PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first cycle!

Leadfoot281
09-07-2007, 08:07 PM
I've been telling people for years that I wasn't gonna buy a cycle 'til Ford started building them... but I just couldn't wait any longer.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/th_175cc.jpg (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/175cc.jpg)

It's a 1980ish 175cc Yamaha. I paid $2/cc for it and it has 5,660 miles. Everything works! Lights, turn signals, ect. Also, it starts on the first kick. I think I done pretty good. My face hurts from smiling too much and my teeth are full of mosquitoes. Still haven't dumped it but did manage to lose one contact lense. This thing is a BLAST!:D :D :D

Since this is my very first cycle and I haven't really ridden before, do you folks know of any good websites for parts and info? I'm having trouble finding how much oil the crankcase holds and I need a battery cover.

sabtaj1
09-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Sweet, I have a scooter. Its a 2004 Yamaha Zuma. 49cc 2 stroke. But I have done all the trans upgrades and did the big bore kit with a tuned pipe and can hit 78mph on it. I can also ride wheelies forever on it. Nothin is funnier than passin a crotchrocket ridein on one wheel on a scooter. Plus it holds 1.5 gallons of gas and I get 140 miles per tank and insurance is $8.20 a month for full coverage. Its a blast.

Richy04
09-07-2007, 09:41 PM
The oil capacity is on the crank case housing in cc's, usually right near the oil fill.. Looks like a DT175 to me. Should be easy enough to find parts for it, they made them for quite some time before retiring them, mostly in the mid to late 70's and not much changed on them. I had many bikes, some Italian,some British and Japanese.. I also had some Spanish bikes too. As far as Yamaha dirt or enduro bikes, I had the DT400,XT500,YZ465,MX250 and some others..

Make sure you fill the case with the proper amount and proper weight oil.. Too thick and the clutch will slip and fill it straight up, not on the side stand. Make sure the auto lube is working, if not mix the oil in the gas instead of using the reservoir. Have fun, DT's are great bikes and fun to ride..

Mike Poore
09-08-2007, 03:08 AM
I've had a Yamaha TW 200 since '88 and have a million smiles on it. John, just ride it, and be careful with the outside curves and gravel on the turns. They're great for putting around and sightseeing.

About 4hr is all your poor ass is gonna take at a time, or about 50miles to a circle tour.

There may be a little sight window on the left side near the gear shifter to see the oil level with the bike standing straight up, or there will be a dip stick thingey on the knob/oil filler on the left side. Make sure you don't break or lose the "O"ring that seals it.

I always thought a full face helmet was overkill for my sightseeing adventures up at camp, and bought a bicycle skid plate which works for me.

Until you've got a LOT of experience, be careful on the curves, especially the gravel roads.

Enjoy ....you done good.:D

OneBADLsE
09-08-2007, 10:30 AM
I paid $2/cc for it

Thats like 2 Jr.bacon cheeseburgers:D

Bikes are a blast no matter how fast or slow they are :beer: Enjoy it!

n00bkiller944
09-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Sweet bike man! Though i'd have to say I'm a atv man myself but either way it seems like when you take them out to a field and just run them through tall grass and skid around a bunch you just cant stop smiling

Leadfoot281
09-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Sweet, I have a scooter. Its a 2004 Yamaha Zuma. 49cc 2 stroke. But I have done all the trans upgrades and did the big bore kit with a tuned pipe and can hit 78mph on it. I can also ride wheelies forever on it. Nothin is funnier than passin a crotchrocket ridein on one wheel on a scooter. Plus it holds 1.5 gallons of gas and I get 140 miles per tank and insurance is $8.20 a month for full coverage. Its a blast.

You've got to wheelie past a few Hybrids too while you're at it! 90mpg, and $8.20/month for insurance...Dang! That thing makes Hybrids look really dumb.

Richy and Mike, Thanks for the info! Now I just need to figure out what the conversion from quarts to CC's is. Apparently my bike holds 650cc's of oil.

Noobkiller944... I almost wish I had a four wheeler today. I got it buried upto the rear axle in mud today. I also got shoulder deep in the same mud pulling my sneakers out of it.

Right now I can't imagine ever going without a bike. The Marauder might be going bye-bye next spring. Think I need a Norton 850 Commando or Triumph Speed Triple. :burnout:

Aren Jay
09-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Don't ride it on the road.

My sister (the Doctor) has seen the effects of too many Motorcycle riders. Compared to cars, motorcycles riders just don't live through crahses.

She used to work at the morgue.

Now for off road use they are great, no curbs to hit, no cars to hit you, no going 100MPH, unless you are stupid then there is no cure.

Stay off road, have fun live a long time.