PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a DOG

1of327
06-29-2007, 08:14 AM
I am trying to find a Dachsund puppy in maryland...its my wifes birthday this Saturday, and I want to buy one NOW!!!

Holla

Haggis
06-29-2007, 08:22 AM
No weiners here. :woof:

Bluerauder
06-29-2007, 08:41 AM
I am trying to find a Dachsund puppy in maryland...

What Anniversary !! I don't remember THAT on the Hallmark list at all. :D

The people next door to me have 3 of them; but I am pretty sure they'd notice if one came up missing ;) ... maybe not immediately ... but eventually. :rofl:

fastblackmerc
06-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Call the AKC (American Kennel Club) for a list of breeders in your area.

breeder refferals:
http://www.akc.org/breeders/index.cfm?nav_area=breeders

Good choice on the type of dog. We had 2, 1 long-haired & 1 short-haired, they were the best!

fastblackmerc
06-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Check this out to.

Dachshund Rescue

Metropolitan Baltimore Dachshund Club
Lori Bosley
3564 Messersmith Road
Seven Valleys, PA 17360-4884
Phone:717-792-3056 email:lbosley@juno.com

Metropolitan Washington Dachshund Club
Nancy Bamford
320 Port Place
Leonardtown MD 20650
(301) 475-8568

dwasson
06-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Good thing you didn't wait until the last minute.

larryo340
06-29-2007, 10:44 AM
you mean like this:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/0/2/6/aaa004.jpg
He's 4 years old, long haired and not for sale sorry.

Haggis
06-29-2007, 11:05 AM
you mean like this:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/0/2/6/aaa004.jpg
He's 4 years old, long haired and not for sale sorry.

We have a 'WEINER'.:D

knine
06-29-2007, 02:47 PM
O.K., fastblackmerc is actually astute here:

P.S., a weiner? :shake: uh.........let's not propogate that "sissy blue owner" image, how about a real dog? (Real dog definition: any dog that weighs at least 40 pounds as an adult).

Definitly check out rescues, all my past 5 dogs have been rescues over the past 14 years, wouldn't have given a single one of them up. Knick knack paddy whack, give a dog a home.:D.........then get your dog a dog. Dogs are pack animals and do much better with another than alone......................... ..just guessing here, no real experience to base that on;). Good luck, Knine.

Check this out to.

Dachshund Rescue

Metropolitan Baltimore Dachshund Club
Lori Bosley
3564 Messersmith Road
Seven Valleys, PA 17360-4884
Phone:717-792-3056 email:lbosley@juno.com

Metropolitan Washington Dachshund Club
Nancy Bamford
320 Port Place
Leonardtown MD 20650
(301) 475-8568

the_pack_rat
06-29-2007, 02:50 PM
http://www.petfinder.com/search.html

larryo340
06-29-2007, 06:11 PM

P.S., a weiner? :shake: uh.........let's not propogate that "sissy blue owner" image, how about a real dog? (Real dog definition: any dog that weighs at least 40 pounds as an adult).

Definitly check out rescues, all my past 5 dogs have been rescues over the past 14 years, wouldn't have given a single one of them up. Knick knack paddy whack, give a dog a home.:D.........then get your dog a dog. Dogs are pack animals and do much better with another than alone......................... ..just guessing here, no real experience to base that on;). Good luck, Knine.
I used to think little dogs were not real dogs too. My ex drove me so nuts that after we bought a house we ended up with this little hot dog. He grew on me with his big dog personality, and after the house was gone along with the wife I got him.
Don't knock it till you try one.:woof:

P.S.
added plus
smaller bill for dog food.

SC Cheesehead
06-29-2007, 06:21 PM

Hey, wait a minute! We've got four of the little rascals, and I consider all of them REAL dogs. (Actually, sometimes they're REAL PITAs).:lol:

SCCH

dwasson
06-29-2007, 06:22 PM
I used to think little dogs were not real dogs too. My ex drove me so nuts that after we bought a house we ended up with this little hot dog. He grew on me with his big dog personality, and after the house was gone along with the wife I got him.
Don't knock it till you try one.:woof:

P.S.
added plus
smaller bill for dog food.

I've been the national chair for Kuvasz Rescue for about 20 years. And I would never criticize a man's choice of dog breeds (except chiuahuas and those hairless things) but, the "gotta get one now" thing scares me. I get a lot of dogs from people who didn't fully think out acquiring a dog. If getting a dog is a good idea today, it will be a good idea next week, next month, or next year. As a rescuer, I would never place a dog with someone who had to have one right now. Most breeders will be the same way. So, if you really got to have the dog now, the best bet is a pet store (for an overpriced, junk pedigree, possibly defective puppy) or a shelter. A responsible shelter would probably not give you a dog right away either. The pet store wouldn't care.

larryo340
06-29-2007, 08:40 PM
I've been the national chair for Kuvasz Rescue for about 20 years. And I would never criticize a man's choice of dog breeds (except chiuahuas and those hairless things) but, the "gotta get one now" thing scares me. I get a lot of dogs from people who didn't fully think out acquiring a dog. If getting a dog is a good idea today, it will be a good idea next week, next month, or next year. As a rescuer, I would never place a dog with someone who had to have one right now. Most breeders will be the same way. So, if you really got to have the dog now, the best bet is a pet store (for an overpriced, junk pedigree, possibly defective puppy) or a shelter. A responsible shelter would probably not give you a dog right away either. The pet store wouldn't care.
I agree,I would add that you should be fully aware of the breed you are interested in getting to make sure it is good for you and you are good for it.
Pets are a responibility and not just a toy.