PDA

View Full Version : Garmin-GPS--Help!

Marauderman
07-11-2007, 03:54 PM
I have a new Garmin GPS--330 Pilot--bought over the Fathers Day Weekend--Used 3 times--Works Great Right Out Of The Box--as Advertised--Ok --no problem--

On the fourth time today--It starts out-"Low Battery" --you must click "ok" to continue--But it then goes DEAD!!

How do you charge it--The Garming folks suck! Web site is as bad as calling their 800 #--Average wait is 30 -45- min.--WOW--Am still waiting as I type this--20 min now--anyway-paper and manuel --no help on this subject..!!
go figure--

Anyone have one and can Help--Just want to re-charge the darn battery and also want to know why doesn't it work like this when pluged into the
power supply in the car??

Thanks for my rant--?

fastblackmerc
07-11-2007, 04:33 PM
According to www.garmin.com. The 330 contains this stuff in the box:

What's in the Box:

* StreetPilot c330
* Preloaded City Navigator® NT for North America or Europe (full coverage)
* Vehicle suction cup mount with integrated power cable*
* USB cable
* USB drivers disk
* Dashboard disk
* Quick reference guide

You should be able to charge it by either plugging the cable into the unit and cigarette lighter in the "Redline" or by plugging the USB cable into your PC and then into the GPS.

MENINBLK
07-11-2007, 04:42 PM
First of all..... The people at Garmin DO NOT SUCK.
It's not their fault you didn't RTFM (Read The Friggin Manual).

Wes and I have the c320 StreetPilot.
It is an excellent unit.
You can charge your Garmin one of THREE Ways...

First there is the Auto mount.

Second, you can charge it over the USB cable
while it is connected to your computer for updates.

Third, you can charge it with just about
any 5 volt Mini USB charger on the market.

NOW... If you had RTFM, you would have KNOWN this !!!

FYI - When yuou plug it into a power source you need to let it sit for about 10 - 15 seconds.
It will make a sound, the screen will light up with the StreetPilot logo,
and then the screen will go dim.
If you look at the dim screen or touch the screen with your finger,
it will get slightly brighter and tell you it is charging.
If it doesn't do this, then you have a problem and you need to go online
and put in a claim since you don't like waiting on the phone.

Let it charge OVERNIGHT.
A fully exhausted battery takes about 4 - 6 hours to charge.
A fully charged battery should run your Garmin at least 8 hours.

Oh... One more thing.
If you go to the Garmin Website and register your new unit,
you are entitled to a FREE Updated Map which is worth over $100
if you had to buy it.

ASK ME HOW I KNOW ???

chapel1
07-11-2007, 04:50 PM
What he said . I leave mine pluged into my arm rest power point . Turned off naturally. I have mine mounted on a slight angle bye my cup holder with velcro so I can store it in the arm rest. Good Luck

MarauderTJA
07-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Tom I have the same unit in my SVT Focus. I leave it plugged in all the time. Hold the button for a few seconds to turn on and off. It will beep. Once the battery is fully charged it will last for around 4-5 hours.

Raudermaster
07-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Yep, you have to have it plugged into the computer, or cig. lighter port to have a charge. Very similar to my Magellan 3100.

Marauderman
07-11-2007, 05:37 PM
OK folks --and especially those DS ones --who think this is my first ride--the info you reference was never in the box I received--ok--that being said--I tried for several days to contact them about several concerns--this while it was still new--.and to those who don't think I was born but yesterday--I did register the unit when I got home--anyway--

What happen was --It was suposeely determined from the Garmin folks that my windshield unit--the one that connects from the power to the unit--was B A D!!==SO they are sending me a new one--F R E E!--Cause I registered it--REMEMBER!!

But it took a call which I had to wait for 35 minutes and then spend another 47 minutes to resolve--

and OBTW-- Did you know the plug-in had a "fuse"----he told me to unscrew and check it--I did--but he forgot to tell me to watch out for the spring that will shoot it out--all this while in the drivers seat--which he instructed me to go to to do ---and of course --little things fall between the seats----and he says he can only wait 2 minutes for me to find them(it) as he has calls waiting--I tell the guy ----wait a minute--I waited for 38 minutes--you can wait for me--got it!! let me find these little items fallen between the seats--
( on speaker cell phone) --

Anyway--I am to receive a new connector from the power source to the Garmin--it was considered B A D from MFG..--takes 3- 6 weeks--WOW--Good thing I am not going on a trip--

SO it does SUCK--Whoever you are-- Their say is NOT always what THEY!!
SAY!

.....and the next time you call me that --I will get banned for what I will call you!!!!!!!!

MENINBLK
07-11-2007, 05:55 PM
OK folks --and especially those DS ones --who think this is my first ride--the info you reference was never in the box I received--ok--that being said--I tried for several days to contact them about several concerns--this while it was still new--.and to those who don't think I was born but yesterday--I did register the unit when I got home--anyway--

The MANUAL is on the CD. It is a PDF file that you read on your computer.

Sorry to hear that you got a bad automount.
You are the first one that I've heard that has had a problem.

Next time I am in Pembroke, I'll treat you to a beer of your choice and size.
Just make sure you are around...

I can even send you a mini USB charger you can use with your Garmin.
Just send me a PM with your info and I'll send it to you.

Marauderman
07-11-2007, 07:02 PM
The MANUAL is on the CD. It is a PDF file that you read on your computer.

Sorry to hear that you got a bad automount.
You are the first one that I've heard that has had a problem.

Next time I am in Pembroke, I'll treat you to a beer of your choice and size.
Just make sure you are around...

I can even send you a mini USB charger you can use with your Garmin.
Just send me a PM with your info and I'll send it to you.

Not all boxes are equal --see--glad you see my situation--must have been a bad day on the assembly line..anyway--
Where is "Prembroke"--sure not near me--I think--?? please tell!!

I'll let you know if I should need those helful gadgets you want to send--thanks for the offer....I'm on Mary's list--for addy's--you have one--?

vkirkend
07-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Ditto the USB chargers and computer hook up. That's the way I recharge.