PDA

View Full Version : Virginia's outrageous traffic fines start today

MarauderTJA
07-01-2007, 06:01 AM
Wow, saw on the news this morning that Virginia inacted new speeding violation legislation that has increased speeding tickets to as high as $3000.00 and six points on your license for speeds up to 50 MPH over the speed limit. Overall all speeding tickets will be substanially increased. SO, be careful in Virgina, very careful of your speed.

Blackened300a
07-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Thanks, Just another reason why I dont plan on going to virginia

MarauderTJA
07-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Virginia is a beautiful State. Just have to be careful on the go-pedal:D.

Hotrauder
07-01-2007, 07:07 AM
We just passed through that beautiful state on the way back from Maine on a Friday. I have never seen so many LEOs and they all were working with cars pulled over. They were having a ball. A trucker at a rest stop told me that they were pulling people over for 5 over on the interstate. We were lucky, have a non detectable V1 and skated on through but an awful lot of folks did not. On I-77 there were 3 writing within a mile of each other and both north and south bound. I figured that Virginia has stopped collecting taxes and is now running the State of Virginia on speeding fines. We saw over 100 LEOs on 81 and 77. I have traveled Virginia a lot and have never seen anything like that before. I believe in keeping it safe on the highway but it that is abuse for bucks and demeans the troopers and deputies involved and creates aminmosity in the public. NOT a good plan in my opinion. Dennis....sorry:soap: btw radar detectors are illegal in Va. Fish in a barrel. you bet.

CBT
07-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Welcome to the Communistwealth of Virginia!

Virginia's new $3,550 speeding ticket

Traffic patrols have long been known as roving tax collectors. But in Virginia, they really are collecting taxes.

Starting July 1, an array of traffic offenses, from expired licenses to speeding, come with a "civil remedial fee" attached. That means a motorist convicted of reckless driving (75 mph in a 55 zone would qualify) faces not only a fine of up to $2,500 and a year in jail, but a non-negotiable $350-a-year tax for three years. The law forbids judges from waiving or reducing the fee.
Many fees dwarf the fines. A driver who disobeys an officer's order to pull into a weigh station would be fined $35 and required to pay a $61 court processing fee. But the civil remedial fee would be $900 over three years.
Drunken driving? A fee of $1,000 a year for three years, plus fines and court costs. No insurance? That's $300 a year for three years, plus fines.
It doesn't stop there. Anyone unlucky enough to have 8 points or more on his license (reckless driving is good for 6 by itself) would pay an additional $100, plus $75 for any points over 8, up to $700 a year. (For a complete list of fee-carrying offenses, see this .pdf file (http://www.courts.state.va.us/publications/hb_3202.pdf).)
Such "driver responsibility programs" have become increasingly common for two reasons: Many states find that serial offenders make up the bulk of their cases, and they simply need the money. In fact, Virginia added a fee rather than increase fines because it wanted the money to improve its roads, and revenue from fines must go to public schools. The fees are expected to raise $200 million a year.

The sponsor of the law, David Albo, is a partner in one of Virginia's largest law firms; one of its specialties is traffic cases.
One twist that has Virginia drivers enraged is that the state can't charge fees on out-of-state drivers or revoke their licenses. For now, the fees apply only to residents.

P.S., I've read all the fines, an innocence lane change while forgetting to use your turn signal? 900 bucks. Insane.:flamer::censor:

Marauder386
07-01-2007, 08:00 AM
When I was stationed in Virginia, I coined a phrase....

" We are Common...someone else gets the Wealth..."

:cool:

Advancedautosec
07-01-2007, 08:22 AM
I try my best NOT to go into VA, but if i have to drive through you can bet im going no more than 5 over. I live in MD/DC and have gotten more tickets in VA than in the state i live in, its ridiculous in VA, i think that LEOs could be better used doing more productive things than giving everyone on the highway tickets. And after reading the above I WILL not be going to VA for any reason unless I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TOO!!!

Vortex
07-01-2007, 08:30 AM
I remember being stationed there in the Navy a thousand years ago. Beautiful countryside (except near Norfolk) but man is it screwed up. Siezing radar detectors right out of your car; VEPCO cutting off your power in winter; $3000 license plates; a luxury tax that lets them walk right into your house without a warrant to tax your belongings (yeah, I know they dont do it now, but they could); now this highway tax. I shall endeavor to avoid the place the rest of my days.

MACFORD88
07-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Thats Why I Like Californa More.

BAD MERC
07-01-2007, 10:14 AM
I cannot believe how you guys are surprised! Don't any of you know that the root of all evil is the elusive speeder. Yep, bloodthirsty and calculating - If they gave me a ticket like that, I would open gunfire in the courthouse - regardless of the consequences.

Mad4Macs
07-01-2007, 10:32 AM
One part where I agree with the state, though, is hammering anyone doing FIFTY MPH over the limit.
I'd like to hear anyone here defend some nutcase driving 75MPH through a posted 25 school zone.

Pat
07-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Any problems with cruising in Hagerstown and surrounding areas?

Some local precinct's frown on cars cruising one behind the other on city streets.

We may just have to stay tied up in the parking lot and send out foraging party's for food and drink.

Or we can hire a hearse, turn on our lights and act like a funeral procession (to Wendy's?).

Let's here from the MV-V staff on the new or old rules we may not be cognizant of.

Thanks,

Pat

JonW
07-01-2007, 12:35 PM
I am SO glad I don't live in Virginia:

(July 1) - Virginia is for lovers, or so the state slogan has declared since 1969. Starting today, Virginia also will be the home of the $3,000 traffic ticket. In an effort to raise money for road projects, the state will start hitting residents who commit serious traffic offenses with huge civil penalties.
<!-- MOD: info_genericpromo - 250104 -->

Beginning Sunday, Virginia is adding new civil charges to traffic fines. They range from $750 to $3,000 and will be added to existing fines and court costs. The civil penalty for going 20 mph over the speed limit will be $1,050, plus $61 in court costs and a fine that is typically about $200.

Virginia's new traffic penalties are expected to raise $65 million a year and are part of an effort to improve the state's roads without raising taxes.

A first-time drunken driver will face a $2,250 civil penalty, plus fines and court costs that typically run about $500 or more. Driving without a license? That's a mandatory $900 civil penalty, in addition to the ordinary $100 for a fine and court costs.

"It's outrageous," says traffic court attorney Thaddeus Furlong of Springfield, Va. "When Mr. and Mrs. Middle Class find out what they have to pay, there's going to be a backlash like you've never seen."

Some other states impose extra civil penalties for traffic offenses, but the cost is usually $100 or $200, Furlong says. "What sets this apart is the Draconian size of the civil penalties," he says.

Another difference: The civil penalties apply only to Virginia residents, not out-of-state drivers. Virginians must pay in three installments over 26 months or lose their licenses. The state Legislature didn't think it could enforce the extra penalties in other states.

Motorist club AAA Mid-Atlantic supports the new penalties.

"These penalties are harsh, but normal fines haven't gotten people to drive sanely. Maybe this will," says Lon Anderson, spokesman for AAA Mid-Atlantic.

He says the new law will help reduce the nearly 1,000 traffic deaths the state records annually.

"We wish motorists didn't have to pay more, but the fact is Virginia's transportation trust fund is broke," Anderson says.

MACFORD88
07-01-2007, 01:07 PM
On Aol.com I Read The The Hike Is For Road Repaires.f That Like I Said Good Thing I Live In The Golden State California.

gja
07-01-2007, 01:14 PM
"Virginia is for lovers"
???
No, the new slogan appears to be "Virginia is for ***hats"

Mike Poore
07-01-2007, 04:08 PM
About 20 years ago some of our legislative geniuses here in PA drafted a Catastrophic Loss fund that was supposed to offset the high cost of litigation in wrongful death & injury cases. They called it the CAT fund, and it was gonna lower our insurance rates to the point that we were going to start collecting refunds from our insurers.

In a single year the trial lawyers, noticing that huge pot of gold, dangling before their eyes, attacked it with such vigor that it was broke and in the hole to the tune of several billion, and the program was quickly stopped. After that there was a surcharge added to every mooving violation, and to my knoledge it's still being collected/extracted. Just another tax......and they keep looking for new ways to extract our wealth.

Bluerauder
07-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Just another tax......and they keep looking for new ways to extract our wealth.
Ain't that the truth, Mike. Virginia gets MORE than enough in real estate taxes, personal property taxes, state and local taxes, gas taxes, etc. However, every year the folks down in Richmond can't seem to find enough money to fix and build roads in Northern Virginia. VDOT is so inefficient they only get about 50 cents on every dollar for road construction. People are screaming to fix the roads and the answer is always "we need more money". :rolleyes:

The new traffic fines are only part of the issue (although the most visible); but 25% increase in vehicle registration registration, new sales tax on auto repairs, red light cameras, and more fees and user taxes are aimed at generating more millions for VA to waste. What a joke. :mad:

Pat
07-01-2007, 04:58 PM
What are the ramifications of these new laws Vis a Vis MV V. Will we be able to "cruise" from one place to another?

It would seem that entrants shouldn't draw attention.

Bluerauder
07-01-2007, 05:07 PM
What are the ramifications of these new laws Vis a Vis MV V. Will we be able to "cruise" from one place to another?

It would seem that entrants shouldn't draw attention.
Hagerstown is in Maryland, pat. I don't see any problem what-so-ever. We'll be cruising down to Alexandria, VA for the Potomac River boat cruise. Others may head down to Skyline Drive. I'll be really interested in seeing how this new law is applied to the Capital Beltway. If the beltway is moving at all, it is moving at 15 MPH over the posted limit. ;) Personally, I don't expect much of a change at all for us REGULAR people. My rule has been "don't stick out or draw attention with either speed or frequent lane changes". There's always enough fools to run interference for you.

Bottomline -- don't sweat it Pat.

baltimoremm
07-01-2007, 05:43 PM
The speeding penalty seems a bit harsh, but I like their new penalties for drunk driving and driving without a license. Overall, I think I would support a similar measure in my area too... anything to help impact the amount of drunk drivers on the road.

JonW
07-01-2007, 06:05 PM
The added fines only apply to VA residents, not out-of-staters.

endless
07-02-2007, 06:52 PM
The speeding penalty seems a bit harsh, but I like their new penalties for drunk driving and driving without a license. Overall, I think I would support a similar measure in my area too... anything to help impact the amount of drunk drivers on the road.

exactly.

hell, bump the drunk driver fine up a bit more.

fastblackmerc
07-02-2007, 07:04 PM
The added fines only apply to VA residents, not out-of-staters.

True, because the State of Va. doesn't think the fines will hold up in other states.

vegasloner
07-02-2007, 07:19 PM
I was stationed in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on">Virginia</st1:State> in 1990, bought a new mustang 5.0 had a couple things done to it nice, rolling out of <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Virginia</st1:place></st1:State>, busted 5 am in the morning doing 120. :bigcry: Thought I was going to jail...actually I was until I explained that I was reporting to MCAS ElToro, Ca. for deployment to the sand box..had to show him the orders..Gave me a break...$350 fine, and suspended my driving privilege for three years in the state, funny, I had an <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Indiana</st1:State></st1:place> license and they could not suspend that, just the ability of me to drive in the state for three years. put me in there computer database under my SSN.:confused::confused:

needles to say, never been back..