PDA

View Full Version : Lidio tune good for .35 in 1/4 mile?

GreekGod
08-29-2007, 09:17 PM
John Kuhn & I met @ Knoll Gas Motorsports Park for the Wednesday night test & tune. It was a humid 83 degrees at 6pm, and about 75 degrees and probably 70% humidity @ 8:30 when we quit for the night.

John was turning about a best of 13.66, and I did my best of 8 runs, 15.25 @ 92 mph. The track was sticky, and I launched on the last yellow, with 28 lbs of air in the stock/OEM tires. I did not power brake, I just flashed the converter. My 60' times were all around 2.3 seconds.

I removed the left headlight for my best & last 4 runs. It seems my only other modification, a Lidio tune was good for about .35 in the 1/4 mile.

I wonder if I could go under 15 seconds with some cooler and dryer weather?

Bradley G
08-29-2007, 09:41 PM
very possible. good gains for a tune!

Ken
08-30-2007, 03:15 AM
John Kuhn & I met @ Knoll Gas Motorsports Park for the Wednesday night test & tune. It was a humid 83 degrees at 6pm, and about 75 degrees and probably 70% humidity @ 8:30 when we quit for the night.

John was turning about a best of 13.66, and I did my best of 8 runs, 15.25 @ 92 mph. The track was sticky, and I launched on the last yellow, with 28 lbs of air in the stock/OEM tires. I did not power brake, I just flashed the converter. My 60' times were all around 2.3 seconds.

I removed the right headlight for my best & last 4 runs. It seems my only other modification, a Lidio tune was good for about .35 in the 1/4 mile.

Right headlight?

Ken

Bluerauder
08-30-2007, 04:01 AM
Right headlight?

Ken
Yeah, when you are standing in front of the car. ;) That's why most people say "Driver's side" headlight.

Pops
08-30-2007, 05:09 AM
He took out the left head lamp. The air was not good last night so I think there was quite a bit left on the table with our cars. We had a lot of fun and a plenty of guys were checking our cars out. I raced a 4 valve Mustang and dusted him. His buddy who also had a Mustang drove my car for the last pass of the night and ran a 13.74 and had a big grin when he came back. He said it was pretty cool going that fast in a big car.

fastcar
08-30-2007, 05:53 AM

I removed the right headlight for my best & last 4 runs. It seems my only other modification, a Lidio tune was good for about .35 in the 1/4 mile.

I'm confused. Your best was 15.25 and you shaved .35 off that with a tune, and are wondering if you could have made the 14s with better weather? I'm not the best with math, but maybe someone could explain this to me???

fastcar:burnout:

P.S. use this link to answer your question: http://www.modulardepot.com/density.php
I guarantee you that your corrected times are in the 14s, arimethic questions aside;)

ckadiddle
08-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Yes, you can IMHO. I ran best of 15.1 at MVIV with only DR tune, magnaflows, PHP airbox. That was my first time drag racing, and I was napping at every light.

Ken
08-30-2007, 07:12 AM
Yeah, when you are standing in front of the car. ;) That's why most people say "Driver's side" headlight.OK, gotcha.

Ken

GreekGod
08-30-2007, 07:44 AM
My previous best time was on a hot summer day two years ago, 15.742 @ 92.02, with a 2.394 60'. Until yesterday, I had the 2nd worst time-slip posted here.

I will correct my prior post, it was my left headlight I removed. My mind was clouded when I posted after midnight ;).

KillJoy
08-30-2007, 08:00 AM
IMO, you cannot account any time for any mod, unless you run back to back, making the change in between.

Weather , track prep, tire pressure, tread depth...YOU are all different between the two.

With that being said... HELL YEAH!!! Get some cooler weather and you should be there!!!

:up:

KillJoy

sailsmen
08-30-2007, 10:29 AM
What Kill joy said. Plus you have to have a similar launch. I note the o/s temp guage for each run.

Comparing to a run years ago is for the most part useless.

Having said that I am certain Lidio's tune inproves your 1/4 run.

Sleeping at the lite does not affect your ET, unless you are so late the clock times out and does not record your run. The clock does not start until u break the beam.

RaceLegend79
08-30-2007, 10:55 AM
OK guys I know cooler air makes a difference in times but I dont understand this whole elevation thing. It seems to me that in higher alt. that the air is cooler which is why I can probably only barely break 15s (14.7, I did have a faster time but I red lighted so I didnt get the official time but the guy I ran with ran 14.5 and I barely red lighted) right now and run so great in cooler air. What baffles me is that I see all the things that others have done and are just at 15 or just below. How is it that with no tune, cai, and 4.10s my car is so close to others that have most or all of these. Just for refrence I have drop K&N and exauhst via 2 high flow cats and a pair of 40 series Flows. If anyone has info please let me know. Is it because some of our cars are just faster than others or different driving habbits or mileage? Sorry for so much I really am fascinated and would like to know. Thanks all.

ctrlraven
08-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Has to be the weather. My time out in mine with K&N, DR tune, and flowmaster super 40's I ran a 14.7.

My fastest has been 14.25 with a JLT intake, GM-cop connectors, 2nd set of cats removed, flowmaster super 40's, DR tune and 255/55 kdw2 rear tires at 25psi. Out of four runs I was 14.25 to 14.27 with a 2.09-2.15 60ft but that was also in 55-60 degree weather. At MMV with all my current mods I could only best a 14.59 with a retune for the 3500 stall and as it got hotter my numbers were lacking very much all the way up to 14.81.

Pops
08-30-2007, 01:28 PM
The amount of humidity has a major effect on these cars. It was very high at the track last night. Water does not burn very good so when the humidity is down you get less water forced into the cylinders and it makes more power. My car was .15 of a second slower at the track as it was at MMV. Here in Michigan the best times will be in late Sept. and October when the air is crisp and the humidity is down. Dales car will go faster then. We are looking forward to the fall weather. The guys down south have a bigger problem with this than we do.

Blackened300a
08-30-2007, 01:36 PM
I did not power brake, I just flashed the converter. My 60' times were all around 2.3 seconds.

This starts the debate of Flashing the convertor as opposed to spooling it up.

On the street, if I just slam the pedal down I get a slight bog and then it takes off, If I spool up the convertor, I launch a hell of a lot harder (traction permiting) and the car feels faster overall.
Everytime I took my car to the track, I spooled up the convertor.

larryo340
08-30-2007, 01:39 PM
This starts the debate of Flashing the convertor as opposed to spooling it up.

On the street, if I just slam the pedal down I get a slight bog and then it takes off, If I spool up the convertor, I launch a hell of a lot harder (traction permiting) and the car feels faster overall.
Everytime I took my car to the track, I spooled up the convertor.
Did you hold the converter at the stall speed?

This may work for you. If you keep revs 500-1,000 RPM below stall speed and let it flash up, it will hit harder than leaving from idle speed.

Pops
08-30-2007, 01:47 PM
larryo340 you got it right. It took a lot of convincing as I am old school but it hooks up better and launches harder if you let the converter do its work by flashing. I also get way less tire spin which effects ET. But I do miss the Joh Force smoke shows!

Blackened300a
08-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Did you hold the converter at the stall speed?

This may work for you. If you keep revs 500-1,000 RPM below stall speed and let it flash up, it will hit harder than leaving from idle speed.

I stall it up to just before the tire break which is about 2700 RPM's

It took a lot of convincing as I am old school but it hooks up better and launches harder if you let the converter do its work by flashing. I also get way less tire spin which effects ET. But I do miss the Joh Force smoke shows!

Now I have to attempt this at about 1200 RPM's

Pops
08-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Paul I am going from a dead idle or about 700 rpms. It does launch harder than brake torquing it. Less brake stress on it also, but on the other parts I dont know. Let us know how it works out for you. It took a lot of runs to get used to doing it this way. Watch your 60 foot times.

fastcar
08-30-2007, 09:15 PM
I stall it up to just before the tire break which is about 2700 RPM's

I can't believe you launch like that. I would completely annihilate my tires if I tried that trick. In fact, at 2700 RPM in a brake stand, they would already be spinning!

I find the best 60 ft times by loading the converter ever so slightly (800 RPM for me, with 28-38 PSI in stock tires) and then simultaneously letting off the brake, and flooring it.

Using this technique, and a little luck, I get JUST A SQUEEL. This gives me the best times. Anything more than a squeek, and I lose precious time. I can feel the car actually lose bite, when I spin, even a little.

Blackened300a
08-31-2007, 03:10 AM
I can't believe you launch like that. I would completely annihilate my tires if I tried that trick. In fact, at 2700 RPM in a brake stand, they would already be spinning!

I have only been able to pull this off at a sticky track in hot and humid weather. On the street it would be a wasted run, I would spin all the way through second then when it shifts it would bog me down and then take off again.

sailsmen
08-31-2007, 04:14 AM
IT will fry my trans to launch like that.

I preload the suspension by launching around~1,200 rpm.

mpearce
08-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Bone stock my car's best time on a cool night was 15.19 @ 93.xx

Lidio's tune and 4.10's only, best time on a cool morning was 14.23 @ 97.xx

GreekGod
08-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Bone stock my car's best time on a cool night was 15.19 @ 93.xx

Lidio's tune and 4.10's only, best time on a cool morning was 14.23 @ 97.xx

It seems I recall others have said the Lidio tune took about .3 seconds off their 1/4 mile time. With Lidio's claim of 20 hp peak, higher shift point, etc, it is confirmed by our experiences.

My shift to third occurs so close to the end of the 1/4 mile, I can easily understand how the tune & 4.10 gears can get us in the low 14's.

If you ever take out the left headlight, you will see how it blocks air intake. A better cold air intake (CAI) might go below the bumper with a scoop. A hood/visor on top of the headlight opening might help break-up any airstream boundary layer that limits ram-air effect with a removed headlight. I think I'll work on that type of "accessory" for my next test & tune.

Now lets see, I need a black hood off a railroad semaphore light...

kirk
08-31-2007, 02:43 PM
My car is bone stock except for Lidio's tune and a K&N filter. Two years ago at Milan I ran several passes in several configurations to compare. It ran consistant 15.70s stock, and consistant 15.20s with the tune. Replacing the K&N with a stock filter made no difference, with or without the tune.

fastcar
09-01-2007, 05:26 PM
My car is bone stock except for Lidio's tune and a K&N filter. Two years ago at Milan I ran several passes in several configurations to compare. It ran consistant 15.70s stock, and consistant 15.20s with the tune. Replacing the K&N with a stock filter made no difference, with or without the tune.

Interesting test. But for those that are new, we should emphasize the distinction between a K&N filter (for the factory snorkel) and a complete K&N Cold Air Kit, which replaces the 'J tube', with a smooth tube and conical filter along with shield. This system is documented to improve throttle response and HP.

GreekGod
09-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Interesting test. But for those that are new, we should emphasize the distinction between a K&N filter (for the factory snorkel) and a complete K&N Cold Air Kit, which replaces the 'J tube', with a smooth tube and conical filter along with shield. This system is documented to improve throttle response and HP.fastcar

Reinhart reports a 12rwhp increase with his PHP CAI