PDA

View Full Version : F-350 Ignition replacement HELP!

Master
06-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Hey folks,
I was wondering if anyone has some sage advice for getting into the ignition switch on my 89 F-350 (with tilt and cruise, automatic). The switch rotates all the way around with no resistance, doesn't engage the solenoid, and doesn't spring return. Seems squeegied. I checked on line for help and the best answer I found said I should unbolt the ignition (duh!) and then moved right on to the next steps. What I need to know is how to get into this tight little Fort Knox of a column to get at the bolts in the first place. The shroud under the instrument cluster is easy, but the shift lever/collar and intermediate collar between the wheel and shifter seem impenetrable. If I can just get these off, surely I can get the remainder taken care of.
Thoughts? Advice? Comments (Barring "Get a new truck"!)?

Richy04
06-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Check to see if its like the GM with the rod on top and it runs down to the switch at the lower end of the column.

Master
06-26-2007, 05:48 PM
The rod does run along the top of the column. Does this help?

JMan
06-27-2007, 02:25 AM
Master,
If the switch is on the top of the column, you may not have to do anything to get at it. A worse case would be drop the column down to replace. Simply unbolt it and lift away from the column. Your new switch will have to be installed properly and there may be literature that comes with it. If not, try to get the info before starting. If I recall correctly, new switches are installed in the "Run" position. It might be wise to disconnect the battery neg. cable before doing that job.

Best luck,

J