PDA

View Full Version : Those with a data plan with AT&T or T-Mobile

MercOut
08-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Hey,

I currently have Verizon's voice plan and i also want a data plan but Verizon wants $45/month. I've looked at T-mobile's($30) & AT&T's($35) prices and there are only a $5 difference. So the questions are for those who have data plans with these service providers. Im interested in the 8830 or the 8820(has wifi) when it comes out.

What service do you have?
Hows their service overall?
Hows the Speed while connecting to websites?
What phone are you using?
Who do you recommend?
Anything else i need to know?

Thanks,
Malcolm

Ken
08-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Malcolm,

Don't forget: How many IN minutes do you use a month and will you need to get a larger calling plan (more $$$) with the new provider? How is the other providers service in your area? I switched to Verizon almost two years ago, got a share phone on my sister and bro-in law's plan. Service is much better, I've heard complaints about other providers with dropped calls, or no service. These are now our "Home" phones, so we use them much more than our old phones. Since most of my friends and family are on Verizon, I use less minutes total, or call after 9 pm if I just want to chat with someone outside of Verizon.

I can't comment on a Data plan, but would be interested to hear the comments, as that would be great on the road for local info, mapquest, (MVV to upload a burnout or pictures, without having to find an unsecured connection:D), etc. Is there a limit on minutes?

Is your contract over?

Just a few points to ponder.

Ken

BruteForce
08-14-2007, 04:49 PM
I've had both AT&T and T-Mobile and just couldn't pay for the data plans they had available (as in refuse to pay $50-$100 a month). I ended up with the Sprint SERO plan.

What service do you have? Sprint SERO w/free unlimited data & test messages... $30 a month

Hows their service overall? Good so far

Hows the Speed while connecting to websites? Faster than dial-up, slower than DSL. I've also tethered my laptop to the phone which was quite satisfactory.

What phone are you using? Motorola Q

Who do you recommend? That should be evident ;)

PS. PM me for my cell number if you do sign-up with Sprint. I get a kick back if you use it as a referral.

Anything else i need to know? Google "Sprint SERO"

MercOut
08-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Ken,

Im keeping my Verizon voice plan because i share mins. with my father and plus he pays for it. I would only use my data plan while im out and away from the computer.

BruteForce,

Im never heard or Sprint Sero, but for $30 that sounds good. The ONLY thing I'm really worried about is how long it takes to connect to a website and load and of course the price. I don't have the patience of waiting 2-3 mins for it to load, I'm too use to my internet loading in secs. I'll have to check it out

THANKS

MM_BKK
08-14-2007, 10:30 PM
I've had both AT&T and T-Mobile and just couldn't pay for the data plans they had available (as in refuse to pay $50-$100 a month). I ended up with the Sprint SERO plan.

What service do you have? Sprint SERO w/free unlimited data & test messages... $30 a month

Hows their service overall? Good so far

Hows the Speed while connecting to websites? Faster than dial-up, slower than DSL. I've also tethered my laptop to the phone which was quite satisfactory.

What phone are you using? Motorola Q

Who do you recommend? That should be evident ;)

PS. PM me for my cell number if you do sign-up with Sprint. I get a kick back if you use it as a referral.

Anything else i need to know? Google "Sprint SERO"

I take it you work for Sprint? Since you're offering the Sprint Employee Referral Offer?

BruteForce
08-14-2007, 10:54 PM
I take it you work for Sprint? Since you're offering the Sprint Employee Referral Offer?

No sir. I am a self-employed web developer. If you Google "Sprint SERO" look at the 2nd listing titled "Sprint SERO Plan NOW for EVERYONE!!!". Its a really long thread but worth the read if you want to save money AND get the cool plan features. That's how I found it.

MercOut
08-15-2007, 06:35 AM
yea i was wondering how you were signed up for it because you need an employee e-mail address to sign up

BruteForce
08-15-2007, 07:09 AM
yea i was wondering how you were signed up for it because you need an employee e-mail address to sign up

Read the threads on fatwallet about it. They tell you what email address to use as well as a bunch of other tips on getting even more discounts.

Aren Jay
08-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Get this and forget your worries.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

BruteForce
08-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Get this and forget your worries.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

and your money.

ctrcbob
08-15-2007, 05:20 PM
I have AT&T (Cingular) Voice Service. The reason I went with Cingular is because they use the GSM System, which is world wide, other than the USA.
(T-Mobil is the only other National Company that uses the GSM System).
I wanted GSM because I often go to Europe, and my Quad-Band Cingular phone works great over there. Don't have to change to special phones, or change out SIM cards, or anything like that. The other national companies use the TDMA or CDMA Systems which do not work in Europe.

I've had very good Customer Service with Cingular (AT&T). At one time, I was having "Interupted Calls". (Dropped calls that would come back after a few seconds). Complained. They had me go to a Cingular Store (Company store, not an "authorized dealer") and they changed out the SIM cards in both of my phones, no charge.

MercOut
08-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Diablo,

Im not getting the iphone eventhough i have apple everything but i want the blackberry 8820 or the 8830

MM_BKK
08-16-2007, 07:10 PM
I have AT&T (Cingular) Voice Service. The reason I went with Cingular is because they use the GSM System, which is world wide, other than the USA.
(T-Mobil is the only other National Company that uses the GSM System).
I wanted GSM because I often go to Europe, and my Quad-Band Cingular phone works great over there. Don't have to change to special phones, or change out SIM cards, or anything like that. The other national companies use the TDMA or CDMA Systems which do not work in Europe.

I've had very good Customer Service with Cingular (AT&T). At one time, I was having "Interupted Calls". (Dropped calls that would come back after a few seconds). Complained. They had me go to a Cingular Store (Company store, not an "authorized dealer") and they changed out the SIM cards in both of my phones, no charge.

Just curious, what does your carrier charge for international roam? I do a lot of travel to Asia and they're also big with GSM system and might be interested in switching over to GSM from my CDMA carrier.