PDA

View Full Version : PTS Turbo kit for marauder

offroadkarter
09-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Just curious, i see a marauder that PTS made, 9psi and 460hp i believe. Anyone know the cost? if its about or less than a trilogy then i am gonna start counting my pennies :)

magindat
09-05-2007, 04:43 AM
Dude, contact Juno on this one. He's the resident expert.

Todd
09-05-2007, 07:20 AM
Just curious, i see a marauder that PTS made, 9psi and 460hp i believe. Anyone know the cost? if its about or less than a trilogy then i am gonna start counting my pennies :)

the cost is about the same as a trilogy kit. Depending on if you can catch it on sale or not. If you can, it could save you over a grand off the trilogy kit.

Both are great kits. The turbo kit makes a good bit more power and is less of a stress on your engine. UNLESS you turn the boost up and then the tq it will produce WILL break things. And it is not a straight forward install. It is a 'tuner' kit for sure. Meaning there are assumptions made that you know a good bit about working on cars before you try the install. The trilogy is much more user friendly as far as install goes.

Here is a link to my original thread when I put my kit on.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23462 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23462)
There are some details in there from when I put the kit on the first time around. Since then I have blown the motor, added a forged bottom end, much upgraded turbo, GT heads, and other goodies. Be careful with the power you can make on this kit.

With the stock kit, at psi in the mid teens, you will be over 600hp and much over 600 tq.

Mine was an upgraded turbo to begin with. It made 450hp/502tq uncorrected on a Mustang dyno. At 8psi.

Since I did all those changes I have only cranked it up to 10psi until I get a new pipe and the 05 mass air. It made 475hp/476tq. But the 2nd upgrade on the turbo I made is much larger than the first and doesnt get into it's efficiency range with the exhaust flow I have till around 15psi.

What I am saying here is that you will do VERY well with just a stock kit. No upgrades are neccessary to the kit to make well into the 600hp/tq range. I would suggest getting a set of 60lb injectors. I believe the kit still comes with 42's. You will need the little adapter harnesses to run the 60's or you would need to cut and rewire to run the 42's from what I understand. But dont quote me about the 42's. Dennis Reinhart sells the injector adapters. Thats where I got mine.

Juno will chime in I am sure.

magindat
09-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I forgot all about Todd!!! Sorry, dude!!!. Juno attacked his on his own and was faced with many 'tuner' issues as well.

A Reinhart Vortech or an FIT will run you about the same money and with easier install.

Raudermaster
09-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Hey man, start off small first. Don't get too ahead of yourself. It's good to plan now, and research what will be better for yourself/application.

fastcar
09-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Aren't superchargers a lot better on these cars than turbos?

I mean, these things don't make bottom end to begin with, and they are HEAVY cars, so, wouldn't a supercharger work better, be more fun to drive? I'd love to hear from some turbo users on this. Turbo lag on this car would drive me nuts, versus instant BIG BLOCK-like torque from a supercharger...

fastcar:burnout:

Dragcity
09-05-2007, 05:00 PM
I think turbo lag is a thing of the past. New turbos are more efficient by design.

lastdaze04
09-05-2007, 05:07 PM
I have a Trilogy and boost is instant, I have a friend that has a turbo, with the right application there is no 'turbo lag' it is also pretty much instant, both will 'break things'. I also had another with a vortech s-trim mustang and with a 4.10 rear end and a 3500 stall he was competive and he could 'break things' FWIW
Rick

Jon01
09-05-2007, 05:11 PM
There's no comparison in terms of potential output between either of the supercharger options and a PTK system.
With the right combination of turbo and converter there won't be any noticeable turbo lag, my old GN had no problems spooling a -61 with a very tight 2800 converter. Mash it off idle from a light and you were sideways within 10', pushing 20psi.
Turbo's are much more efficient, easier to upgrade and very flexible if appropriately sized.
Those of you interested in a PTK kit might want to do some research over on turbomustangs.com, most of the builders have had issues with delivery timeframe and incomplete kits. Don't know anything of PTK, maybe they haven't but for 6k it would only be prudent to check them out.

Logan
09-05-2007, 06:03 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm turbo...........

Zack
09-05-2007, 06:08 PM
^^^Taking my advice Logan?
You are smarter than I thought.

offroadkarter
09-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Hey man, start off small first. Don't get too ahead of yourself. It's good to plan now, and research what will be better for yourself/application.

This is future thinking ;)

I cant install a turbo or a supercharger, chances are i'd take it to a shop. I think there is a shop that works on V8's not to far from me.

Im still considering a trilogy also, but from what ive seen the turbo kit looks impressive.

Also, is PTK and PTS the same thing? This streetfire vid says "PTK marauder" but it says proturbosystems.net

Help :confused: I dont want to sound like a moron to much

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/84baf903-38c7-4e3c-a8b5-173636f7f455.htm

The only reason i consider a turbo now is because of the hp and tq it makes on only 9psi. 520tq is alot! I'd be happy with 460hp and 520tq or close to it.

First i need money money money, which i dont have have have :(

Edit: After going on the website (duh) I know the awnser to my dumb question above about pts or ptk so dont make me feel retarted by awnsering that.....

But while browsing the site i did come across the car that has the kit and i am impressed.

http://www.proturbokits.com/sponsored.asp?id=37

Todd
09-06-2007, 11:08 AM
PTK was the company name under the old owner. PTS is the name under the new owners. (Dalton and Greg.) I know both of them and they are good guys. Juno had some problems but I would say that is out of the norm under the new owners. But he DID have problems under the new owners. So buyer beware.

PS That car you links to is my car....... It was before I got broke a ring land and did all the work I mention in my 1st reply.

I think it is. I didnt click on your link but mine is the only Marauder on their site with a write up.

***EDIT*** I just clicked your link and that IS my car. With the original install.

PSS I just saw your comment about verifying the PTS versus PTK difference. But I had already typed the reply. It is a good question. So at least this way others know the answer.

This is future thinking ;)

I cant install a turbo or a supercharger, chances are i'd take it to a shop. I think there is a shop that works on V8's not to far from me.

Im still considering a trilogy also, but from what ive seen the turbo kit looks impressive.

Also, is PTK and PTS the same thing? This streetfire vid says "PTK marauder" but it says proturbosystems.net

Help :confused: I dont want to sound like a moron to much

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/84baf903-38c7-4e3c-a8b5-173636f7f455.htm

The only reason i consider a turbo now is because of the hp and tq it makes on only 9psi. 520tq is alot! I'd be happy with 460hp and 520tq or close to it.

First i need money money money, which i dont have have have :(

Edit: After going on the website (duh) I know the awnser to my dumb question above about pts or ptk so dont make me feel retarted by awnsering that.....

But while browsing the site i did come across the car that has the kit and i am impressed.

http://www.proturbokits.com/sponsored.asp?id=37

Todd
09-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Aren't superchargers a lot better on these cars than turbos?

I mean, these things don't make bottom end to begin with, and they are HEAVY cars, so, wouldn't a supercharger work better, be more fun to drive? I'd love to hear from some turbo users on this. Turbo lag on this car would drive me nuts, versus instant BIG BLOCK-like torque from a supercharger...

fastcar:burnout:

Better, no. Different considerations, yes.

As others have already replied (below your post but above mine) proper turbo selection is key. The turbo in the kit will give you very good low end grunt.

Todd
09-06-2007, 11:15 AM
I have a Trilogy and boost is instant, I have a friend that has a turbo, with the right application there is no 'turbo lag' it is also pretty much instant, both will 'break things'. I also had another with a vortech s-trim mustang and with a 4.10 rear end and a 3500 stall he was competive and he could 'break things' FWIW
Rick

You are dead on with the right application comment. Pick the right turbo for your goals and you are in good shape.

All power adders can break things. But there is NOTHING like a turbo's torque curve for breaking serious parts if you dont prepare everything right.

As I said above, stock turbo on this kit is a 64e. Very nice, small turbo. All you have to do is add an electronic boost controller and up the boost to the mid teens at you are at over 600hp and almost 700tq. Period. No 10 rib setups, no extra belt tensioners, no pulley changes, etc....

Just make sure you have the fuel to support it.

juno
09-06-2007, 12:12 PM
That's Todd's car. When he gets the final tune on it, it will be OMFG :eek::eek::eek: fast.

As Rich and Todd said, it is a tuner kit.

Here is a link to my thread.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27916&highlight=ptk

Pro's -
Makes more power then any stock PA available for our cars, more then enough to shatter a stock motor before it even starts getting efficient. That is with the stock T64e turbo. You can go bigger if you want. With a total stock motor at 9.5 psi I am at 470++ rwhp, I do not remember the torque, and my boost controller is set at only about 30-35%. :eek:

It comes with new headers and all, all the way back past the cats. (Cats go bye-bye), so you do not need to do any extra exhaust work, but a set of straight through Ultra-Flows is highly recommended. So you save a lot of money there. You would have to do exhaust work and a bunch of other stuff to the other stockkits to come anywhere near the power of the stock turbo.

No belts, much less stress on the crank, so for the same amount of boost, you get a lot more HP then the SC'er's

The TQ is like adding a 200+ shot of Nitrous anytime you want. Though it is not as instant as the PD kit from a dead stop, it makes much more of it. You don't have the big block feel like the PD, it builds a little slower, then BOOM. Hang on until you run out of road, rpm's or balls.
I am having a bogging problem with mine off a deadstop. It is not turbo related at all, I need the tune tweaked for my one-off TC. If the car is moving even the slightest full boost is almost instant in any gear.

It has no Belts.

A true Sleeper, the kit makes NO noise. Well, until it starts inhaling any air around it or you let off the gas and the BOV pops (still very very quiet). The wastegate and BOV are both plumbed back in. Even with no CATS and straight thru mufflers, mine is only slightly louder then stock at WOT.

No Belts.

It's cool. You can drive around all day and no one will ever know a thing, until you hit the go-pedal!

I got mine on sale for about $4700

Did I say it has no Belts?

CONS

Don't trust PTK, read my thread, read about them on turbomustangs, and take your chances. I waited over 6 months for delivery, and they won't even talk to me about a header clearance issue. ( My DS header hit the steering knuckle). I resolved it with a torch and a BFH on the header. Other folks are out thousands of dollars.

You have exhaust pipes running under your front cross member.

Lots of heat under the hood. You have a 3" pipe running all the way around the PS of your motor and a big heat monster crammed between the motor and radiator.

It is a 'tuner kit'. It comes with no tune, no instructions. As far as complete kits go, the Trilogy, Vortech, and Procharger are turnkey, look much better and have outstanding support and install in a day. If you decide to do it, talk to Todd or I about other things you should get. An electronic boost controller is highly recommended.

Install is more difficult.

Throw your stock tranny in the trash, or give it to me before you break it. :)

You want to go to one of the top tuners to get it tuned (Lidio, Dennis, Scott), don't even mess around with anyone else.

You will be gambling your money with PTS/PTK and you will wait and wait for the kit.

Any other questions???

offroadkarter
09-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Any other questions???

Does anyone else make a turbo kit for the marauder?

Todd
09-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Does anyone else make a turbo kit for the marauder?

No. Not out of the 'box'.

You could have someone custom fab one. There is a company here in town that fabbed the turbo kit for the twin turbo GT you hear about on the web. But I know how much it cost and it is WAY more than what I spent. But the owner of the GT (Joe) wanted it quick and has a lot of money so the price was indicative of wanting it quick and quality. (you know what they say about wanting something quick, cheap, and quality. You can only get 2 of the three).

I called a number of companies before I bought my kit to see if anyone would make the kit. I knew the guys at PTS but options are ALWAYS good. I called Hellion, Turbo People, and some others. No one wanted to touch the kit. I offered to give my car for donor but they all said no. Maybe somehting has changed in the 2 years since I got my kit.

MarauderTJA
09-06-2007, 06:15 PM
No. Not out of the 'box'.

You could have someone custom fab one. There is a company here in town that fabbed the turbo kit for the twin turbo GT you hear about on the web. But I know how much it cost and it is WAY more than what I spent. But the owner of the GT (Joe) wanted it quick and has a lot of money so the price was indicative of wanting it quick and quality. (you know what they say about wanting something quick, cheap, and quality. You can only get 2 of the three).

I called a number of companies before I bought my kit to see if anyone would make the kit. I knew the guys at PTS but options are ALWAYS good. I called Hellion, Turbo People, and some others. No one wanted to touch the kit. I offered to give my car for donor but they all said no. Maybe somehting has changed in the 2 years since I got my kit.

Todd, are you going to make SSHS7 with your turbo car?

Todd
09-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Todd, are you going to make SSHS7 with your turbo car?

This is going to show how busy I stay with work but when and where is it???

I am not big on organized drag racing. But will hit the track once I get her broken in.

Just waiting on Dennis to get a pipe made for the car so I can run the 05 mass air. It will allow me to better tune the car in AND run a much larger air filter.

GreekGod
09-07-2007, 04:14 PM
How fast do you want to go, and how much do you want to spend?

1)Best advice-"You want to go to one of the top tuners to get it tuned (Lidio, Dennis, Scott), don't even mess around with anyone else"

2)You should understand, the turbo "kits" are tuner kits, which means they send you the parts, and you must make them fit and work, plus dyno tune/program the computer to make it drivable.

First i need money money money, which i dont have have have

3)You will spend much more money on installation of a turbo. See #1 above.

A twin screw Whipple can be impressive. Ford thought so too (think 500+hp Mustang or GT)

Zack
09-07-2007, 04:57 PM
This is going to show how busy I stay with work but when and where is it???

I am not big on organized drag racing. But will hit the track once I get her broken in.

Just waiting on Dennis to get a pipe made for the car so I can run the 05 mass air. It will allow me to better tune the car in AND run a much larger air filter.

Jesus Todd, no offense, but its been forever since that thing was put together.
Its time for the dyno, full boost.

Todd
09-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Jesus Todd, no offense, but its been forever since that thing was put together.
Its time for the dyno, full boost.

Yea, you're probably right.

I would have gone higher than the priginal amount but I forgot to bring the boost controller instructions with me and couldnt figure out how to up the boost...:o

Plus I forgot about the overboost shutdown the boost controller has so when I did get it adjusted higher it cut it down to half.

Now I got it all figured out again. But need the 3inch pipe and 05 maf.

475hp and 476 tq is to wimpy......