PDA

View Full Version : Brand new 96 impala

offroadkarter
07-18-2007, 08:24 PM
With 18 miles, and even all the plastic is left :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Impala-BRAND-NEW-1996-IMPALA-SS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ 6169QQihZ008QQitemZ18013800423 2QQrdZ1

RCSignals
07-18-2007, 08:34 PM
It'd make a nice Chicago Taxi

Vortex
07-18-2007, 08:36 PM
That is pretty cool. "If" I was a rich bastard I'd rather have this than an every day Vette or whatever.

ts-pa
07-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Doesn't rubber parts such as seals get "dry rot" type of condition if not used for a very long time? If so, I'd dread the idea of driving around in that condition.

ts-pa
07-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Why would anyone buy such a car and not drive it?

Theoretically.... It's like I'm laying on my death bed, looking out the window at my pristine car, regretting not enjoying it more. Just to have the family say, "yea, we'll take good care of it". Knowing full well that means "I'm selling it" or "I'll drive it to death, with no appreciation of what I'm driving". Most family will not appreciate the item as much as you did. Forget that! I'm going to leave behind a well maintained and enjoyed car for them to sell or abuse. At least I will have no regrets in the end!

RCSignals
07-18-2007, 11:20 PM
maybe royLpita will check the VIN
1g1bl52p2tr178900 (http://www.autocheck.com/?siteID=204&vin=1g1bl52p2tr178900)

Aren Jay
07-18-2007, 11:57 PM
maybe royLpita will check the VIN
1g1bl52p2tr178900 (http://www.autocheck.com/?siteID=204&vin=1g1bl52p2tr178900)

Is it a Ford?

RCSignals
07-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Is it a Ford?

No not at all, but he can check any of the 'big three' I think

offroadkarter
07-19-2007, 01:45 AM
Should i PM him the vin or do you think he will see this?

RoyLPita
07-19-2007, 04:04 AM
Like Ford, GM's database only keeps the info for 10 years. Sorry.

Cobra25
07-19-2007, 05:20 AM
Now thats a nice Car. It's not often do you find something like that.

SID210SA
07-19-2007, 05:55 AM
I wonder:......
If they changed the oil, how long the gas has been in it, and the tires....are they dry rotted as well as anthing else thats rubber as mentioned above?

Mike Poore
07-19-2007, 06:29 AM
Interesting that the reserve is substantially higher than the window sticker.

Does that say something about future MM values?

Also, the light interior in a black car is not a combination I'd want.

Let me add some thoughts about future "collector" cars as investments.

The sticker on it is $26K, and I'd guess his delivered price was somewhere near $21K. Let's say his reserve is somewhere near $35K, and to be generous, he doubles his money and gets $42K for it. (highly doubtful)

At today's investment rates, I believe invested money doubles in ~7 years. So if the 21K had been invested in 1996, that's 11 years, the value would be, what, something over $55,000?

Never mind the cost of storage and maintaining the vehicle (ask me how I know), but you can quickly see the folly in "putting up" a new car for future investment. Buying that car, now, for window sticker, and storing it for an additional 11 years, might still be a risky investment.:dunno:

pantheroc
07-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Would Barret-Jackson be a better place to sell it, or is it out of B-J leauge?

Blackened300a
07-19-2007, 12:27 PM
My uncle is personal friends with Buzz Chew, The owner of these chains of GM dealerships out in the hamptons.
Ill have to ask him about this one.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-19-2007, 12:42 PM
That is a really beautiful car, it really is the MM of the Chevy line. I wouldn't drive a regular Caprice if you paid me but that car makes it cool.

TKde0
07-19-2007, 04:42 PM
He should have bought a poster instead if he never intended on driving it. What a waste.

RCSignals
07-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Like Ford, GM's database only keeps the info for 10 years. Sorry.

Oh well missed by a year. that's too bad it would either have been very bland or very interesting.

Leadfoot281
07-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Let me add some thoughts about future "collector" cars as investments.

The sticker on it is $26K, and I'd guess his delivered price was somewhere near $21K. Let's say his reserve is somewhere near $35K, and to be generous, he doubles his money and gets $42K for it. (highly doubtful)

At today's investment rates, I believe invested money doubles in ~7 years. So if the 21K had been invested in 1996, that's 11 years, the value would be, what, something over $55,000?

Never mind the cost of storage and maintaining the vehicle (ask me how I know), but you can quickly see the folly in "putting up" a new car for future investment. Buying that car, now, for window sticker, and storing it for an additional 11 years, might still be a risky investment.:dunno:

Absolutely correct. He's probably selling it because his buddy is pulling down 25% on safe, non aggressive mutual funds without doing a thing. I'd explain the "rule of 72" here but everyone was taught that in school already.

OneBADLsE
07-19-2007, 11:43 PM
the car will never be street worthy. Engine and tranny are nightmares waiting to happen. You will see among the 1st thousand miles, engine and tranny might go. Almost can guarentee the tranny goin. Brakes will seize, hoses will need replacing, etc...

Thats just a collectors piece. To be admired from a distance or a show room. Very cool find though :cool:

Motorhead350
07-20-2007, 12:53 AM
the car will never be street worthy. Engine and tranny are nightmares waiting to happen. You will see among the 1st thousand miles, engine and tranny might go. Almost can guarentee the tranny goin. Brakes will seize, hoses will need replacing, etc...

Ya what a waste. I hate when people don't drive their cars.

cyclopsram
07-20-2007, 03:39 AM
The car is probably "laundry" moolah...dogs can't smell it...

larryo340
07-20-2007, 06:05 AM
Anybody else notice that the car is in Southhamptom, Long Island?? Most people out there do not know what money is. Also the car is still at the new car dealer.

Wait ............I know get Billy Joel or Jerry Seinfeld to buy it, they live out there.

RCSignals
07-20-2007, 11:50 AM
someone should buy that and install a nice Ford supercharged 5.4l engine, from a Lightning, GT, or GT500KR. A Ford 9" rear would be nice too.
Make a real car of it.

Motorhead350
07-20-2007, 11:59 AM
someone should buy that and install a nice Ford supercharged 5.4l engine, from a Lightning, GT, or GT500KR. A Ford 9" rear would be nice too.
Make a real car of it.

Heck why not? There are plenty of Chevy engines in Fords.

RCSignals
07-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Chevy guys get real upset when a Ford engine is put in a Chev. It's quite funny to watch.

07-20-2007, 01:18 PM
I bet the engine and trans are totally fine. If it has been stored properly, which it looks like it has. I have driven cars that were not run once for 15-20 years and then put a lot of hard miles on them without any problems.

Mike Poore
07-20-2007, 01:59 PM
In 1965 the Bitner boys from Waynesboro, dropped a very well massaged solid lifter 327 mouse motor into a new Mustang Coupe. That MF ran like stink! :burnout:

OneBADLsE
07-20-2007, 09:48 PM
I bet the engine and trans are totally fine. If it has been stored properly, which it looks like it has. I have driven cars that were not run once for 15-20 years and then put a lot of hard miles on them without any problems.

This is an LTI were talkin about here...Not an old Dodge with a bullet proof engine and tranny lol

larryo340
07-21-2007, 04:51 AM
^^^^^^ +1
I bet the valve springs are junk, and quite possibly the cylinder walls are scored from light surface rust.

knine
07-21-2007, 05:05 AM
I saw 3 of those in one hour yeshterday.

Raudermaster
07-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Most likely junk if you drive it for more than 3 hours. That was like that '87 GNX on eBay a few months back. Didn't it have like.....87 miles on it or something like that? And it was touching $90k and the reserve was still NOT met? There is a dealer around me that specializes in rare Fords (he's never had a MM though :D) and he had a DHG Bullitt in his showroom floor with 181 miles on it. Wasn't for sale though, unfortunately. That thing will be worth a lot 5 years from now.

BAD MERC
07-21-2007, 12:54 PM
No matter how hard they try - GM cannot manage to build a car that is not rattly and rickety with cheap construction.

Motorhead350
07-21-2007, 03:39 PM
No matter how hard they try - GM cannot manage to build a car that is not rattly and rickety with cheap construction.

.....not anymore.

jgc61sr2002
07-21-2007, 04:39 PM

And Ford can?

hot-rauder
07-21-2007, 04:41 PM
And Ford can?

do you drive a marauder?

BAD MERC
07-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Oh, glad to hear that. I just put a navigation system in a flagship '07 Z06. PIECE OF ****ING ****!!!!!!!!!
.....not anymore.

Mike Poore
07-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Oh, glad to hear that. I just put a navigation system in a flagship '07 Z06. PIECE OF ****ING ****!!!!!!!!!

I was with Dom and the gang at the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, and all of us were impressed with the quality of the build, and the folks who work there. It seems that plant's producing the best GM has to offer, and If what you say, from first hand knoledge, is true, they're in deep doo-doo. :eek:

Leadfoot281
07-21-2007, 06:32 PM
It's amazing cars hold up as well as they do. Touring the Corvette plant made me realise how many steps, processes, work stations, and various sub assemblys there are in the construction of a car.

As far as the durability of this particular '96 goes, well, my neighbors bought a very low hour tractor. It was 3 years old with just 100 hours on it. They spent the next two years repairing oil leaks, hydraulic hoses, and cracked gaskets. I was virtually useless as a tractor 'til it had been completely gone through.

My Grampa bought a new Oldsmobile in '78. He quit driving it in 1990. It had 23,000 miles. We sold it after he passed away in '96. The car was wore out. The springs were so soft the car was unsafe to drive. New shocks didn't help. It smoked badly too. We got $1,200 for it.

Illss
07-21-2007, 07:17 PM
I doubt the car just sat the whole time without being started but if i has just been sitting then yeah one can assume the drivetrain to not last to long . Also IMO the lt-1 is a strong motor if takin care of plus they dont smoke half as bad as the TAXI crown vics here in chicago.

RCSignals
07-21-2007, 10:24 PM
But what about the Taxi Caprices, or are there even any left?

Vortex
07-22-2007, 06:38 AM
Suprised with all the "negative waves" on this car. To be honest, its basically the car our MM's tried to copy after all. I never drove an SS but did drive a regular run of the mill Caprice and I can tell you they drove pretty nice and were as comfortable as our MMs. Regarding any storage problems, its unlikely this car was stored outdoors as it was probably kept to sell someday as a collector car. I doubt there is any damage at all and having stored my GTO and Le Mans in storage units for almost that long I can tell you that cars prepared correctly can be stored indefintely. l think it would be tremendously cool to have a nice black MM and a nice black Impala SS in the same garage.

Crown Vicman
07-22-2007, 07:06 AM
In 1996 my dad bought a new impala ss. I have to admit from experience the ss is one of my fav cars. But here's the truth he had to sell the car three years later do to the amount of problems we were having with it. The fuel pump went out, the ac stopped working, all four windows stopped working, and things were beginning to loosen on the dash. The damn car only had about 120,000 miles on it and he didnt abuse it or anything. Well it was fun while it lasted. Well now he has an 2003 crown victoria with over 130,000 miles and not one problem yet.

Illss
07-22-2007, 02:53 PM
But what about the Taxi Caprices, or are there even any left?
No more due to the laws about older cars being taxis , need to be a certain age. My comment was ONLY my opinion .

RCSignals
07-22-2007, 03:35 PM
No more due to the laws about older cars being taxis , need to be a certain age. My comment was ONLY my opinion .

Thanks for the clarification. So you don't actually see Caprice LT1 Taxis to compare your opinion that the LT1 doesn't "smoke half as bad as the TAXI crown vics here in chicago."

I've seen a lot of Crown Vic Taxis, and a lot of pre-'98s, because out here they aren't outlawed being that old, and really haven't seen a lot of them smoking.
For some reason I don't see too many Caprice Taxis, but the few I have seen I haven't noticed smoking much either.

jgc61sr2002
07-22-2007, 05:50 PM
do you drive a marauder?

Yes since 1/7/2003

07-22-2007, 06:08 PM
I have seen more 4.6 Lincoln/Crown Vics smoking than anything else. But then again they probably have 300k miles on them.

Originally Posted by silver2004Marauder http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=515971#post51 5971)
And Ford can?

LOL I'll agree on that "and Ford can??"

frdrckmarauder
07-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Suprised with all the "negative waves" on this car. To be honest, its basically the car our MM's tried to copy after all. I never drove an SS but did drive a regular run of the mill Caprice and I can tell you they drove pretty nice and were as comfortable as our MMs. Regarding any storage problems, its unlikely this car was stored outdoors as it was probably kept to sell someday as a collector car. I doubt there is any damage at all and having stored my GTO and Le Mans in storage units for almost that long I can tell you that cars prepared correctly can be stored indefintely. l think it would be tremendously cool to have a nice black MM and a nice black Impala SS in the same garage.

Vortex--

These people on here are just PLAIN JEALOUS of this car for sale....
They want the car and they want it BAD...This jealous behavior is manifesting itself in these 'negative waves of comment.'

Now don't all come back and say, "Oh, I'm not jealous", because we all know that you are...

07-22-2007, 07:08 PM
I agree on being jealous. A surprising number of people on this board seem to think their MM is the best designed car ever, and nothing else is worthy of driving. We drive plastic-interiored, sqeaky, FORDS!!! There are many cars as nice or nicer if you look around. The 5.7 is a much, much more durable block and bottom end than the 4..6 DOHC is. The LT1 had some optispark issues, but there are retrofit kits to fix that.

I think the Marauder is nicer looking than the SS, but I would rather build the 350 based LT1 any day over the 4.6 DOHC. It's old tech pushrod design just works.

I agree the SS will be totally fine. Cylinder rust etc comments have no idea. Not on a properly stored car.

ts-pa
07-22-2007, 08:06 PM
I truly am jealous... I wish I could now afford a MM or a LT1 SS...or have bought either one new when they were available. Oh well, such is life.

My comments were mostly based knowing that cars that do not get driven often tend to have odd leaks from seals that have taken on a "set" or starting to have dry rot type cracking. Sure, the body is probably perfect, but I would be very concerned about putting it on the road as it sits. I'm sure if you could afford the high purchase price, the extra cost of seal replacements won't be much of an issue.

Just look at the engine picuture, there is a silver cylindrical object near firewall on passenger side, is the brown at the top of it rust? If you look at the radiator hoses, they look new, but if you look at a rubber hose at the air intake, it is turning white or grey in color. If you look at window wipers, you will see a lot of dust. Was this car uncovered the whole time?

I personally would rather buy a car this old with 10k rather than <500 miles on it.

Did the owner of the car change fluids while it was in storage? I can imagine that the original fluids may have some time influence breakdown or may have absorbed moisture.

Just some thoughts of why this might not be such a great deal if you plan on driving it once purchased.

Illss
07-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the clarification. So you don't actually see Caprice LT1 Taxis to compare your opinion that the LT1 doesn't "smoke half as bad as the TAXI crown vics here in chicago."

I've seen a lot of Crown Vic Taxis, and a lot of pre-'98s, because out here they aren't outlawed being that old, and really haven't seen a lot of them smoking.
For some reason I don't see too many Caprice Taxis, but the few I have seen I haven't noticed smoking much either. I can compare because just because they arent cabs dont mean they dont have high miles or werent taxis at one time an its obvious when all people do is take the numbers an stickers off. I'm not trying to argue but just saying/stating what i've seen an see . Point is both cars an all cars have flaws so the MM is no different . Again MY OPINION.:beer:

RCSignals
07-23-2007, 02:12 AM
These threads are always amusing.
One has to wonder why some of you even own a Ford product.

07-23-2007, 05:33 AM
One has to wonder why some of you even own a Ford product.

I don't know why you feel the need to bring up this nonsense again. Who cares what peoples' motivations are for owning a car? That wasn't your decision to make. I bought a Marauder because it is a big, fun car for the money. I certainly did not buy it because of any brand loyalty. I'm sure some other people had the same reason. If I had more money I would have bought something more expensive. Until then I am going to enjoy my car for all its plastic American goodness. Go hug your car.

Wags
07-23-2007, 06:50 AM
I bought a '96 SS new. It was a fantastic car. The only reason I bought the MM in June of '02, is that Chevy had nothing to replace it at that time. I had both for a short time, and both being stock, they ran almost identical times at the track. In a short race, and from stop light to stop light, the SS will kill a MM. But, in a longer run, the MM will catch up. I was really disapointed with the MM low end grunt when I bought it (1st Ford that I ever had, and still get crap from my Chevy buddies), and had to put money in it to get it up to my SS's low end torque. I would LOVE to have that SS. I paid ~25k for mine when I got it in '96, and sold it for more than Marauder's are selling for now, back in '02. They really hold their value. I've had alot more problems with the MM than I ever did with my SS. They both have their good and bad points. Remember, the MM is 7 yrs. newer than the SS, so you are not comparing apples to apples.

Wags

larryo340
07-23-2007, 08:24 AM
I don't know why you feel the need to bring up this nonsense again. Who cares what peoples' motivations are for owning a car? That wasn't your decision to make. I bought a Marauder because it is a big, fun car for the money. I certainly did not buy it because of any brand loyalty. I'm sure some other people had the same reason. If I had more money I would have bought something more expensive. Until then I am going to enjoy my car for all its plastic American goodness. Go hug your car.
:blah: And "expensive" cars do not use plastic in their interiors.
:rofl:

Raudermaster
07-23-2007, 08:28 AM
I agree with RCSignals. Some of you people come in and do nothing but b!tch and moan about the Ford car that you own. If it is that bad for you, simply sell it and buy something that you think is a lot better. I am not jealous at all of ANY SS Impala. I know of 3 here in town, one of them being my friends, and I can tell you ALL of them are nothing but junk. My friend's SS had 65k on it and he's gone through two rear ends, his tranny has been rebuilt, and the engine is nothing to gloat about either. I love how you can compare the 4.6l to the 5.7l. Both being a completely different design, not to mention a bigger liter size, but yet you feel the need to dog the 4.6.

07-23-2007, 08:44 AM
LOL you guys are funny. I have owned lot of different makes of cars and gone on a lot of enthusiast message boards for them, but I have never seen people behave like they do around here. It's like I insulted your child or something. I'm not sorry for having an open minded opinion.

Raudermaster
07-23-2007, 08:49 AM
You speak like NO other cars have any problems at all, only Ford. Which we all know is a crock of crap because every car manufacturer has problems. Hell, look at the mess Toyota got themselves in with their dumb Tundra.

07-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Oh I know all my cars have problems. Which is why I don't play favorites. A car is a car. You guys read all kinds of nuances into anything someone says that is not explicitly praising the almighty marauder. Which is a really amusing way to see "grown ups" behave. :rolleyes: People I would call real "Car Enthusiasts" may prefer one type of car over the other but can appreciate other cars for what they are. I think some guys here are not "Car enthusiasts" but instead just straight up "Marauder enthusiasts" and really hate cars in general. That's fine if that floats your boat. I'm all for promoting the hobby as opposed to being so fiercely hung up on only one very miniscule aspect of it.

RCSignals
07-23-2007, 09:56 AM

Again? What are you talking about. Did you get up out of the wrong side of the bed this morning evil?

RCSignals
07-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I bought a '96 SS new. It was a fantastic car. The only reason I bought the MM in June of '02, is that Chevy had nothing to replace it at that time. I had both for a short time, and both being stock, they ran almost identical times at the track. In a short race, and from stop light to stop light, the SS will kill a MM. But, in a longer run, the MM will catch up. I was really disapointed with the MM low end grunt when I bought it (1st Ford that I ever had, and still get crap from my Chevy buddies), and had to put money in it to get it up to my SS's low end torque. I would LOVE to have that SS. I paid ~25k for mine when I got it in '96, and sold it for more than Marauder's are selling for now, back in '02. They really hold their value. I've had alot more problems with the MM than I ever did with my SS. They both have their good and bad points. Remember, the MM is 7 yrs. newer than the SS, so you are not comparing apples to apples.

Wags

Yes the '96 Impala was the best of them. The particular one in this auction would likely be fine, with only a few of the typical things showing up that all infrequently driven cars have when suddenly driven a lot.
But I doubt whoever buys this particular car will make it a daily driver, if drive it at all.

You did good on the selling price of your Impala, I think the market varies by location.

RCSignals
07-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Oh I know all my cars have problems. Which is why I don't play favorites. A car is a car. You guys read all kinds of nuances into anything someone says that is not explicitly praising the almighty marauder. Which is a really amusing way to see "grown ups" behave. :rolleyes: People I would call real "Car Enthusiasts" may prefer one type of car over the other but can appreciate other cars for what they are. I think some guys here are not "Car enthusiasts" but instead just straight up "Marauder enthusiasts" and really hate cars in general. That's fine if that floats your boat. I'm all for promoting the hobby as opposed to being so fiercely hung up on only one very miniscule aspect of it.

You are very close minded for a person who claims to have such an open minded opinion.
Take a deep breath, relax a little.

offroadkarter
07-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Oh crap what did i start now :(

People a car is just a tool to get you from point A to point B, then back to point A, while maybe stopping at point BK and ordering a number 6 with a coke

Thats it. Lets get back to our peaceful selves.

RCSignals
07-23-2007, 12:08 PM

People a car is just a tool to get you from point A to point B, then back to point A, while maybe stopping at point BK and ordering a number 6 with a coke

To many people yes, however if that were entirely true there would be no car clubs, no 'Americruises', no Custom cars, no Hot Rods, no 'Ricers' etc etc.

Raudermaster
07-23-2007, 12:09 PM

I'm with ya, but I'd prefer a Wendy's #9 instead.

RCSignals
07-23-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm with ya, but I'd prefer a Wendy's #9 instead.

You prefer those square burger patties?

larryo340
07-23-2007, 12:30 PM
LOL you guys are funny. I have owned lot of different makes of cars and gone on a lot of enthusiast message boards for them, but I have never seen people behave like they do around here. It's like I insulted your child or something. I'm not sorry for having an open minded opinion.
Don't be sorry, everyone has a right to an opinion. I think most "car" people will talk more about the positives with their car and not loudly speak the negatives. After all if we mostly dwell on the negatives, we would all be like a bunch of miserable washwomen. Personally I would rather stick with the things that bring more happiness than aggravation.

Just curious though, how many is "alot of different makes"
if your age is as listed it should be a short list.

07-23-2007, 12:34 PM
I have owned: 2003 Acura TL Type S, 1997 Buick LeSabre that I had a custom flashed PCM done by Intense Racing's PCM guys, 1972 Thunderbird 429 car, 1978 Thunderbird 351 car, 1973 Dodge Charger big block, 1977 Chevy Camaro w/ 327 that I converted to roller cam, DIY EFI and OD trans, 1983 Pontiac Firebird converted to V8 and added TA 85-90 GFX and did paint and body on, and now working on a joint venture 1966 Dodge Dart that I swapped a V8 into. All fun in their own right, all flawed in their own right too. I've got the big 3 covered for now.

Stew
07-24-2007, 01:08 PM
I think this is all silly. I have had many cars and the 2 most reliable cars I have ever had are my 97 CVPI and my 96 Caprice. Hating on the b-bodies IMHO is damned ignorant. they are extremely reliable cars and will go forever. i had my Caprice until 103k miles until I had to sell it because of financial reasons. The ONLY issue I ever had was i had to replace a balljoint because some jackasses at a local allignment shop loosened to try and make me let them fix it (when you take a car in driving solidly just needing an allignment and take it home with the front end feeling loose as hell, it sucks). Now aqueaks, no rattles, no mechanical failures. I bought it at 60k miles. My CVPI wasn't as rattle free, but had 160k miles on it when i bought it, it had a few easily fixable issues and rebuilt tranny at 130k miles and after replacing a couple sensors did me fine until i sold is about a year later and got my grand Prix. As far as durability the B-bodies and panthers are right up there. both have their quirks, for sure, but you CANNOT call one a lesser car than the other. me personally? i'd like of each, the Marauder to drive eveyday and an Impala to build up (gotta love the modability of the LT1, seen a NA Impala running 12.1s full weight on DRs and fell in love again LOL). In the end everyone is going to have their opinion, but because you like your car the best is NO reason to bag on another car, generally that shows your are threatened by that car, ESPECIALLY when they are so close in ALL performance catagories.

07-24-2007, 01:12 PM
It's a Ford board, they hate chevies just because they are chevies, I guess I was naive in expecting people to be objective. Which is too bad because Chevy has made some great cars. Glad to hear your experience was positive.

Raudermaster
07-24-2007, 04:21 PM
VEB, you just pretty much contradicted yourself. You're right, it is a Ford board with you saying negative things about it. Go to an Imapala forum and say Chevy sucks on there, you will get b!tched at their too.

larryo340
07-24-2007, 04:33 PM
It's a Ford board, they hate chevies just because they are chevies, I guess I was naive in expecting people to be objective. Which is too bad because Chevy has made some great cars. Glad to hear your experience was positive.
I didn't always hate Chevys, I lost faith in GM cars built after the late 70's. Infact I had years ago 1)'63 Chevy II 300, 2)'64 Nova SS, 3)'63 Nova SS convertible, and 4)'75 Caprice Classic Hardtop.
My buddy recently got a '07 Tahoe, and I have to admit they have come a long way from the cheesey '80's and '90's, but I still think FORD has a nicer looking interior.
In the end "to each his own"

RCSignals
07-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Evil, there you go being negative again, and thinking you are somehow "objective'

No one here "hates" Chevys, but as you yourself said, this is a Ford board. Visit a GM board and see how they talk about Ford products. Maybe you just wouldn't notice. Visit an Impala board and look back a few years in their arcives and see how they talk(ed) about the Marauder when it came out. Heck if the posts weren't all deleted here look at some of the "visiting" Impala guys posts hating the Marauder right here.

It's all car guy talk, and it's all good.

Leadfoot281
07-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Now if we could just get the Green Bay Packers and the Chicago Bears together for one big group hug, we'd be in business! :D

gmtech
07-24-2007, 06:55 PM
I agree with RCSignals. Some of you people come in and do nothing but b!tch and moan about the Ford car that you own. If it is that bad for you, simply sell it and buy something that you think is a lot better. I am not jealous at all of ANY SS Impala. I know of 3 here in town, one of them being my friends, and I can tell you ALL of them are nothing but junk. My friend's SS had 65k on it and he's gone through two rear ends, his tranny has been rebuilt, and the engine is nothing to gloat about either. I love how you can compare the 4.6l to the 5.7l. Both being a completely different design, not to mention a bigger liter size, but yet you feel the need to dog the 4.6.
couldn't agree more w/ this statement...this is a MM forum..why are we bashing the MM?...i like my MM and it will stay that way:P

CBT
07-25-2007, 07:11 AM
Now if we could just get the Green Bay Packers and the Chicago Bears together for one big group hug, we'd be in business! :D

That has been attempted but the Packers won the toss and elected to recieve the hugs.....from behind. It got ugly.

hot-rauder
07-25-2007, 11:41 AM
I have owned: 2003 Acura TL Type S, 1997 Buick LeSabre that I had a custom flashed PCM done by Intense Racing's PCM guys, 1972 Thunderbird 429 car, 1978 Thunderbird 351 car, 1973 Dodge Charger big block, 1977 Chevy Camaro w/ 327 that I converted to roller cam, DIY EFI and OD trans, 1983 Pontiac Firebird converted to V8 and added TA 85-90 GFX and did paint and body on, and now working on a joint venture 1966 Dodge Dart that I swapped a V8 into. All fun in their own right, all flawed in their own right too. I've got the big 3 covered for now.

um i too have covered the big 3 but my list is much shorter and having owned all 3 with over 100k on them i can say my 97cvp73 was the most durable of all. my 86 chrysler 5th ave had 99k when i bought it from a family friend and was well taken care of. a year later it gave me carbon monoxcide poisoning. the water pump blew, powersteering went and the rear leafs dropped out of the back, yes this CAR had leaves:D

my 88 IROC 5.0 was my next car and it only lasted 4 months before ironicaclly blowing up on 6/6/06. harmonnic balancer shattered and threw a rod threw the pan. 102k on it when it blew.

my 97 cv, with the civilian police package, had 160k when i bought it. i would drive it 125 miles a day going to work back and forth and would make it a people hauler every weekend.i drove the car like crazy and it was aweseom. the only reason i got rid of the $900 beauty was to simply finally have a MM. paint was still good, the car hity a dear and only broke a headlight... it was a tank.

Stew
07-26-2007, 04:31 PM
You do realize you are comparing 2 cars from the mid 80s to a car from the late 90s. All the big 3 had came a LONG way since then and my 96 Caprice was as reliable, actually more so, than my 97 Vic, but the Vic was still damned good. Hell, my fleetwood has 150k miles and runs great and has NEVER let me down, it';s not perfect, but it is reliable, even still has an ice cold AC. Not bad for $1100 LOL.

hot-rauder
07-26-2007, 05:09 PM
You do realize you are comparing 2 cars from the mid 80s to a car from the late 90s. All the big 3 had came a LONG way since then and my 96 Caprice was as reliable, actually more so, than my 97 Vic, but the Vic was still damned good. Hell, my fleetwood has 150k miles and runs great and has NEVER let me down, it';s not perfect, but it is reliable, even still has an ice cold AC. Not bad for $1100 LOL.

i do realize that and i can still say that my CV with now almost 200k is still running tip top. all i did was oil changes and now the new owner goes to the shop where my best friend is a mechanic. they onlydid an oil change and the guy praised the durability of thecar. i know for a fact that niether the camaro or chrysler would have lasted that long and know of 3 90's camaros that have blown up well before the CV mileage. and yes i drove that car just as hard as those camaros were driven.

Stew
07-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Yes, but take you average mid 80s Ford, you are going to get the same type of thing. Anyways, also have a 96 Jeep Cherokee with 180k miles, runs great and everything works, 4wd, cold AC, etc, etc. I am just saying regardless of how hard whatever is driven, a late 90s car is going to last a LOT longer than a mid 80s car. Heck, i had 91 and 93 T-Birds and they were fun to drive and total junk. The 91 blew a headgasket at 101k miles and at 103 the 93 had blown out it's freez plugs twice, needed both front tie rod ends and ball joints replace (that was actually at 85k), and the transmission was acting up. My 97 Vic had 170k miles, but had needed a transmission at 130k and was losing overdrive on long trips. Also almost bought a 92 Crown Vic with 60k miles, but the transmission was out (gotta love first year models). Anyways i have owned enough of each of the big 3 to tell you, year for year, mile for mile, they are basically a wash in reliability and it has gotten better year after year since the 80s.

hot-rauder
07-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Yes, but take you average mid 80s Ford, you are going to get the same type of thing. Anyways, also have a 96 Jeep Cherokee with 180k miles, runs great and everything works, 4wd, cold AC, etc, etc. I am just saying regardless of how hard whatever is driven, a late 90s car is going to last a LOT longer than a mid 80s car. Heck, i had 91 and 93 T-Birds and they were fun to drive and total junk. The 91 blew a headgasket at 101k miles and at 103 the 93 had blown out it's freez plugs twice, needed both front tie rod ends and ball joints replace (that was actually at 85k), and the transmission was acting up. My 97 Vic had 170k miles, but had needed a transmission at 130k and was losing overdrive on long trips. Also almost bought a 92 Crown Vic with 60k miles, but the transmission was out (gotta love first year models). Anyways i have owned enough of each of the big 3 to tell you, year for year, mile for mile, they are basically a wash in reliability and it has gotten better year after year since the 80s.

I dont doubt you by any means. i know newer cars are built better, but i still feel that my ford has been the best vehicle i could have bought for $900. my dad still drives his 65 f100 with the 6 cylinder and 4 speed manual. ya its starting to rust finally (he lives in nebraska which is as moist as flour) but still runs like a champ.

Raudermaster
07-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Yep, my '95 CV with 41k on it ran awesome that I got for free...

Stew
07-26-2007, 07:17 PM
So did my 1500 CVPI and so does my 1100 dollar Caddy :) i wish i haver sold the vic though, thing handles like on rails LOL

hot-rauder
07-26-2007, 08:28 PM
So did my 1500 CVPI and so does my 1100 dollar Caddy :) i wish i haver sold the vic though, thing handles like on rails LOL

mine was exciting... anytime i took a corner, at any speed, it felt like a rollercoaster... ya i liked to carve them corners. hehe

RCSignals
07-26-2007, 10:08 PM

In what respect was your 96 Caprice more reliable than your 97 Vic?

offroadkarter
07-26-2007, 10:13 PM
In what respect was your 96 Caprice more reliable than your 97 Vic?

I second that question, i'd like to know to. Not saying that they are unreliable, but my friend had (dad drives now) a 94 caprice with the police package, the LT-1 and a set of magnaflow true dual's. At the same time the door panels were falling off, the rear end blew out, and it shifted hard if you stomped on the gas. My uncle had a grey caprice and the paint was spider cracking, and im pretty sure the tranny went in that also.

Do tell your tale :)

Stew
07-27-2007, 03:21 AM
Basically i had had ZERO problems with the Caprice ever, I had ZERO squeaks, ZERO rattles. the Vic had a few squeaks and rattles, a bad tie rod, and the transmission was on it's way out for the second time. Not to mention the Vic required a few sensors. Nothing that wasn't mentioned earlier in the thread.

RCSignals
07-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Wasn't the Vic a tired worn out Police car?

You never had any opti-spark problems?

BCKNBLK
07-27-2007, 01:16 PM
packer picture

hot-rauder
07-27-2007, 01:19 PM
packer picture

gives a whole knew meaning to the team...

Stew
07-27-2007, 07:01 PM
No OptiSpark problems with my Caprice. i also has a 96 Roadmaster for a shorter time all it ever needed was a new thrmostat, but I only had it for 20k miles. i also had a much lower mileage 94 mercury Grand Marquis, not a tired old police car, had a few problems with the engine smoking in it, AC died, and it the throttle would stick at WOT, scared the **** out of me. I have had way too many cars LOL. Still with the issues, I'd have a Panther or B-Body over any other car. Hell, the Fleetwood has over 160k m miles now and after some new plugs and wires runs as any car I have ever had of course it is the older 350 TBI and lacking in power, but I have no doubt i can get at least another 100k miles out of it without any kind of overhaul. And these all experiences "I" have had, not my friend, not my second cousin Bob, but me, all cars with lots of mixed miles (20-30k miles a year in most cases).

whd507
07-27-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm a ford guy to be sure, I respect the GM vehicles, but from my experience, fords last longer overall. I have seen this for many years of personal expeience, and professional experiance as well. my store stocks far fewer parts for panthers, than for GM full-size cars. Gm hasnt built too many in the past ten years, and ford has built hundreds of thousands of them, yet a chain of autoparts stores with 4000 stores chooses to stock 12 rotors for the caprice, and two for pre03, and two for 03-up panthers.(wth?)
all sorts of stuff I have to order, and yet I have gm stuff in stock. I sell a optispark a week.

I love chevies... but then I sell autoparts for a living... whats not to love?

if the car was stored properly, it wont be an issue, a can of fogging spray is cheap, it looked kept indoors,climate control and keep weight off the suspension, and start it ocassionally, no problems.

(I'd take a 96 SS in a "heartbeat" though)

Stew
07-27-2007, 08:32 PM
That's interesting, but like i have said, i can make a huge list of the big 3 I have had, including 2 panthers, 2 B-Bodies, 1 D-Body and there is really no difference, it';s all in the maintenence, A well kept Ford will not outlast a well kept GM and so forth. And also with autoparts store, around here it is just the opposite, even on maintenence items. i had to order rotors/pads for the Caprice, but for my Vic and the grand Marquis they were in stock on the spot. Wierd I guess, but eh.

Stew
07-27-2007, 08:40 PM
That said i could put a list of issues i have had with my grand Prix and a list of uissues I had with the 2 thunderbirds I owned, i just think the B-Bodies and Panthers are above average reliaibility examples for both GM and Ford.

Motorhead350
07-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Old school Chevys, Old school Music. The best is in the past, like I said in another thread it's beyond my opinion. ;)

Raudermaster
07-29-2007, 08:31 AM
A well kept Ford will not outlast a well kept GM and so forth.

So you know this for a fact, or your opinion? My friend's father has a 1987 F150 XLT 4.9l 5spd 4x4. Nothing special what so ever, just been a fantastic truck since he's bought it knew. He has about 385,000 miles on that truck with not a single engine rebuild. The only thing he's changed major has been the head gaskets, and that truck starts every time you turn the key. So I don't know how you can say that, maybe you're basing it on yourself only and comparing your Vic and Caprice's, which wouldn't be very accurate.

Stew
07-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Actually if I am going by family and friends I'd say the GMs last longer, most people I know with Fords don't have them very long. That said all i can really go on is my personal experiences, there are Fleetwoods, Caprices, Impalas, and Roadmasters with more than 200k-300k and run great and many on stock engines. Right now I have a 98 Ranger, 00 GTP, and 93 Fleetwood. The Ranger needed a new engine at 100k and now needs a new transmission at 170k, the crown Vic needed it's second transmission rebuild when I sold it,. needed front end work, had an airbag light, and the bolts that hold the driver's seat down all broke but 1 the fan Speed control didn't work (full or nothing), and had to replace multiple sensors, but the engine as smooth as can be. the Grand marquis had sticking throttle issues at 103k and was showing signs of transmission failure, I bought a 60k mile SHO Taurus and only kept it for 6 hours because it starting throwing a check engine light and codes, my 91 T-bird blew it's headgaskets and multiple brake issues, and the AC was non operational, again had just over 110k when I sold it, my 93 T-Bird blew out it's freezeplugs, had to have balljoint=s and tierod ends replaced on both sides at 83k miles, alternator went out, AC went out, and the transmission was going out and the main seals were leaking oil from the engine (5.0 HO) There is the fun I have had with Fords. Now my GM I won't include my S-10s since they were both smallblock conversions, though I can say at 180k and 205k miules the bodies and suspension were in great shape. My roadmaster only ever needed a thermostat, though my time with it was short (only got to put about 20k miles on it, had 90k when i traded it), Caprice in 50k miles of driving needed nothing but basic maintenence, the caddie is need of shocks and tires and the intermittent wipers don't work, but, from the previous and only owner, has never had a motor or transmission rebuild and is at 160k miles and runs and shifts as good as any new car. Now the GTP, this has been my most troublesome GM, tranny rebuild at 130k miles, AC has a leak, window switch is out and replace both front wheel hubs, though most of that is a direct result of the extra power being channeled through the front wheels. That's a lot of experience and you posted but ONE example of a high mileage Ford and it is great it has lasted so long, but that is but one example I am sure i can find at LEAST 1 chevy or GMC locally that has done the same or MORE. And I stick by it, Ford and GM are the same, you take care of them and they will treat you well, I mean hell, i am not here saying Fords are pieces of **** and GMs rule the world or some similar stupid BS. I mean give it break, don't be so blinded by Ford you have to take poy shots at other manufactures to make yourself feel better or something (or why, I wouldn't know as it's pretty silly). Anywho, I would own either one as both have come a real long way in thast few years especially.

hot-rauder
07-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Actually if I am going by family and friends I'd say the GMs last longer, most people I know with Fords don't have them very long. That said all i can really go on is my personal experiences, there are Fleetwoods, Caprices, Impalas, and Roadmasters with more than 200k-300k and run great and many on stock engines. Right now I have a 98 Ranger, 00 GTP, and 93 Fleetwood. The Ranger needed a new engine at 100k and now needs a new transmission at 170k, the crown Vic needed it's second transmission rebuild when I sold it,. needed front end work, had an airbag light, and the bolts that hold the driver's seat down all broke but 1 the fan Speed control didn't work (full or nothing), and had to replace multiple sensors, but the engine as smooth as can be. the Grand marquis had sticking throttle issues at 103k and was showing signs of transmission failure, I bought a 60k mile SHO Taurus and only kept it for 6 hours because it starting throwing a check engine light and codes, my 91 T-bird blew it's headgaskets and multiple brake issues, and the AC was non operational, again had just over 110k when I sold it, my 93 T-Bird blew out it's freezeplugs, had to have balljoint=s and tierod ends replaced on both sides at 83k miles, alternator went out, AC went out, and the transmission was going out and the main seals were leaking oil from the engine (5.0 HO) There is the fun I have had with Fords. Now my GM I won't include my S-10s since they were both smallblock conversions, though I can say at 180k and 205k miules the bodies and suspension were in great shape. My roadmaster only ever needed a thermostat, though my time with it was short (only got to put about 20k miles on it, had 90k when i traded it), Caprice in 50k miles of driving needed nothing but basic maintenence, the caddie is need of shocks and tires and the intermittent wipers don't work, but, from the previous and only owner, has never had a motor or transmission rebuild and is at 160k miles and runs and shifts as good as any new car. Now the GTP, this has been my most troublesome GM, tranny rebuild at 130k miles, AC has a leak, window switch is out and replace both front wheel hubs, though most of that is a direct result of the extra power being channeled through the front wheels. That's a lot of experience and you posted but ONE example of a high mileage Ford and it is great it has lasted so long, but that is but one example I am sure i can find at LEAST 1 chevy or GMC locally that has done the same or MORE. And I stick by it, Ford and GM are the same, you take care of them and they will treat you well, I mean hell, i am not here saying Fords are pieces of **** and GMs rule the world or some similar stupid BS. I mean give it break, don't be so blinded by Ford you have to take poy shots at other manufactures to make yourself feel better or something (or why, I wouldn't know as it's pretty silly). Anywho, I would own either one as both have come a real long way in thast few years especially.

you cant say one will last longer than the other because according to toyota, chevy, dodge, and ford, they all have the longest lasting products.

Stew
07-29-2007, 08:17 PM
And you can't say Fords last longer if you are going to use that argument, all i can go on is MY personaly experiences and that is 5 Fords and 6 GMs, including 2 panthers, 2 b-bodies, and a d-body and the origional debate was actually the reliability between B/D-bodies and Panthers was it not? They are about the same, neither are perfect, but are a bit above the curve for their respective manufacturers. When putting "my" experiences together, they are spot on.

RCSignals
07-30-2007, 02:37 PM
...................... and the origional debate was actually the reliability between B/D-bodies and Panthers was it not? .................

No, the original discussion was about a "new" 11 year old Impala SS

keithb123
09-14-2007, 07:28 PM
wow, 11 cars in how many years? sounds like you are ruff on all of them.

And you can't say Fords last longer if you are going to use that argument, all i can go on is MY personaly experiences and that is 5 Fords and 6 GMs, including 2 panthers, 2 b-bodies, and a d-body and the origional debate was actually the reliability between B/D-bodies and Panthers was it not? They are about the same, neither are perfect, but are a bit above the curve for their respective manufacturers. When putting "my" experiences together, they are spot on.