PDA

View Full Version : oh noes... HALP!

dreydin
08-07-2007, 04:00 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r81/ibossi/ohnoes.jpg

^in the bottom center of the car, you can see that the pulley? with the belt, is slightly bent forward. im pretty much a newb when it comes to car, i know some basics... but what does it mean when anti-freeze is shooting everywhere and my engine sounds HORRIBLE!? i can hear every clack of every piston! :depress:

i took off at a stop light with a jump, nothing close to floored.. and my rear end started bouncing sorta. i get to work and open my door while driving in the parking lot and my engine is LOUD! i get out and see that i have a small trail of anti-freeze. its leaking under my car and splashed inside too. everything is too hot to touch atm, but i did notice that center pulley being bent forward.

any help would be great! im not driving it for sure and im going to tow it tomorrow but i just wanted to know what the cause might be.

1of327
08-07-2007, 04:02 PM
did u blow a hose?

dreydin
08-07-2007, 04:04 PM
ima go check right now but i did not see any hoses when i had first looked. but the engine sounds HORRIBLE!

Blackened300a
08-07-2007, 04:10 PM
I would be willing to bet your water pump shaft snapped or pulled out from the stator and thats what you are hearing.
How many miles do you have on it?

fastblackmerc
08-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Looks like the water pump went bad. Using gloves if necessary, grab the water pump pulley and try to move it in 'n' out, up 'n' down. If it moves it needs to be replaced. Easy job with a minimium amount of tools needed. I'd replace all the hoses and the thermostat too.

dreydin
08-07-2007, 04:27 PM
about 72k miles and yea, the water pump has been leaking on and off very small amounts... but ive kept the fluids up, i dunno why the engine would be screeching so loud =/

CRUZTAKER
08-07-2007, 04:34 PM
A bad water pump sounds similar to a racoon being strangled....

...a...that may not be a familiar sound to many.

How about a small child locked in a closet with a wrench and a pile of conduit?

I'll quit while I'm ahead....:P

RoyLPita
08-07-2007, 04:42 PM
I believe the screeching noise that hear is the impeller (on the inside) is scraping against the waterpump housing.

jgc61sr2002
08-07-2007, 04:58 PM
The waterpump bearing is shot , that's making the noise.
Replace with new pump.

B.C. Bake
08-07-2007, 06:34 PM
I would be willing to bet your water pump shaft snapped or pulled out from the stator and thats what you are hearing.
How many miles do you have on it?

What he said shaft snapped or broke with impeller, strange problem though? But can be fixed! (new water pump install)

larryo340
08-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Most definetly the water pump, hopefully you did not cause permanent damage driving car hot.

No engine light came on?

LCSO34
08-07-2007, 07:49 PM
the water pump has been leaking on and off very small amounts... =/

In the future If you see it leaking, ie the weep holes around the shaft housing, go ahead and replace it.

Marauderjack
08-08-2007, 03:39 AM
Uh.....That photo is a mirror reverse unless my stuff is "bassakwards"???:confused::rolleyes::shake:

Hotrauder
08-08-2007, 03:55 AM
You may want to investigate a more efficient, higher pump volumn and less parasitic drain with Summit Part # EMP-STE50046S. that is a Stewart direct replacement pump and the install with pics has been posted here. Check the search. $149.95 Good luck. Dennis

Blackened300a
08-08-2007, 04:27 AM
You may want to investigate a more efficient, higher pump volumn and less parasitic drain with Summit Part # EMP-STE50046S. that is a Stewart direct replacement pump and the install with pics has been posted here. Check the search. $149.95 Good luck. Dennis

Indeed!
Over 1000 miles since the install its still running strong with zero issues.

EMP/Stewart high performance water pump install - MercuryMarauder.net Forums (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35360&highlight=emp+water+pump)

fastblackmerc
08-08-2007, 04:57 PM

Or you can go with an electric pump for NO parasitic power loss.

Aren Jay
08-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Reminds me of the time the Ford dealership forgot to put the bolt back on the fan and it poped off on my way home. I had a bent fan shaft with the fan imbedded in the radiator. The Dealership denied it being their fault and said I must of done something to it on the drive back after picking my car up. I was furious, they later admitted they did do it and I got a new Rad Fan etc...

I have never ever been back there.

For you - Don't drive it.

Tow it to your local Garage guys and have it fixed properly.