PDA

View Full Version : Dodge RT Daytona Hemi

Architect
07-20-2007, 07:21 AM
Ok, I need some dragster input on this one...
I saw a new red Dodge RT Daytona Hemi yesterday....
He had purposely left his 1/4 mile time on his backwindow for show....written in white shoe polish...
I couldn't talk with him so I don't know if this is for real or not....
It said 9.98...:eek:
Is this for real...:confused:
I haven't been to the track in years so I'm clueless...
Thanks, Architect

magindat
07-20-2007, 07:31 AM
He had purposely left his 1/4 mile time on his backwindow for show....written in white shoe polish...
Thanks, Architect

I run with a STOCK yellow one often at Moroso. I've become friends with the owner although I beat him all the time. He's an even WORSE driver than ME! That car runs Mid 14's on a good night. He's always cussing his traction control and ESP.

The crank HP and torque are very close to my estimated CHP and CT, but that car actually weighs MORE than ours.

I think 9.98 is a complete crock.

rvaldez1
07-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks, Architect

Maybe it was a 1/8 mile time.

magindat
07-20-2007, 07:57 AM

That makes sense!!!

Bluerauder
07-20-2007, 07:59 AM
If it is a 1/8 time, he has trouble. Heck, I was just shy of that (10.045) in my pitiful runs at Mason-Dixon. That equates to a 15.2-15.3 in the quarter mile. I think the 9.98 is quite a stretch. Just remember that the back window just sits there and you can write anything on it. I can put 11.2 on my window and it don't mean squat. ;)

Architect
07-20-2007, 07:59 AM
I run with a STOCK yellow one often at Moroso. I've become friends with the owner although I beat him all the time. He's an even WORSE driver than ME! That car runs Mid 14's on a good night. He's always cussing his traction control and ESP.

The crank HP and torque are very close to my estimated CHP and CT, but that car actually weighs MORE than ours.

I think 9.98 is a complete crock.
Man, that's what I thought, but just wanted to hear it from some other folks...:D
appreciate it...Architect

magindat
07-20-2007, 08:04 AM
If it is a 1/8 time, he has trouble. Heck, I was just shy of that (10.045) in my pitiful runs at Mason-Dixon. That equates to a 15.2-15.3 in the quarter mile. I think the 9.98 is quite a stretch. Just remember that the back window just sits there and you can write anything on it. I can put 11.2 on my window and it don't mean squat. ;)

That 1\8 time makes sense cuz I ALWAYS dust his ass on the line and he creeps back a tiny bit down track. In a crappy night he runs low-mid 15's. On a great night with good hook, he'll run 14.7's.

MarauderMarc
07-20-2007, 08:05 AM
I vote for 1/8 mile time.....

I think they are SLOOOOOOOOOW. I raced one in a pretty stock 2001 GT Mustang and spanked it.

fastblackmerc
07-20-2007, 08:24 AM
It's most likely an 1/8 mile time.

Quick check over at http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=110
and most are running mid to low 14's.

larryo340
07-20-2007, 09:20 AM
It's most likely an 1/8 mile time.

Quick check over at http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=110
and most are running mid to low 14's.

^^^^^^^^^^:agree: with all the 1/8th mile opinions

JonW
07-20-2007, 11:22 AM
It's gotta be 1/8 mile time. A stock Daytona in the hands of a capable driver is a mid-14 second car. My Daytona is mechanically stock, and my mildly modded Marauder will spank it. The traction control on a Daytona or R/T can only be reduced to about 15%, not turned off completely. Only the SRTs and police cars have the ability to turn the traction control completely off. That, coupled with 2.82 gears, doesn't exactly make them a rocket off the line. By the time they're getting up a head of steam, it's time to shut down.

Do NOT race a stock Daytona with a stock Marauder on top end and expect to win, though. You'll be seeing Charger taillights every time.

MarauderTJA
07-20-2007, 11:28 AM
1/8 mile. Those cars are dogs.

fastblackmerc
07-20-2007, 11:32 AM
It's gotta be 1/8 mile time. A stock Daytona in the hands of a capable driver is a mid-14 second car. My Daytona is mechanically stock, and my mildly modded Marauder will spank it. The traction control on a Daytona or R/T can only be reduced to about 15%, not turned off completely. Only the SRTs and police cars have the ability to turn the traction control completely off. That, coupled with 2.82 gears, doesn't exactly make them a rocket off the line. By the time they're getting up a head of steam, it's time to shut down.

Do NOT race a stock Daytona with a stock Marauder on top end and expect to win, though. You'll be seeing Charger taillights every time.
I agree. My wife's '07 R/T is a dog compared to my MM.

RCSignals
07-20-2007, 11:38 AM

That's probably true, but last fall, on the highway to LA a Daytona came up to me on the left and wanted to "play". I was driving the 2003 CVPI, and I never did see his tail lights. He seemed ticked.
I know the Marauder is faster than the CVPI.

JonW
07-20-2007, 11:39 AM
The Daytona is NOT a dog. It's a fast car considering it's weight and gearing. But it's more along the lines of a European touring car. It does have Mercedes heritage, remember? It's very comfortable and very stable at most any speed (I've had mine to 120). It is not a drag car.

At my house, the Daytona is our road car. We take it on trips, and it's the only car I have or have had that the SO is comfortable in. They do have awesome seats. For playing around town and for good old American muscle, the Marauder is the weapon of choice. With 4.10s and a 3000 stall, I can eat Chargers for lunch. They're both great cars. They just do different things well.

JonW
07-20-2007, 11:41 AM
That's probably true, but last fall, on the highway to LA a Daytona came up to me on the left and wanted to "play". I was driving the 2003 CVPI, and I never did see his tail lights. He seemed ticked.

Depending on who you talk to, and the variances in individual cars, a stock Daytona is limited to ~145 mph. A stock CVPI won't touch that. Neither will a stock Marauder.

rvaldez1
07-20-2007, 01:18 PM

Depending on who you talk to, and the variances in individual cars, a stock Daytona is limited to ~145 mph. A stock CVPI won't touch that. Neither will a stock Marauder.

I would have to say, possibly a 3.5 V6 charger would lose to a cvpi, but a R/T or daytona??? If he gave it his all, the cvpi had no chance, especially top end.

RCSignals
07-20-2007, 02:47 PM
I would have to say, possibly a 3.5 V6 charger would lose to a cvpi, but a R/T or daytona??? If he gave it his all, the cvpi had no chance, especially top end.

It was definitely a Daytona. Belive it, I was there, and he was trying. Can't explain it.

Advancedautosec
07-20-2007, 03:21 PM
is the Daytona faster than the R/T? or is it the same? whats the deal with the SXT? to many models.

JonW
07-20-2007, 03:30 PM
A Daytona has 10 hp more than an R/T or a police Charger, 350 vs 340. That's nothing to brag about on the street, just marketing hype.

RC, your Daytona driver just ran out of cojones before he ran out of car. Or he was toying with you. No other explanation.

hot-rauder
07-20-2007, 04:09 PM
my mother is driving a rental v6 charger right nowand she claims that it "smokes" as in flys! hah i told her to get the v8 hemi or maybe the 6.1liter and see what happens. she was scared.

my best friend (a chevy guy:shake:) has a 99 z28,( which i love wrecking on the strip). he claims he wold smoke the srt-8 charger in town. i have told him many a times, NO ****G WAY! i tell him not to play with fire (its red:D) cause he gets burnt (his cheesemaro is black:D):flamer:

those cars are beasts

PhastPhil
07-20-2007, 04:34 PM
This reminds me of a funny story.
About fifteen years ago, a friend and I bought a well worn out 1953 or 54 Dodge two door. It had the first factory Hemi engine in it. It was a 331 cubic inch V-8. Just for laughs, I took some old shoe polish and wrote on the windshield and side windows. A/FX Hemi 10.98 I wrote it the way you would have seen it on the old factory race cars. The car was parked for months alongside my friend's autobody shop. Some young guy came around and saw the car,and thought it was for real. He wanted to buy it, and my frined told him no. He came around regularly for several months pestering my friend to sell it to him. Several people told my friend to sell it to him to shut him up. The guy had plans for it, and even knew where he could get chrome Hemi vavle covers to put on it. We laughed at the thought of this guy trying to put 426 Hemi valve covers on a 331 inch motor. The two covers would have been bigger than the whole motor!
This was at the peak of the musclecar craze in the late 80's, and this guy was convinced he found a true rare factory race car, and wouldn't beleive the truth. Thing is, had he really known about the factory race cars, in the early 50's they weren't running near those kinds of times of sub 11 seconds. That didn't come until the 60's.

hot-rauder
07-20-2007, 05:05 PM
About fifteen years ago, a friend and I bought a well worn out 1953 or 54 Dodge two door. It had the first factory Hemi engine in it. It was a 331 cubic inch V-8. Just for laughs, I took some old shoe polish and wrote on the windshield and side windows. A/FX Hemi 10.98 I wrote it the way you would have seen it on the old factory race cars. The car was parked for months alongside my friend's autobody shop. Some young guy came around and saw the car,and thought it was for real. He wanted to buy it, and my frined told him no. He came around regularly for several months pestering my friend to sell it to him. Several people told my friend to sell it to him to shut him up. The guy had plans for it, and even knew where he could get chrome Hemi vavle covers to put on it. We laughed at the thought of this guy trying to put 426 Hemi valve covers on a 331 inch motor. The two covers would have been bigger than the whole motor!
This was at the peak of the musclecar craze in the late 80's, and this guy was convinced he found a true rare factory race car, and wouldn't beleive the truth. Thing is, had he really known about the factory race cars, in the early 50's they weren't running near those kinds of times of sub 11 seconds. That didn't come until the 60's.

i love it! haha did your friend ever seel the car to the poor sucker or keep it??

my brothers girlfriend has an original 64 barracuda with the 6 cylinder in it. all original and it runs so nice. they are currently just putting on some needed restoration, nothing major but just enough to get it back to nice (minimal rust just old paint and its an old car, it can never be perfect). all of our friends say drop a hemi in it and do it out, but her dad and my brother and i wont let it happen. a numbers matching 6 cylinder barracuda with low miles, this thing will be worth more money than the hemis given some more time!

NOT HER CAR BUT SAME COLOR AND MODELhttp://www.spacey.net/cconnor/Bixby64PlymouthBarracuda.jpg

RCSignals
07-20-2007, 10:35 PM

Those early '50s Hemi engines were nothing to write home about.
Mildly hopped up Ford flatheads could beat them on the street easily.

RCSignals
07-20-2007, 10:36 PM
A Daytona has 10 hp more than an R/T or a police Charger, 350 vs 340. That's nothing to brag about on the street, just marketing hype.

RC, your Daytona driver just ran out of cojones before he ran out of car. Or he was toying with you. No other explanation.

Could be, you never know what he was doing.

Raudermaster
07-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Uhh, I thought the Daytona edition, Rumble Bee, whatever else Dodge decides to label on the Charger, all they are is appearence packages? Aside from the SRT's obviously.

JonW
07-21-2007, 08:40 PM
The Daytona includes specific paint, Daytona decals, body-color stitching on the seats, upgraded intake and exhaust for 10 more hp, blacked out grille, and maybe a few more minor things. It is basically a cosmetic package, and is only built in limited numbers. Mine is one of 2000 built in TorRed, or bright red.

Stew
07-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Stock for stock, the Charger is going to win against a Marauder at basically any speed. Also you can get the R/T package on the RT which includes the exhaust and intake from the daytone, stiffer suspension, and the SRT seats. In any case though, the Daytona and R/Ts perform roughly the same, but i really like look of the Daytona and the old Mopar colors they offer them in, still waiting to see if the do a Plum Crazy :D.

ChiTownMaraud3r
07-24-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen the plum crazy purples around, at least at the auto show. That is just the color schemes right?

Stew
07-24-2007, 03:56 PM
I am not even sure if they have offered it, but is a purple color from old mopars. i know that was one of the colors they were at least thinking about doing.

bugsys03
07-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Plum Crazy R/T's on the lot now. SRT's coming soon. They also have the R/T in the old lime color from the 70's.

RCSignals
07-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Yes i saw a Barney edition Charger the other day.

mrjones
07-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Bee careful (bee, get it) the yellow Super Bee Chargers are not just Daytonas, they're built on the SRT platform and are packin 425hp.