PDA

View Full Version : Rust on inside bottom of doors - check yours!

MMM2003
09-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Hey:

I just noticed rust on the bottom inside of all my doors. The driver rear side is the worst. I actually have rust holes and several exposed sections, just below the door panel where the metal is folded over on the bottom of the door.

I know it's a FORD, but this just doesn't seem right for a 5-year old vehicle! I'll have to check my warranty and the "rust protection" package I got when I purchased the vehicle.

Does anyone else have this? As always, I expect no help of warranty coverage from FORD or my dealer. Any ideas on how fix this without replacing the whole door?

I have 121K miles on it and drove it all year round in WI winters and summers.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter aka MMM2003

RoyLPita
09-24-2007, 10:20 AM
If your warranty start date is under 5 years, take it in.

Leadfoot281
09-24-2007, 11:51 AM
You drive it year around in Wisconsin and you're surprised you have rust after 5 years?

Generally when rust gets between the door skin (the part that is "folded over") and the door it's shot. Even if that folded over section starts getting fat or starts swelling up, it's all done.

I DON'T work in a body shop. I did however work in a salavge yard and we considered those doors shot. Maybe some one else will chime in with better news, but I think you need some new doors.

Pops
09-24-2007, 11:55 AM
I spent most of my life working and owning body shops. You have it correct Leadfoot. The bad part is what new panels cost plus the cost of painting and installation. Sometimes you its cheaper to buy a different car. Most rust warraty stops at 100,000 miles. Good luck with your problem.

rlbforum
09-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Wow, must be a sign. My MM is my daily driver. Live near chicago. I washed car this weekend and noticed the same thing on the same door.

I always take this one to the car wash but decided to wash by hand this weekend. As I was wiping under doors I noticed rust in the seam area under the driver's rear.

I was going to post something here and saw yours. My guess is the dealer will pull the if it is not thru rust your SOL! Can't seem to get most things fixed unless you know the dealer service manager. Headlight moisture, rattles squeaks etc.

Ken
09-24-2007, 12:50 PM
I was going to try Neutra-Rust or some other rust converter on my 99 F-150 doors to see if that will slow down the progress. My MM has never been out in the snow or salt, so nothing yet.

Ken

snowbird
09-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Up here, we shoot a mix of oil and wax called rust protect every year (undercarriage, doors, everywhere except the top) and stop 90% of the phenomenon. It doesn't leak or smell but leave a texture similar to partly frozen grease. It is messy when you touch it though.

In WI, I assume you have just about similar weather and if not treated yearly, I'm not surprized at all the results you have after 5 years. In urban areas, they use more sand, salt calcium and tiny rocks. The tiny rocks mixture is the worst for cars.

Lowell
09-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Up here, we shoot a mix of oil and wax called rust protect every year (undercarriage, doors, everywhere except the top) and stop 90% of the phenomenon. It doesn't leak or smell but leave a texture similar to partly frozen grease. It is messy when you touch it though.

In WI, I assume you have just about similar weather and if not treated yearly, I'm not surprized at all the results you have after 5 years. In urban areas, they use more sand, salt calcium and tiny rocks. The tiny rocks mixture is the worst for cars.
Find a rustproofer that uses Texaco-L. A greasy waxy oily substance. Drains into pinch welds, creeps up like an oil. Best $250.00 you can spend. Find a rustproofer that removes interior panels, no holes drilled. MM 5 years daily driver, no rust. 95 suburban 12 yrs daily driver no rust. Yes Michigan uses salt on the roads.

Cougar_Marauder
09-24-2007, 05:13 PM
I also live in WI and have some bubbles at the bottom of a couple doors, no holes though. I dont plan on driving it in winter, or in any bad weather now that I have a 2nd car. I noticed that the water seems not to drain too well in those areas and even gets up under the little plastic step things. the drain holes all look good and clear, and the weatherstriping looks good. Maybe you should check those areas after rain/washing to help prevent further damage.

RUSTY
09-24-2007, 05:56 PM
I have my car oil sprayed every second year before the winter. I have some rust spots on the frame but not any on the body except under the rubber on the chrome trim around the front side windows

freakstatus
09-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Is it possible to sand down the rust and re-paint?

1stMerc
09-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Is it possible to sand down the rust and re-paint?

Get a set of the small wire brushes, fine grit sandpaper or 000 steelwool and a can of Dupli-Color Rust Fix before you paint. The Rust Fix stops the rust and converts it to primer and usually lasts longer than the other metal around it.

MMM2003
09-24-2007, 07:46 PM
I spent most of my life working and owning body shops. You have it correct Leadfoot. The bad part is what new panels cost plus the cost of painting and installation. Sometimes you its cheaper to buy a different car. Most rust warraty stops at 100,000 miles. Good luck with your problem.

Hey:

Thanks for all the replies. I checked the $1,395 Rust proofing warranty that came with my car and it is good for 6 years on surface rust and 10 years on rust through. No mention of mileage (I do have over 121k miles on her).

We'll see how this plays out. Would be first time I actually got the benefits of an "extended" warranty package.

I'll report later and post some pic's.

Thanks,

Peter

larryo340
09-24-2007, 09:11 PM
I do believe if you bought it new from FORD it should be covered for 5 years from warranty start date with unlimited mileage for rust thru, I don't think they will cover surface rust.

RCSignals
09-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Good news on the rust proofing warranty Peter. I hope they stand by it.

Aren Jay
09-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Wouldn't a Crown Vic rear door fit the Marauder?

You must be able to pick them up cheap at a salvage/wrecker place.
If you are lucky you might find one the same colour.

Besides if it is rust then you have a choice bondo it and live with it, replacing it when it fails or replace it now.

Big Joe P
09-25-2007, 02:30 AM
Wasn't there an issue with most of these cars having tape over the drain holes in the bottom of the doors? I remember taking tape off of mine right after I bought it.....

fastcar
09-25-2007, 05:09 AM
I've lived in New England my whole life. Dude, I figured out a LONG time ago if you want a car not to rust, DON'T DRIVE IT THROUGH THE SNOW! I don't care if you drive a MERCEDES or a FORD, they all rust out eventually under these conditions.

I decided as soon as I got mine I WOULD NOT DRIVE IT IN THE WINTER since I loved it. I will buy a WINTER BEATER cheap. Probably a mid 90s Lincoln Mark VIII with high mileage for around $1000. You can find CVs even cheaper.

Our cars are NOT made out of stainless steel.

If you love ANY CAR you WILL NOT DRIVE IT THROUGH A NASTY, SALTY, ICEY WINTER. PERIOD.

I urge every member who own a PRISTINE SOUTHERN OR WESTERN MM TO PLEASE SAVE IT, AND DO NOT RUIN IT WITH WINTER DRIVING. There is NO excuse. Where there is a will, there is a way. ANYONE who can afford one of these cars can afford a $500 winter beater.

fastcar:burnout:

Dragcity
09-25-2007, 06:22 AM
Has anyone considered POR-15. I have a small can, I guess I should use it.

Yes, mine has the beginings of potential problems. Very faint powdering of rust in the seam of outer/inner door roll. Ford should have done a better job with that edge. My 90 Lincoln Town Car had a bead of some sort covering that edge. Had that car for 12 years and no problems. It IS possible to keep rust at bay. It's all in the design and prep.

I hear this POR-15 is good stuff. I'll give it a whirl.

96DiamondVIII
09-25-2007, 08:10 AM
I urge every member who own a PRISTINE SOUTHERN OR WESTERN MM TO PLEASE SAVE IT, AND DO NOT RUIN IT WITH WINTER DRIVING. There is NO excuse. Where there is a will, there is a way. ANYONE who can afford one of these cars can afford a $500 winter beater.

See, the nice thing about living in the south, is that (with rare exceptions) winter driving around here doesn't really ruin cars. We usually see salt on the roads maybe twice per winter. After the salt has gone away the car gets a thorough wash, including the undercarriage. This is how I can use my MM as a year-round daily driver and not have guilt issues. :) My other car (currently inoperable, unfortunately) is a '79 Chevy Malibu that saw year-round daily service here in central NC for 22 years and 174,000 miles, and only one door out of 4 has rust issues (and none of the lower fenders or frame do). Not too shabby, especially when you consider GM's notorious late 70's quality control (or lack thereof).

CBT
09-25-2007, 08:30 AM
I have my car oil sprayed every second year before the winter. I have some rust spots on the frame but not any on the body except under the rubber on the chrome trim around the front side windows

...and you call your self Rusty? Blasphemy!!:D

MMM2003
09-25-2007, 10:29 AM
I do believe if you bought it new from FORD it should be covered for 5 years from warranty start date with unlimited mileage for rust thru, I don't think they will cover surface rust.

It's not through FORD. It was an "add-on" by the dealer through a company called ecpinc.net.

It's 10 years rust perforation; 6 years surface rust protection; 6 year environmental panit protection. (Maybe I'll get the bird dropping spots fixed at the same time)

Thanks,

Peter

MMM2003
09-25-2007, 10:32 AM
I've lived in New England my whole life. Dude, I figured out a LONG time ago if you want a car not to rust, DON'T DRIVE IT THROUGH THE SNOW! I don't care if you drive a MERCEDES or a FORD, they all rust out eventually under these conditions.

I decided as soon as I got mine I WOULD NOT DRIVE IT IN THE WINTER since I loved it. I will buy a WINTER BEATER cheap. Probably a mid 90s Lincoln Mark VIII with high mileage for around $1000. You can find CVs even cheaper.

Our cars are NOT made out of stainless steel.

If you love ANY CAR you WILL NOT DRIVE IT THROUGH A NASTY, SALTY, ICEY WINTER. PERIOD.

fastcar:burnout:

Hey:

I love my car and don't want to drive anything else, not even in the winter. I just don't think that any vehicle should develop that kind of rust in such a short period of time. No matter what the conditions are.

BTW, my wife owns and has been driving a 1995 BMW325 in the same conditions and there isn't a spot of rust anywhere.

Thanks,

Peter

larryo340
09-25-2007, 10:38 AM
It's not through FORD. It was an "add-on" by the dealer through a company called ecpinc.net.

It's 10 years rust perforation; 6 years surface rust protection; 6 year environmental panit protection. (Maybe I'll get the bird dropping spots fixed at the same time)

Thanks,

Peter
I understand what extended warranty you have, but I was stating Fords' warranty for rust.

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Has anyone considered POR-15. I have a small can, I guess I should use it.

Yes, mine has the beginings of potential problems. Very faint powdering of rust in the seam of outer/inner door roll. Ford should have done a better job with that edge. My 90 Lincoln Town Car had a bead of some sort covering that edge. Had that car for 12 years and no problems. It IS possible to keep rust at bay. It's all in the design and prep.

I hear this POR-15 is good stuff. I'll give it a whirl.

Same here, my 93 TownCar was driven year round since 93, through harsh chicago winters and all. It has barely started to show signs of rust and bubbling in the paint only in some spots, after 14 years.

ctrlraven
09-25-2007, 01:00 PM
What is Ford's take on the factory rust warranty?

Cause I've had this going on for about a year now on the rear driver's side door (on the body itself)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/DSCF1294Medium.jpg

Marauderjack
09-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Mine is pitted like that and it is because of it being sandblasted since the door closes a little too far!!:confused:

Adjust the trailing edge of the door outward and the sandblasting will stop....then just touch it up!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

Aren Jay
09-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Are we talking about the door or the door frame?

larryo340
09-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Mine is pitted like that and it is because of it being sandblasted since the door closes a little too far!!:confused:

Adjust the trailing edge of the door outward and the sandblasting will stop....then just touch it up!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:
^^^^^^^^^Ditto

1stMerc
09-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Wasn't there an issue with most of these cars having tape over the drain holes in the bottom of the doors? I remember taking tape off of mine right after I bought it.....

I had the same thing.

69mach1
09-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Salt on the roads...rust??? what is that? :P

larryo340
09-25-2007, 08:56 PM
:hmmm: I'd like to see " Overhaulin' " do a car from the northeast in a week ! :rofl:

MACFORD88
09-25-2007, 10:43 PM
I Checked Mine No Rust On Mine.o I Forgot I Live In So Cali No Rust

Paul
09-27-2007, 04:00 AM

After reading this thread yesterday I checked my car and found that each door had tape over one of the two drain holes at the bottom. It was consistently on the leading edge drain (closest to front of car). The pieces were identical in size and shape, and all had an identical small cutout in the center. It looks like they were intended to decrease the size of the opening.

Questions: - why would Ford do this? Is it wise or foolish to remove these tapes? I found dirt accumulated behind mine, moist dirt, so I took them off. No rust, thank God.

1stMerc
09-27-2007, 05:07 AM
Also i found had to open doors, after washing car while parked on street. Accumalates in the curve part of door, on side closes to curb due to construction of road for drainage.

jonroe
09-27-2007, 05:29 AM
I checked mine last night - pristine. I have driven it in light winter driving (Northern VA) for 3 seasons. It's light winter in that we don't have much snow but we do have LOTS of salt. I do try to get the salt washed off at every opportunity during the winter. Luckily, here, it warms up several times during the winter to allow lots of car washing.

When I first got mine there was lots of talk about the taped up drain holes. I took all the tape pieces off immediately.

Canadasvt
09-27-2007, 05:41 AM
****ing California ****ing *******! :bigcry:

MMM2003
11-13-2007, 04:52 PM

Thanks,

Peter

Just heard back from the insurance company.
They will cover the repair on all four doors. This was as an add-on insurance the dealer "made" me buy, since the "super secret ever-lasting rust protection" was already applied when I purchased it. At least the insurance payment offets what I paid for the coverage 5 years ago.

This is "repair" only, not door replacement. Supposedly, if it comes back it would be covered by the dealer or the insurance company again (within 10 years). They plan to beadblast the rusty sections, repair as needed, and repaint.

Thanks,

Peter