PDA

View Full Version : I had issues with my lawn care company.

KillJoy
09-13-2007, 06:09 PM
How would you handle a lawn care comany that continues to damage your lawn?

I live in a Condo community, and have no control over how they are chosen. With that being said, our lawn has continued to be scalped.

I even spoke w/ the foreman, and he did not seem to care.

What would you do?

KillJoy

SamF
09-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Hold the condo fee in an escrow account until you get satisfaction?

HwyCruiser
09-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Stop b*tching about not having to mow my lawn?

KillJoy
09-13-2007, 06:16 PM
I would mow my own. I have NO problem w/ that!!!

Actually...I will be doing that from now on.

;)

After confronting the Foreman, I am actually kind of worried about ramifications....????

KillJoy

Breadfan
09-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Can you get others to complain to the condo board?

Otherwise I wouldn't do anything. Confronting them will do not good except to piss them off and they could care less about that, once you go to work and they show up they'll just f with your stuff. In this case pissing the guys off isn't going to do much good for you.

I wouldn't worry much now but griping too much and arguing with them will just aggravate it not help it.

KillJoy
09-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Can you get others to complain to the condo board?

Otherwise I wouldn't do anything. Confronting them will do not good except to piss them off and they could care less about that, once you go to work and they show up they'll just f with your stuff. In this case pissing the guys off isn't going to do much good for you.

I wouldn't worry much now but griping too much and arguing with them will just aggravate it not help it.

Hmmmm..... read two minutes before your post.

;)

KillJoy

Hack Goby
09-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Stop b*tching about not having to mow my lawn?

Dragcity
09-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Special delivery from a 3006

300 Win Mag would work as well....

oldekid
09-13-2007, 06:22 PM
If they are scalping everyone's lawn, I would get with some neighbors and complain as a group. If that doesn't work, just inform the foreman that you have some native American blood in your family and that scalping is also one of your hobbies.

:beer:

Breadfan
09-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Hmmmm..... read two minutes before your post.

;)

KillJoy

Yeah good timing on my part. :D

If they are scalping everyone's lawn, I would get with some neighbors and complain as a group. If that doesn't work, just inform the foreman that you have some native American blood in your family and that scalping is also one of your hobbies.

:beer:

That's funny!!

KillJoy
09-13-2007, 06:27 PM
The funny thing is...only folks who water and fertalize have scalped lawns....

Hmmmmmm.,........

I am worried about stuff now.....

:dunno:

KIllJoy

Leadfoot281
09-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Just park some dead cars on your lawn. That will keep them from cutting it too short. Eventually the problem will solve itself. :)

That's when you go get yourself a quiet place in the country. No one will care what the yard looks like since no one will see it. Then you can rip big divots out of it with a dirt bike all night long and no one will care.

Works for me! ;)

Zack
09-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Your lawn is 20 Sq ft, put green rock down and stop whining

KillJoy
09-13-2007, 06:45 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Astro-Turf....

:beatnik:

KillJoy

Bluerauder
09-13-2007, 06:46 PM
What would you do?

KillJoy
How do the other condo owners feel about the lawn care service? Is this a question of poor workmanship and quality or just your preference? Are there dead patches that are clearly visible due to the scalping?

I would encourage you to speak to the condo management and let them know about the situation. Take pics of the major problems. Encourage your neighbors to do the same if they have the same concerns. Ask for a copy of the contract or purchase order that the condo has with the lawn care company and see if there are any quality standards or performance measures that are not being met. If so, point them out to the condo management. Since the condo association is operating this contract arrangement on your behalf as a member and dues/maintenance payer, there should be no problem in getting a copy of the paperwork.

Once the condo association is made aware that they are not really getting quality service that they are paying for, then appropriate action will be taken by the management.

If the lawn care contract is to the brother-in-law (or other relative) of the association manager, then you may want to park your MM in another community until the issue quiets down. :o

KillJoy
09-13-2007, 06:50 PM
If the lawn care contract is to the brother-in-law (or other relative) of the association manager, then you may want to park your MM in another community until the issue quiets down. :o

It is a good friend of a Board Member :rolleyes:

KillJoy

Bluerauder
09-13-2007, 07:01 PM
It is a good friend of a Board Member :rolleyes:

KillJoy
If you feel strongly enough about the issue, then pursue getting a copy of the contract. If warranted (by quality control performance standards), talk to the manager and if necessary bring it up at one of the association meetings. Just say that you don't think that the current company is meeting its obligations under the contract as priced and suggest that they re-compete for next year.

You should be willing to take some heat about this just in case the management goes sour on you. So, if you don't feel that strongly about the lawn care issue, I would let it slide.

So, you gotta ask yourself one question ..... "....... :P

Zack
09-13-2007, 07:27 PM
All kidding aside...
Id be willing to bet the lawn care company bid to cut the lawns X amount of times for Y amount each time.

Keep a close eye on the schedule, youo might notice them come on a monday one week, then Tuesday the next, then Thursday the next, etc.
This is basically cutting a few to several lawn mowing services they bid on, and are getting paid for.

Ive never seen an honest lawn company cut the grass too short, always not short enough.

knine
09-13-2007, 07:29 PM
I have 3 1/2 ACRES of lawn to cut, somebody PLEASE come scalp this ***** so I don't have to cut it anymore.

Local Boy
09-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey Killjoy...

I just put in my own lawn @ 2 years ago...This was/is my experience...

When you say "scalped" do you mean it is cut down to the soil? Or do you mean it is cut down to where you see thatch...that is the lower portion of the grass blade that is NOT exposed to the sun and therefore is brown?

The reason I ask is that there are grasses (what type do you have?) that respond well to being "scalped" others like "El Toro" grass (this is the one I have) does not like being scalped, and takes a LONG time to repair itself...with constant care...

You metioned that only the people who are watering and fertilizing their grass have this problem...This points me to the actual length of the grass blade... and assume that it is NOT being cut down to the soil level.

If this IS the case...How often is your lawn being mowed? Perhaps it is being mowed not often enough...

What may be happening is that the grass is growing too long...and the lower portion of the grass blade is not exposed to the sun, creating thatch....

BTW: If I wait too long to cut my lawn...The grass gets @ 5-6 inches long...When I cut it...it leaves 2 inches of brown grass that looks scalped...

So when they come and cut the grass at the same setting on the mower...They cut off the top of the grass blade and you see the bottom "brown" [portion]...

Easy fix would be to cut your grass (more often) between the times that gardeners cut the grass...This would keep your lawn from getting too long...and developing thatch...

BTW: Always remove the cut grass from your lawn...to avoid the build up of thatch... Also, you should only be fertilizing @ every 3-4 months of the growing season...and stop during the cold season...You should be watering as little as possible, for your area...Enough to soak 6-8 inches of the top soil...Around once to twice a week, again depending on how hot or cool your area is...This would promote longer and stronger roots and help your lawn fend off pests and disease.

Hope this helps...

ALOHA

knine
09-13-2007, 07:35 PM
....when they show up with a tiller instead of a mower, worry then !!! :lol:

CRUZTAKER
09-13-2007, 07:50 PM

...OR MOVE.:P

offroadkarter
09-13-2007, 07:55 PM
I have 3 1/2 ACRES of lawn to cut, somebody PLEASE come scalp this ***** so I don't have to cut it anymore.

Hah when you get 16 acres and start using a bush hog feild mower with a 9spd tractor, then start complaining :P

Killjoy, if you dont want them near your lawn anymore throw firecrackers allover your lawn, and hide them well.

CRUZTAKER
09-13-2007, 09:16 PM

Sheep.

I have a friend with 20 acres and he doesn't even own a lawn mower. The sheep keep it at a perfect 2" height.

Let's not spaek of lonely friday nights please.:P

Aren Jay
09-13-2007, 11:43 PM
You have a say.

Just one.

You should call your management company and complain, tell them about the foremans bad attitude. Never worry about repercussions, you live there the moron does not.

I have had issues with moron gardeners, Some are good some are bad sometimes the good ones come back sometimes they are replaced with bad cheap gardeners. Voice your opinion to your condo board, complain to the management company. When it comes time to vote on stuff vote against those who disagree with you, it is called democracy (sort of). You can also run for a position on the condo board and get things done if you are politically interested, and not too shy.

If you have a bare land condo (means you own your land it is not condo group land) then you can tell the foreman jerk that he is not to step foot on your land or you will have him charged with trespassing. You end up cutting your own lawn and he has to take the long journey when he and or his team needs to get by. (You can't prevent emergency people from using your property). If you have shared land you can't do this. If you are renting you also have to work through your rental agent.

Bigdogjim
09-14-2007, 04:47 AM
Bottom line is ........it's not your grass!

Don't you have better things to worry about?

knine
09-14-2007, 04:57 AM
Sheep.

Let's not spaek of lonely friday nights please.:P

That explains all the "kids" with curly white hair.

KillJoy
09-14-2007, 06:01 AM
Bottom line is ........it's not your grass!

Don't you have better things to worry about?

Uhhh..... WRONG! I own the property, the lawn, the concrets and the home. It just happens to be "titled" as a single family condo.

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

Bigdogjim
09-14-2007, 07:57 AM
Uhhh..... WRONG! I own the property, the lawn, the concrets and the home. It just happens to be "titled" as a single family condo.

KillJoy

Well if you "own" it then step in a care for it?

MACFORD88
09-14-2007, 08:04 AM
Move Out Do Youer Own Lawn.

Ken
09-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Hey Killjoy...

I just put in my own lawn @ 2 years ago...This was/is my experience...

When you say "scalped" do you mean it is cut down to the soil? Or do you mean it is cut down to where you see thatch...that is the lower portion of the grass blade that is NOT exposed to the sun and therefore is brown?

The reason I ask is that there are grasses (what type do you have?) that respond well to being "scalped" others like "El Toro" grass (this is the one I have) does not like being scalped, and takes a LONG time to repair itself...with constant care...

You metioned that only the people who are watering and fertilizing their grass have this problem...This points me to the actual length of the grass blade... and assume that it is NOT being cut down to the soil level.

If this IS the case...How often is your lawn being mowed? Perhaps it is being mowed not often enough...

What may be happening is that the grass is growing too long...and the lower portion of the grass blade is not exposed to the sun, creating thatch....

BTW: If I wait too long to cut my lawn...The grass gets @ 5-6 inches long...When I cut it...it leaves 2 inches of brown grass that looks scalped...

So when they come and cut the grass at the same setting on the mower...They cut off the top of the grass blade and you see the bottom "brown" [portion]...

Easy fix would be to cut your grass (more often) between the times that gardeners cut the grass...This would keep your lawn from getting too long...and developing thatch...

BTW: Always remove the cut grass from your lawn...to avoid the build up of thatch... Also, you should only be fertilizing @ every 3-4 months of the growing season...and stop during the cold season...You should be watering as little as possible, for your area...Enough to soak 6-8 inches of the top soil...Around once to twice a week, again depending on how hot or cool your area is...This would promote longer and stronger roots and help your lawn fend off pests and disease.

Hope this helps...

ALOHA+1

I realized what you were talking about this morning as I cut my lawn. I'm down to the brown grass. If I had more time, I would cut the grass a little lower, just not low enough to cause it to burn out. Watch the weather and water during the week if necessary. What that does is cuts down the brown/ non-growing grass and then you'll only see the green when it grows and gets cut next times. Try giving the guy that cuts it an extra $20, if he'll lower the mower just this one time. Or try raking out some of the thatch.

Ken

1of327
09-14-2007, 08:58 AM
My thinking is if your paying home owner dues, I would be on the phone screeming at someone...its your money being pissed away by people who get to tell you what color to paint your house, what type of shrubs to plant, etc. F$%k that. The Pen ( or Phone ) is mightier than the sword. If all else fails, put large stones and bolts scattered on your lawn to keep them busy the next time they come to Chop your lawn

KillJoy
09-14-2007, 09:02 AM
My thinking is if your paying home owner dues, I would be on the phone screeming at someone...its your money being pissed away by people who get to tell you what color to paint your house, what type of shrubs to plant, etc. F$%k that. The Pen ( or Phone ) is mightier than the sword. If all else fails, put large stones and bolts scattered on your lawn to keep them busy the next time they come to Chop your lawn

I like ^^^this^^^ guy. :D

Yes, I, along w/ others, feel our Association Dues are being pissed away, and Board Member's pockets are being lined.

Anyone want to buy a nice 1200+ sq ft home w/ a crappy looking lawn???

KillJoy

KillJoy
09-14-2007, 01:26 PM
I just got word that the lawn care company's contract WILL NOT be renewed at the end of this season.

:up:

KillJoy

ParkRanger
09-14-2007, 02:10 PM
KillJoy

If you are unable to control it - it's not your lawn.
If it's a severely complicated issue - try to forget it and relax and have a drink. :beer:

PR :burnout:

Mad1
09-15-2007, 09:11 PM
If it doesn't rain for more than three months ... you don't have to mow the grass at all.

Of course, I now have about 6-acres of "very" brown ground cover ... with nothing green as far as the eye can see, except for the major "green" strip that is growing over the leach field line.

And, Yes. My lawn now has a 4-foot tall green mohawk.

Jeremy
Mad1