PDA

View Full Version : Adding A/C?

Raudermaster
09-28-2007, 08:45 PM
So, I've still been looking at other vehicles just in case the Subie I'm throwing together ends up in pieces. I'm leaning towards a 4x4 truck, none really peak my interest since most of them exceed 130k and wanted this to last me for a while. I found a '98 Ranger 4x4 5 spd XLT, loaded with all options EXCEPT A/C! The price is right too with under 90k on it and is in good condition. Would adding A/C be a b!tch to do? And costly?

sicilianmarquis
09-28-2007, 09:57 PM
setting up the Hvac system prolly wouldnt be all that hard but the electrical and hooking up the controllers would prolly suck

jgc61sr2002
09-29-2007, 05:50 AM
You can have and aftermarket unit installed. I think it one unit is called vintage air. Don't know the cost.

Raudermaster
09-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Vintage Air only deals with old cars, hence the Vintage part.

baltimoremm
09-29-2007, 08:30 AM
here you go, problem solved, see attached pic.

larryo340
09-29-2007, 01:06 PM
If it is your winter car, who cares about A/C? ;)

Years back the authorized FORD dealer installed accessories had the A/C kits for those trucks. I think it would be hard to find a kit today. I would start by asking the dealer if thier installer could still get a kit.

Mike
09-29-2007, 10:34 PM
here you go, problem solved, see attached pic.

:lol::lol: Now that's funny!! :lol::lol:

Raudermaster
09-30-2007, 09:44 AM
LOL. I've seen stuff like that before. Larry, I actually found a website that sells OEM factory units with you need to install an A/C. Doesn't seem like a bad price either at $800 for everything. My Dad said forget it though with the hassle of installing it. I've found some other Ranger's with A/C already equipped and even with an X-tra cab, just a bit further but it's no biggie.

Aren Jay
10-04-2007, 10:19 AM
AC keeps your windows from fogging up.

Aren Jay
10-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Anyway a better thing than AC that you can add to a car is a Fridge. You put cold drinks in it, water or the like and in the freezer part, you put an ice pack.

Ice packs are better than AC everytime.

Did I ever tell you my icepack story?

I was driving my Mustang Cobra. No AC. It was hot 36C+ 97F. I had my window rolled down and was sitting at a light, A guy in a buick coupe rolled up beside me, window down sweating away. He looked like he was dying from the heat. I was sitting next to him, my window down cool dry and happy. He looked at me wondered, I looked back, smiled. He looked at my car but saw I had my window open, He reached down and pulled out a hanky or kleenex or something and wiped his sweaty forehead. I looked back and pulled the ice pack I had under my seat out and cooled my forhead down. He was so surprised he almost dropped his hanky. Light turned green, I popped the ice pack back under the seat and happily drove away.

Forget the AC, get a 12 volt fridge and a couple Ice packs, some cokes or bottled water.

Raudermaster
10-05-2007, 08:41 AM
lol that's a bit ghetto for me.