PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Sounds..... Smoke Detectors Go Off

KillJoy
08-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Okay folks....this has happened twice in the last week.

We have had 2 really bad storm pass through, and each had once particularly loud thunderclap. The first storm caused the smoke alarms to go off (all 3 are powered through the home's power), and the garage door went up, and tripped it's breaker.

The second just set off the detectors.

This is, literally, when the thunder bumps.....

Anyone got any ideas????

KillJoy

mpearce
08-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Move out of the trailer..... :D

KillJoy
08-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Move out of the trailer..... :D

Noting added +1!

KillJoy

Blackened300a
08-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Sounds like lightning is striking too close to your home and its creating a surge. Is it just your place or are your neighbors having the same problem?

KillJoy
08-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Sounds like lightning is striking too close to your home and its creating a surge. Is it just your place or are your neighbors having the same problem?

Garage was neighbors too.

Detectors....not sure.

This was my thought as well.....and Google proved usless for MANY searches...

KillJoy

offroadkarter
08-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Haunted :D

I vote on power surge, it could be striking high voltage somewhere

larryo340
08-20-2007, 06:37 PM
^^^^^^^^+2 on power spike

Aren Jay
08-20-2007, 07:00 PM
My townhouse has been hit by lightning twice and very close by a third time. No alarms have ever gone off, smoke, house or carbon monooxide.

I did have a power surge at a different time, my Home Theatre receiver clicked on switch to a blank FM station and pumped out static at full volumne, that was exciting. But never anything like what you described.

Could be a power surge issue, you might want to put a line conditioner on at your junction box.

Thunder is very loud when your house gets hit. Loudest noise I have ever heard, so loud it was completely silent. Big white flash and boo-------M! amazing experience. The fire going down the drainpipes and fire ball ten feet outside my window was even more impressive. Second time I had my window closed and it just shook the house and made a huge boom. Third time it split the neighbours tree in half, tree is about 15 feet from my townhouse. That also made a big boom.

It sure is good to have a concrete roof.

arejayesss
08-21-2007, 03:10 AM
I say GREMLINS!!!!

martyo
08-21-2007, 05:54 AM
It is the ionized air from the ligtning strike that is setting off the detector.