PDA

View Full Version : MM good and bad?

joedee
07-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Hi,
I am new to this group. I have however been reading all about the Marauders because I have been thinking about getting one. I have seen that there appears to some problems with the rear axles and possibly the trans. What should I consider when when looking at buying a 03 or 04. Any year better than the other? What are the stong points versus the weak points with these cars. I am also considering a Grand Marquis. I know they are the same but different but how do they compare as far as good and bad points?
I thought the best people to ask are those who already own these cars.

:confused:
Thank you,
Joe

Waterloo, Wi

rayjay
07-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Welcome aboard. The axle problem was primarily with the 03s. The few problems that the 03s had were corrected in the 04. The GM and the MM can not be compared side by side. They share the Panther platform and thats were it ends. The MM is much more than a GM on steriods. There is a wealth of information on this site. Take your time and read all that you deem appropriate before you make your decision. Keep in mind that GMs are a dime a dozen. The Marauder is relatively rare and becoming more so everytime one leaves service.

FastMerc
07-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Welcome aboard. The axle problem was primarily with the 03s. The few problems that the 03s had were corrected in the 04. The GM and the MM can not be compared side by side. They share the Panther platform and thats were it ends. The MM is much more than a GM on steriods. There is a wealth of information on this site. Take your time and read all that you deem appropriate before you make your decision. Keep in mind that GMs are a dime a dozen. The Marauder is relatively rare and becoming more so everytime one leaves service. You are correct my parents bought an 07 GM and with my car next to it, the cars dont even match.Sorry cuz the Marauder has its owne presonality and paople on the street know it.Mech problems were corrected on the 04s.The question you have to ask is what do you really want,stand out or blend in :D

Raudermaster
07-10-2007, 06:53 PM
If you can find a decent low mileage '03, you most likely won't have that bad of problems with it. I know some here will say that I'm wrong, but I bought my '03 with 13k on it, and I've driven my car like it should be, hard, and I've had 0 problems on it and no signs of problems that would occur and I have 24k on it now.

joedee
07-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the input. I was wondering if most if the issues were corrected with the 04's. I know the MM stands out but I wonder if it will get lost in all the other car like the Grand National. Most people don't even know what they were. I had two (great cars) but when it came down to it most people just see a Buick Regal. Are the MM's that must better than the GM's? I know most of you will say yes but when it really comes down to it how is the ride? Handling? Gas mileage as compared the the GM's. Is it worth the extra dollars? This is what I am considering as I compare the two.
Joe

gmtech
07-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the input. I was wondering if most if the issues were corrected with the 04's. I know the MM stands out but I wonder if it will get lost in all the other car like the Grand National. Most people don't even know what they were. I had two (great cars) but when it came down to it most people just see a Buick Regal. Are the MM's that must better than the GM's? I know most of you will say yes but when it really comes down to it how is the ride? Handling? Gas mileage as compared the the GM's. Is it worth the extra dollars? This is what I am considering as I compare the two.
Joe
i traded my low mileage 01 GM for my 03 MM...no comparison,handling 10 times better,ride is harsher than the GM but you feel connected to the road,by no means is it rough..gas mileage depends on your foot but it is decent...ive had my car for almost a year now and the grin is still there when i drive it..not so w/ the GM..oh yeah i have the axle problem and i had to replace belt and tensioner but thats it and i beat it everyday;)

knine
07-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Find a MM local and take it for a drive. Then drive a GM. You won't be lost for a decision after that. :burnout:

Aren Jay
07-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Cons:

Blinky Switches.
AC feedback on Stereo from Alternator. (I hope)
Seatbelt sockets stick you in the hip. ( I am going to move it, currently use a foam pad)
Can't see the trunk end without a camera or spoiler. (getting camera)
Parking. (narrow spots)
No room for flipup head unit screens. ( can use double din with work or external monitors)
You get soaked when it is raining and you need to open your window. Always nice to have a towel when it is raining.
Tires are hard to get. (one maker no one stocks them, order online)
Your stuff gets wet when you open the trunk while it is wet. (use towel to wipe trunk when it gets wet, the back edge)
Wheelchairs do not fit easily in the trunk. (not without moving the spare)
You have heated seats If you get the charcoal seats all summer long. But it isn't very bad.
Trunk and bumpers feel weak.
Solid rear axle does not absorb bumps well.
No AWD (Ex Subaru Owner)
Getting a ticket because you have your fog lights on.

Pros:

Not boring
Not slow
No sewing machine
Comfortable except seatbelt.
Easy to fix and most parts are cheap.
Dark horse.
I've even had cops wave thinking I was a ghost car.
The look on the other drivers faces when you leave them for dead at the green light.
Subaru had no better MPG.
Relaxing with head shoulder elbow and leg room.
being able to take 4 friends out and have everyone of them smiling when you arrive at the place.
Lots of other things.

Raudermaster
07-10-2007, 07:21 PM
As gmtech stated, yes you suffer a ride loss in the MM compared to a GM/CV, but you feel like you can take turns a lot more confident in the MM as opposed to a CV/GM. And obviously, the power increase.

BAD MERC
07-10-2007, 08:40 PM
I have no complaints about my 2004. I would buy this car again and again. Two years of ownership and my major complaint - I cannot afford a supercharger yet.

Ryans PI
07-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Get one. You wont regret it.

I'm still waiting for mine.

OneBADLsE
07-11-2007, 12:12 AM
As gmtech stated, yes you suffer a ride loss in the MM compared to a GM/CV, but you feel like you can take turns a lot more confident in the MM as opposed to a CV/GM. And obviously, the power increase.

The power increase over a GM/CV is minimal, if at all noticeable. Handling on a CV/GM HPP (Handling and performance package *A la: LSE, or CROWN VIC SPORT*) is so similar, its would take a real perfectionist to nit pick at its handling characteristics.

Try to get your hands on a 04'. One i drove recently seemed stock. However, the shifts were SO MUCH more firm! Took off like a bat outta hell! All of the MM's i drove prior were 03's. The 03's all felt like pigs, with sloppy shifting like my GM.

I, personally, want one for the "thats so ****g cool" factor! The rarity of the automobile in of itself, and most of all, its ALL I EVER WANTED in the form of a panther...Hot looks, N upper end torque, and handling to keep up with the best of'em!

I'll get one, when my time is right. :beer: For now, my GM will do just fine (as LarryO says;))

Mark's03Merc
07-11-2007, 02:31 AM
As a newbie myself, after only having my MM for about six weeks now and reading everything this site has to offer without posting 'till now, I have to say I am really enjoying my car. But I must say this, the most awesome thing was when I went to pick up my kids from daycare the day I got the car, my 5 year old daughter said "Daddy that's the coolest car ever!" You could've seen me grinning from outer space. Now she calls it our "Rock Star car." Pretty cool.

cyclopsram
07-11-2007, 03:37 AM
Probably the reason the trunk feels "weak" from above post is that it is made of long lasting durable never rusting Aluminum and you don't have to slam it to close it..just wipe the bottom with the nice towel before raising it..

gmtech
07-11-2007, 04:29 AM
I have no complaints about my 2004. I would buy this car again and again. Two years of ownership and my major complaint - I cannot afford a supercharger yet.
+1..my biggest complaint as well...and if you get 03 dont worry about sloppy shifts you can just get a tune to take care of it...thats what i did and i couldnt be happier w/ the car

magindat
07-11-2007, 05:03 AM
Diabolical, you were worrying me for a moment.. 'till I read the rest.

Welcome. Now for the harshness...

You are an absolute fool if you are pondering or buy this car because of other people's impressions.

This is a special car for special owners and you simply have to love the car for all it's got and all it doesn't. It's just like any classic performance vehicle. It has quirks, but they are well worth it.

If you come up on some of the production issues, most aren't expensive to correct at all. Basic 'perk-up' mods are relatively inexpensive as well.

This is the ONLY car on the face of the earth that offers this much free support and knowledge to an owner.

NOW make your decision.

jgc61sr2002
07-11-2007, 05:07 AM
joedee - Welcome aboard.:D

The axel problem was on Marauder's built before 1/1/2003.

jgc61sr2002
07-11-2007, 05:08 AM
Marc - Welcome aboard enjoy your new ride.:D:welcome1:

Bluerauder
07-11-2007, 05:13 AM
This is a special car for special owners and you simply have to love the car for all it's got and all it doesn't. It's just like any classic performance vehicle. It has quirks, but they are well worth it.
+1. I have had my '03 MM for almost 4 years and love it. I get the "grin" :Devery time I get in it. It just feels right. Never got that feeling driving a CV or a GM. I like to feel the road and get feedback from the suspension.

If you find a nice '03 or '04 MM ... just do it you won't be disappointed.

BTW -- I have not experienced much of the stuff on Diabolical's list. Those that I have ain't even worth mentioning.

joedee
07-11-2007, 05:36 AM
Thank you for all the feed back. It sounds like this may be the way to go. I will try to find one (04) that is local so I can drive it and go from there. I live in Wisconsin and we get lots of snow here. I see that the 04's and maybe a few 03's have traction control. I think that may help in the snow. I had a 97 GM a few years ago and it was very bad in the snow. No traction at all. I do like the looks of the MM. When looking for one is there any special things to look for? I plan on doing a car fax and the normal checking but just wondering if the MM's have any of those few special things that should be checked out before buying. I will let you all know when I find one.
Thank you,
Joe

magindat
07-11-2007, 05:38 AM
Thank you for all the feed back. It sounds like this may be the way to go. I will try to find one (04) that is local so I can drive it and go from there. I live in Wisconsin and we get lots of snow here. I see that the 04's and maybe a few 03's have traction control. I think that may help in the snow. I had a 97 GM a few years ago and it was very bad in the snow. No traction at all. I do like the looks of the MM. When looking for one is there any special things to look for? I plan on doing a car fax and the normal checking but just wondering if the MM's have any of those few special things that should be checked out before buying. I will let you all know when I find one.
Thank you,
Joe

post up the VIN. A few members here have access to OASIS.

fairlane347
07-11-2007, 05:53 AM
Thank you,
Joe

Hey Joe, I live in Waukesha if you want a ride I will do that for you. Also if you get one I am tryinto keep track of the MM's in our area you need to be the next, LOL:D Buy one you will love it. I have a coulpe mods and still get 20mpg. Get ahold of me if you like.

ckadiddle
07-11-2007, 06:19 AM
i traded my low mileage 01 GM for my 03 MM...no comparison,handling 10 times better,ride is harsher than the GM but you feel connected to the road,by no means is it rough..gas mileage depends on your foot but it is decent...ive had my car for almost a year now and the grin is still there when i drive it..not so w/ the GM..oh yeah i have the axle problem and i had to replace belt and tensioner but thats it and i beat it everyday;)
Same here. 2001 CVLX to 03 MM. Traded some soft and mushy for a little stiffer ride and a LOT faster, better handling. Even the stock MM without a tune was awesome acceleration-wise compared to the CVLX. Absolutely had to buy it after test driving.

It's killing me that my MM has been in shop for severl weeks since I wrecked it. I dread the drive to work every morning now, instead of looking forward to it.

Cobra25
07-11-2007, 06:27 AM
I've had mine for Quite some time now. No Major problems. A great group of people and a great car to own. As far as the Year of the car no major difference's between the 2003 & the 2004 .

MarauderTJA
07-11-2007, 06:44 AM
Bottom line. The best car I have ever owned, had fun modding as well as meeting/making a bunch of new friends here on MM.NET. We are a unique group:D.

jdando
07-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Hey Joedee;

My MM is a dailydriver in Minnesota. If you plan to be a daily driver get good snow tires.

About the car, I love mine. No problems todate. I would say maintanance and parts are more expensive, but that is my viewpoint.

Things to look for when purchasing; blue smoke on start-up, flaky window switches, and modifications by the previous owner.

jeremy

SC Cheesehead
07-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Find a MM local and take it for a drive. Then drive a GM. You won't be lost for a decision after that. :burnout:

^^^^^^^^^^ +2^^^^^^^^^^

I got my original MM back in '04, had it about 2 months and had to take it to the shop for some warranty work. The dealer gave me a new GM for a loaner. Up until that point, I'd wondered about the difference between the two. Found out real quick.

BIG difference between the two cars. Ride, handling, power, and of course, the WOW factor.

SCCH

magindat
07-11-2007, 08:36 AM
I hate 'selling' the MM to new guys. You love it or you hate it. I'm not going to try to convince anyone otherwise.

gohogs
07-11-2007, 08:54 AM
And here I am thinking about getting a second MM.

magindat
07-11-2007, 09:02 AM
And here I am thinking about getting a second MM.

I'd have a fleet of MM's, if I could afford it!

Local Boy
07-11-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm with Magindat...I won't try to convince (sell) someone how our car is "better". If your'e not sure...than don't get it...Most, if not all of us, got this car because we just felt an overwhelming attraction to this beautiful beast, despite its flaws. No car is perfect...but this one is the pretty darn close (IMO)...nothing a tune and gears couldn't fix...

BTW: To compare a GM to a MM is rather insulting...None the less...WELCOME TO THE SITE! GOOD LUCK ON WHATEVER YOU BUY.

ALOHA

Seneca
07-11-2007, 02:25 PM
My experience on owning a 03. and a 04.

I dont remember the build date of the top of my head but it was a 300A 03. baught new from the dealer 70 miles on the clock. I owned that car for about 14 months i put 49k miles on it. it was at the dealer a week after i brought it home for stalling. weekafter that for trans slipping. My 03 spent more time at the dealers then it did at home. finally after 49k miles I had enough. I was going to trade it on a lightning. Seen a new 04 in the show room. Fell in love all over again and gave it a 2nd chance. I bought the 04 the same day. On the way home the OverDrive light flashed. The dealer fixed that problem. And its never been back to the dealers since. with 40k miles on the clock i've put a SC on it and it's like the 1st day i drove the car out of the show room. :D.. Best of luck on your choice.. Seneca

jimlam56
07-11-2007, 02:33 PM
I've had both the 03 and 04 versions.
Each have their individual quirks, but I love them both for different reasons.
And I agree with Magindat's comments.

Aren Jay
07-11-2007, 03:48 PM
As a former Subaru owner I can attest to this site offering the best advice to other owners. Some Subaru sites like the much bigger NASIOC may have more members but alot of yahoo's too.

Also as a Former Subaru owner I can atest that AWD is a dream come true the very first time I drove it in the snow. But, AWD does not help you turn or stop in the snow. Snowtires do that. Studded snow tires are even better. Traction control makes a difference especially with morepower, but driving with common sense is best of all.

Make sure you have enough room in your garage. My Maruader clears my Garage door with about 2 inches of clearance. A Towncar would not fit.

I looked at Jaguars and given the good websites and support groups they have, the problems scared me away and the expense at fixing these problems. Plus lack of repair places. etc... The Marauder even with my problems, shines in comparison.

In answer to your other comments. The Marauder is like having a four door Mustang GT/Cobra. The Grand Marquis is like having a four door 4 cylinder Mustang. If you have ever driven these Mustangs you will know that there is a difference and the big engine makes all that difference. Plus the Maruader has the upgraded suspension and handles much better than the Grand Marquis or Towncar.