PDA

View Full Version : For dom

RCSignals
08-28-2007, 09:07 PM
These guys should qualify for you as early Rock and Roll. Would they qualify as Rock-a-billy?

http://www.billhaley.com/

Motorhead350
08-28-2007, 09:29 PM
WOW I didn't know they were still playing shows let alone still alive! :eek: Let me get something straight with this band though. Rock Around The Clock is not their song. They covered it in 1954 and made it one of the most popular Rock N' Roll songs to date, when really it was done by a group of black people back in 1951 of a name I cannot put my finger on. The group was originally a Country group and when you mix Country with Blues (to make things short) BOOM you have Rock N' Roll. To me they were one of the first groups to steal music from black people and sell it to white people.:flamer: I know that may sound mean, but from what I read and heard from my history of Rock N' Roll this was the group. Shake Ratte and Roll wasn't their song either. Some of their music was Rockabilly, but not Rock Around The Clock. I have another version of that song, by Chubby Checker which I assume probably sounds closer to the original version. The original I haven't heard yet.

Now when the group didn't wanna work with Bill they were known as The Kingsmen. Not the same Kingsmen that covered Richard Berry (not Chuck Berry) with their drunkin' version/best known version of Louie Louie that was recorded for $45 with the lead vocal mic ten feet away.

Eventhough I think the Commits were pretty nasty for covering songs and getting all the credit and success I would still like to see them live, but probably only once. Thank you Duncan. :cool:

RCSignals
08-28-2007, 09:40 PM
I don't know that they still perform, Bill Haley was born in 1925 according to that site.

Motorhead350
08-28-2007, 09:44 PM
That site had a list of 2007 Europe tour dates didn't it?

RCSignals
08-28-2007, 10:01 PM
It may have....

In the '60s and early '70s they used to perform on the car show circuit. I did see them when I was a kid, it was the first time I'd ever seen a Bass player climb his upright Bass while playing it, and also play it like it shows in one of the pictures on the site.

They seem to have been or are quite popular in Britain and Europe.

Motorhead350
08-28-2007, 11:03 PM
They seem to have been or are quite popular in Britain and Europe.

American bands having more success overseas is a pretty common thing. If you like documentrys look into End Of The Century: The Story of The Ramones.

I think it's a lot easier to get on the radio in Europe, their more openminded and overall bigger music fans than most Americans.

arejayesss
08-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Here is some more info on Bill Haley, he did die, back in 1981

http://www.rockhall.com/inductee/bill-haley

originally recorded in 1952 by Sunny Dae and His Knights

Motorhead350
08-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Then the band should be going by the name The Kingsmen. Thanks for the info and now I have to find a recording of the original song.

arejayesss
08-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Original recording, short but sweet

http://rcs.law.emory.edu/rcs/ss/00/ss985.mp3

Motorhead350
08-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Wow thanks that was really cool. Now I need to find a version all the way though.... maybe on vinyl.... mmmmmm goody. :)