PDA

View Full Version : Beer - Pale Ale Specifically

KillJoy
06-19-2007, 12:51 PM
To anyone interested, there is a Brewery here in Columbus that has begun bottling their beer, and selling it in stores. I am not sure if it is only local, or has fanned out yet.

They are the Columbus Brewing Company, and their Pale Ale is simply AMAZING!!! It seems to be a bit more hoppy than normal Pale's, but no where near an IPA.

For those that have had some of my "Beer in a Jug" (Barley's Smokehouse Pale Ale), this is just as good, with a slightly more bitter tone.

Overall.... :up: :up:

KillJoy

Zack
06-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Why are you telling us this?

Tell us when your mom starts fanning out to the corners of my neighborhood.

Smack!

RCSignals
06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
His mom? ?

Mike Poore
06-19-2007, 02:56 PM
His mom? ?

Never mind.

Good IPA's are a treasure, and we have our share of 'em back east. The offerings from Troeg's in Harrisburg are excellent, (I took many to MMV-III)
and Dogfish Head in Rehoboth Beach DE is making three varieties: a 60, minute a 90 Minute and a 120 Minute that's to die for.

Say anything about KillJoy you want, but Steve knows beer, and always brings the best ones to the MM gatherings to share with his friends. :)

KillJoy
06-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Dogfish Head in Rehoboth Beach DE is making three varieties: a 60, minute a 90 Minute and a 120 Minute that's to die for.

These have made it to stores around here in bottles. An I DO agree. That 90 is about a close to liquid sex as you can get :D

:beer:

KillJoy

MERCMAN
06-19-2007, 03:31 PM
These have made it to stores around here in bottles. An I DO agree. That 90 is about a close to liquid sex as you can get :D

KillJoy

Liquid sex? Oh, you mean you quit buying the large drums of hand creme at Cost-Co?

KillJoy
06-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Liquid sex? Oh, you mean you quit buying the large drums of hand creme at Cost-Co?

:rolleyes:

:D

KillJoy

Mad4Macs
06-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Dogfish's speciality beers: Midas Touch, Chateau Jiahu, NOW yer talking brews!
Personally, though, my fav's are Karmeliet's Tripel and LaTrappe's Quad.
Beer doesn't become interesting until it hits 10%ABV and above.

SC Cheesehead
06-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Dogfish's speciality beers: Midas Touch, Chateau Jiahu, NOW yer talking brews!
Personally, though, my fav's are Karmeliet's Tripel and LaTrappe's Quad.
Beer doesn't become interesting until it hits 10%ABV and above.
Me, I'm from the Will Rogers school of beer appreciation:

I never met a beer I didn't like!:D

SCCH

Canadasvt
06-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Have they moved the alcohol up to 5% in the U.S. yet? Keiths and MacLays are the IPAs I drink up here. Mmmm, beer!

CRUZTAKER
06-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Have they moved the alcohol up to 5% in the U.S. yet?

Ages ago.
No longer do we need to smuggle hi-end (but mostly stale) Canadian beers.

Cleveland's own Great Lakes Brewery has a dozen labels well over 5% and a christmas special ale at near 11%.

sweetair
06-20-2007, 06:38 AM
I've had Dogfish's 60 minute pale ale and it is pretty good. One of my old favorites is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I always keep stock of that in my "beer" fridge. I need to try the others mentioned.:beer:

GA-Marauder
06-20-2007, 06:43 AM
One of my old favorites is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I always keep stock of that in my "beer" fridge. I need to try the others mentioned.:beer:

+1 on Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It's not one of the more exotic/hard to find products, but its pretty darn tasty!:beer:

Dragcity
06-20-2007, 07:09 AM
So, what's all this about beer?

Try Southerntier IPA, one of my favorites. I have had just about all those mentioned.

I have not yet seen the Pale Ale here.

Been to Great Lakes Brewery several times. Great stuff. Virgina has Old Dominion, great lunch menu and had to try to try all their beers.

Oh, and Chicago - The Ram with $1.50 Imperial Pints on Tuesdays. MMMMMM, And can't forget The Yard House. I once asked for a yard of Golden Drak. They laughed.

Belgians is the broadest category of them all. One of my personal favorites to Brew, Judge, and just drink. Try Anything from Unibroue out of Canada, and don't worry about freshness, the older the better..... If you can get your hands on a bottle of Quelquechose - just get it. I try to make that annually, good, but not even close.....Ony Bronze Medal standard...

I am of the belief, Go Big or Go Home. I like beer that tastes like beer.... there certainly is room for light and pale ales, even a 70 shilling on day you can't over-indulge.

If you all want to learn lots about beer catagories, styles and "classic examples", check out the BJCP site HERE (http://www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.html) and browse the guidelines.

Last weekend, our local beer club made a "traditional" Egyptian beer. No hops back then.... We mashed malted barley, malted wheat, unmalted sprouted barley, old Egyptian bread (baked several days prior) and honey. Wormwood was used for bittering, and boy, a little goes a long way....

Oh, I am just rambeling....

I will keep my eyes peeled for that Pale Ale. Thanks for the heads-up.

frdwrnch
06-20-2007, 07:33 AM
OK all you pale ale fans, try Flying Dog Doggie Style Pale ale (they also have an IPA). It tastes more like my home brew than anything I can buy. Meanwhile, I'll keeps my eyes peeled for this "Amazing" New Pale ale.

Dragcity
06-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Oops, I left out Weeping Radish in NC.

Looks like we have a few homebrewers here. Nice !