PDA

View Full Version : Old Schoolers.... I need your help

Motorhead350
07-28-2007, 04:46 PM
I finally got this record player working that my family got way back in Feb of 1960 and it works pretty well, but there are two problems maybe you can help me with. First when a 45 is almost done playing, it skips. No matter what record old or fresh press. Gene Vincent, The Coasters, Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins... it does it to 33s too right in the same place. I don't know if it's balance or what because it works perfect until the hand that holds the needle gets to that point.

Also I can't get my channel B to work. Channel A is fine and I can hook up both speakers to the same channel, but on some songs the lead vocals will be missing or a rhythm guitar. If anyone knows how to get the player to go all the way though or get a channel going on a Tube amp let me know.

This thing is still a lot of fun and I'll die fixing this thing before I ever consider an ipod. Some say I'm ill, so I'm gonna Stay Sick.

Ok, help me here. :D

Mike Poore
07-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Dom, there should be an adjustment to tell the arm to lift and swing away for the next record to drop, when it hits the end of the record. It's most likely a mechanical cam of some sort, with an adjustment screw, with access through the bottom, or not.

Noting that it's a 60's vintage, it could have tubes, or be solid state, depending upon the manufacturer, and quality of the deck. Interestingly, the better units stayed with tubes well past the date you might expect. Assuming it has tubes, check to see if one of 'em's not lighting up, or find an old timer with test equipment to look at it for you. If you have room in the MM, you might want to drag it along to Hagerstown, where some of us old guys might be able to fix it, or at least point you in the right direction. :)

rayjay
07-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Is it a all in one unit with the speaker(s) in a box type setup? Or is it a turntable? Mike's right it may have tubes if its a all in one setup. You could try cleaning the stylus with a soft brush and rubbing alcohol. It could be just gunked up. Whatever you do, DO NOT get rid of it. You'd be surpized what those sell for.
Jim, they still make high end amps with tubes. Purist audiophiles think they sound better.

KillJoy
07-28-2007, 07:02 PM
some of us old guys might be able to fix it, or at least point you in the right direction. :)

Mike Poore - Old Guy of MANY talents!

:D

KillJoy

offroadkarter
07-28-2007, 07:25 PM
rehcourd player? Is it Ipod compatable? :D

Motorhead350
07-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Whatever you do, DO NOT get rid of it. You'd be surpized what those sell for, they sound better.

I am NEVER getting rid of this and am very happy with it. I just wish it worked 100%. It's not an all in one, there are many wires and things to get it to hook up. There is a turn table, radio, amp and another box to control the audio plus 2 huge speakers. I would take it to Marauder Ville, but I don't want anything to happen to it when I go down the race track and even if I took it to my room every night, I would still be scared if I dropped it. It's a classic and if I can't fix it myself, I'll just take it to some local place that knows old school audio.

You guys should have heard what Everyday By Buddy Holly and The Crickets sounded like on this thing because the record was just as old as the player. I felt like I took a step back in time, hearing what that record sounded like when it was brand new, when the record player was brand new too. :bows:

rayjay
07-28-2007, 07:35 PM
What brand is it? Does it use RCA plugs and a seperate ground wire? I'm sure in Chicago there is a shop that could fix it if somethings broken. Its hard to diagnose a problem this way.

Motorhead350
07-28-2007, 07:44 PM
It's a Herman Kardon or Citation.... I don't know which is the make or model, but it's one of the two. I'm guessing the Herman Kardon is the name of the company. I can't even find a pic of this thing on Google.... thats fine with me. ;)

rayjay
07-28-2007, 07:55 PM
It's a Herman Kardon or Citation.... I don't know which is the make or model, but it's one of the two. I'm guessing the Herman Kardon is the name of the company. I can't even find a pic of this thing on Google.... thats fine with me. ;)

Dom, that would be Harmon Kardon, very respected audio manufacturer. I fact my home amp is a HK. Some of the best in the business. Yours should say made in Canada somewhere on it. Only sell that piece to me. :D

Motorhead350
07-29-2007, 01:23 AM
If you have any vinyls you wanna part with bring them to MV5. I'll bring some cash. :cool:

Mad4Macs
07-29-2007, 03:14 AM
Tried the internet yet?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=3662646&st=turntable&type=product&id=1051384499984

Mike Poore
07-29-2007, 03:54 AM
Harmon Kardon is one of the most respected designer/manufacturers of high end audio equipment in the world. I still have two HK units, a tuner and an AM -FM unit with built in amp. Both of them used all the time. You've got a treasure there kiddo.

Bluerauder
07-29-2007, 03:59 AM
Dom, there should be an adjustment ....

There should also be an adjustment for stylus pressure/weight on the needle that reduces the skipping as the track nears the center of the record.

If that adjustment doesn't work, then duct tape a penny to the stylus arm. ;) That works in really "bad" cases of skip. If the penny doesn't fix it, move up to a nickel .... Probably not good for the life of the record; but if they ain't playing right now ... what the heck. :o

Motorhead350
07-29-2007, 12:59 PM
There should also be an adjustment for stylus pressure/weight on the needle that reduces the skipping as the track nears the center of the record.

If that adjustment doesn't work, then duct tape a penny to the stylus arm. ;) That works in really "bad" cases of skip. If the penny doesn't fix it, move up to a nickel .... Probably not good for the life of the record; but if they ain't playing right now ... what the heck. :o

I'll give that a try and throw on the B-Side version of Blue Jean Bop.... Who Slapped John. Credit to anyone who knows either song without looking it up. ;)

RCSignals
07-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Dom, that would be Harmon Kardon, very respected audio manufacturer. I fact my home amp is a HK. Some of the best in the business. Yours should say made in Canada somewhere on it. Only sell that piece to me. :D

Herman Kardon is the knock off :)

Motorhead350
07-29-2007, 02:23 PM
If the penny doesn't fix it, move up to a nickel .... Probably not good for the life of the record; but if they ain't playing right now ... what the heck. :o

Thank you soooooooo much! The nickle completely fixed the probelm!!!! The penny was fine for most records, but the ones that I have that are really about 50 years old required the nickle. Thank you so much. All of the 45s and 33s work great again!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Mike Poore
07-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Herman Kardon is the knock off :)

:laugh:

HERMAN KARDON IS THE KNOCK OFF .....

Bluerauder
07-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Thank you soooooooo much! The nickle completely fixed the probelm!!!! The penny was fine for most records, but the ones that I have that are really about 50 years old required the nickle. Thank you so much. All of the 45s and 33s work great again!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Sounds like the stylus balance is off or the pressure adjustment is broken. It can probably be repaired. The penny fix dates back to about 1957 for me. Ask me how I know. ;)

Motorhead350
07-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Ask me how I know. ;)

How do you know? :D As far as I am concerned it is fixed. Now getting channel B to work is the next task.

rayjay
07-29-2007, 08:37 PM
How do you know? :D As far as I am concerned it is fixed. Now getting channel B to work is the next task.
The coin fix works, but causes damage due excessive wear in the grooves. This turntable is worth taking to a shop and having fixed or setup correctly. Vintage records are not easy/cheap to replace these days.

Motorhead350
07-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Vintage records are not easy/cheap to replace these days.

Ha! You're telling me. Some of the 45s I bought we like 20$ and one album I found was $125. I don't wanna pay that much for a record again.

rayjay
07-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Ha! You're telling me. Some of the 45s I bought we like 20$ and one album I found was $125. I don't wanna pay that much for a record again.
I won't tell you what hey sold for new. I have a bunch of 33rpm albums, but no 45s. Atleast not records, the other 45s I have plenty of :D

Motorhead350
07-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Well I did get the song Sleepwalk for $3 and found a live Jan and Dean 33 for 49 cents before. The record shows always rip you off. The local stores sometimes have no idea what they are selling. I got Little Richards first album, (1956) mint for $4. It's worth about $200, but I'm gonna enjoy it amd not sell it. :)

rayjay
07-29-2007, 09:57 PM
I have the Stones 1st album, 1st run. No idea whats its worth.

Motorhead350
07-30-2007, 09:36 AM
That album has some Chuck Berry covers on it doesn't it?

Pops
07-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Dom I have your 45 records in the car. Talk to me about your Marvin Gardens problem this wek. We. can help you

Motorhead350
07-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Dom I have your 45 records in the car.

Sweet!!! Thanks John! All the more reason to look foward to this trip. :banana:

ParkRanger
07-30-2007, 11:14 AM
I have the Stones 1st album, 1st run. No idea whats its worth.

Rayjay,

I have a 33 1/3 of "Spin & Marty" from the original Mickey Mouse club. Never opened, inside it's original celephane wrapper. What do you think it's worth?

PR :burnout:

rayjay
07-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Rayjay,

I have a 33 1/3 of "Spin & Marty" from the original Mickey Mouse club. Never opened, inside it's original celephane wrapper. What do you think it's worth?

PR :burnout:

Its probably quite valuable.I think Motorhead350 would no better than I.

RCSignals
07-30-2007, 02:30 PM
So Dom, have you found an in-car record player for your collection?