PDA

View Full Version : Camping

KillJoy
06-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Anyone here go camping? How do you go? Tent or camper? Rough it or utilities?

When I was little, my Dad and I went camping a LOT. We had a camper (not sure what kind, but it was something like "Sunbeam" or "Sundancer")

Before our Daughter was found out to be, I was in the process of the plannig stages of a Tear Drop Camper. Well, Gillian came along, and that want soon passed. I am now looking forward to her future. I enjoyed camping when I was young, and want to give her the same experiences.

The misses and I are looking for a camper of sorts. We would like an Airstream (if you gotta ask....don't ;) ) I would like a sub 25'...more along the lines of an 18' that has been gutted, to remodel as we like. :D

So....who's got Camping stories?

KillJoy

whoskal
06-28-2007, 08:29 PM
I go camping as often as I can............We hike in to our sites, usually 5-10 miles out in the middle of the woods...take what you can carry

It's just me but I don't consider sleeping in a tin can I pulled behind my truck camping.

However.....to each his own

One time we had a bear in our site while we were out at the hot springs.......the bear knocked some stuff over but that was about it...the funny part of the story is that it didn't seem that the bear had taken anything......but the next day we found my wife's panties all torn up about 50 yards away from the site...YEP.. all the bear took was a pair of my wife's panties!!!..............TRUE STORY!

larryo340
06-28-2007, 09:06 PM
I like camping, but haven't been in too many years. When I did we used dome tents, but in a state park in Vermont, with I'm sorry to say with toilet and shower utilites. Full coolers of beer and food, and firewood readily available.
My ex used to call it Jewish camping, but it was nice to get far away from "Flat" I mean Long Island.
That was as extreme camping as I liked it.

teamrope
06-28-2007, 11:04 PM
The Army used to send me on a lot of camping trips.... Almost always in tents, but once in a while it was open air.

I've thought camping is so over rated ever since. :)

Haggis
06-29-2007, 05:51 AM
The Army used to send me on a lot of camping trips.... Almost always in tents, but once in a while it was open air.

I've thought camping is so over rated ever since. :)

You got a tent!!! I was lucky to have a foxhole, most of the time I slept next to a tree with my AG on the other side, doing 50/50.

KillJoy
06-29-2007, 05:57 AM
It's just me but I don't consider sleeping in a tin can I pulled behind my truck camping.

I agree. I go camping w/ my buds, sometimes no tent at all. With that being said, the Misses attempted to go camping in a tent with me once. All the little forrest critters kept her awake ALL night! HA! She refuses to EVER do that again. So...a compromise was reached, a Camper :up: And if I gotta get a Camper, then I want and Airstream :D

KillJoy

ckadiddle
06-29-2007, 06:49 AM
[quote=whoskal;508970]

....................[quote]
My idea of camping is staying in a motel room without wireless high speed internet access. :o:D

SC Cheesehead
06-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Used to do a lot of camping when the kids were young.

Started with a tent, then went to a pop-up, then a 24 ft trailer and finally a 32 ft that we parked on a seasonal site. Sold it after the kids got into HS.

The Ms. and I would like to start up again, maybe with something we could pull behind the MM.

BTW, did we ever resolve what the true towing weight for a Marauder is? Owner's manual says 1,500 lbs, but lots of opinions that the car can handle a lot more, especially if equipped with 4:10's.

SCCH

SID210SA
06-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Lisa and I went camping about 3 weeks ago.....at a park on the lake....no electricty but there were bathrooms not too far away.... we had a tent city going on...we went as a group about 11 people total and 5 tents. We also had 2 canopy's to cover our eating place. Lots of ice chests, lantern, flashlights and a battery powered fan. Lots of food and fun....just had a great time...

larryo340
06-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Lisa and I went camping about 3 weeks ago.....at a park on the lake....no electricty but there were bathrooms not too far away.... we had a tent city going on...we went as a group about 11 people total and 5 tents. We also had 2 canopy's to cover our eating place. Lots of ice chests, lantern, flashlights and a battery powered fan. Lots of food and fun....just had a great time...
What....no TV :rolleyes:

Bluerauder
06-29-2007, 08:55 AM
I.....but the next day we found my wife's panties all torn up about 50 yards away from the site...YEP.. all the bear took was a pair of my wife's panties!!!..............TRUE STORY!

I don't think I would have believed that story ... my wife would have to come up with a better one than that or some serious butt scratches. ;)

:jk:

I've thought camping is so over rated ever since.

Funny how some of us Army guys don't seem to get much of a thrill out of "camping" any more. :rolleyes:

I've been in GP teenie weenies, GP Small, GP Medium, vacant buildings, boy scout camps, curled up in the front seat of a jeep, and sprawled out under the open sky. Wet is OK. Cold is bearable. But wet & cold is a biatch !! :D

SID210SA
06-29-2007, 09:13 AM
What....no TV :rolleyes:

Ya know....its funny that you should mention that......we were gonna take a little 5" on to watch the Spurs game on...but they were playing again till after we got back.....:o

larryo340
06-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Ya know....its funny that you should mention that......we were gonna take a little 5" on to watch the Spurs game on...but they were playing again till after we got back.....:o
My buddy took a small TV once with power inverter, he just couldn't miss the Jets game on that Sunday. It just did not look right him sitting there near his truck watching TV. :loco: