PDA

View Full Version : Keys??

RCSignals
07-17-2003, 10:33 PM
Too bad we don't know anyone who could use these as spare keys (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40016&item=2424125534)

Fancy stuff!

martyo
07-18-2003, 03:35 AM
No joke, I paid $130.00, at the dealer, to buy, and have programmed, two new keys. Ouch!!

Ross
07-18-2003, 08:10 AM
Keys programmed? Is there a chip in the key or something? Darn, I'm behind the times!

SheboyganGuy
07-18-2003, 08:38 AM
I made the dealer throw in an extra key, knowing it would be $75 a pop down the line if I ever needed one... It's a ripoff, though, the actual key costs about $20, and then they hit you with a big fee for "programming." And you can do that yourself if you follow the instructions in the manual...

jrzygrl
07-18-2003, 08:45 AM
Locked the key in the F-150 once, lost the spare. Police came and got the door open for me thankfully, went to the dealership and tried to get one made, same thing $75.00..I said no way. He then offered to make me a "just door key" won't start the vehicle that I keep in my wallet in case I ever do it again. $20.00 for that one...they saw this one coming through the door.

Dr Caleb
07-18-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Ross
Keys programmed? Is there a chip in the key or something? Darn, I'm behind the times!

Yes. There is a small Radio Frequency chip in the key, similar to 'speed passes' for gas stations. Even if you cut a key to be exactally the same as the key for your car, it will not work. You have to tell the security system to accept the new key. You must also have TWO working keys to do this yourself. My car came with two keys (Valet and regular) so if you lose a key, you're SOL. The programming sequence is in the manual - it's kinda long.

GM keys will not work - they do not contain the correct chip or so I'm told. I had to get my dealer to order MM keys special. They didn't know the keys were different ethier.

Ross
07-18-2003, 11:38 AM
This is sounding worse and worse all the time. If the key has to be cut correctly AND programmed correctly, that means the electrical system has to be working on the car to recognize the chip. Suppose I go out to my car, and the battery has run down? I can't use my remote to open the car (electric), I can't use the keypad on the door to open the car (electric), and I can't even use my key to open the door (electric)! How do I get the door open in order to open the hood to jump my car or replace the battery? Crow bar? Sledge hammer?

On another note, I did get 2 keys plus the valet key with my car.
On still another note, at least you can't lock yourself out of this car because you can get in with the keypad. Unless, of course, in case of dead battery as above.

MAD-3R
07-18-2003, 11:43 AM
The door still works on a mechanical lock as well as the electronic. My car sat with no battery, and I was able to unlock the door as needed.

TripleTransAm
07-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Dr Caleb
My car came with two keys (Valet and regular) so if you lose a key, you're SOL.

Question: did you get an aftermarket remote start system with your MM at the time of purchase?

Dr Caleb
07-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by TripleTransAm
Question: did you get an aftermarket remote start system with your MM at the time of purchase?

No sir. Since I wasn't planning on winter driving it, I felt there was no point. I see where you are going with this...did you get 3 keys?

TripleTransAm
07-18-2003, 12:10 PM
No sir. Since I wasn't planning on winter driving it, I felt there was no point. I see where you are going with this...did you get 3 keys?

:D

I see we're on the same wavelength!

Yes, I have 3 keys... 2 regular and 1 valet. (also, I am under the impression that all three are able to start the car, except the valet key does not have access to the trunk lock).

For those wondering where we're going with this: some aftermarket remote starters will require one key to be permanently mounted within the unit itself, hidden somewhere within the car, OR they defeat the Securi-Lock.

gja
07-18-2003, 12:12 PM
I was given 3 keys, 2 full and 1 valet. The valet is a dumb thing as the only thing it won't do is open the trunk or glovebox (big deal). Now, it would have been nice if they did things like the Corvettes, where the valet key is a slo-mo/lo-perf program as well as locking them out of compartments and the trunk.

Dr Caleb
07-18-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by gja
Now, it would have been nice if they did things like the Corvettes, where the valet key is a slo-mo/lo-perf program as well as locking them out of compartments and the trunk.

I believe it does reduce the performance of the machine. I haven't tried it though...

jgc61sr2002
07-18-2003, 04:14 PM
Yes. There is a small Radio Frequency chip in the key, similar to 'speed passes' for gas stations. Even if you cut a key to be exactally the same as the key for your car, it will not work. You have to tell the security system to accept the new key. You must also have TWO working keys to do this yourself. My car came with two keys (Valet and regular) so if you lose a key, you're SOL. The programming sequence is in the manual - it's kinda long.

GM keys will not work - they do not contain the correct chip or so I'm told. I had to get my dealer to order MM keys special. They didn't know the keys were different ethier. Dr. Your car should have come with three keys . Two regular and one valet.:(

RCSignals
07-18-2003, 05:54 PM
Yup, your car should have come with three keys. two "regular" and one valet.
Also, the 2003 GM keys do work, as well as the 2003 Ford keys. The PATS keys from previous years with the offset keyring hole won't work.

CRUZTAKER
07-18-2003, 06:00 PM
You can go elsewhere for replacement programmed keys....I can get them for about $35 from an associate of DR.

Murader03
07-19-2003, 05:40 AM

GM keys will not work - they do not contain the correct chip or so I'm told. I had to get my dealer to order MM keys special. They didn't know the keys were different ethier. [/B]

Dr. Not so! I had my local Ford Dearler cut me a key, has Ford logo, and then I propgrammed it. Needed a spare key! The key was for a CV and it works fine.