PDA

View Full Version : Lost job because of Merger

mtenderenda
06-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Yesterday was my last of work...I was there for 6 yrs...Because the company merged with another company...I was let go yesterday :(...I already started to look for work...Its a stressful situation....I hope I find something in 3 months.....
Mark

Bluerauder
06-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Yesterday was my last of work...I was there for 6 yrs...Because the company merged with another company...I was let go yesterday :(...I already started to look for work...Its a stressful situation....I hope I find something in 3 months.....
Mark

Dayum .... sorry to hear of your troubles. Hope the search for the new job goes well and comes in much sooner than your estimate. :( Where are you located and what do you do? Or like/want to do?

mtenderenda
06-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks Bluerauder for your kind words....Yeah it was a suprise to me....I am a System Administrator/ Desktop Support...Or you can call me a techie....I'm around the Northern New Jersey Area.....

jgc61sr2002
06-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Also sorry to hear that.:( Keep a positive attitude and things will work out.
Good luck.

mtenderenda
06-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks John for the kind words....Yeah of course I am defiinitely going thru this with a postivie attitude...Girlfriend is really supportive too...

MM03MOK
06-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Sorry to hear that, Mark. Along with searching job postings, consider networking here http://www.linkedin.com/. Connect with people you know and make connections especially for the job market. Fill in all your work and school detail, just like a resume. It's free though there is a subscription level too with more features.

CRUZTAKER
06-26-2007, 03:09 PM
I would hate to have to look for another now. :depress:
Good luck and he're to moving on to something better.;)

Local Boy
06-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Sorry to hear that Brutha. Good luck on the search. Remember...When one door closes, many others open. ALOHA

RCSignals
06-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your search

1stMerc
06-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks Bluerauder for your kind words....Yeah it was a suprise to me....I am a System Administrator/ Desktop Support...Or you can call me a techie....I'm around the Northern New Jersey Area.....

Not exactly what i wanted hear. I'm also in IT and company is going through merger proceedings. You've probably heard of the most recent one. A BIIIIG SURPRISE to all of us.

Good luck in your pursuits. Hopefully it will be better than where you left.

mtenderenda
06-26-2007, 05:27 PM
1st Merc...I worked for Bank of New York...They're merging with Mellon.....So are you talking bout them?
Mark

FordNut
06-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Sorry to hear that. My company sold out at the first of the year, the new management is clueless so I've been looking too. Unfortunately I'm over-qualified for everything I've found so far.

pantheroc
06-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Sorry to hear. Hope you have luck finding something. FYI, what about a small city/suburb administrator? Current benefits and retirement benefits may be better than at a company these days. I know, I got d!cked on retirement benefits at a very large company.

1stMerc
06-26-2007, 07:29 PM
1st Merc...I worked for Bank of New York...They're merging with Mellon.....So are you talking bout them?
Mark

I'm talking about A G Edwards (me) and Wachovia.

1stMerc
06-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Unfortunately I'm over-qualified for everything I've found so far.

I was at that point about ten years ago (my choosing). Hope i don't have to go through it again at current age of 50.

There are times when to much education can be a curse.

Good luck!!!

Bigdogjim
06-26-2007, 08:38 PM
I am working in Elizabeth, NJ now I will check and see if have any thing open and PM you.

PFG/AFI Foodservice

www.afifoods.com (http://www.afifoods.com)

sailsmen
06-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Good luck.

Follow what you are passionate about and you will do well.

I was fired in 1996 and 2006, I can't work for someone that tells me whatever I want to hear. Neither firing had anything to do with job performance.

I started my own company. My partner is 26. I have no ownership interest. The company leases the use of my name to be negoitiated annually, much like an apartment.

magindat
06-27-2007, 04:59 AM
You should have no problem finding work. I am in IT in the banking industry as well. IT is always in demand and IT with emphasis in banking is a good selling point.

Here's what you gotta do, tho...

Chin up. Employers and interviewers are looking for confidence in yourself, skills and work ethic. I know you're down right now, but you can't let the search get you down more. The interviewers can see it on you and it airs as a lack of confidence. Stay upbeat, positive and keep in mind you got cut cuz of dollars and cents, not cuz of shortcomings in your self.

I ain't never scared of losing my position with my company. I know I have the skills, experience and knowledge to command my current salary and more. Have that attitude and not one of fear and need and you'll land a new position with higher pay!

mtenderenda
06-27-2007, 05:26 AM
Thanks all for your responses...Any help would be appreciated......We are all here to help each other....What comes aroung goes around...You help me ill help you..
Mark

ckadiddle
06-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Good luck in your search. Sometimes things happen for a reason. One door opens, when another closes.

Yeah right! Lets cut the crap out. It sucks! And it's gonna suck for a while. Fake a positive attitude during interviews. Sell yourself hard. You are the best damm thing to happen to each company you interview with and you know it.

Consider taking a lower salary and working in government. I am in govt IT, been here over sixteen years. One (politically motivated) layoff about six years ago was the first ever in the history of the organization. I could make around twice what I make in my specialty if I moved to non-govt employment, but I am staying here for the retirement paycheck and retirement health insurance.

Downside is you gotta have a high BS and clown tolerance level. ;)

MENINBLK
06-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi mtenderenda,

Sorry to hear of your employment loss.

I was let go from a 13 year position with Creative Labs due to a companywide restructure last March.
It is serious business when a company thinks of its employees as a way to CUT EXPENSES,
yet it has no conscious when it comes to the affect it will have on the thousands of people's lives.

I have been looking for work and also preparing to start my very own career.

As Mary stated, visit www.LinkedIn.com and contact as many people as you know...
Friends, Family, Co-Workers, neighbors, school mates, etc.
It is a great way to START looking for leads.
They also have a plug-in for Internet Explorer and Firefox so when you are cruising through the classifieds,
LinkedIn cruises for contacts that may be able to get you in contact with the necessary people for a job interview.

It is a tough part of the year, right now, to be unemployed.
Just keep searching for employment in what you love to do best,
and it will find you when you least expect it....

LordVader
06-28-2007, 06:31 AM
I feel your pain. I went through the same thing exactly a year ago, with a merger (that's what they called it). All their employees stayed and ours were redundant. Had to move from Texas to NY, but in the end it all worked out. Another place you can check out is Dice.com.

mtenderenda
06-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Yes I put myself onto Dice.com already...I am already getting 1 and 2 responses a day....So it looks good so far...

Dragcity
06-28-2007, 12:27 PM
If you have any questions about interviewing skills, let me know....

I have a very good friend who is a Headhunter, Not sure if he does NJ, but I'll ask.

Government and Universities are great opportunities. Lots of work to be done.

Good luck.

Marauder
06-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Where are you located? My company is hiring a lot lately.

mtenderenda
06-28-2007, 05:00 PM
I am looking around the Northern Jersey area / New York City..
Mark

Aren Jay
07-08-2007, 12:21 AM
That is always bad news. See a Head Hunter for help.

Related does everyone here have a contingency plan just in case?

I have my AAPL stock and small bank account. Then again I don't have a job so I can't lose it. But when I do again, I will build both the bank account and the investment account so that I don't have to worry if something happens. I also need to build up my retirement investment fund. But if all goes well by the time i'm 45 I will be able to retire once and for all. I only wish I started when I was 25.