PDA

View Full Version : I need your legal help here

Motorhead350
08-15-2007, 10:49 AM
I want to use an audio sample from a documentry movie in the begining of one of my songs. The documentry is a DVD of Chuck Berry and Keith Richards is saying a few words about Chuck and I would like to use that. I just want the audio and have no interest in the visual. For music I know I would have to contact the publisher, but since this is a DVD I don't know if I contact the publisher or the owner of the copyright. Any idea? :confused:

Breadfan
08-15-2007, 11:00 AM
I would start with the publisher of the DVD, they own the rights to the content held within. If this is a quote given by another person, NOT buy the creator of the DVD, then you may need to go to that source for permission. For instance, if it's something Chuck Berry said in an interview years ago, the publisher of the DVD also had to get permission to use it, so, you'd have to go to the true source.

Either way the DVD publisher is a good start, if receptive, they will either consider the request or at least help direct you to the correct person.

I suspect it will be difficult to end up with written permission, most likely you'll have a bit of a run-around trying to find the "right person" and when you do they may make it difficult or seek fees for the usage.

Hopefully being a documentary though they will see the cultural significance of the media and allow it out in a more "free" manner. Just be hope it wasn't put out by "Lucasfilms" or is a StarWars quote, you'd need some deep pockets. :)