos Out To Those Familys That Lost A Loved One.

Bluerauder
06-19-2007, 07:17 AM
Nine firefighter's died fighting a fire last night in Charleston S.C. .Prayers go out for those familys.
Very sad and unfortunate incident. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends in Charleston. :( Heard on the news that the roof collapsed and trapped the entire crew. :bigcry:

Seems like more of these types of incidents are happening over the past several years. Here in Prince William County we just lost a young Firefighter only 8 months into his rookie year when he got separated from his buddy searching for possible victims in heavy smoke inside a residence. Unfortunately for the firemen, no one was in the house ... they were sitting inside a neighbor's house across the street drinking coffee and watching their house burn down. Didn't even bother to come out and inform the firemen of the situation. What the H3LL is up with that??? :mad: An unnecessary and unfortunate death.

MM03MOK
06-19-2007, 07:25 AM
Gary & Gail - our thoughts and prayers to those families, fellow firefighters and to Ken.

Marauder386
06-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Was there after work last night after monitoring it from the PV wasnt able to help much as all bases where covered. My club Bud Jerry got to go home also. I am tired now have to go back to work today but am trying to get some car benefit thing going...coffee is done...yay...

8)

rayjay
06-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Deepest sympathy to the families that lost heros last night. RIP and thank you for answering the call.

Ken
06-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Gary & Gail - our thoughts and prayers to those families, fellow firefighters and to Ken.+1, Mary summed it up.

Ken

Marauderman
06-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Very sad and unfortunate incident. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends in Charleston. :( Heard on the news that the roof collapsed and trapped the entire crew. :bigcry:

Seems like more of these types of incidents are happening over the past several years. Here in Prince William County we just lost a young Firefighter only 8 months into his rookie year when he got separated from his buddy searching for possible victims in heavy smoke inside a residence. Unfortunately, no one was in the house ... they were sitting inside a neighbor's house across the street drinking coffee and watching their house burn down. Didn't even bother to come out and inform the firemen of the situation. What the H3LL is up with that??? :mad: An unnecessary and unfortunate death.

The same thing happend to me while in Pr.Wm Cty back in the 70's while I was at Engine Co.11 (Stonewall Jackson)---

There were four of us dropping by at lunch from our normal job, during the work week(we were Vol.Firemen)--call came in as a working structure fire -- 3 blocks from the station--we responded on our engine and arrived with flames out the second story of a three story townhouse----people were yelling "they are upstairs--always taking a nap at this time of the day--please get them"--crap--we were told a mom and her baby were up there--me and another guy went up stairs without water--just our backpaks--the other one held a hose at the door , the other working the engine from the hydrant--waiting on other companies to arrive on the same call--me and my partner got up stairs --he went left and I right--we covered each wall and opening--could not see your hands in front of you--the second floor was on fire in the kitchen --under the bedroom I was in --then he and I both ran out of air--had to find our way back to the top of the stairts where we remembered a window above the second where the fire was shooting out--we broke open the window to get air and then hit the floor to crawl back to the front door--we got back out and rested at the rear truck--to be told --the Mom and baby were at the neighbors down the block watching her house burn---

Me and my buddy about bought the farm-------Yes--I know its dangerous------there is another story where the roof fell in we were on at a grocery store at 3am one morning--we felt the roof flexing and jumped to the next roof just as it fell in--

Yes--M highest tribute goes out to these men and all firemen--regardless of vol or paid--they are all heros--EACH DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

fastblackmerc
06-19-2007, 02:34 PM
+1, Mary summed it up.

Ken
+2.........

Vortex
06-19-2007, 05:34 PM
These guys are true heros and I mourn their deaths like everyone else. However, Id like to put it in perspective:

http://icasualties.org/oif/prdDetails.aspx?hndRef=6-2007

Marauder386
06-20-2007, 04:42 AM
Thank you very much Vortex for taking this thread and using it to exploit your personal political views...we greatly appreciate your flexing of your free speech rights but I personally am hurt that you did this...

This tragedy is the first one, since 9-11-01, that killed such a large number of these men that run into danger that the rest of us run away from...

:cool:

Mike Poore
06-20-2007, 04:48 AM
These guys are true heros and I mourn their deaths like everyone else. However, Id like to put it in perspective:

http://icasualties.org/oif/prdDetails.aspx?hndRef=6-2007

That is not this ...shame on you. :nono:

juno
06-20-2007, 05:50 AM
Thank you very much Vortex for taking this thread and using it to exploit your personal political views...we greatly appreciate your flexing of your free speech rights but I personally am hurt that you did this...

This tragedy is the first one, since 9-11-01, that killed such a large number of these men that run into danger that the rest of us run away from...

:cool:

+1
Yes, that was a pretty low class move.

Jimimac43
06-20-2007, 06:25 AM
My sympathy goes out to those families, I am so glad your son was safe. I am a retired F/F and when someone goes down it rips my heart out of my chest. Those brave souls will be at GODS right hand!!!! Go in peace brothers.

chapel1
06-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Thank you all for listening to me. I'm a parent who really didn't understand what firefighters do?
I've learned that firefighters just don't hang out at the firehouse . That firefighters are always getting and being trained. Firefighters work hard even when you don't see them on the street. Besides clean-up and maintenance they learn to go into the direction where most people are coming from.

Thank You all