PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade brakes for Continental

Brother Mike
07-08-2003, 09:21 PM
Want to pick the collective brains of this board: Have a 97" Continental and it is about time for new brakes. May have to do the rotors this time as well. Any suggestions on how I might upgrade the performance and/or longevity? I.E. who makes good after market pads and rotors? Not Baer Brakes but better than Motorcraft. Thanks!

LincMercLover
07-08-2003, 10:23 PM
I put Bendix on the front of my 1979 Lincoln. They're a pretty sticky brake that don't seem to heat up real easy. I'd imagine if I had some rotors that were worth a damn, they'd be even better, but they do a great job of pulling that 5500lb+ boat to a hault!

PS: I personally like the way my Lincoln stops as compared to that of the Marauder. I don't like that empty feel at the top of the pedal... Could be the whole ABS thing, could be the whole 4-wheel disc thing. Who knows...

FordNut
07-08-2003, 10:38 PM
LML, that could be a car-to-car difference. My 300A has really firm pedal feel, the wife's 300B feels mushy at the top.

WolfeBros
07-09-2003, 08:41 AM
Brother Mike I have always had good results on my cars with the Raybestos pads and Brembo rotors. I don't know if Brembo makes a rotor for your car but I know Raybestos makes pads for it. This is a question where you will get lots of solutions. There is more than one right answer for you to pick from. Anyone ??

vegasmarauder
07-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Try a set of Bendix Titanium pads. I put them on 3 CVPI's, 2 Monte Carlo SS's, a 79 TownCar, Mom's 82 Town Car, and my 72 F-250 parts hauler. They are made for inner city stop and go driving. They have a good initial grab and excellent heat tolerance, better than regular metallic pads. They are softer so they won't eat up rotors like some "performance" pads do (saves on fleet maintenance costs for rotors). when I had them on one CV and not the other, you can feel the difference when you stand on the binders. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim

jgc61sr2002
07-10-2003, 06:40 AM
I always use factory pads on a new car. After several years I switch to the Bendix Titanium pads.

looking97233
07-11-2003, 07:04 PM
I don't know if the brake parts are interchangeable but, the Contentional and the Taurus share wheel bolt patterns and some suspension components. Like I said, I don't know if the brakes are interchangeable but, ift's something to look into. You might try www.shoshop.com
You could ask them. If they will fit, shoshop has big brakes for you.