PDA

View Full Version : MCM, MM.NET, and Real Life

dwasson
06-27-2007, 05:39 AM
I've come to believe that the split with MCM.COM was inevitable. It is wired into our monkey brain to feel uncomfortable in large groups. And as the MM.NET community became larger, there were more pressures driving it apart.

Brian Dunbar found that monkeys spend a lot of effort grooming each other. This grooming is believed to be the method that monkeys use for reinforcing bonds within the community. As the size of the troop increases the grooming time required to keep the community cohesive increased to the point that it interfered with other parts of the monkey's lives (food gathering, sleep, and other cool monkey activities.

We see this happening in the Marauder community. As the number of people posting to MM.NET grew it became more difficult to be noticed as an individual. Some members, the most attention seeking, developed methods of getting more attention from the community. Some, tried performing community service, becoming admins, or volunteering to run OASIS reports for members. Others, recognizing that they had knowledge that others didn't, attempted to share that knowledge with the group. A smaller segment, with less to offer, pontificated on meaningless topics like naming your favorite punk band.

Like in the monkey troop, these efforts to gain attention all worked to varying degrees. The members that needed attention were acknowledged by others, just as the monkeys groomed each other. So, Zippy gets a stroke on the head from Cheetah after bringing in fruit from the tallest tree, Bongo gets to touch Mimi after he scared off the eagle, and Zack gets yelled at for throwing feces.

Check out this article on the monkeysphere. (http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/monkeysphere.html)

CBT
06-27-2007, 05:52 AM
A smaller segment, with less to offer, pontificated on meaningless topics like naming your favorite punk band.

Fugazi is my favorite punk band.

Pat
06-27-2007, 06:01 AM
My mother used to call be "you little monkey" when I was a toddler. So........
and my Mother is never wrong.

My wife now tells me to "wipe my feet". I guess that's the modern rendition of Monkey grooming.

Pat

ckadiddle
06-27-2007, 08:16 AM
I wholeheartedly acknowledge that I have little to offer the monkey farm, other than making funny faces and googley eyes from time to time.

sailsmen
06-27-2007, 09:05 AM
To convert to human talk, everybody has one but not everybody acts like one.

There is one in very crowd. When the crowd gets big enough the ones become many competing with each other at which point the crowd becomes angry and throws them out!:banana:

dwasson
06-27-2007, 09:26 AM
....or alternatively, a few monkeys decide that they aren't getting what they need from the troop, so they move away and start a new troop. Likeminded monkeys join them and, feeling threatened, the silverbacks in the old troop declare them to be "other".

sailsmen
06-27-2007, 10:10 AM
... or they are smart enough to throw out those who threaten them.

I throw out clients who are *********s and who threaten me.

Meteorite
06-27-2007, 10:16 AM
....or alternatively, a few monkeys decide that they aren't getting what they need from the troop, so they move away and start a new troop. Likeminded monkeys join them and, feeling threatened, the silverbacks in the old troop declare them to be "other".
Yes, yes, but is there any analog in the monkey world to the crazy sort of chimp who keeps going back and forth between both of the troops after they split?:seesaw:

dwasson
06-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Yes, yes, but is there any analog in the monkey world to the crazy sort of chimp who keeps going back and forth between both of the troops after they split?:seesaw:

I suppose that there could be a few "Monkey Anthropologists".

dwasson
06-27-2007, 10:42 AM
... or they are smart enough to throw out those who threaten them.

I throw out clients who are *********s and who threaten me.

If you can be threatened by a forum post you can probably be ***** by mail. Butch up.

Motorhead350
06-27-2007, 10:46 AM

I still like Minor Threat more.

As the number of people posting to MM.NET grew it became more difficult to be noticed as an individual. meaningless topics like naming your favorite punk band.

I don't know what you're talking about. ;) How dare you call my interest meaningless, what's this one prove? :tantrum:

RCSignals
06-27-2007, 10:47 AM
none of this has any bearing on the issue of un banning the banned.
Ignore it as a distraction

Motorhead350
06-27-2007, 10:51 AM
If those people were smarta$$es they could have just signed up with the same name, with a number or one number up like I did last year. I had one post as Motorhead351 before that one out to an end. :o

sailsmen
06-27-2007, 11:33 AM
If you can be threatened by a forum post you can probably be ***** by mail. Butch up.

Your "feeling threatened" statement not mine and I thought you were talking about monkeys and behavior.

Monkeys are not known to use the internet or mail service, although sometimes it seems like they are.

I caught part of Planet of the Apes on saturday, what a great movie.

MENINBLK
06-27-2007, 11:41 AM
My monkey lives in my trunk...

http://www.trunkmonkeyad.com/4wmv.htm

Blackened300a
06-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I don't know what you're talking about. ;) How dare you call my interest meaningless, what's this one prove? :tantrum:

Meaning its a car forum, Im sure there are a million music oriented forums out there with members that would love to read every word of your well articulated informative threads. :rolleyes:

STLR FN
06-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Is it safe to spank your monkey? :eek: :D

DefyantExWife
06-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Is it safe to spank your monkey? :eek: :D

:eek: uh sure it is, STLR FN, help yourself ... spank Dwasson's monkey :run:

CRUZTAKER
06-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Great analogy Dwasson. I can agree.;)

I wholeheartedly acknowledge that I have little to offer the monkey farm, other than making funny faces and googley eyes from time to time.

We all have our place...:D
http://sudsgear.com/link-images/brew-monkey.gif

:up:

There are some of those types....
http://www.mp3.com.au/img/artist/Bad%20Monkey_RESIZED.jpg

dwasson
06-27-2007, 04:41 PM
:eek: uh sure it is, STLR FN, help yourself ... spank Dwasson's monkey :run:

Yeah, after the last Dream Cruise the nice policewoman kept asking, "Where did the mean man touch you?"

Shora
06-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Meaning its a car forum, Im sure there are a million music oriented forums out there with members that would love to read every word of your well articulated informative threads. :rolleyes:

I agree with you 100%. I cannot stand those threads or the many other guessing threads here. Guess what car was given to me. Guess how many miles I drive to work/ get per gallon but...Motorhead is a nice person and many people here just eat up his threads like Hotcakes.

I guess what I am saying is that even though his threads are untraditional they get enough posts/ views to make them enjoyable to many in the community.

Blackened300a
06-27-2007, 06:18 PM
I guess what I am saying is that even though his threads are untraditional they get enough posts/ views to make them enjoyable to many in the community.

That should be put to a poll, Maybe we can stop the madness!

dwasson
06-27-2007, 06:48 PM
That should be put to a poll, Maybe we can stop the madness!

I've already signed the petitition.

GreekGod
06-27-2007, 09:04 PM
The hominids are the members of the biological family (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_family) Hominidae (the great apes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape)), which includes humans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human), chimpanzees (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimpanzee), gorillas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla), and orangutans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangutan).

(most) Monkeys have tails, and apes do not.

Leadfoot281
06-27-2007, 09:18 PM
I agree with you 100%. I cannot stand those threads or the many other guessing threads here. Guess what car was given to me. Guess how many miles I drive to work/ get per gallon but...Motorhead is a nice person and many people here just eat up his threads like Hotcakes.

You don't like "The lounge" forum? It seems to be the second biggest forum here by judging the number of threads and posts. In fact, with the exception of "The community" forum, The lounge is bigger than all the other threads combined.

Without the Lounge we wouldn't have had Dans extremely fun automotive trivia threads.

Reading nothing but "what's wrong with my wipers" threads would get insanely boring after a while. Half the time you just get a "use the search button" for a response anyway.

Now can we get back to the original topic of this thread?! I believe it had something to do with...um... Marauders....? :rolleyes: :D

Leadfoot281
06-27-2007, 09:45 PM
I've come to believe that the split with MCM.COM was inevitable. It is wired into our monkey brain to feel uncomfortable in large groups. And as the MM.NET community became larger, there were more pressures driving it apart.

Brian Dunbar found that monkeys spend a lot of effort grooming each other. This grooming is believed to be the method that monkeys use for reinforcing bonds within the community. As the size of the troop increases the grooming time required to keep the community cohesive increased to the point that it interfered with other parts of the monkey's lives (food gathering, sleep, and other cool monkey activities.

We see this happening in the Marauder community. As the number of people posting to MM.NET grew it became more difficult to be noticed as an individual. Some members, the most attention seeking, developed methods of getting more attention from the community. Some, tried performing community service, becoming admins, or volunteering to run OASIS reports for members. Others, recognizing that they had knowledge that others didn't, attempted to share that knowledge with the group. A smaller segment, with less to offer, pontificated on meaningless topics like naming your favorite punk band.

Like in the monkey troop, these efforts to gain attention all worked to varying degrees. The members that needed attention were acknowledged by others, just as the monkeys groomed each other. So, Zippy gets a stroke on the head from Cheetah after bringing in fruit from the tallest tree, Bongo gets to touch Mimi after he scared off the eagle, and Zack gets yelled at for throwing feces.

Check out this article on the monkeysphere. (http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/monkeysphere.html)

I've had my '04 SB MM since 8-04. I haven't pulled the dipstick out once. I've never even seen the oil filter. I suppose I'm a dirty monkey? Just a lazy monkey that doesn't contribute to my internet family of primates?

Exactly what are we supposed to be contibuting too? How the heck can I possibly help groom the rest of you? Every one should know by now that I love Mothers waxes.

I've got 51k miles on the car. 100% trouble free with stock alignment. This must make me useless. :bigcry: I'm a dirty, filthy, ungroomed monkey... Lol!

Oh, wait. I did stick on some SS inserts. I also bolted on a set of Zacks CA's.

Shall I become a usefull member of this little tribe of apes and explain in great detail how I "installed" the SS inserts? Maybe posting pictures of hot women will add to this little community of chimps.

No flames intended Dan, but this monkey analogy doesn't hold a lot of water.

Motorhead350
06-27-2007, 11:39 PM

Hey now we got a few music buffs in here too and I know some are also into guns... heck lets start one on guns! Punk and Violence, I think I'm going to rip off a song by The Exploited, but they had a different word then punk. :D Alright back to meaningfull topics here. :P

JMan
06-28-2007, 04:55 AM
I'm apparently just a monkey and not a great ape -

My favorite punk band name is the "Monkey Spankers".

If I do something worthy of banning, put all your weight on my throat! If I start a senseless thread, ignore it! If I disrupt, subversively, actions or functions of this site and its members, cast me off and don't look back!:D

JMan

P.S. If I start sounding like Zack, someone local come pound me!!! :lol:

KillJoy
06-28-2007, 05:30 AM
I agree with you 100%. I cannot stand those threads or the many other guessing threads here. Guess what car was given to me. Guess how many miles I drive to work/ get per gallon but...

Ahhh, and this here brings in Free Will. If you see a Topic that does not interest you, don't click on it. Quite simple actually...

;)

KillJoy

Blackened300a
06-28-2007, 05:33 AM
Ahhh, and this here brings in Free Will. If you see a Topic that does not interest you, don't click on it. Quite simple actually...

Exactly, but its about saving bandwidth for more usefull things that are car related.

juno
06-28-2007, 05:46 AM
Uhhh, I thought there were only 4 Monkees?

(Peter tork??, Mike Nesmith, Davy Jones and Mickey Dolan)

I don't recall them throwing their feces, but they did groom each other a lot!

dwasson
06-28-2007, 05:51 AM
Uhhh, I thought there were only 4 Monkees?

(Peter tork??, Mike Nesmith, Davy Jones and Mickey Dolan)

I don't recall them throwing their feces, but they did groom each other a lot!

They didn't throw it but they did record it.

Meteorite
06-28-2007, 05:55 AM
They didn't throw it but they did record it.
Quit hating on The Monkees, Dan. That's my favorite band!

KillJoy
06-28-2007, 05:58 AM
Exactly, but its about saving bandwidth for more usefull things that are car related.

I did not know the site was hurting for bandwidth. I guess I will contribute some additional, to help us upgrade....

KillJoy

CRUZTAKER
06-28-2007, 06:08 AM

Losing your animated GIF avitar would save more bandwidth that not posting a silly thread in the lounge.

The we hate Motorheads posts bandwagon has left quite some time ago.
If you hurry up really fast....:sleepy:

Meteorite
06-28-2007, 06:11 AM
I did not know the site was hurting for bandwidth. I guess I will contribute some additional, to help us upgrade....

KillJoy
It's not a bandwidth problem in the strict sense. But it sure does get harder to find those golden needles in the haystack of Look-At-Me posts.

I am currently reading Cryptonomicon (http://www.cryptonomicon.com/main.html), by Neal Stephenson. One of the main themes of the book is how to pick up valuable communication out of a stream of seemingly random noise.

I find that the preponderance of off-topic posts makes this harder. Imagine, also, a first-time visitor to the site. What will be their impression of the value of the site if it is 95% "puff" posts?

Yours truly,
Meteorite - Royal Oak, Michigan

dwasson
06-28-2007, 06:20 AM
Quit hating on The Monkees, Dan. That's my favorite band!

Well, I am actually a fan of Michael Nesmith. He is a very talented guy.

SC Cheesehead
06-28-2007, 06:54 AM
and Zack gets yelled at for throwing feces.

Hmmmmm, wonder if it's a BLUE thing?:confused:

SCCH

MM03MOK
06-28-2007, 07:10 AM
Well, I am actually a fan of Michael Nesmith. He is a very talented guy.I had the pleasure of meeting Mike when I ran a local access TV studio about 10 years ago. He married the sister of a friend of mine. I hardly recognized him because of his graying hair!

Meteorite
06-28-2007, 07:18 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Mike when I ran a local access TV studio about 10 years ago. He married the sister of a friend of mine. I hardly recognized him because of his graying hair!
Was he still wearing his trademark wool cap (from the Monkees TV show)? Or has he given that up?

juno
06-28-2007, 08:14 AM
They had a few good songs -
Besides, they were always "too busy singing to put anybody down"

Last Train to Clarksville
Daydream Believer
(I'm not your) Stepping Stone
I'm a Believer

And my favorite

Gonna buy Me a Dog

By Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart

You know my girl just called me up
And she woke me from my sleep
You should have heard the things she said
You know she hurt my feelings deep.
I'm gonna buy me a dog [A dog, a dog! Why?]
'Cause I need a friend now. [Say, you need all the friends you can get]
I'm gonna buy me a dog,
My girl, my girl, don't love me no how.

She used to bring me my newspaper
'Cause she knew where it was at.
She used to keep me so contented.
But I can teach a dog to do that.
I'm gonna buy me a dog,
'Cause I need a friend now
I'm gonna buy me a dog,
My girl, my girl, don't love me no how.

MM03MOK
06-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Was he still wearing his trademark wool cap (from the Monkees TV show)? Or has he given that up?
No and that's probably another reason I didn't recognize him!

magindat
06-28-2007, 09:52 AM
I fling poo at this thread.

http://www2.gvsu.edu/%7Elefevera/Pictures/realBanner.gif

Meteorite
06-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Why you ... !!! Just wait'll I finish reading this book:

http://www.fileitunder.com/uploaded_images/monkey-703902.jpg

I fling poo at this thread.

http://www2.gvsu.edu/%7Elefevera/Pictures/realBanner.gif

blackf0rk
06-28-2007, 11:02 AM
So is this a thread we post in to get attention?

GreekGod
06-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Some hominids eat poo, and have a poo eating grin on their face. Some get poo on their nose, when they follow their boss-man around. Some are told to eat poo, and die. Me, I sure am glad I didn't step in it.

juno
06-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Cool! And the author of this book is...........

Why you ... !!! Just wait'll I finish reading this book:

http://www.fileitunder.com/uploaded_images/monkey-703902.jpg

prchrman
06-28-2007, 11:44 AM
This is what poo flinging monkees drive...

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/sputniktoys_1953_3394890

Meteorite
06-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Cool! And the author of this book is...........
I'm working from memory here, but I think it was Dr. Hu Fling Pu ...

juno
06-28-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm working from memory here, but I think it was Dr. Hu Fling Pu ...

And I thought it was a member!

Mike Poore
06-28-2007, 01:06 PM
We tossed and spanked enough. Perhaps on another website, not here. please?