PDA

View Full Version : Teach me the ways of the TV....purchase help needed

MinnesotaMuscle
09-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Ok guys, Looking to buy a TV, and man are they confusing. So what do you guys have, and what’s your opinion on it? Plasma? HD? Rear/Front projection? LCD? Being I'm going for a 42" or 50", I don't think a projection TV will work. I also thought there was a new style out in resent years that was known for not lasting long....I know the Plasma's haven't been out to long, any help would be great......

FordNut
09-04-2007, 03:09 PM
I went with LCD.

stillprint
09-04-2007, 03:37 PM
LCD would be the best choice IMO

ctrlraven
09-04-2007, 04:11 PM
I used to work at a high end electronics store so I might be able to help you out. First a few questions....

How far will you be sitting away from the TV?
Will others and yourself usually be looking at the TV dead on or at an angle?
Do you current have digital cable or satellite with a regular or HD (high def) signal?
What will be watched more, TV programs, dvd movies or a mix of both?
Currently do you have a standard dvd player, Blu-ray or HD dvd player?

MinnesotaMuscle
09-04-2007, 04:12 PM
How long have you had them?

MinnesotaMuscle
09-04-2007, 04:18 PM
I used to work at a high end electronics store so I might be able to help you out. First a few questions....

How far will you be sitting away from the TV?
Will others and yourself usually be looking at the TV dead on or at an angle?
Do you current have digital cable or satellite with a regular or HD (high def) signal?
What will be watched more, TV programs, dvd movies or a mix of both?
Currently do you have a standard dvd player, Blu-ray or HD dvd player?

OK,

Will be siting 10-25' away.

Mostly head on, but some at a 45 degree angle.

Currently we have local channels, about to hook up to Satellite, probably not the HD, unless its cheap and it realy does make a diffrence...?.....

Mix of both TV and DVD's, maybe 75/25 split

We have a standard DVD player, but hope to upgrade to a Sound/DVD/VCR system in the next year or two at most.

fastblackmerc
09-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Ok guys, Looking to buy a TV, and man are they confusing. So what do you guys have, and what’s your opinion on it? Plasma? HD? Rear/Front projection? LCD? Being I'm going for a 42" or 50", I don't think a projection TV will work. I also thought there was a new style out in resent years that was known for not lasting long....I know the Plasma's haven't been out to long, any help would be great......

Send me a PM with an email address and I'l send you a pdf that explains each technology and the pros & cons of each.

MinnesotaMuscle
09-04-2007, 04:26 PM
coming at ya..............:toss:

offroadkarter
09-04-2007, 05:04 PM
We have a 42" panasonic plasma that was top of the line like 10 months ago

HDMI "highest definition" and of course hi def Wii!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/offroadkarter/PB190001.jpg

larryo340
09-04-2007, 05:25 PM
I have a 50" Sony LCD projection for a year and a half, I like it, but probably would not buy projection again. They make the LCD flats bigger now.
If you are sitting 10' to 25' away you need bigger than 50". A buddy of mine has a 50" Pioneer Plasma looks great, but small sitting about 13'. I would say at least 60" if budget allows, if not wait till you can ;)

Must have HD service to appriciate these TV's.

I have Directv and the HD service is an additional $9.99 a month. I had another friend switch from Dish Network to Directv and he says the Directv picture is clearer.

http://www.6ave.com/assets/product/images250/8A86F81A983C402CB043E15E41428D 17.jpg

Raudermaster
09-04-2007, 07:04 PM
I have a 36" Polaroid LCD HDTV and it's pretty sweet. IMO, DLP is the best technology out there today and would go with that. My Dad has 52" Mitsubishi DLP HD and it's incredible. You couldn't give him a Plasma TV in change for his DLP.

offroadkarter
09-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Plasma rules LCD drools :D

MinnesotaMuscle
09-04-2007, 07:15 PM
I was thinking of a 50", but the wife is having a hard time with the price tag of anything over a 42".................:bop1:

MinnesotaMuscle
09-04-2007, 07:19 PM
$9.99, I will look into it then......:nerd:

larryo340
09-04-2007, 07:51 PM
I was thinking of a 50", but the wife is having a hard time with the price tag of anything over a 42".................:bop:
I don't know about prices in Minnesota, but here on Long Island it is pretty competitive. I have seen my TV for as low as $900, I paid $2,400 :mad2:a year and a half ago.

Prices seem to be getting lower every couple months or so. If you can hold out-- I bet before :xtree: they'll be much less than now.

freakstatus
09-04-2007, 11:41 PM
LCD is the way to go....no glare or problems viewing from the side. Make sure it has more that two HDMI inputs....and please hook up to an HD source or you'll think the pictures crap. Great for gaming too. I have an LG 42" LCD with XBOX 360 and HD Box....The best picture I've seen is from a Sharp Aquos 46" LCD. You may want to go with 1080P resolution...its the way of the future.

offroadkarter
09-05-2007, 12:02 AM
If you go to best buy and show them the price of a TV thats cheaper somewhere else, they will sell you the tv cheap, thats how my brother got 600 dollars of a 1300 dollar plasma ;)

Aren Jay
09-05-2007, 12:17 AM
ahh my three page post whas just deleted.

let me summarise:

What do you want to do with this TV?

Normal TV & VCR = CRT is best.

DVD = Plasma is best.

HDTV = LCD is best.

Sunlight in room, CRT is best

Sitting up close to screen, LCD is best.

Sitting far away, Plasma is best.

Diagnol of screen for best 3D effect should be how far away you are sitting. 3rd row at movie theatre.

Twice that is typical movie theatre seat.

More than twice that and you get the little window on the wall effect. Do you look out the window at the window or stand 20 feet away and peer out the port hole?

I have had 3 Home Theatre Projector system. I sold one and still have 2. LCD projectors are great and in data form can be used for all purposes. Widescreen projectors are not as good for non movie DVD use. Not good for TV watching.

why?

16x9 means the screen is 1.78 times wider than it is high.
(widescreen or HD is typically 16x9)

4x3 means the screen is 1.33 times wider than it is high.
(normal TV video etc...)

a ratio of wide screen 16x9 with a 30" diagnol is such that a wide screen movie will be 30" wide. A 2.35 x 1 ultra wide will be 30 x 92% = 27.6" diagnol with black lines top and bottom. But a 4x3 tv screen with lines on the sides is 30" x 84% = 25.2" across.

while a 32" CRT 4x3 TV is such that a 16x9 wide screen is 32 x 92% = 29.44" and 2.35x1 ultra wide is 29.44 x 92% = 27.09" across.

Don't let them fool you into buying a wide screen tv if you do not need one.

32" CRT TV's last longer and stay brighter longer, than LCD's. They are also much cheaper than LCD's and LCD standards are always changing. Most are still 720p (1280 x720 resolution) medium HD TV standard. They look terrible for standard TV, unless you like porthole TV watching. Are great for some DVD's but will not be used in the future.

HDMI The wonder interface because it has copy protection built in. One plug for sound and video. Digital and capable of using line doubleing technology. Which is currently mediocre.

Everyone talks about big LCD screens 60" 70" 80" with 1080P resolution. (HDMI 1.3) Very expensive and looks great but will be replaced next year with 1440P. (HDMI version 1.4) Play Station 3's already support 1440P. If you are going to go for the biggest and best wait for it. Next year is only 4 months away.

Now if all you want is a set for DVD movie viewing in the evening or in a dark room, get an LCD Projector and a Draper Luma manual screen.

I have a 100" screen 4x3 in my living room that I use for both TV and DVD. It is amazing. Crystal clear with a 1028x768 XGA data projector (LCD sony) Mine is a VPL CX75 wireless (not recomended). Get a non wireless one instead. Cheaper and it works.

A Sony VPL EX4 is everything you need and with a screen it is a cheap and very good solution. About $1000.00 and you can have a Home Theatre in your house. They do not work in direct sunlight, that is why I have a 27" CRT tv as well.
They also give you a massive nausea inducing computer display. Nothing beats getting airsick on an X-box flying game (the only x-box flying game) sitting 8.33 feet away from an 8.33 foot screen. you will need a 5.1 minimal sound setup but it make everything you watch better. Never will you know how much sub there is in a modern commercial without it.
4x3 Projectors are also 16x9 with an internal menu selection and fully HDTV compatible. And even without HDMI you will have crystal clear DVD's.

So get a 32" CRT TV for $300 - $400 if you plan on watching normal TV.

Don't believe the hype.

Get a projector if you have the space for a BIG screen.

http://www.draperinc.com/Screen_Pages/luma_projection_screen.htm get a matt white screen, cheaper and easy to clean.

http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/product/VPL-EX4

and get a premier gyrolock mount, allows you to mount on a wall or ceiling for out of the way inverted mounting.

rayjay
09-05-2007, 12:53 AM
As stated above I would not trade my 46" DLP. Draw backs are the monitor needs to be at eye level for best viewing and more than 45 degrees off center degrades picture quality. Neither is a problem for me.

mcb26
09-05-2007, 05:46 AM
We bought an Hiticha 50 1080 plasma.
Make sure you take a tape measure to measure the screen, we were fixin to buy a 56 in till I measured where I was going to put it. They look much smaller in the store than they do in the house.
I didn't want a projection because of the viewing angle. If your center of your TV is above or below your I level most of the projection TV gray out a little.
Also a projection cannot be mounted at an angle.
We've had ours 3 months and are very happy with it. Got a Bose sound system with it. Highly recommended.
We don't currently get any HD. Trees are in the way of the sat.

Nothing like John Force going down the 1/4 mile with the sound all the way up.
Takes a while to peel the cats off the ceiling though.

ckadiddle
09-05-2007, 06:58 AM
I have a huge family room, so I went with rear-projection. The older technology is much less expensive per inch than the newer plasma, LCD, DLP etc. technologies. I am very nearsighted, so for me screen size is important to me. Bought a 65 inch monster for under two grand several years back. If space is tight, the flat panel technologies will fit your home better than a rear projection model.

Check your room, figure out how much space you have. Check your wallet, see how much you can afford to spend. Then visit the stores. Don't look at the brand names. See which screen looks best to you. Everyone's eyes are a little different. Make the best compromise based on where you will put the TV, how much you can spend, and which one had the brightest, sharpest picture in the stores. There is no right or wrong here.

ctrlraven
09-05-2007, 09:40 AM
OK,

Will be siting 10-25' away.
For 10'-25' I would say no less than a 55" screen

Mostly head on, but some at a 45 degree angle.
45 degrees is find, once you get to 60 degrees you can start losing some detail of the picture.

Currently we have local channels, about to hook up to Satellite, probably not the HD, unless its cheap and it realy does make a diffrence...?.....
That would depend on the TV. If your going to get Satellite and want to have local channels in HD you will need a HD antenna other wise I would look for a HD-Upgradeable/Ready TV, do not get one with a built-in HD tuner because unless your viewing DVD quality or higher the picture will actually look worse since the TV would be trying to convert such a low quality signal. Later down the road you can always get an external HD tuner to convert the signal if you choose to get true HD.

Mix of both TV and DVD's, maybe 75/25 split
Make sure the TV has at least 2-3 HD inputs (Red, Green, Blue) so you can hook up your DVD player (if it supports HD output), game systems, etc etc.

We have a standard DVD player, but hope to upgrade to a Sound/DVD/VCR system in the next year or two at most.
Standard DVD player will work just fine. You may want to upgrade and use a S-Video connection wire if your DVD player supports it to get a slightly better picture.

The type and style of TV really depends on how much space you have to work with. If space isn't a problem then a rear projection (big screen) would be a choice, if space is limited then a LCD or Plasma would be a better choice as most of them you can get a stand for or mount them on the wall just be sure to locate the studs in the wall.

Here is a short article from the company I used to work for breaking down how to choose the type of HD TV. http://expertadvice.tweeter.com/2007/08/choosing-a-hi-d.html#more

KillJoy
09-05-2007, 09:43 AM
We recently purchased a 46" Samsung DLP.

We like it.

:up:

KillJoy

pantheroc
09-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Go for DLP with LED lighting. Instant on, no color wheel?, 60,000 hour life on light source, less motion artifacts compared to other televisions(IMO). Depth is approx 15".

Been on the mailing list for TI for years, here's a link.

http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/led_hdtvs.aspx

DLP buyer's guide:
http://www.dlp.com/downloads/?ref=/downloads/Buyers_Guide_HDTV.pdf

EX: Samsung HLTxx89S series, max resolution 1920x1080.
User's Manual (large pdf file):
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200703/20070326174110812_BP68-00628B-01L03_0309.pdf

dreydin
09-05-2007, 10:40 AM
UH YES HUGE DIFFERENCE! GET HD! :banana2:

freakstatus
09-05-2007, 12:03 PM
If you go to best buy and show them the price of a TV thats cheaper somewhere else, they will sell you the tv cheap, thats how my brother got 600 dollars of a 1300 dollar plasma ;)

Offroad...that works great for engagement rings as well....I probably saved a grand playing one place against another.....

MinnesotaMuscle
09-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Ok thank you all for the input... I have tried to do as much research on this as possible, I'm looking at one from Samsung, the HL-S5687W. it does have 1080 res, but its a rear projection. man this stuff is confusing.....The thing with the DLP, I don't ever see that in a discription, like this one below that has caught my eye. I kow what DLP is (Digital Light Processing), I just don't know what it is......if that makes any sence.....Can someone explain what DLP is and what TV's have it and what ones don't??

http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/samsung-hl-s5687w/4505-6484_7-31783171.html?ar=o&tag=pdtl-list

pantheroc
09-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Here is a link explaining it. Basically it is a chip (integrated circuit) with a lot of micromirrors on it that move. This link also has a model search drop down menu that will appear on the right when you select "HDTVs" in the grey box. It will list most available DLP HDTVs available and where to find them.

http://www.dlp.com/tech/what.aspx

Here's a good video demo of what it does. The demo shows a color wheel, newer technology uses LEDs as the light source instead of a bulb that dims and requires replacement over time, more expensive systems use prizms and three DLP chips.
http://www.dlp.com/includes/demo_flash.aspx

Ok thank you all for the input... I have tried to do as much research on this as possible, I'm looking at one from Samsung, the HL-S5687W. it does have 1080 res, but its a rear projection. man this stuff is confusing.....The thing with the DLP, I don't ever see that in a discription, like this one below that has caught my eye. I kow what DLP is (Digital Light Processing), I just don't know what it is......if that makes any sence.....Can someone explain what DLP is and what TV's have it and what ones don't??

http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/samsung-hl-s5687w/4505-6484_7-31783171.html?ar=o&tag=pdtl-list

MinnesotaMuscle
09-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Ok, going to ask another stupid question, is a rear projection TV a DLP? Like I was saying I can't seem to find any that state what TV's have DLP, or are a tyoe on there own like Plasma,LCD, ETC???

MinnesotaMuscle
09-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Never mind, I've been reading for hours on this while at work :type:and I think I found my answer, Really thinking of this one......

http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-t...&tag=pdtl-list (http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/samsung-hl-s5687w/4505-6484_7-31783171.html?ar=o&tag=pdtl-list)

Raudermaster
09-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Is that a DLP or no? I'm telling you, DLP IS the future. Go to any high end TV store, they will tell you about DLP's and how good they are, and no, Best Buy/Circuit City doesn't qualify as one. Those people who work there don't know a hand from a foot.

MinnesotaMuscle
09-05-2007, 08:04 PM
It is a DLP, but the problem is its last years model the '06, I can find them online for around $1100-$1300. Buying from online stores makes me nervouse. Best Buy, Target and all those don't carry 'em anymore, not since may. The rep I talked to on the phone for Best Buy says they can't order them either. I'm going into Best Buy tomorrow to talk with them. The reason I like this one so much is it has everything....57", 1080p, DLP, rear projection.....Any other TV I find that compares is in the $2000 range.

freakstatus
09-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Keep in mind that with rear projection or DLP you may need to replace the bulb eventually and may cost upwards of $500. With Plasma or LCD its not an issue. Also google "burn in" as i heard that was an issue with Plasmas. Also, LCD's have a faster refresh rate for those action packed movies or games...

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Ok, I sell these things everyday so,
first if you consider looking into a DLP remember the replacement bulbs can run whatever the manufacturer wants as many are proprietary, and last anywhere from 1-3yrs.

DLPs
+ more screen size for money
- replacement bulbs
- not nearly as thin as flat panels
- both horizontal and vertical viewing angle specifics

DLP w/ LED tech
- Just go compare the LEDs against DLPs they look like ****, nuff said

Plasmas
+ will give you the best picture for sports(fast moving action).
+ better viewing angle, the gas is directly behind the glass/plexiglass whereas LCD panels will have a sort of "projection" effect because of the layered technology, cause washout and inaccuracies in color when not watching from dead center
+ vibrant color
- direct reflection on screen(glass/plexiglass/plastic panel cover).
- image burn in if left on screen too long
- more heat dissipation through panel than lcds(has been limited on newer models)
- Heavier than LCDs

LCDs
+ brighter than plasma (not necessarily better)
+ more natural color, (imo, skin tones, intensities etc..)
+ very difficult to burn in (can be used as computer monitor, game display)
+ no direct reflection, just a slight glossy finish on panel
- pixelization on fast moving objects (bunch of boxes)
- viewing angles

Alot of these negatives depend greatly on the brand/quality of the television.

Basically you pay more for either, 1 the processor, and 2, the panel. If you have a high end sony lcd and directly compare to a lower end sharp, you will see more pixelization on fast moving things and alot more of the "washout" color inaccuracies as you change the angle of view on the sharp's panel, because of the grade of the processor and panel on the sharp as contrasted to the sony's.

If anyone cares I personally have the 1080p 46'' Sony XBR2 Lcd which was considered high end for over a year, the new XBR4s are out now, but you have to shell out quite some amount of dough for the good stuff.

offroadkarter
09-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Also google "burn in" as i heard that was an issue with Plasmas.

thats only really a problem if you leave the same image on the screen for an hour, and it usually goes away. There was a slight image burn in on our TV when we turned it of, but afew min later it went away and its back to being black now.

make sure you always set it to widescreen to, not the box. Has to take up the whole TV or you could get a little bit of burn in going on.

MinnesotaMuscle
09-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Whats the life of the Plasma TV's? Sounds like I either get more screen for my money with a rear projection DLP but I will be replacing bulbs. The Plasma's cost allot more, but last longer?

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Whats the life of the Plasma TV's? Sounds like I either get more screen for my money with a rear projection DLP but I will be replacing bulbs. The Plasma's cost allot more, but last longer?

Rear projections should last you longer, as long as you keep replacing those bulbs..

You will get approx up to 60,000 hrs of panel life on most plasmas and LCDs. (You can supposedly watch it for 8 hrs a day and expect about 20 yrs out of it, but the techs predict a lifespan of 8-10 yrs regardless.)

rayjay
09-06-2007, 01:31 PM
FWIW, I bought my 46" Samsung DLP from a national online retailer at a really good price one year ago. Free shipping and install. I have purchased from this retailer many times without a problem. It was the previous years model and 720P not 1080I. I did this after actually going and looking at all the HD sets available. I personally could not see the difference between a 720 and a 1080. For $99 I purchased a extended warranty that covers the bulb. So if they pay to replace the bulb once in that time period I'm ahead of the game. I was quoted $250 +/- for a bulb, user replaceable. I can actually see the picture clearly regardless of the light conditions in my living room. I couldn't say that with my regular 32" TV. After measuring the seating distances, 46" was perfect for my room. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Be sure you have HDMI connections as these make a big difference in picture quality and don't get sold on the esoteric exspensive cords. Get them at Walmart, they all have to meet the same standard regardless of price. You will need a strong signal, I had problems at 1st with this and the cable company had to replace everything from the set to the pole to straighten it out.

KillJoy
09-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Never mind, I've been reading for hours on this while at work :type:and I think I found my answer, Really thinking of this one......

http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-t...&tag=pdtl-list

That is about the same as the 46" we got.

Nice TV for the $$$.

:up:

KillJoy

larryo340
09-06-2007, 04:50 PM
FWIW, I bought my 46" Samsung DLP from a national online retailer at a really good price one year ago. Free shipping and install. I have purchased from this retailer many times without a problem. It was the previous years model and 720P not 1080I. I did this after actually going and looking at all the HD sets available. I personally could not see the difference between a 720 and a 1080. For $99 I purchased a extended warranty that covers the bulb. So if they pay to replace the bulb once in that time period I'm ahead of the game. I was quoted $250 +/- for a bulb, user replaceable. I can actually see the picture clearly regardless of the light conditions in my living room. I couldn't say that with my regular 32" TV. After measuring the seating distances, 46" was perfect for my room. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Be sure you have HDMI connections as these make a big difference in picture quality and don't get sold on the esoteric exspensive cords. Get them at Walmart, they all have to meet the same standard regardless of price. You will need a strong signal, I had problems at 1st with this and the cable company had to replace everything from the set to the pole to straighten it out.
I thought that they were only broadcasting in 720 at this time, and 1080 is to come soon?
Anybody know?

BruteForce
09-06-2007, 04:59 PM
I have two DLPs. 50" Samsung 720p and a 65" Mitsubishi 1080p. While both have excellent pictures, the 1080p blows the Sammy away. Get a 1080p and then pickup a Toshiba HD-DVD player (300 at Costco). Best upconversion (to 1080i) of standard discs I've seen. Even better than my :censor: $2K video scaler.

(ps. scaler is for sale :D)

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Both comcast and directv have broadcasts in 1080i, not 1080p. Takes too much bandwidth to transfer 1.3 Gigabits p/sec, so networks will output it in HD at 720p or 1080i(540p in non static scenes). And I'd have to suggest blu-ray over hd-dvd. Although picture quality is the same, blu ray has more storage capabilities allowing for more hi def video and audio storage, which is why more production companies are backing it.

Too bad the Bourne movies are on HD...:mad2:

Motorhead350
09-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Televison is a brainwash so save your money for go fast parts for the Marauder.... not something to waste your time sitting in front of when you could be out or be more productive.

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Dom, lets make a series of videos involving our cars, that'll get ya to watch tv!

Motorhead350
09-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Dom, lets make a series of videos involving our cars, that'll get ya to watch tv!

Heck no I'll just buy the videos. ;)

04MRADR
09-07-2007, 05:18 PM
I have two passions in life. Anything with Marauders and my TV and Home Theater system. Currently building a Home Theater Room in my home and will get a HDTV. My son bought a Phillips LCD and hasn't stopped cursing it. Had to be repaired twice within the first year. My suggestion is go to a Circuit City. The one in my area has two long walls of TVs and you can judge for yourself. I am in the process of buying one myself. I think if you look closely at a variety of sets you will go the extra bucks for a 1080P versus a 720P. Far superior I think. I've had a Toshiba 35" set for 11 years and not one single problem so I'm partial to Toshibas. I like the new Regaza (think I spelled it right) series. Its LCD for me. We have Comcast Cable in our area and they recently had a nice newspaper supplement on what to buy, not brand name, but type. If you have a very bright room with lots of natural light they suggested plasma. If a room doesn't get much natural light then LCD. I'm buying LCD but not just for this reason. I hate those darn plasma sets that turn black when you get too close to them. I'm sold on Toshiba LCD but if not Toishiba I would go with a Sony. I've also seen articles in TV Magazines and Business Articles that say the prices will still keep coming down. The reason? Wal Mart has started selling them. Also, prices normally come down a few weeks after the Super Bowl if you can wait.

Raudermaster
09-07-2007, 07:53 PM
FiOS FTW!

Aren Jay
09-09-2007, 11:36 AM
CRT is best for normal TV.

Everything else is blurry.

CRT rear projection TV's are cheap. Big but cheap.

You also can not turn them sideways. So keep that in mind when you pick where it is going. But once on level ground they have wheels on the bottom and don't need stands or wall mounts etc...

Locally I can pick up a CRT Rear Projection TV 65" 1080i for less than C$1000. standard price.

For what you said you want, 10 - 25 feet watching at up to 45 degrees that is the best option.

If you need it flat, pick a Plasma as plasma looks better than LCD with normal tv.

If you can't get a CRT look at a Sony LCD Grand Wega (Vega) Rear Projection, the 3LCD chips blend together lower resolutions to keep them from getting too blurry, unlike LCD flat displays.

MinnesotaMuscle
09-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Well I've hit afew diffrent stores, no one seems to have any decent deals going on. The TV I was looking at before, no one can get. Last years model. On'y place I can find it is refurbished....screw that.....I'll wait until they go on special....Thanks for all the great info guys!

larryo340
09-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Wait for the Christmas or Superbowl sales, prices should come down then.

dreydin
09-10-2007, 09:11 AM
"Black Friday" is your best bet