PDA

View Full Version : All these damn spiders

Aren Jay
09-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Just killed another one in my livingroom.

The thing ran right at me.

Yeah they aren't huge, 4 to 5" across, but you see them out of the corner of your eye and it is just a blur on the carpet. I killed 4 last year, this is the first this year, it is disappointing as I thought I plugged up all the holes.

I'm seeing spiders everywhere right now, only they aren't spiders.

Oh well atleast they are not those damn killer bees I ran into in Japan.

RCSignals
09-17-2007, 11:11 PM
4-5" across? say what??

Aren Jay
09-17-2007, 11:31 PM
span of their legs not their bodies (bodies are about 1 inch in diameter). The spiders we had at college in England were 7-8 inches across their legs, they were freaky.

Mind you these are the largest spiders I have ever seen in Canada.

knine
09-18-2007, 05:22 AM
I think somebody slipped you a "Mickey". :loco:

Mike Poore
09-18-2007, 05:26 AM
Hey, I feel your pain ...those things freak me out. :hide:

Hopefully you never encounter the dreaded Brown Recluse. :eek:

knine
09-18-2007, 05:41 AM
Got dog? Those carnivorous critters eat everything in site, spiders and tigers and bears, oh my! Mine haul in about a dozen apples from the orchard and leave them on the floor, then chuckel with delight when I slide on them and fall. Dalmatians can smile, mine laugh at me............I swear !!!

Zack
09-18-2007, 05:43 AM
Go find one of those trees that drop those huge bumpy green things out of em' and bring a few back to the house.
Keeps spiders away, seriously.

knine
09-18-2007, 05:49 AM
Go find one of those trees that drop those huge bumpy green things out of em' and bring a few back to the house.
Hedge apples?

I've heard that works. Never tried it though. This is funny. Zack trying to describe something found on a farm is like me trying to describe something with my car.:lol:

MERCMAN
09-18-2007, 05:51 AM

Huge bumpy green things??

You better stick to engines, your horticultural descriptions would make any botonist(or weekend gardener) cringe with pain.:flamer:

ckadiddle
09-18-2007, 06:14 AM
Time for a pump shotgun. :)

I shipped Florida spiders up there to youse guys last year. heh heh heh

VAmarauder03
09-18-2007, 06:40 AM

We have quite a few of those around here

JVJ
09-18-2007, 08:05 AM
It's time to do some "SERIOUS BOMBING"! Then get the HELL on out of there. That will take care of them and any other critters.

magindat
09-18-2007, 08:12 AM
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1997/10-10-1997/hedgeapple.html

no scientific evidence for pest control...

CanadaMarauder
09-18-2007, 08:22 AM
I fould one of these on the front Marauder wheel last week..
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/19582.jpg

Black widows...not nice

P.S. I think it's chestnut tree's that keep the spiders away

ctrlraven
09-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Get some mint oil and mix it with white vinegar in a spray bottle then spray it around the outside of your house, worked for me. I had a major spider problem, all different types from the common brown spider to brown recluse and even black widows. Haven't seen any in the past few weeks and all the spider webs around the outside of my house are gone.

Motorhead350
09-18-2007, 09:39 AM
One bit me a few nights ago. I never kill them because they keep my bugs out.

Dragcity
09-18-2007, 10:09 AM
They taste through their legs, I think. Mint oil would prolly be enough to keep 'em off....

ctrlraven
09-18-2007, 12:15 PM
They taste through their legs, I think. Mint oil would prolly be enough to keep 'em off....

Yep, the vinegar helps the mint oil stay on whatever you spray it onto, otherwise the mint oil will just lay on top and wash away with the next rain. It's rained 3 good days since I sprayed and still haven't seen any webs. I think I'll do another round this up coming weekend.

I was doing some landscaping the other weekend ago and came across a nest of black widows, about pissed myself. Went and got the lighter fluid, give them about 10 shots and :flamer:. I've already been bitten by a brown recluse before and I got real lucky the venom got trapped in a muscle pocket and didn't do any damage but had a nice horrible softball size bruise on my leg for 2 weeks.

LordVader
09-19-2007, 06:40 AM
When we were in Texas we used to spray the foundation outside every three months and inside every six months to keep the "creepy crawlies" away and it worked...no bugs.

Dr Caleb
09-19-2007, 09:47 AM

Nope, not this far North. We do have Black and Brown Widows, but bee stings are harsher.

D2CC, are you finding Jewell Spiders? Those are the largest in Alberta. Quite pretty - totally harmless and really good at catching bugs. The females will get bodies about the size of your thumb, legs about a finger across.

The other ones you might be describing are called 'Harvestmen'. Round, brown body long spindly legs. Some people mistakenly call them 'Daddy long Legs'. But, only 6 legs and the body isn't segmented - they aren't spiders. They are related to Mosquitos.

Harvestmen:

http://www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/natural/insects/bugsfaq/pics/img0022.jpg

Jewell: (attached)

Dr Caleb
09-19-2007, 09:51 AM

Black widows...not nice

The colder the climate, the less intense the venom. Probably wouldn't even get a bump out of a bite from that little girl.

As an aside - that hourglass would look really cool as a graphic on the back window and trunk of a Marauder . . .

Aren Jay
09-19-2007, 10:56 AM
You can always put a red hourglass on the underside of your black cars.

You and your mechanic would know.

ledzilla
09-19-2007, 11:22 AM
I have several very large juniper bushes in my front yard. Every summer they fill up with spiders. I think they're wolf spiders, but I could be mistaken. They aren't big, but they're pretty mean looking.

MinnesotaMuscle
09-21-2007, 09:37 AM
that hourglass would look really cool as a graphic on the back window and trunk of a Marauder . . .

HMMMMM the wheels are turning......... :hmmm::thinker:

fastblackmerc
09-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Check this out:

http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html

Aren Jay
10-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Got another one thing morning. They are mostly like the hobo or grass spiders, although could be wolf spiders. except they are bigger.

JVJ
10-05-2007, 07:33 AM
How about this spider?, It's called a camel spider found in the middle east.http://www.badspiderbites.com/images/camel_spider.jpg

ckadiddle
10-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Watch out for "Barking Spiders".

Dr Caleb
10-05-2007, 10:10 AM
How about this spider?, It's called a camel spider found in the middle east.

Not a spider. It's an arachnid. Like Scorpions. 8 legs, but no webbing.

Nasty f-ers though.

ImpalaSlayer
10-05-2007, 01:26 PM
this thread is makin me itchy. i hate running into spiderwebs in the woods and such.blahhh

Aren Jay
10-05-2007, 02:00 PM
There is a desert spider, big mother that excretes a numbing venom when it bites you and you don't even know it is chewing on you while you sleep.

I saw it on a movie, don't know if it is true.

Sully008
10-05-2007, 02:16 PM
When I moved into my house last year there were a lot of spiders living in the basement. I shop vac'd the entire basement, getting into all the little nooks and crannies to clean out the webs. How did I keep the spiders from returning???

Lemon Pledge. It may sound silly, but I sprayed that in every little crack and crevice that I could find, and it keeps them away. I usually respray every 6 months or so. We've been spider free ever since.

RoyLPita
10-05-2007, 04:43 PM
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/19582.jpg

Black widows...not nice

I saw one of those close up in a saran-wrapped package of grapes at the supermarket that I worked at while in college.

Aren Jay
10-09-2007, 11:37 AM
I got another one last night, It was a big wolf spider this time. About 2 inches long in the body. I had to hit it about 5 times to kill it, tough little bugger.

Mike Poore
10-09-2007, 01:10 PM
One bit me a few nights ago. I never kill them because they keep my bugs out.

So, that was that "thing" on your neck, then? :rolleyes:

Aren Jay
10-09-2007, 09:13 PM
I say kill them all, let the bug god sort them out.

Hacklemerc
10-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Its called a camel spider. When I was inIraq I saw a bunch of those. We used to catch them and put them in buckets with scorpions and watch them fight. I almost layed down on one once. Picture a soldier, full combat gear, rifle, all the goodies, jumping up and ruinning, screaming like a school girl. I hate spiders.

There is a desert spider, big mother that excretes a numbing venom when it bites you and you don't even know it is chewing on you while you sleep.

I saw it on a movie, don't know if it is true.

CBT
10-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Its called a camel spider. When I was inIraq I saw a bunch of those. We used to catch them and put them in buckets with scorpions and watch them fight. I almost layed down on one once. Picture a soldier, full combat gear, rifle, all the goodies, jumping up and ruinning, screaming like a school girl. I hate spiders.

LOL!! I hate 'em, too. A brown recluse got me when I was stationed in Jax Fla, I have a super groovy scar about the size of a quarter to remind me why I hate spiders so much. Nasty muth@fmmhmm's.

Mad1
10-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I was cleaning up around the pool in preparation to close it. And when I flipped over the base of the umbrella stand I found a Black Widow spider about the size of my thumb.

I don't worry about me so much as the grandkids, because I find black widows near the pool all the time.

At work and inside, it's all about those brown recluses. Those suckers are everywhere ... so much so that we've had the office sprayed and trapped several times this year.

Mad1
Jeremy

P.S. My favorite superhero is Spider Man.