PDA

View Full Version : Just got Art Carr Deep Trans Pan...

vkirkend
08-10-2007, 06:06 AM
This will be my first time opening up this type of transmission. What are the torque specifications on the bolts and is there a set of instructions for the swap with pictures? I'm not sure what to do with the filter I received with the pan (it could just be an extension) and want to make sure that I don't screw something up while in there. :stupid::bigcry:

fastblackmerc
08-10-2007, 06:45 AM
This will be my first time opening up this type of transmission. What are the torque specifications on the bolts and is there a set of instructions for the swap with pictures? I'm not sure what to do with the filter I received with the pan (it could just be an extension) and want to make sure that I don't screw something up while in there. :stupid::bigcry:

Pan bolts are 10 ft/lbs. Loosen all the bolts, let the fluid drain, remove all the bolts, drain remaining fluid, if you see any metal particles in the pan/filter/magnet you most likely be needing repairs, if no metal particles hrow away the plastic "lollipop", clean the gasket surface, install new pan and gasket, torque bolts, refill with fresh Mecron V fluid.

larryo340
08-10-2007, 07:14 AM
it might be a filter or just an extension for proper fluid pick up. Follow the instructions or post pictures up for us to see.
We all will try to help you out.:)

vkirkend
08-10-2007, 08:46 AM

Darrin
08-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Just make sure that you get the old orange o-ring out with the filter. Putting the new filter in with the old o-ring still in there will cause problems.

Darrin

Pat
08-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Your pan may come with an extral hole and plug. Test fit the pan and see what hole the plug needs to fill. The plug should be screwed in from the top or transmission side, not the bottom or street side, because the hole is a taper fit.

vkirkend
08-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks Pat and crew for the info. I would have freaked out when I found the "Lolipop" if not for this forum. I will be sure to check for the orange "O" ring and the extra bolt hole issue. Should there have been any instructions to come with the pan?

Pat
08-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Restate the refill. Don't forget after the new pan is on the transmission will now take two more quarts in the refill.

I know you know but you never know if someone knows what you know. Huh?

vkirkend
08-10-2007, 11:58 AM
From what I've been reading I will need about 6 quarts of fluid to refill, right?

Marauderjack
08-10-2007, 12:15 PM
There is a round magnet in the OEM pan that catches fine particles of ferrous metal so it doesn't continue circulating through the system and accelerate wear!!:bows:

You need to pull it off the old pan and clean it if you plan to reuse it in the new pan!!:beer:

If the new pan is aluminum you may have to find another location for the magnet but I'd be sure to put it back in!!:bows:

Good Luck!!

Marauderjack:burnout:

RF Overlord
08-10-2007, 12:28 PM
vkirkend, the pictures you posted are of the actual filter, it's not an extension.

I second all the advice you've been given ^^^. The only thing I would add is that the OEM pan gasket is supposed to be re-used...it actually says that right on the bottom of the stock pan, so don't throw it away.

vkirkend
08-10-2007, 12:37 PM
RF Overlord, I received a new gasket with the pan. Should I not go with the new one??? and on that magnet where is the suggestion for where it should go. Can it just sit in the botton of the pan? Maybe over the pan drain hole?

sabtaj1
08-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Do not use the new gasket! Throw that corky junk in the garbage! It wont seal like the original. the original is a reusable gaket. USE THE OLD GASKET!!!! No questions asked!

fastblackmerc
08-10-2007, 02:14 PM
There is a round magnet in the OEM pan that catches fine particles of ferrous metal so it doesn't continue circulating through the system and accelerate wear!!:bows:

You need to pull it off the old pan and clean it if you plan to reuse it in the new pan!!:beer:

If the new pan is aluminum you may have to find another location for the magnet but I'd be sure to put it back in!!:bows:

Good Luck!!

Marauderjack:burnout:

You can always epoxy the magnet to the bottom of the pan.

RF Overlord
08-10-2007, 03:42 PM
RF Overlord, I received a new gasket with the pan. Should I not go with the new one???
It wont seal like the original. the original is a reusable gaket. USE THE OLD GASKET
You can always epoxy the magnet to the bottom of the pan.
What they said^^^

Darrin
08-10-2007, 04:47 PM
I would suggest to use RTV for the magnet. It makes it much easier to take it out and clean it later if you need to.

Also, be careful and make sure that the provided bolts are long enough to use the old gasket. If not, go get the longer bolts. As mentioned above, you want to use that old gasket, period.

Darrin