PDA

View Full Version : Downshifting In The Rain, Without Traction-control!

WJSOLOMON
07-10-2002, 09:01 PM
Took Delivery in a Severe Downpour yesterday, and found that the Console-Mounted Shift Control worked like "magic" from OD down to 3rd, and on down into 2nd Gear........but is pretty RISKY on Rain-Slick Roads going on down from 2nd into 1st!

Rear End SHOT Sideways about Three-Four Feet!

Now my Charcoal-Gray Interior Driver's Seat Panel has taken on a darker "Earth-Tone".........

These Puppies need Traction-Lock as Standard Equipment, like Right Now!

Million Dollar Question: What happens after I loose the Second Tire.........am I supposed to Park this New Car until MERCURY can pull a Tire of two off of the Production Line, and insist that their Dealers stock a few in Inventory for we Unsuspecting and Trusting New Owners?

:eek: :confused: :( :cool:

Jim
07-11-2002, 03:44 AM
Mine doesn't downshift quite like that, under normal circumstances. Matter of fact, it doesn't do that AT ALL. Stable as a rock in the rain, and otherwise.

What it DID start doing was downshifting to 2nd gear, at most any speed, with ANY input from the throttle. So, a tiny throttle input at 85 MPH sent the trans to 2nd gear, for a solid 5300 RPMs. Then to 3rd, then 4th, then 2nd -3rd, etc. (see video on page linked in .sig)

So, it's broken, and being fixed (day 4 now.)

You might want to query your service department, and see if yours is really 'normal,' 'broken,' or 'really broken.'

-Jim

Jim
07-11-2002, 03:47 AM
Just re-read your post... Am I to understand that you *manually* downshifted, in the rain? Or were you merely commenting on the console shifter, AND the automatic downshifts upon application of the throttle?

-Jim

tetsu
07-11-2002, 08:50 AM
WJS,

Your local tire peeps should be able to get you rubber if you lose one, but you might have to wait. My guys says it'll be 24-48 hours to get one from his warehouse.

No one is gonna stock these tires as they are Marauder specific.

Johnny

Jim
07-11-2002, 08:55 AM
Way back when, in the days of my early-production Gen 1 Lighting, the only tire available was a Firestone Firehawk, in 275/70 17. They were available 'next day' when I needed 2 shortly after the purchase of my truck (Torque + grins = rubber dust) That tire was specifically designed/built for the Lightning...

Then, when I had an early production Gen II Lightning, the only tire available was the Goodyear F1, in 295/45 18. Same deal. Specific tire, not cheap, and not 'in stock', but certainly available snappily when needed...

Experience tells me it'll be 6 months or so, then you'll start seein' 'em in the TireRack ads..

-Jim

WJSOLOMON
07-12-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Jim: "Just re-read your post... Am I to understand that you *manually* downshifted, in the rain? Or were you merely commenting on the console shifter, AND the automatic downshifts upon application of the throttle?"

Jim - I Manually Downshifted in the rain, coming in to an Intersection Stop Sign at 20 - 25 MPH, from 2nd into 1st Twice - my First and Last Time!

"DON'T GO THERE!"

:eek: :eek: :( :cool: