PDA

View Full Version : Very special long overdue thanks to John

Motorhead350
09-16-2007, 12:03 AM
John sold me about 200 45s (vinyls) a few months back and sold me even more a few weeks ago. I can't think the man enough. Most of it is from my favorite era of music. Theres some funny old country songs, Doo Wop, REAL Rock n' Roll, Surf and so much more. They are all in mint condition and sound so beautiful because they were stored so well. They sound the best on my record player that is stuck on mono, but all of these were recorded on mono so it works out just fine. I must have probably over 400 45s now so I can honestly say I have more vinyl than compact disc. Here are some highlights:

Come on Little Angel -The Belmont (Without Dion!)
Mule Skinner Blues -The Fendermen (Best Country song ever!!!)
Judys Turn To Cry -Lesley Gore (So much better on vinyl than FM Oldies channel)
I'll Get You -Beatles (Early stuff is all I like)
Beyond The Sea, Dream Lover -Bobby Darin (Nothing needs to be said)
Diana -Paul Anka (I remember this one since I was alive)
Hanky Panky -Tommy James (A little too mid 60s for me, but I still like it and the B-side is a really cool surf song called Thunderbolt)
Poor Little Fool -Ricky Nelson (One of my favorite ballads of all time)
Only The Lonely -Roy Orbison (Best singer in Rock n' Roll period)
Almost Grown -Chuck Berry (Fits right in with my life right now)
My Blue Heaven -Fats Domino (So easy so sing along to this man)
409 -Beach Boys (Not the original, but it's still cool having a engine on vinyl and FYI it's a 348 Chevy on the intro not a 409)
Why Do Fools Fall In Love? -Frankie Lymon and The Teenager (This group was only around for about 18 months, here it is an original vinyl from 1956!)
Earth Angel -The Peguins (BEST DOO WOP SONG EVER)
Palisades Park -Freddy Boom Boom Cannon (Whatever happened to this song being on the radio?!)
California Sun -Joe Jones (original version few know about)
Rockin' The Joint -Esquerita (My favorite Rock N' Roll song of all time and I didn't even know of this song until I got it from John. I could totally picture myself going on a killing spree to this song and some of my friends said they could see me doing that to this song too and it should have been in Christine. If you don't know of this song and you are a music fan please find it now!!!)

SO here I sit listening to all these great songs of the past after a day of working at the restaurant and putting a new chrome bumper on my old school Chevy right before bed. Thanks again John.

Blackmobile
09-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Now that you've listened to both CD and 45, here's the question. When they were new , which one had the best sound quality,CD or 45?

The reason I pose this question is because I have some music on reel to reel (Santana to be exact and others) and what I remember, since I no longer have the tape player, is that the quality of the tapes beat the quality of CD's hands down.

Ed

fastblackmerc
09-16-2007, 08:50 AM
I could totally picture myself going on a killing spree to this song and some of my friends said they could see me doing that to this song too and it should have been in Christine.

What person in their right mind would post that?????

Stay away from me!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Your really sick....

I think it's time to up your meds.....

Mike Poore
09-16-2007, 08:51 AM
WOW! Dom, a flood of memories. I lived it, having graduated high school in 1959.

What? Am I really that old? :eek:

Blackmobile
09-16-2007, 09:02 AM
WOW! Dom, a flood of memories. I lived it, having graduated high school in 1959.

What? Am I really that old? :eek:

To put it a better way, you're just well seasoned.

Blackened300a
09-16-2007, 09:36 AM
What happened to that original version of "Hot Rod lincoln" that was included with that? :D:P

sailsmen
09-16-2007, 12:16 PM
I am any thing but your average guy and I have never thought of or imagined what you wrote, more or less picked out a song to do it to.

I hope for the sake of others you find a way to drive the demons from your mind.

Motorhead350
09-16-2007, 12:17 PM
What person in their right mind would post that?????

Stay away from me!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Your really sick....

I think it's time to up your meds.....

haha relax man. Sometimes we all hear a song and can see a vision. I would never go on a killing spree. I should have just said that song should have been in Christine and left it at that. :o

Hot Rod Lincoln was taken. :mad::D

Ed to answer your question 45's still sound better than CDs because a vinyl is more full. I don't remember the scale of sound quality measuement, but I know a CD was like a 13.3 to a vinyls 97. It was in a news article from last week. Cassette I do not believe is as good as vinyl nor do I think is as good as CD (wow am I saying this?) but the bottom line is the smaller the device the less of the quality. Thats why records sound better than CDs and CDs pretty much sound better than casettes.... ipods.... ya you get the idea. :cool:

sailsmen
09-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Seeing a vision and seeing yourself doing it are 2 totally different things.

Seeing yourself doing it means you want to do it. To make it your reality.

Self-fulling prophacy.

Motorhead350
09-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Do you guys really wanna keep going after me for something stupid I said at 2Am? I honestly don't care. It was stupid, I take it back, I'm moving on.

arejayesss
09-16-2007, 12:40 PM
haha relax man. Sometimes we all hear a song and can see a vision. I would never go on a killing spree. I should have just said that song should have been in Christine and left it at that. :o

Hot Rod Lincoln was taken. :mad::D

Ed to answer your question 45's still sound better than CDs because a vinyl is more full. I don't remember the scale of sound quality measuement, but I know a CD was like a 13.3 to a vinyls 97. It was in a news article from last week. Cassette I do not believe is as good as vinyl nor do I think is as good as CD (wow am I saying this?) but the bottom line is the smaller the device the less of the quality. Thats why records sound better than CDs and CDs pretty much sound better than casettes.... ipods.... ya you get the idea. :cool:

Actually, depending on who you ask, the tapes will sound better up against a CD. Shrinking down a recorded wave, the CD's wave will be digital and have a step-up curvature to it. The tape will be smooth and rounded out, thus ideally producing better sound. Of course, recording technology has advanced so much that a fuller sound can be recorded and replicated on CD, but same song on a tape will sound better than that song on CD. You may wonder if I have an entertainment center full of tapes, and a tape deck in my MM. Well no, primarily because of ease of use and storage capacity on iPods. JMHO

Motorhead350
09-16-2007, 12:44 PM
You may wonder if I have an entertainment center full of tapes, and a tape deck in my MM. Well no, primarily because of ease of use and storage capacity on iPods. JMHO

I always kinda thought tapes did sound better than CDs, but I don't know about that weird scale of measurement. As far as ipods.... I take quality over quanity anyday. Vinyls for life. ;)

Blackened300a
09-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Rockin' The Joint -Esquerita (My favorite Rock N' Roll song of all time and I didn't even know of this song until I got it from John. I could totally picture myself going on a killing spree to this song and some of my friends said they could see me doing that to this song too and it should have been in Christine. If you don't know of this song and you are a music fan please find it now!!!.

I just listened to it and its ok. Not worthy of Christine though. IMO

Motorhead350
09-16-2007, 12:52 PM
I just listened to it and its ok. Not worthy of Christine though. IMO

If you only heard a few seconds yes I would agree with you, but if you heard the whole thing it totally got me.

Blackened300a
09-16-2007, 01:00 PM
If you only heard a few seconds yes I would agree with you, but if you heard the whole thing it totally got me.

I listened to whole thing 3 times. Ill be happy to email it to you in MP3 if you like.

arejayesss
09-16-2007, 01:01 PM
I always kinda thought tapes did sound better than CDs, but I don't know about that weird scale of measurement. As far as ipods.... I take quality over quanity anyday. Vinyls for life. ;)

Ask Rich (magindat) about fitting a record player into your car, he's done it before. Just watch out for those bumps in the road!! Fits vertical in the center console area.

Motorhead350
09-16-2007, 01:09 PM
I listened to whole thing 3 times. Ill be happy to email it to you in MP3 if you like.

haha I got it on vinyl Paul! :D

Mike Poore
09-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Ask Rich (magindat) about fitting a record player into your car, he's done it before. Just watch out for those bumps in the road!! Fits vertical in the center console area.

You could actually get a 45 record player in a Dodge/Plymouth in '57,8,9,perhaps up to '60??? As I recall it was somehow integrated into the Glove Box, or part thereof. Recollection says it slid out on some sort of tray, or arms. In any case it didn't work worth a damn and never caught on. By 66/7 they had dealer installed 8 tracks, and they worked much better. I think we still have a bunch of those.

RCSignals
09-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Yes. Record players for autos show up from time to time on eBay and at Hemmings Motor News.

I don't suggest Dom gets one to play his valuable collection on though!

96DiamondVIII
09-17-2007, 02:48 PM
You could actually get a 45 record player in a Dodge/Plymouth in '57,8,9,perhaps up to '60??? As I recall it was somehow integrated into the Glove Box, or part thereof. Recollection says it slid out on some sort of tray, or arms. In any case it didn't work worth a damn and never caught on. By 66/7 they had dealer installed 8 tracks, and they worked much better. I think we still have a bunch of those.

I'm pretty sure you could also get them in VW beetles. Not sure on years though.

Motorhead350
09-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Yes. Record players for autos show up from time to time on eBay and at Hemmings Motor News.

I don't suggest Dom gets one to play his valuable collection on though!

It would be cool to have for a car show to sit with, but not while driving. If I can find something I would get it in a second.... tailgate and listen to records. :cool:

Pops
09-18-2007, 06:14 AM
It would be easy to do it if you put a stereo in with a aux. input and added a power inverter. You could also use a FM modulator and not change the stereo. The cost would not be very high.

RF Overlord
09-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Pristine (and I do mean PRISTINE) vinyl has a very warm rich sound to it that is missing from CDs. However, I have some remastered Beatles CDs where I can hear things you cannot on the vinyl. Case in point, that long E chord at the end of "A Day in the Life"...it was done using 3 (IIRC) pianos simultaneously and towards the end you can hear someone shift on their bench on the CD, but not on the vinyl.

As to the sound quality of 45s, they could be quite good if played on a turntable that was optimised for them. Unfortunately, most turntables were (and ARE) optimised for 33 1/3 RPM 12-inch discs and have the wrong tone-arm tracking angle and the wrong stylus size and shape to do justice to a 45. Also, many 45s were mastered with cutter heads that were purposely overdriven to make playback louder on cheap record players, thus making the distortion much higher as well.

Motorhead350
09-18-2007, 12:29 PM
:eek: Thank you for the info Bob!

MM03MOK
09-18-2007, 12:50 PM
:eek: Thank you for the info Bob!
Yep! RF AudioLord! :D

Pops
09-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Mary does he know what a DBX is?

RF Overlord
09-18-2007, 03:21 PM
dbx used to be in Waltham, MA eons ago and I had a tour of the factory back in the early '80s. We used a lot of their compressor/limiters in the studios I built back then. All hail the mighty 160!

Breadfan
09-18-2007, 03:44 PM
FYI regarding MP3's and iPods...

First, iPod is the name of Apple's MP3 player, you can get other MP3/Media players from companies such as Creative, contrary to popular fads, these are not iPods.

Second, MP3 quality is relative to the sampling rate/bit rate. Most come in at 128k and that is OK quality but no where near good enough for an audiophile. You can do MP3 all the way up to 512k and 320 doesn't sound bad at all. The impact is more size required for each file.

Another alternative is the OGG Vorbis standard which many say returns higher quality audio.

ACC is the version of lossy compression used by Apple for iTunes and also offers digital rights management, it doesn't have much value for people digitizing their collection.

MP3 and OGG are "loss" compression meaning it's shrinking the dataset to make a smaller data file. The whole idea is cutting out or limiting parts of frequencies that you cannot hear as well. The higher the bitrate the less loss that will occur.

An alternative is to keep them at .wav format which is CD quality and lossless but 74mins=650mb. But that's still over 120 CD's on an 80gb media player. Using highest quality MP3 and OGG you'll fit plenty on 80gb and have very good quality in the palm of your hand.

You should learn how to hook up the 45's to your computer, digitize them and archive on CD and MP3 or OGG, then you can take them with you and not damage the originals - keep those safe and sound and played only when you really want to use the vinyl.

I understand the prospect of having an iPod and downloading mediocre quality singles off iTunes doesn't get you going - it doesn't do anything for me either. But there's other methods for enjoying music digitally and can give you some good audio quality with great portability.

FYI though to do analog to digital on your home PC you'll want a high quality PC Audio card, something that can sample the recording well beyond CD quality. Look at offerings from M-Audio and Creatives top end stuff isn't too bad. A cheap VIA Envy24 "Vinyl" cihpset isn't bad for only a few bucks but will not offer the warmth of tone even if on paper it shows the sampling cabailities, the DAC's vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I think even some offer cards with a vacuum tube onboard to try and bring back some of the warmth of old tube amps.

MM03MOK
09-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Mary does he know what a DBX is?

dbx used to be in Waltham, MA eons ago and I had a tour of the factory back in the early '80s. We used a lot of their compressor/limiters in the studios I built back then. All hail the mighty 160!
Our first CD player was made by dbx. Ask RF about the travel adventures he seeks out on holiday.....it's not window shopping or a pub hop.......it's knocking on the door of a very famous recording studio in London and getting the Grand Tour (sorry, not Abbey Road) but it does begin with an "A"!!!

Motorhead350
09-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Wow Breadfan why didn't we have a conversation like this at Marauder Ville Five? If you play an instrument we seriously have to jam next time. :cool:

Pops
09-19-2007, 05:44 AM
Great answer RF! Not many people know what they are. I still have a 160 and it works fine.

Breadfan
09-19-2007, 07:10 AM
Wow Breadfan why didn't we have a conversation like this at Marauder Ville Five? If you play an instrument we seriously have to jam next time. :cool:

Good question, it would've been a good conversation I think. :) Part of the problem was me at MV5, I had no one to watch my dog so I commuted to the events I was at. I missed a lot of the fun after the events and at night since I went home afterwards. I still had a blast but feel I probably missed a little by commuting.

It's funny for whatever reason I was a real late-comer to the MP3 player, but part of that reason was knowing it's potential I wanted to do it right. That being said in my other life I'm a computer guru and years ago build a small server and began converting my CDs to MP3 format on the harddrive. I ran a TV cable to my television and had a wireless remote, hooked the audio to my stereo and used it as a jukebox. I could even play the Winamp visualiation effects on the TV if I had people over.

Thinking about it, that was like a high tech juke box, what you need for those 45's is to find yourself an old school jukebox and load those puppys up!

Motorhead350
09-19-2007, 11:05 AM
It's funny for whatever reason I was a real late-comer to the MP3 player

What's that? :D

A jukebox sounds real nice. Maybe for my birthday!