Article from Todays NY Daily News....

Speed demon denial

Nitrous gas tank wasn't hooked up, sez drag racer in deadly S.I. wreck

BY JOE GOULD, DORIAN BLOCK and JONATHAN LEMIRE
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Wednesday, July 25th 2007, 9:34 AM <HR class=access>

Rocket ride

Q: What is nitrous oxide?
A: "It's a gas that gets pumped into the engine, allowing it to work faster," said Joe Monderine, an auto mechanic at Joe's Transmissions in Brooklyn. "It adds more horsepower to an engine and does so cheaply."
Q: How does it work in a car?
A: "You just push a button and gas from a canister in the backseat or the trunk funnels into the engine," Monderine said. "It's a powerful trigger."
Q: Is it legal?
A: No. "But there are guys on the street who would do it," Monderine said. "I've heard of garages who would hook up the system for just $1,000."
Q: How much faster can it make a vehicle go?
A: It depends on the car. But you "can probably shave two or three seconds off the time it would take a car to go a quarter-mile," Monderine said. "The Mustang could probably go 120 or 130 mph, easy."
Q: Is it dangerous?
A: "It's pressurized gas, so there's always chance of an explosion," Monderine said. "If it's overpressurized or overheated, it could blow up an engine or - if it's near the gas tank - maybe the entire car." Jonathan Lemire

<!-- ARTICLE CONTENT START -->The driver of a souped-up Mustang involved in a horrific wreck that killed a 17-year-old Staten Island girl claimed yesterday he didn't give his car an illegal boost using nitrous oxide gas.
Cops found a tank of the speed-enhancing gas in the trunk of 18-year-old Anthony Reis'. crashed sports car after the Monday night accident that killed Michelle Arout and injured six others.
Reis' car was going at least 90 mph at the time of the crash, police said.
But Reis - a frequent drag racer with a history of driving violations - denied using the illegal gas to race his friend's car in the moments before the crash. The tank "wasn't connected," Reis said, as he gazed at a growing roadside memorial to Arout, who died minutes after the 9 p.m. crash. "That's all I have to say."
Investigators believe Reis was racing his gray 1994 Ford Mustang GT against a black 2003 Honda Accord driven by his friend, 17-year-old Joe Donovan.
The pair was speeding along a quiet stretch of Veterans Road West, a popular spot for drag racing, when the Honda roared ahead of the Mustang before hydroplaning on the slick road.
The Honda, which belonged to Donovan's father, crossed into the path of the Mustang. The cars collided, flipping the Mustang and sending the Honda into a fire hydrant, splitting the car in two. The violent impact threw the backseat passengers - Arout and her 16-year-old boyfriend, Thomas Barclay - from the vehicle.
"It was horrendous," said witness Valerie Donnelly. "The cars were a mess. There was blood all over; there was clothing all over."
A truck driver staying at a nearby hotel found Arout in the woods and carried her to the street. Paramedics rushed the teen, a senior at Tottenville High School and the sister of an NYPD sergeant, to Staten Island University Hospital South. But she could not be saved.
Barclay was in critical condition at Staten Island University Hospital North. He regained consciousness yesterday and asked for Arout - but his mother didn't have the heart to tell him his girlfriend was dead.
"He doesn't know yet," said Patty Barclay, 42. "I'm trying to calm him down. [But] he keeps asking about his friends."
The other five teens in the cars - all students at Tottenville High - were released from area hospitals yesterday.
In the past 18 months, Reis had been cited for driving without a license, disobeying a traffic device, dangerous driving and improper passing. His license had been suspended but was in good standing at the time of Monday's wreck, according to a law enforcement source.
No charges were filed against him or the other driver involved in the fatal crash.
Arout's friends remembered her as a free spirit who planned to attend the Learning Institute For Beauty Sciences in Brooklyn to become a beautician.
"I'm mostly angry because she wasn't supposed to go like this, not at the age of 17," said Vita Balsamo, 17.

Breadfan
07-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Nitrous is illegal on the street in a number of places. I believe VA Law states no active nitrous on the street, don't konw about NY.

Raudermaster
07-25-2007, 11:52 AM
I too think it is illegal anywhere but on a track.

magindat
07-25-2007, 12:25 PM
...when the Honda roared ahead of the Mustang...

Sounds to me like the Honda was on the juice.

...before hydroplaning on the slick road.

Just plain dumb.

Tragic.

Pat
07-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I just finished reviewing all sections of Louisiana Revised Statutes #32, which governs vehicles and couldn't find any prohibition on Nitrous gas use.

I also contacted Troop G of the Louisiana Highway Patrol, our local Sheriff and city police departments and they do not know of any prohibition on the use of NOS on street vehicles. So, I'm good to go.

Now if we cross into states that have anti-nitrous system laws I will be very careful not to get a ticket. Maybe I should disconnect the bottle (easy to do).

RCSignals
07-26-2007, 02:25 PM
I just finished reviewing all sections of Louisiana Revised Statutes #32, which governs vehicles and couldn't find any prohibition on Nitrous gas use.

I also contacted Troop G of the Louisiana Highway Patrol, our local Sheriff and city police departments and they do not know of any prohibition on the use of NOS on street vehicles. So, I'm good to go.

Now if we cross into states that have anti-nitrous system laws I will be very careful not to get a ticket. Maybe I should disconnect the bottle (easy to do).

I guess it depends if such a law banned use of the gas on the street, or the entire Nitrous system installation.

I'm not sure how a Policeman would find a system on a car unless it was actively being used, or he was specifically looking for it.

Showing that the system was not "active" like that you would think would be enough to avoid a ticket.

Pat
07-26-2007, 03:26 PM
RC Signals;

The SOP for LEO's is to ask to search your car or trunk, some may omit that if they feel there is nothing to gain. However, if they ask then I could refuse, as is my constitutional right, at which time I will be told to stand by while they call for a drug dog, which may take some time. The choice is mine.

This is assuming I have been stopped for a simple traffic violation and not a felony offense.

I would normally let them look in the trunk but that big purple bottle will stand out. Not to worry, in my state it's not an offense to have/use a NOS system. For those states were it may be prohibited a disconnected bottle will reflect that the system is not active. Being from out of state I prolly would just be told to keep on going, have a nice visit, spend lots of money and come back again.

finster101
07-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Key word "probably"!

DEFYANT
07-26-2007, 05:43 PM
It is illegal in Md.

rayjay
07-26-2007, 06:17 PM
I have never really looked it up. I have a searchable NYS VTL on my PC at work. If I have time tonight I'll see if I can find anything.

Pat
07-26-2007, 08:59 PM
The applicable law in Maryland is Article Transportation: 22-404.5

It states, in part, that one may not operate on a highway a vehicle equipped with a NOS system.

Exception: You can have a NOS system on a vehicle enroute to/from a race track and the system is inoperative while on the highway.

Decal- two decals are required one on the front bumper and one of the rear bumper. Silver lettering, 1" high on a black background. These are issued by the State Fire Marshall or NOS distributer.

All I need are the black/silver decals, have green/black ones, wonder if that will work?

I'll look on the internet for the black ones.

rayjay
07-27-2007, 01:12 AM
I have tried searching the NYS VTL every way I can think of. No references to nitrous. Knowing NYS law its buried under something else. I have a expert to contact if he is working later today. There may very well be local laws that prohibit it. On certain bridges and tunnels you can not enter with propane tanks for example and that maybe where the prohibition comes from.

The person I needed to speak to had left for the day when I called. My educated guess is that it is illegal for the street, but the prohibition comes from a volume of law other than the VTL. ie: cultivating marihuana is a crime under the NYS Public Health Law, not the Penal Law.

Breadfan
07-27-2007, 07:00 AM
Here's the VA law if anyone was interested:

"§ 46.2-1088.4. Devices used to supply nitrous oxide to the engines of motor vehicles.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth if such vehicle is equipped with any device that supplies the vehicle's engine with nitrous oxide, unless the device has been disabled such that the supply of nitrous oxide is disconnected and not readily accessible to the source of delivery.

Violation of any provision of this section shall constitute a Class 3 misdemeanor."

Pat
07-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Well it seems Md and Va have anti-nitrous laws for street applications. However, they do leave us an "out", just disconnect the system.

As far as decals go, I contacted the Md fire marshalls office and their decal seems to be unique to the state. It can be obtained at their office in Pikesville for $2.00 each.

Well that's too far to drive for $4.00 worth of labels. I'll just use the DOT UN1956 label which says the same thing. Only differece is the background is green instead of black.

I hope I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill.