PDA

View Full Version : Nashville police reject flamable cruisers.

Mad1
07-09-2003, 12:11 PM
Folks,

Thought most of you would enjoy reading a story that appeared in the paper where I work.
Seems Nashville's Metro police have returned 50 new Dodge Intrepid cruisers because the brakes have the unfortunate ability to burst into flames on heavy use ... like chasing a bad guy.

Any of you boys in blue heard of a similar problem anywhere else?

Mad1

Here's the link (http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=9&screen=news&news_id=24497) to the story.

Dr Caleb
07-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Whew! That's some hot stuff. :lol:

There was a thread here and on crownvic.net about Dallas Police not being happy with Crown Victorias because they couldn't take a rear end impact from a speeding freight train without catching fire, or something.

Nothing about brakes though!

Mad1
07-09-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Dr Caleb
Whew! That's some hot stuff.

Yeah. I especially loved the Chrysler spokespiece saying the FOP use to harsh a test and didn't "break-in" the FOUR test vehicle's brakes. To which, Nashville's lawyer response was essentially "... we paid for pursuit cars that work as pursuit cars when we take delivery of them."

I'm shocked that cops wouldn't be eager to ride in a car where they had to wonder whether or not they'd "gentled" the brakes enough to avoid a fire.:flamer:

Mad1

Constable
07-09-2003, 01:43 PM
DaimlerChrysler representatives could not be reached Tuesday but have been quoted as saying there have not been other problems with the vehicles and that Nashville “used extreme procedures” to test the cars.

Ok, I put my CVPI through "extreme procedures" for about 8 hours a day. I'm really suprised I haven't disintegrated my rotors in the past 33,000 miles I've had the car.

If 10 minutes of 'simulated pursuit' caused the brakes on 4 cars to spout out open flames, then that's pretty freakin unsafe... anyone disagree??

Dr Caleb
07-09-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Constable
[B]

If 10 minutes of 'simulated pursuit' caused the brakes on 4 cars to spout out open flames, then ..../B]
... Break out the sticks and hot dogs! Like the old saw about lemons...if all life gives you is Crap, make CrapAid(TM). :lol:

When I heard the announcement that Dodge was getting back into the PI market, I wondered - with what?

Constable
07-09-2003, 01:53 PM
CRAPAID!!! HAHAHA

prchrman
07-09-2003, 02:36 PM
hookie stuff...fer sure...

RF Overlord
07-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Dr Caleb
[BWhen I heard the announcement that Dodge was getting back into the PI market, I wondered - with what? [/B]

Apparently with ordinary civilian cars, with no modifications to make them suitable for police work... :shake:

I wonder what one of those Dodge Decrepid uni-body cars would look like after a 70 MPH impact from the rear...can you say: "A-c-c-o-r-d-i-o-n"?

RCSignals
07-09-2003, 11:11 PM
there was a story on the Doge flaming brakes, I think posted here as well as on BON. Nashville isn't the only place that has experienced the problem, but they may be the only that have actually returned the cars.

those Intrepids actually experienced brake fire during the 2003 MSP tests.

Also, DCX ended the production of the Intrepids June 2003

jgc61sr2002
07-10-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
Apparently with ordinary civilian cars, with no modifications to make them suitable for police work... :shake:

I wonder what one of those Dodge Decrepid uni-body cars would look like after a 70 MPH impact from the rear...can you say: "A-c-c-o-r-d-i-o-n"? RF There probably wouldn't be enough left to I D the car.

troopcar
07-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Wow. Last time I saw open flames coming from brakes was a few weeks back while watching a Nascar race on Fox! Don't quite remember whose car it was. (But the close-up looked real colorful in high-definition wide-screen.):fire: