PDA

View Full Version : 08 Crown Vic Refresh....

wchain
08-02-2007, 08:39 PM
http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/CrownVic600.jpg

Looks like a chop. I wouldn't be suprised that Ford would slap a new Grille on there and call it 'refreshed'...... Waiting for that 3 Valve and 5 speed auto....:alone:

Breadfan
08-02-2007, 08:55 PM
So why exactly can't they make the headlights the same height as the side markers so they don't mismatch?

Raudermaster
08-02-2007, 09:06 PM
LOL. Too much R&D for that Breadfan. Wes showed me this online, I kinda dig it. I would much rather have them focus on the drivetrain though.

whd507
08-02-2007, 09:10 PM
isnt it a moot point if its not offered to the public?

RCSignals
08-02-2007, 09:58 PM
So why exactly can't they make the headlights the same height as the side markers so they don't mismatch?

the headlights have space under them for air flow. especially important on the intake side

1of327
08-03-2007, 07:26 AM
isnt it a moot point if its not offered to the public?

Yeah Really, What the hell is the point.....As I love to point out, another missed oportunity BY FORD
I would really like to see the Interceptor produced, but I know that just a "F"ing pipe dream...
:mad2::mad:

DAMN YOU FORD!!!!

arejayesss
08-03-2007, 07:42 AM

Ford had rec'd a lot of complaints from people saying they were spending too much for headlight fluid. So they have re-engineered them to use less headlight fluid over the life of the car.

Aren Jay
08-03-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm just glad the headlight and side lights are not one unit like in most cars. Way to expensive to fix that way.

larryo340
08-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Ford had rec'd a lot of complaints from people saying they were spending too much for headlight fluid. So they have re-engineered them to use less headlight fluid over the life of the car.
is that halogen fluid or regular??
personally I perfer halogen :D

Larry Staunton
08-03-2007, 09:50 AM
For a vehicle that's not going to be advertised, only available by placing an order through a dealer, why would Ford put a new grille on the 2008 Crown Victoria or any other change. The Grand Marquis is unchanged for 2008.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
08-03-2007, 10:15 AM
why would Ford put a new grille on the 2008 Crown Victoria or any other change

Looks like branding similar to Dodge using the crosshair grille on everything . It's gotta look like the Ford Edge grille!! And the new taurus grille

Crown Vicman
08-03-2007, 10:32 AM
LOL I hope they change something other than the grille.

Bowman9
08-03-2007, 11:15 AM
I thought the vic was going to be fleet use only, so you would have to buy a Marquis.

arejayesss
08-03-2007, 11:56 AM
is that halogen fluid or regular??
personally I perfer halogen :D

Yeah, halogen is the way to go. :)

J-MAN
08-05-2007, 05:10 PM
I just did the seasonal change on headlight fluid as part of preparing for the Fall. Jeez, is the price on the halogen fluid going out of sight or what? Don't care, still won,t buy that cheap foreign stuff. Good ole USA for me!:bows:

larryo340
08-05-2007, 09:36 PM
I just did the seasonal change on headlight fluid as part of preparing for the Fall. Jeez, is the price on the halogen fluid going out of sight or what? Don't care, still won,t buy that cheap foreign stuff. Good ole USA for me!:bows:
Fall ??? it's still summer
Not yet, you should flush it out in October

knine
08-06-2007, 06:21 AM
I took out the spare, it must have had winter air in it because it had flanterblasted all over. Hmmmm, what to do now.

larryo340
08-06-2007, 06:26 AM
I took out the spare, it must have had winter air in it because it had flanterblasted all over. Hmmmm, what to do now.
I would flush all 5 of the tires with summer air for now, and then as it gets cooler flush it again with fall air.

You might want to flush them with helium it'll increase your MPG. ;)

knine
08-06-2007, 04:54 PM
WHAT LUCK !! I found some "born on date 08-10-05" air. If it's not stale, it was canned just at the right time, late season summer with high humidity content. gotta love these great finds.

quota
08-09-2007, 09:49 AM
the headlights have space under them for air flow. especially important on the intake side

On the MGM the headlights are perfectly in line with the sidelights. And it has got its air intake on the same side as on the CV. Maybe we should find another explanation...

JP

TripleTransAm
08-09-2007, 10:01 AM
One the MGM the headlights are perfectly in line with the sidelights. And it has got its air intake on the same side as on the CV. Maybe we should find another explanation...

JP

Anyone believing that explanation should look into something called The Reynolds Number.

RCSignals
08-09-2007, 10:46 AM
One the MGM the headlights are perfectly in line with the sidelights. And it has got its air intake on the same side as on the CV. Maybe we should find another explanation...

JP

Ask Ford for another explanation. That's the one I was given, and if you look at both cars you can see it. I have, I own both.

RCSignals
08-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Anyone believing that explanation should look into something called The Reynolds Number.

Is that meant to be an insult?

Stranger in the Black Sedan
08-09-2007, 10:49 AM

LOL, great response, my hat is off to you sir.

TripleTransAm
08-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Is that meant to be an insult?

Why would it be? I've been told many things by Ford (including how rust stains on my unistone from the drainage holes in the factory exhaust was considered "normal")... doesn't mean I have to believe it. There is plenty of relevant information available describing the behaviour of air around and through that thin strip and beginning with an understanding of the Reynold's Number (and Euler and Froude while we're at it) is a good place to start. :)

Removal of the entire headlight assembly on the drag strip has been tried by several members and I don't know if there was a measured comparison done or not, but the principle is sound. However, relying on that thin strip of open space for breathing is not a claim that holds water. Removal of the plastic cover in the engine bay will show why this is the case.

Edit: I'm also wondering why the Marauder, with its "most free-flowing intake ever", didn't need to rely on this thin gap?

RCSignals
08-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Why would it be? I've been told many things by Ford (including how rust stains on my unistone from the drainage holes in the factory exhaust was considered "normal")... doesn't mean I have to believe it. There is plenty of relevant information available describing the behaviour of air around and through that thin strip and beginning with an understanding of the Reynold's Number (and Euler and Froude while we're at it) is a good place to start. :)

Removal of the entire headlight assembly on the drag strip has been tried by several members and I don't know if there was a measured comparison done or not, but the principle is sound. However, relying on that thin strip of open space for breathing is not a claim that holds water. Removal of the plastic cover in the engine bay will show why this is the case.

Edit: I'm also wondering why the Marauder, with its "most free-flowing intake ever", didn't need to rely on this thin gap?

it's OK Steve all is good, I was just ribbing you. Sorry.

Personally i think the only time that thin strip under the headlights on a CV might have that effect is when the car is sitting idling.

On another note, How have things been with you?
Still enjoying your Daytona?

TripleTransAm
08-09-2007, 11:09 PM
The Daytona's been great. Great fuel mileage, awesome power across the board from off idle to rev limiter, very roomy interior, great carrying capacity. TONS of creature comforts (my particular car is loaded with all options). And the Daytona-specific exhaust (not the same as the RoadAndTrack option) sounds unreal at large throttle openings... idle is fairly healthy sounding as well, but the nature of modern efficient motors is to generally be quiet at idle.

The Autostick is fun especially on twisty roads. However, in D the car is intelligent enough to detect when you're driving more aggressively and will immediately begin to delay upshifts slightly to enhance the excitement level. Likewise during braking, it will actually blip a downshift for you at the right time if safe conditions permit.

The only negative thing I'd have to say about the car is that the ride and handling don't match up as logically as things do on some Marauders (I say some because Tokico QC means getting a good handling Marauder appears to be luck of the draw... my first one was awesome but the second one was a mess, and I only managed to get replacements for the rear shocks because they leaked completely by 16000 miles, and they refused to admit the front ones were crap as well since they didn't actually get to leak). Anyway, the Daytona's ride is somewhat harsh for the level of handling it provides, better than my second MM but falling behind my first MM. I still think my WS6 delivers the best handling to comfort ratio, but with different weights and distribution, it's a tough comparison.

Corrosion-resistance has been OUTSTANDING. During my MM experience I took to documenting the cars' deterioration on a monthly basis with a point and shoot digicam and have continued this practice with my Daytona, and the car still looks as it did when brand new. Everything from the undercarriage to rotors to suspension bits... all brand-new spotless!

The "balance" of the car (when it comes to winter driving) is not as good as on the MM, which I expected given the MM's full-frame RWD nature (and all the experience I had with GM full-frame RWD cars since the early 80s). However, the excellent traction-control / stability system along with good winter tires made winter as easy as it was with the MMs. You can feel the difference in the car's balance by trying donuts in a parking lot on fresh deep slippery snow... perfect circles with the front wheels as the center (showing it's front bias), whereas the MM was always "drifting" more showing it's better front/rear distribution. However, with TC back on, it was glued to the road with no hint of weight bias.

Best of all, no headaches. None.

About that thin strip / CV thing... seriously, pull that plastic panel up front (it's not complicated at all, I think I used to do it in 30 seconds) and take a photo of the region showing the headlight and the intake path and post it and I'll show you why there's no impact on air flow. I'm generally a never-say-never kind of guy so if there's a duct in there, so be it - I'll own up, but I'd be really surprised to see such a thing there.

RCSignals
08-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Great review of the Daytona. Mercedes did bring some good things to Chrysler. It will be interesting to see how things continue with the new owners.

The local Dodge dealer had a couple of the Purple ones in. I think that colour looked better on the original old models, but it does seem popular.

I noticed the very quiet exhaust at idle when one 'idled' past me in a parking lot. So quiet it surprised me.

I'll check the headlight of the CV , but I also doubt there is any 'duct' to the intake tube. There is air space under, but that's about it. It's been a while since I had the headlights out to put in Silverstars.

TripleTransAm
08-10-2007, 12:26 AM
I noticed the very quiet exhaust at idle when one 'idled' past me in a parking lot. So quiet it surprised me.

As you're no doubt aware, the stock Marauder's idle exhaust note is about as quiet as an exhaust can be (when warm - cold, there is a small burble). The stock Daytona is no quieter at idle, and in fact I'd say it is noticeably louder. The Daytona-specific muffler (serving both separate exhaust paths) is nothing more than 2 straight pipes with a small thin ring of holes somewhere in the middle allowing for gasses to expand into the absoption material.

If what you saw was a regular R/T it has a more restrictive 2 bend system where each exhaust flow makes 2 180-degree turns inside the big muffler. Even R/Ts with the optional Road and Track package won't be as loud as Daytonas... that muffler is a straight-through design like the Daytona's, but is perforated all around throughout the whole length, not just a small ring like on the Daytona.

Also be aware that many aftermarket decal packages mimic the Daytona style. Some might even go so far as to actually say "Daytona" on them (some dealers will even put these stickers on regular R/Ts, stopping just short of listing them as Daytonas on the stickers). Each Daytona is numbered with a dash plate visible at the extreme right side of the cabin near a vent, easily viewable from the outside... that's the best way to start when authenticating a Daytona.

jgc61sr2002
08-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Steve - Welcome back.:D

courtmarshall
09-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Watch out especially for the overseas halogen...some of it has been containing lead from China.....:puke: