PDA

View Full Version : Need some Vista help

CRUZTAKER
08-22-2007, 03:01 PM
I have a new laptop with Vista. The wireless connection is different than that of my XP machines.

When I open up the the wireless connection window, and start RADAR...it shows several potential connections. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to actually choose one.

I click on any of the dots, which display the connection name, but nothing ever happens. Right click doesn't work either.

WTF?

n00bkiller944
08-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Go to "manage wireless connections" and you will get a list of possibe connections and then just double click on the one you want and it will connect you to it

CRUZTAKER
08-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Bear with me...but being this my first time on vista...where exactly does one find this " MANAGE WIRELESS CONNECTIONS" you speak of ?

n00bkiller944
08-22-2007, 04:59 PM
No problem here's a step by step for you...

1) Click Start

2) Go to Control Panel

3) Double Click 'network and Internet' in the control panel

4) Once in 'Network and Internet' double click network and sharing center

5) In the Network and sharing center on the left side under tasks you will see Connect to a Network and double click it

6) Find your desired wireless network and highlight it by clicking it once then press connect

Now your on the net!

CRUZTAKER
08-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Booya! :up:

n00bkiller944
08-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Did it work man?!?!?!?

KillJoy
08-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Booya! :up:

Did it work man?!?!?!?

THAT would be a Yes....in Cruztaker terms :D

KillJoy

offroadkarter
08-22-2007, 06:29 PM
I have a new laptop with Vista. The wireless connection is different than that of my XP machines.

When I open up the the wireless connection window, and start RADAR...it shows several potential connections. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to actually choose one.

I click on any of the dots, which display the connection name, but nothing ever happens. Right click doesn't work either.

WTF?

Heres a great tip

DOWNGRADE! ;)

Vista has so many bugs that microsoft doesnt even fully support it yet. :eek:

ctrlraven
08-22-2007, 06:42 PM
I am right there with you man, I just bought a new computer this past Sunday and it has Vista on it. I am barely making my way through everything lol.

n00bkiller944
08-22-2007, 07:43 PM
^^^I can help you put with anything u need man im pretty good with this stuff not very but pretty

offroadkarter
08-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Downgrade! Vista sucks! You'd have a super fast Xp computer over a crashing unsupported vista computer.

I like my XP dell and I R not changing it. Vista just doesn't impress me with its flashiness because the first time it crashes or i cant get updates who do i turn to. Not Microsoft, they're to busy on XP still.

Plus, downgrading your vista is like upgrading your car, think of it that way, itl be faster and more reliable :D

larryo340
08-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Downgrade! Vista sucks! You'd have a super fast Xp computer over a crashing unsupported vista computer.

I like my XP dell and I R not changing it. Vista just doesn't impress me with its flashiness because the first time it crashes or i cant get updates who do i turn to. Not Microsoft, they're to busy on XP still.

Plus, downgrading your vista is like upgrading your car, think of it that way, itl be faster and more reliable :D
Yep my new computer has Vista, and I hate it. My friend who is a computer inhouse tech told me I should go back to XP.

ChiTownMaraud3r
08-22-2007, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't downgrade if you have vista fine up and running, especially since microsoft is pushing for everything to back up vista. Just give it up, its the future, it will become the new xp sooner or later. Just don't buy a garbage computer that can barely run it..

Ken
08-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Heres a great tip

DOWNGRADE! ;)

Vista has so many bugs that microsoft doesnt even fully support it yet. :eek:Better tip.

BUY A COMPUTER LARGE ENOUGH TO HANDLE VISTA!

Don't just upgrade what you have to Vista. 1 Gb ram minimum to run Vista, 2Gb better. I've been running Vista on a new Toshiba laptop w/ 2 Gb ram since April. Not a problem.

Ken

n00bkiller944
08-22-2007, 10:28 PM
^^Same here im running it on my HP laptop with 2 gigs of ram and its working great i like it better than XP

offroadkarter
08-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Better tip.

Don't just upgrade what you have to Vista. 1 Gb ram minimum to run Vista, 2Gb better. I've been running Vista on a new Toshiba laptop w/ 2 Gb ram since April. Not a problem.

Ken

I dont use vista i proudly use XP because right now vista sucks nuts. When they get everything fixed up ill get a free copy :D

larryo340
08-23-2007, 05:43 AM
^^ I gotcha
my computer is an hp desktop with 2gb ram, and core 2 duo processor. I know you can make vista look like XP so maybe I'll do that.

Ken
08-23-2007, 06:24 AM
I dont use vista i proudly use XP because right now vista sucks nuts. When they get everything fixed up ill get a free copy :DBy the way, what are these problems with Vista that you speak of?

Ken

ckadiddle
08-23-2007, 06:40 AM
I recently bought a new desktop machine that came with Vista. Have been researching a bug that causes large file transfers to slow and then stop. I had downloaded wedding and honeymoon pics to the new desktop and was trying to copy about three gig across the network to hard disk in my XP machine. Hardwired connection through router. Got a couple things to try of the web, havent had a chance to work on it yet though. I was trying to avoid using flash drive or dvd burner...I am lazy. :)

magindat
08-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Better tip.

Ken

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="background-image: url(images/misc/quotes/quot-left-bg.gif);" width="10">
</td> <td class="smallfont" bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="100%"> "640K ought to be enough for anyone." - Bill Gates</td></tr></tbody></table>
Uh-huh. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

CRUZTAKER
08-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Better tip.

It's a new Toshiba Sattelite with 2gb ram, and a duo core Athalon.

The only issues so far are frequent IE-7 crashes, particularly when streaming video, and gawd awfull....I MEAN GAWD-DAMN awfull bootup and shut down times. We're talking 2-4 minutes.

I hate Vista so far.

n00bkiller944
08-23-2007, 05:21 PM
^^^Use mozilla firefox for your internt IE is so unsafe and about 100 times more likely to get a virus through IE than you are through firefox

Marauderjack
08-24-2007, 03:59 AM
^^^^+100^^^^ for FIREFOX!!!!:beer::bows::D