PDA

View Full Version : That darn Crown Vic effect !

PhastPhil
07-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Yes, there is a down side to looking like a police car.
Today while driving along a stretch of road, I saw a really nice 55 Chevy enter the road. Once he got the car straight, he got on it. It sounded really sweet and the car got up and went ! Then he must have seen me in the mirror because he shut it down and cruised along slowly. I rolled up alongside him, and was going to give him the thumbs up for having a cool car. But he wouldn't even look over at me. He just stared forward. I thought for sure he would notice my wheels and rainguards and realize I wasn't a cop. Nope. He was an older guy, and I know from talking with older hotrodders they try very hard not to get a ticket. I guess they are embarrased by it. So he wasn't taking any chances.
This took place on Long Island's infamous Rt.231. A stretch of road well known for street races. There used to be a 1/4 mile marked off on the concrete pavement painted with official highway dept. paint. The same paint they use to make the white lines on the roads. There was a starting line, and a finish line.

larryo340
07-12-2007, 02:39 PM
was it red? I saw a nice red '55 on the Southern State the other day.

Blackened300a
07-12-2007, 03:00 PM
This took place on Long Island's infamous Rt.231. A stretch of road well known for street races. There used to be a 1/4 mile marked off on the concrete pavement painted with official highway dept. paint. The same paint they use to make the white lines on the roads. There was a starting line, and a finish line.

It was nothing but Mustang's up there back a few years ago.

PhastPhil
07-12-2007, 05:24 PM
This car was two tone red and white.

Thee are a lot of Mustangs hanging out on Deer Park Ave. And a lot of ricers too. It's not the same anymore. I really died out in the mid 1990s. Before that, there cars up there every night, but it started to get busy on Thursdays and was packed all weekend long.
What it killed it for us was when Car Craft magazine listed it as one of the top ten cruising spots in the country.