PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Mobile, AL?

ixlr8
09-17-2007, 09:22 AM
I was considering taking a job out there later this year and wondering what it's like there. I heard it was a nice city. Any information is appreciated!

Sharky
09-17-2007, 07:17 PM
I have never lived there, but for many years I passed through there every two weeks on my way to and from Louisiana (used to work in the oilfields). I dated a woman from Robertsdale for a few years so I'm more familiar with the east side of Mobile Bay. Mobile is OK, like anywhere else there are good areas and bad. Most of it is suburbia, and there is a fairly big downtown area.

If you are a boater you will be in heaven. If you're into hunting, you don't have to go very far to get to prime deer hunting land. There are very nice sugar-white-sand beaches a couple hours away on Perdido Key (on the east side of the bay). The Mardi Gras parades in downtown Mobile are as good as if not better than New Orleans'. :cool:

Word of advice: if you move there, choose a home on the same side of the bay as you work on. Depending on a bridge to get to work when you live in a hurricane zone is risky business. ;)

fastblackmerc
09-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Might want to ask "will anyone admit to living in Mobile"!! :lol:

JK... I hear it's a nice place.

ixlr8
09-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Word of advice: if you move there, choose a home on the same side of the bay as you work on. Depending on a bridge to get to work when you live in a hurricane zone is risky business. ;)

Now that's the kind of stuff I need to hear! Thanks! :beer:

lwblumjr
09-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Ixlr8,

I live in the Pensacola, FL area not too far from Mobile. There are certain areas around Mobile you probably would not want to live in like Prichard. But there are some very nice places to live on the East side of Mobile Bay like Spanish Fort, Malbis, and Daphne. Let us know if you do decide to move to the area.

Vortex
09-22-2007, 08:55 AM
I was an instructor at the Naval Reserve Center there from 1979-1982 and loved it. Its big enough where it has everything but small enough that it doesnt have traffic! Mobile is where Mardi Gras started and they have better celebrations there than in New Orleans. The best seafood (esp. oysters and shrimp) in the USA. Its not expensive, housing is reasonable. You are close to the north Florida beaches but dont have to live right on them. The only downside is you can get a hurricane there (just like anywhere else on the gulf or Florida). I was in Frederick in 79 which pretty much knocked out power for about 3 weeks. If my relatives werent all here in Texas, thats where Id live.

ixlr8
11-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Ixlr8,

I live in the Pensacola, FL area not too far from Mobile. There are certain areas around Mobile you probably would not want to live in like Prichard. But there are some very nice places to live on the East side of Mobile Bay like Spanish Fort, Malbis, and Daphne. Let us know if you do decide to move to the area.

O.K. guys...looks like the move is on. For those of you who don't know, I'm an aerospace engineer going to work for Airbus. PLEASE let me know if anyone has any apartments to recommend that are family friendly.

lwblumjr
11-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Ixlr8,

Have a look for yourself:

http://www.mobileapartmentguide.com/ I hope this helps.

Crown Vicman
11-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Some parts of mobile are nice but whatever you do, don't take your marauder to Prichard.

ixlr8
11-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Ixlr8,

Have a look for yourself:

http://www.mobileapartmentguide.com/ I hope this helps.

Thanks!!!!!!

ixlr8
11-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Some parts of mobile are nice but whatever you do, don't take your marauder to Prichard.

And that would be because????????:confused:

lwblumjr
11-01-2007, 06:55 PM
And that would be because????????:confused:

Ixlr8,

Here is a little info on Prichard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prichard,_Alabama

ixlr8
11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Ixlr8,

Here is a little info on Prichard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prichard,_Alabama

Ouch...I hear you.;)

ixlr8
12-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Ixlr8,

I found a great house out in Daphne for rent. So that's where I'm staying now - just a hop away from Pensacola! I'm leaving this weekend in a rental car to go home to Savannah and bring everything back in the U-Tote. The wife will be following in the Marauder because I left her there for three weeks whilst I got everything set up here. I miss my baby! Oh, and err, the wife too.....