PDA

View Full Version : The meaning of the Pledge Of Alligence

OneBADLsE
09-23-2007, 11:27 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kfz2XDXaeqc&mode=related&search=

I bring you this great video....please enjoy.

jgc61sr2002
09-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Excellent.:flag::2thumbs: Thanks

blackf0rk
09-23-2007, 07:16 PM
I don't pledge my allegiance to any flag. Ever hear of idolatry? I exact exclusive devotion to my creator - not a flag, country, or person.

Bigdogjim
09-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Still true even today:up:

MinnesotaMuscle
09-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Always loved red, have a collection of his shows on VHS, good stuff....

Aren Jay
09-24-2007, 09:49 AM
In Canada we don't pledge loyalty to any idol, flag country any such thing. We pledge loyalty to the HRH as the case maybe.

OneBADLsE
09-24-2007, 01:03 PM
I don't pledge my allegiance to any flag. Ever hear of idolatry? I exact exclusive devotion to my creator - not a flag, country, or person.

Nice. :bs:

OneBADLsE
09-24-2007, 01:04 PM

For some of us anyhow, eh Jim?

1of327
09-24-2007, 01:13 PM
I just Got chills...it's very sad how many people in The great don't feel that level of patriotism anymore...

Dr Caleb
09-24-2007, 03:19 PM
In Canada we don't pledge loyalty to any idol, flag country any such thing. We pledge loyalty to the HRH as the case maybe.

Her Majesty is head of the Church of England . . ;)

If people think we aren't patriotic, go to a hockey game. US games have a tradition of someone singing the first verse of the national anthem, in their own particular style. In Edmonton at least, we all sing it. Loudly, too. No deviation is permitted for style.

When I was young, it was common to recite The Lord's Prayer in school. That's about as close as we get to an 'oath of loyalty'.

03SILVERSTREAK
09-24-2007, 06:44 PM

^^^ What he said:2thumbs::2thumbs: .

sailsmen
09-24-2007, 07:47 PM

Pledge - a binding promise or agreement to do or forbear

Allegiance - the fidelity owed by a subject or citizen to a sovereign or government

Flag - a usually rectangular piece of fabric of distinctive design that is used as a symbol (as of a nation)

Idolatry - the worship of a physical object as a god

Devotion - religious fervor

It is what it says it is.

"The Pledge of Allegiance was first recited in 1892, the year it was first written. The author was Francis Bellamy, a Baptist minister from New York. Bellamy was also a chairman of a committee of state superintendents of education in the National Education Association.
Public schools all around the country were preparing a celebration in honor of the 400th anniversary of Columbus Day. Bellamy wanted a special celebration, and he wanted to center it around a flag-raising ceremony and salute. With this in mind, he wrote his pledge"

Aren Jay
09-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Her Majesty is head of the Church of England . . ;)

If people think we aren't patriotic, go to a hockey game. US games have a tradition of someone singing the first verse of the national anthem, in their own particular style. In Edmonton at least, we all sing it. Loudly, too. No deviation is permitted for style.

When I was young, it was common to recite The Lord's Prayer in school. That's about as close as we get to an 'oath of loyalty'.

I remember singing the National Anthem in school when I was little.
The True North Strong and Free one.

They sing both at some important intellectual events, they did at my Sisters Graduation party when she became a doctor.

Dr Caleb
09-27-2007, 10:13 AM
I remember singing the National Anthem in school when I was little.
The True North Strong and Free one.

They sing both at some important intellectual events, they did at my Sisters Graduation party when she became a doctor.

Both anthems? 'Oh, Canada' and 'The Maple Leaf Forever'?

At Legion meetings, we also sing 'God Save the Queen' at the conclusion. Or, was that the other anthem?