PDA

View Full Version : 2k-present Taurus/Sable Opinions

cruisin97
07-18-2003, 08:27 PM
Waited for Marauder to go into production for years but not ready to purchase now.

Thinking about a 2000-2002 Taurus/Sable in the meantime.

I know all about the 3.8 head gasket/ transmission horrors all too well with older Taurus/Sable models as I had a Continental.

Any similar nightmares with the latest Taurus/Sable model years? Or any new ones?

Need advice on best model values, and what to avoid.

Thanks!

TAF
07-18-2003, 08:29 PM
Go for the Sable....:D

The Mighty Sable rears its head again...

LincMercLover
07-18-2003, 08:43 PM
None of those are really an issue anymore, as the entire engine's redesigned with OHC's.

So, if you want everyone to REALLY respect you around here, get the Sable. :up:

JamesHecker
07-18-2003, 10:14 PM
I bought a Sable LS for my wife. It has a 200HP 24 Valve Duratec V-6 and all the comforts and luxuries one could want of a car in that class.

It has plenty of power and was a smoking good deal! The Taurus is the same car, but I prefer Mercurys.

It had a $24,500 sticker on it. I paid $18,000.

cruisin97
07-22-2003, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I figured the Sable would be a requirement around here. I'm just happy I got some responses ;)

UncleLar
07-22-2003, 05:42 PM
Get a rear wheel drive car,there are plenty of clean 95-97 T-Birds and Cougars with 4.6 V 8's for reasonable prices. They're easily modded,fairly quick in stock form,and are pretty safe in real world crashes. 97's are best,followed in decending or by the 96's,95's,etc.,the 4.6 single cams are known to go well over 150,000 miles with reasonable care. Or spend some more dough and find a clean,low mileage 97 Lincoln MKVIII LSC,280 hp,4 valve twin cam,HID headlights,and the most aerodynamic car Ford has ever sold,vroom! AND,Dennis has lots of chips and stuff for these,just look at his MKVIII.If you want more info on T-Birds/Cougars/MKVIII's try this site www.tccoa.com .
Sable is okay if all you really want is a small front drive 4 door.
RWD=Right Way to Drive

Bigdogjim
07-22-2003, 07:11 PM
cruisin97: Welcome to the site! Don't know what the budget is but don't overlook the Grand M. Otherwise go for the Sable!!!!

Logan
07-22-2003, 08:44 PM
The wife had a 200hp 98 Taurus for a couple years, it's a comfortable, ride. Not a rocket by any stretch, but a reliable car none the less. I prefer the styling on the sable personally...

cruisin97
07-23-2003, 07:49 PM
I would prefer RWD, as the V6 transaxles are a nightmare to work on, and the Continental needed tie rods ends every 30k miles.

But I also need 4 doors and trunk space. Continental was comfortable for passengers in back but trunk was a bit shallow.

Which brings me to my next point. Loved the 87 GMarq. The new ones just don't do anything for me, especially those goofy taillamps and. The only that looks good is the Marauder. Just not in the budget right now.

I'm leaning toward the 4v if I get a Taurus or Sable. It's a little faster without a big mpg hit, or so the dealer says.

jgc61sr2002
07-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Cruisin Welcome to the MM site.:up:

looking97233
07-25-2003, 04:40 PM
You could look for a 96-99 Taurus SHO. It has a 3.4L DOHC V8 Duratech. and nicer seats too. IMHO the body is much better with all the nice curves than the 2k-2k2 with the hard lines and creases. A 98-99 SHO with avg. miles on it should go for about $10-12k depending on condition.
Hope this helps.

cruisin97
07-25-2003, 06:10 PM
I guess I could. Haven't really noticed any SHOs, though I can't say I was looking.

Also, in previous post, forgot to say thanks for all the welcoming.

I've been listening for a while before registering as I have been interested in the Marauder for quite some time. I like that it is a well-run place with helpful and knowledgable people.

RF Overlord
07-26-2003, 11:06 AM
cruisin:

If you're going to consider a V8 SHO, please read this (http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/MortalityTables.htm) first. Those motors are notorious for cam sprocket failures and Ford has been, shall we say, less than helpful...

cruisin97
08-04-2003, 07:01 PM
RF,

Some scary stuff about SHOs. Thanks for the news. I'll probably avoid those.

Some other Taurus thoughts.

Seems like 99% of 2001-2003s for sale are 12 valve engines. Anyone know if they made less 24 valve engines or they were only customer orders? Or are the people who bought 24 valve engines happy and keeping them?

Couldn't get a straight answer while test driving a 12 valve this past weekend. It did feel sluggish going uphill with the a/c on. Maybe it was just that particular car.

LasVegasMike
08-09-2003, 05:58 AM
I have a 2001 Sable LS Premium Wagon. I had a 2000 Cougar, and needed something to haul building materials while I'm working on my house here. I'll tell you the car is a hoot to drive. I don't think it would win any races, but it's got the 24 V engine and I've suprised more that one driver on the freeway with the car. It's like, Opps!, I've just been passed by a station wagon!

Additionally, I've been pleased with the gas mileage, average with mixed driving is in the mid-20s and on straight freeway trips can hit high 20s to low 30s. Overall it's been a good reliable car.

amerikan
08-09-2003, 07:19 PM
If i were you i would definately consider a Lincoln Mark 8. I'd have to say for the money its by far the best car. You could get a clean 1996-1998 for probably 8k-14k.

jefferson-mo
08-11-2003, 10:22 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmm.................. ........... Sable

:bows:

you'll be the King of the Streets in a Sable!

:bows:

WolfeBros
08-12-2003, 06:08 AM
yesssss.........:bows: ..... SABLE

prchrman
08-12-2003, 08:28 AM
Sableration...come on...there's a party going on................

cruisin97
08-15-2003, 06:30 PM
Thanks for replies.

Love the Mark VIII but need 4 doors. Not really sold on look of new Taurus.

But a new question arises.

Found a 24v taurus with 25K miles. Seller says engine light is on because it needs an EGR valve.

Anyone know if this is a typical replacement item for this car and mileage?

I'm a bit skeptical as I had a Grand Marquis with 180k miles with the original EGR valve.

jaywish
09-05-2003, 09:40 AM
Hi,

Just by the way when I was Marauder shopping the salesman (LMC) told me they decontented the sable/taurus even more significantly than the Marquis/Victoria.

Now I realise I'm just repeating a salesman here, but he said they even droped the standard 4 wheel disk brakes. Went back to drum on rear.

Jay

TheDealer
09-05-2003, 09:55 AM
The Mercury Sable is a fine car. I've been driving them as a Demo since they stoped making the big Cougars in 1997. The 2000 and newer are by far, much better than the older ones. The moveable brake and gas pedal feature is great. Make sure you get the 24v engine. It's a difference of night and day between the 24v and the 12v. Even the trans is different and shifts nicer. I think the Sable is one of the best buys on the market. Toyota and Nissan have nothing to compare for the price of a Sable. RAY

ADE 1000
09-05-2003, 12:38 PM
I currently drive a 2001 Sable LS Premium as my daily driver and I hate it with a passion. :flamer:

I just can't stand the way it handles. It rides very well, but there is just something very strange about the way the suspension is set up. There is way to much leaning in turns and brake dive going on, not to mention horrible torque steer. On the other hand, I used to have a '97 SHO and I thought it was great. Its amazing how two cars can be so similiar, yet so different. But the camshaft problem on the SHO would keep me away from buying another. The only reason I keep driving the Sable is because it is free.

On the other hand the, I'll agree with the others in saying that the Sable is a great value. You get a lot of car for the money. It is comfortable, gets good mileage, and has been fairly reliable so far at 35,000 miles. Only two problems so far, the AC quit working at 25K miles and the check engine light came on at 30K miles. The AC was a problem with the blend door, I can't remember which sensor needed to be replaced to get rid of the check engine light.

Good luck with your search.

TheDealer
09-05-2003, 12:58 PM
The Sable is not a performace car. The only time you get torque steer is when you leave very hard from a stop. As far a the brakes, the only time I've had nose dive is upon hard jam on the brakes type stops. For an everyday driver I think it's great, but won't compare to a MM or a Vette!!! Just my .01. RAY

the_pack_rat
09-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Sable LS for 96-99 came w/the duratec 24V engine standard I think.

Sable LS 2000-present does NOT, only The LS "Premium" has the 24V standard. The regular LS's come w/the vulcan V6 standard, this I am certain of.

Taurus SEL 2000-present comes standard with the 24V, other Taurus's optional.

I've driven countless numbers of both the vulcan & 24V duratec Sables ...

There is NO comparison IMHO ... go for the 24V.

The same held true back when Taurus & Sables had the 3.8 V6(95 & earlier). Yes. they had head gasket woes(3.8) but they ran way better than the vulcans as well.

Personally I can't stand the styling of the 96-99 Sable/Taurus ... the 2000 "makeover" was MUCH needed IMHO.

I lean towards the 2000+ Sable when it comes to these.

Better looking nose treatment on the Sable IMHO. Looks more "uptown" & it's more functionable with the fog lamp cut-outs(fog lamps standard on the LS Prem). No dedicated cut-outs on the Taurus front bumper.It's really too bad the two cars could'nt easily be combined ... cause I do prefer the look of the Taurus in the rear door/roofline area, as well as the taillamps & trunk.

While it is true Nissan & Toyota have nothing to offer in the price range ... remember the Taurus/Sable(T/S) do suffer from the same affliction most american cars do ...

MAJOR depreciation.

You will no doubt save a lot of money picking up a top of the line loaded T/S over a similarly equipped Camry - Avalon, Maxima .... but it is sort of a "wash" in a couple of yrs if you go to sell it.

Just as you paid LESS to get the T/S, you will have to sell it for LESS than that similar aged & equipped Camry - Avalon or Maxima. The Toyotas & Maxima will hold their value WAY better than the T/S will, and will probably bring way more phone calls when you place that for sale ad, esp if you put a lot of miles on it. People don't seem to be as afraid of high mileage as much on a foreign car as they do an american one.

Now I personally feel foreign cars can often be overrated in general ... but the above re-sale scenario seems to be the reality, so I guess we have to accept it. Both Toyota & Nissan have had some issues over the years with their stuff ... yet people always seem to ignore or forget that stuff. However ... whenever one of the "big three" screws something up ... no one seems to EVER forget, go figure.

Now I do like the 95-99 Maximas & really really like the 2000-2003 Maximas. IMHO, they are a way better value than the Camry or Avalon if you want to spend some extra money upfront. Perfromance wise the Camry/Avalon & 24V T/S are pretty close ... but the 2000+ Maximas surpasses them ... a 6spd one will really make mince meat out of them.

Despite the performance advantage of the Maxima ... I still think the LS Prem Sable looks more "uptown" inside. Don't get me wrong, as I DO like the Maxima ... there is just no mistaking that you are indeed in a foreign car when you are in one.(again my opinion).

Just my .02 on it all ... not at all trying to stir you away from a nice 24V Ta/Sab ... as I think the 2000+ ones are nice.

I say go for it.

Better car than similar GM cars IMHO. I'm too confused as to when GM fianally corrected their 3.1?/3.8 head gasket fiasco(yes GM had 3.8 issues as well).

I don't think a 2000-2003 Maxima would do you wrong either ... other than set you back a few more thousand, which you would more than likely get some of it back later.

Good luck in your search.

Eric - who is presently shopping for an LS Prem or Maxima.