PDA

View Full Version : Grand Marquis conversion to Marauder?

nickv2
09-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Just joined the forums and had a rather silly question
How much trouble would it be to convert a Grand Marquis to a Marauder look a like. Since Mercury has no apparent plans to reintroduce the Marauder any time soon and the 03 and 04 are kinda hard to come by I was thinking about cloning a Marquis. I missed out on buying the Marauder when they were avalible and really love the way they look. Real stealthy.
Thanks
Nick:)

fastblackmerc
09-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Just joined the forums and had a rather silly question
How much trouble would it be to convert a Grand Marquis to a Marauder look a like. Since Mercury has no apparent plans to reintroduce the Marauder any time soon and the 03 and 04 are kinda hard to come by I was thinking about cloning a Marquis. I missed out on buying the Marauder when they were avalible and really love the way they look. Real stealthy.
Thanks
Nick:)

IMHO.... Not worth the time & expenses involved.

Right now there are 3 on eBay, 1 is supercharged, and check the forums here, there are always 1 or 2 for sale.

03mara300b
09-29-2007, 07:27 PM
I considered upgrading my stock 2004 crown vic with performance upgrades to get close to the performance of a Marauder. In the end it was too much of a hassle after lots of research. Exhaust, tune, gear swap, suspension,tires, etc. I searched for over a year to find a Marauder in my price range and close to home. It was worth the wait. I paid $16,800 with 41,000 miles. Excellent condition. NADA was $17,325. I think you can find a good used one any where from $ 12k to $ 30k depending on mileage and condition. Check Autotrader there is a Marauder with 1900 miles, about as new as you can get.

nickv2
09-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the info. Just a thought. I'll keep looking.

BAD MERC
09-29-2007, 08:28 PM
We need to quit cannibalizing these rare cars to convert everything from Cavaliers to School Buses into Mercury Marauder clones. If you like how they look - buy one. They are collectible and there's a good chance that it will be an investment. I got my silver 2004 with 13K miles for $24,300 in 2005 (MSRP was $36,700). There is not one single car out there for that money that offers the look, performance, comfort, options or mystique of the Marauder. Money well spent!! The next time I see a "marauder" clone - I am going to beat the owner with a rubber hose.

ImpalaSlayer
09-30-2007, 08:08 PM
The next time I see a "marauder" clone - I am going to beat the owner with a rubber hose.
____ :lol:

ts-pa
10-01-2007, 12:46 AM
I'm very happy with the results of my swap. If the "look" is important to you, get the Marauder.

nickv2
10-01-2007, 07:12 AM
I had a feeling my question would spark a little controversy and I did not mean to upset anyone. I did not think to realize how clowning the Marquis could somehow devalue the Marauder as the wonderful vehicle it truly is. I will continue my search for a true Marauder and gain confort in knowing I have the car of my dreams.
Thanks Nick

vkirkend
10-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....

fastblackmerc
10-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I had a feeling my question would spark a little controversy and I did not mean to upset anyone. I did not think to realize how clowning the Marquis could somehow devalue the Marauder as the wonderful vehicle it truly is. I will continue my search for a true Marauder and gain confort in knowing I have the car of my dreams.
Thanks Nick

I'm sure you'll be happier with a real Marauder.

RF Overlord
10-01-2007, 08:45 AM
No offence to nickv2, but I agree with silver2004Marauder (only more peacefully ;) )...building clones by cannibalising real Marauders devalues the real thing. Plus, since so few people even know what a Marauder is, there's the chance of someone buying a clone believing they're getting the real thing. We've all had someone come up and tell us they thought the Marauder is just a cosmetic package on a Grand Marquis... :shake:

Aren Jay
10-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Nothing is better than the real thing. If however you need the "new car" or have a Grand Marquis and just want a Marauder real bad, for show. Then you could do the EBAY Grand Marauder thing and put the Marauder wheels and head lights on.

If you needed a larger car like a Towncar especially an L then you could add a 4.10 rear end and supercharger, the 18 inch wheels and performance additions. But unless you absolutely need the larger Towncar, get a use Marauder.

When buying a Marauder ask around here for help and to check out the car. The resources around here are invaluable.

ts-pa
10-01-2007, 12:17 PM
There are some advantages that the real deal has over any altered panther car such as mine...

1. Since it is stock, any basic mechanic can work on the car.

2. You will not need to do anything but write a check to get the whole package.

3. The 2003+ Panthers have hydroformed frames which increases stiffness by about 15-20% over the previous years. This is one mod that would be hard to do on an older panther.

4. Since it has a higher book value, you might be able to get a good loan for one.

I'm sure that may be more. If you were to be buying a car outright, as in you don't already own a panther that could be modded, I'd suggest getting the real deal if you can afford it.

I already owned a decent panther, doing the mods for me was just to get a faster car. My goal was to make a cool "sleeper" rather than create a clone. By altering my existing car, I was able to get more go fast goodies at less cost than the buying price of the Marauder.

I cannot afford to go into car payments. My daughter's private school costs has priority over any car. I'd drive a beater if I had to so she could still attend there. So for me, this was the best option.

Good luck with your decision, let us know what you get!

ludwigvan968
10-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Alright,

now that we have everyone telling you how it is a dumb idea, I will tell ya a couple things depending on what you are going for:

If you have not bought anything yet

The Look:

Check out a crownvic lx sport

Check out a used Marauder

Something to note:

The performance:

Contrary to what the marauder people might lead you to believe, sticking a super charger on a crownvic is totally possible and done by many (will it be as fast as a super charged marauder? Maybe depends on how you do it. But at the very least you can have some fun either way.

With a MGM you can put a bigger suspension in (bigger then the stock MM), as well as rear end.

A stock MM will be faster then a stock MGM, this is just the way it is. It will also be faster through out the bolt on stages of a Naturally Aspired MGM, however you can get into thier sites and maybe even be faster. For more information about this visit: www.crownvic.net (http://www.crownvic.net)

There are many performance parts available for the GM/CV, adtr.net (http://www.adtr.net) is a good place to start.

If you look at my sig you will see I own a GM, probably why I am not freaking out by your question. On the other hand, if I had to do it over again, from scratch I would get a MM. But I got my car for free and for the 12K (and that would be one in poor shape) I would put up to get a MM, I can get a lot of mods for my car and still not have a payment.

So there you go, if you are starting from scratch, get a MM, if not, look into what your priorities are: Looks? Performance? If looks, you really should think about a MM or a CV sport. If Performance, look and see what gets you the most bang for your buck.

Hopefully I didn't offend anyone talking about GMs on here...

MarauderSM
10-01-2007, 02:07 PM
These guys are mean when it comes to cloning the marauder. But there right, the money spent to clone the car can be used to purchased the car. Be patient. And look for one that you want.

Also if you alrady have the marquis you can look at an AED supercharger to give you more performance. Look at the crownvic.net website. We support you choice.

my_rodder
10-01-2007, 02:19 PM
My husband talked about a mm clone out of a CVPI. I let it go in one ear and out the other. I knew when it came down to it he would give in and just get one.(Everything we like has a way of ending up in our driveway:)) just take your time we talked the clone 2 years ago.

jgc61sr2002
10-01-2007, 05:19 PM
IMO it's cheaper just to purchase a Marauder.:D

kwheels636
10-01-2007, 11:49 PM
ebay is where it's at for the marauder, just be patient! i ended up finding one 5 minutes from my house! for a hell of a price! trust me, if you wait long enough you will find one

my_rodder
10-02-2007, 06:41 PM
I went from Iowa to South Dakota for a family thing and drove right by for sale by owner. Great deal!! how many people would go to SD for anything!!:lol: That fell in my lap too. So glad it did. Love this car!!!!

BAD MERC
10-02-2007, 08:23 PM
You are correct! My choice was mandatory - a silver 2004 with a factory sunroof. 11 months passed and I got my wish. I have never looked back and I know what is lurking under the hood.
ebay is where it's at for the marauder, just be patient! i ended up finding one 5 minutes from my house! for a hell of a price! trust me, if you wait long enough you will find one

Stranger in the Black Sedan
10-03-2007, 07:14 AM
The next time I see a "marauder" clone - I am going to beat the owner with a rubber hose.

My God I wish this were legal. It would be deserved

BAD MERC
10-03-2007, 09:15 AM
My God I wish this were legal. It would be deserved That ststement was slightly less anal than this one;
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by silver2004Marauder http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=537637#post53 7637)
We need to quit cannibalizing these rare cars to convert everything from Cavaliers to School Buses into Mercury Marauder clones.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
That's funny, but does resurrecting a totalled Marauder count? How does the Mark VIII, Continental, Aviator, SVT Mustang, and Mach1 Mustang owners feel about Ford cloning their engine into the Panther line up?

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by silver2004Marauder http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=537637#post53 7637)
If you like how they look - buy one. They are collectible and there's a good chance that it will be an investment. I got my silver 2004 with 13K miles for $24,300 in 2005 (MSRP was $36,700).
Congrats for buying an original Marauder! Not all of us can afford it, so many, like myself, make do. Does it really detract from the "originals", 2003-2004 years, value?
There is no comparison of the holding value of the Marauder vs. the 1993-1996 Impala SS. Only the modded Marauders command the original purchase price. The SS, without mods, held that distinction for over five years.
The Marauder currently has a higher holding value than the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. I do not think that this will be true for too long. Just look at how the value drops just by going over the 100,000 mark. Maybe in about ten years this may be different. When all of the daily driven Marauders are worn out, or totalled, then the remaining few will have some value. If you want holding value, invest in choice land, not cars.

Quote:
There is not one single car out there for that money that offers the look, performance, comfort, options or mystique of the Marauder. Money well spent!!
If you are talking about buying a OEM car, no mods, you have a point. But really, what are the differences from a Marauder vs. the rest of the Panther cars? Not as much as you are making it out to be. You talk about the Marauder as if it were a totally separate car. If it had the differences such as a Corvette vs. a WS6 Trans Am, you have a point. Marauders are more alike than different from the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. Also, once you alter it, it is no longer a "pure" Marauder.

I beg to differ on the following points...

Look--We like how the Marauder looks, but to many, it is just a dressed up Crown Vic/ Grand Marquis. To each their own; some do not like the total monochromatic look, some even like another color than black, hence the 2004 colors. Maybe even to some, like myself, "the look" of the Marauder is just not that important.

performance--Not too shabby, especially with mods. It's still a heavy sedan with a small engine. Get real, if this was really important, you'd get a Mustang or something else.

comfort--I think that all Panther cars are very comparable in this area, with the Town Car as the ultimate.

options--Like what gears, rims, colors, HID, & supercharger....Really, not too many to speak of from Ford. Except for a select few, even aftermarket seems to be lacking.

mystique--Yea, like why didn't Ford advertise better, or more options, price discounts, made for only two years. There's plenty of mystique for you to ponder.

Quote:
I'll be sure to stay away from you at any MV or area meets :rolleyes:.
I don't consider my car a "clone". Matter of fact, it offends me. My car is unique. How many 1998-2002 Panters have a DOHC engine, as well as the other extra speed goodies? It has to be more rare than a Marauder, must be worth more, right ;).

If you were to read my threads of my conversion, from when I first mentioned it to today, you will see some supporting the concept of a DOHC into pre-2003 swap. Many have also mentioned in the forum as well as via email & PM's that I should just buy a Marauder. My car proves that it can be done for less than buying a Marauder. Even if I were to add a power adder, it would still be a lot less than buying a stock Marauder, without any of the extras. Many just can't afford the current inflated price of the Marauder.

Overall, the panther cars are an impressive combination of features, with the Marauder being the pinnacle on the performance end of the scale.
Just consider that our fellow panther owners are like family, rather than strangers and should be treated in a comparable manner.

I was going to post this on the thread, but decided that the forum does not need any negative public threads. It has gone through enough already.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
********************* (http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=CCCCCC&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/2097000-2097999/2097941_1_full.jpg)
Quote from corvetteforum.com...
And at the end of the day, my boss, who drives a Porsche, say, "It's still a Corvette." Then his boss, who drives a Ferrari, says, "It's still a Porsche."

Here's your cookie for making it to the middle of the totem pole.

I put asterisks where the username was to make it anonymous. I laughed too - then was puzzled.

10-03-2007, 10:05 AM
There are people like myself who would not have even considered purchasing any panther other than an MM, which is what I did. A Crown Vic/ Grand Marquis is just way too sedate for anything I would drive. So to me that is a good example of how the Mm is not just a slightly dressed up crown vic / marquis. You don't see too many people my age (24) drooling over crown vics and grand marquis', but the MM gets a lot of attention.

You're right about the fact that if we were really out for the performance, we would have bought a Mustang. There are much faster cars for under 35k than the MM, which in stock or mildly modified form is pretty mediocre in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile department. So we bought the MM for a variety of reasons.

A really good analogy is that a Crown Vic/ GM compared to an MM, is like comparing a V6 Mustang or Camaro/Firebird to a V8 version of the same car. I really don't care about the V6 pony cars and would never own one just because it was sort-of like the V8 versions. They might as well be two different cars except for the similar appearances.

Treating the MM like something you can replicate w/ a crown vic with rims overlooks and downplays the car's uniqueness.

ludwigvan968
10-03-2007, 06:34 PM
There are people like myself who would not have even considered purchasing any panther other than an MM, which is what I did. A Crown Vic/ Grand Marquis is just way too sedate for anything I would drive. So to me that is a good example of how the Mm is not just a slightly dressed up crown vic / marquis. You don't see too many people my age (24) drooling over crown vics and grand marquis', but the MM gets a lot of attention.

You're right about the fact that if we were really out for the performance, we would have bought a Mustang. There are much faster cars for under 35k than the MM, which in stock or mildly modified form is pretty mediocre in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile department. So we bought the MM for a variety of reasons.

A really good analogy is that a Crown Vic/ GM compared to an MM, is like comparing a V6 Mustang or Camaro/Firebird to a V8 version of the same car. I really don't care about the V6 pony cars and would never own one just because it was sort-of like the V8 versions. They might as well be two different cars except for the similar appearances.

Treating the MM like something you can replicate w/ a crown vic with rims overlooks and downplays the car's uniqueness.

You know the funny thing about the idea of the V6 being a suckers buy is that people put turbo chargers on them and the blow the doors off of GT's and Cobras, so while it is always fun to have the shiny top of the line car, sometimes it is more fun to pull up in the unsuspecting superchaged MGM or Turbo V6 Pony and shock some folks.

Raudermaster
10-03-2007, 06:43 PM
By the time you're done building the V6 to handle a turbo/blower, the GT would be way ahead of you if you spent the same $, if not less.

BAD MERC
10-03-2007, 06:47 PM
My Marauder IS my first panther car and my first rear drive since a Bonneville SSEi, a Ford Probe LX and a Taurus SHO. Making a CV or GM look identical exterior-wise is easy. Not so for the interior. As far as putting $6,000 worth of appearance goodies on your car to make it look like a Marauder- you are still out all that money if the car is wrecked. At the end, your insurance company doesn't care about what you converted it to look like. A Fiero with a fiberglass kit is still not a Lamborghini and therefore will not net you $200,000 if stolen.

10-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Bonneville SSEi,

A 92 and up Bonneville SSEi is front wheel drive.......LOLOL

magindat
10-04-2007, 07:01 AM
A Fiero with a fiberglass kit is still not a Lamborghini and therefore will not net you $200,000 if stolen.

I think that's the most intelligent statement in this thread. Dayum. there's a first time for everything ain't there, Kenny! ;)

Unless you get junkyard parts or buy a wrecked carcass, MM parts are not cheap. You ARE better off with the real thing if for nothing more than this, per KBB:

56K 2003 Marauder Loan value 16365
56K 2003 Grand Marquis Loan Value 13100

The difference is 3265.
Rear fascia: 1600
Front fascia: 1200
Wheels: 900 (used)
Tires: 600 (if you can find them)
Lights: 250 (Japanese knock off crap that fogs up)
CVPI trunk fascias: 400
So, now we're at 4950 and we haven't talked performance yet.

3.27-3.55 gear swap: 400 (100 for used gears and 300 install)
Intake, tune, exhaust, headers, stat, plugs, will get you close to stock MM HP: roughly 2000.

So 13100 + 4950 + 2000 and you are barely to a stock Marauder. Not to mention the interior, various emblems, blah, blah, blah.

So 20 grand, 7 of which is un-insurable and you are barely touching a stock Marauder. Who wants to clone? It just doesn't make sense?

BAD MERC
10-04-2007, 07:33 AM
A 92 and up Bonneville SSEi is front wheel drive.......LOLOL I know that. Actually the Bonneville FWD started in 1987. Mine was a supercharged 1991.

BAD MERC
10-04-2007, 07:36 AM
THANK YOU RICH!!!
I think that's the most intelligent statement in this thread. Dayum. there's a first time for everything ain't there, Kenny! ;)

Unless you get junkyard parts or buy a wrecked carcass, MM parts are not cheap. You ARE better off with the real thing if for nothing more than this, per KBB:

56K 2003 Marauder Loan value 16365
56K 2003 Grand Marquis Loan Value 13100

The difference is 3265.
Rear fascia: 1600
Front fascia: 1200
Wheels: 900 (used)
Tires: 600 (if you can find them)
Lights: 250 (Japanese knock off crap that fogs up)
CVPI trunk fascias: 400
So, now we're at 4950 and we haven't talked performance yet.

3.27-3.55 gear swap: 400 (100 for used gears and 300 install)
Intake, tune, exhaust, headers, stat, plugs, will get you close to stock MM HP: roughly 2000.

So 13100 + 4950 + 2000 and you are barely to a stock Marauder. Not to mention the interior, various emblems, blah, blah, blah.

So 20 grand, 7 of which is un-insurable and you are barely touching a stock Marauder. Who wants to clone? It just doesn't make sense?

Siege
10-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Using used OEM parts you get the following numbers. Per NADA:

80K 2003 Marauder 15475
80K 2003 CVPI 8675

The difference is 6800.
Rear fascia: 650
Front fascia: 720
Wheels: 510 (used)
Tires: 500
Lights: 250 (New OEM)
CVPI trunk fascias: 0 (Comes with car)
So, now we're at 2630 and we haven't talked performance yet.

3.27-3.55 gear swap: 0 (CVPI comes with 3.27 or 3.55 with LSD as option)
Complete Marauder engine and transmission: @2500.

So 8675 + 2630 + 2500 and you are at $13805 which is $1670 less than a stock Marauder but with cheaper insurance.

Or if we go by realistic CVPI prices the $8675 should really be closer to $5500 in which case 5500 + 2650 + 2500 = 10650 which is $4825 cheaper. Of course we haven't touched the interior, header panel, fog lights, and various other pieces so we'll say $2000 for the rest of the parts needed. That brings us to $12650, leaving us 2825 for a used supercharger and superior performance.

So 13 grand which is insurable with agreed value insurance and you're left 3K to make it faster. Which is easier because you don't have a car payment to make and have all the time in the world to buy each piece all the while learning more and more about your car.
Fixed.

Before the nasty response to this is penned I put this together with prices from car-part and eBay with other points added to highlight the opinion of people who don't have a lot of money up front but have bits over time.

magindat
10-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Fixed.

Before the nasty response to this is penned I put this together with prices from car-part and eBay with other points added to highlight the opinion of people who don't have a lot of money up front but have bits over time.

It wasn't meant to be nasty. Just realistic. I fall under the category of people who have bits over time, do I feel ya.

However, if I were to get a CVPI, I wouldn't try to clone a Marauder. I'd take the money from the fascias and appearance parts and make it my OWN, not a CLONE. This is evidenced by the APPEARANCE of my own MARAUDER.

I have respect for ALL who modify cars. To me, the whole point of modification is to make it your own. The very IDEA of cloning just goes against my individualistic grain.

You have a point. Buy the CVPI or GM, but be honest. Keep it a CVPI or GM. Unbadge it if you feel it's been worked so far that it's no longer one of those, but please don't name it Marauder, when it's not.

Marauder owners, especially the ones here, feel the joined a rather limited group. It rubs folks the wrong way to see disingenuous imposters. I know a member on this site who owns a CV sport with MM wheels and won't park it with the MM's at MM events out of respect.

It's OK to like Marauder rims and stuff. I draw the line at the rear fascia, though.

Siege
10-04-2007, 08:33 AM
It wasn't meant to be nasty. Just realistic. I fall under the category of people who have bits over time, do I feel ya.

However, if I were to get a CVPI, I wouldn't try to clone a Marauder. I'd take the money from the fascias and appearance parts and make it my OWN, not a CLONE. This is evidenced by the APPEARANCE of my own MARAUDER.

I have respect for ALL who modify cars. To me, the whole point of modification is to make it your own. The very IDEA of cloning just goes against my individualistic grain.

You have a point. Buy the CVPI or GM, but be honest. Keep it a CVPI or GM. Unbadge it if you feel it's been worked so far that it's no longer one of those, but please don't name it Marauder, when it's not.

Marauder owners, especially the ones here, feel the joined a rather limited group. It rubs folks the wrong way to see disingenuous imposters. I know a member on this site who owns a CV sport with MM wheels and won't park it with the MM's at MM events out of respect.

It's OK to like Marauder rims and stuff. I draw the line at the rear fascia, though.
Personally I'm right with you. I might get the Marauder front corner lights only because the CV corner markers are hideous but that's about it. Of course I'm more interested in performance than looks and I like stock appearing cars with a surprise under the hood.

Like I said, I really just put that post together to highlight the POV of people who can't handle the upfront cost for the Marauder.

You find a lot of the same cloning in the Mustang world with all the V6 Mustangs sporting Saleen bodywork and Cobra badges. They're looked upon about the same as the clones are here.

Ultimately,the Marauder is the best version of the Panther platform ever produced and everyone needs to realize that its unique bodywork, interior, and powertrain will always be a draw for other Panther owners.
:beer:

ts-pa
10-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Rich, thanks for posting such a concise point of view. I can appreciate the uniqueness as viewed by Marauder owners better now. I was interpreting past comments as being arrogant against people who cannot afford or obtain a Marauder.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Sorry to for jumping on you there Kenny, but give me a little bit of a break; it was 2:30 in the morning after all, and I was really cranky. I’ll try not to post after 1:00 A.M. anymore. Excuse me, but doesn’t “PM” mean “Private Message” not “Public Message”? In my last comment that my have puzzled you, I was referring to the forums past arguments; pinion angle & blower designs comes to mind. I didn’t want this thread to divide us Panther owners.
<o:p> </o:p>
“I draw the line at the rear fascia, though”. Rich, I agree with your point of view on this. Not for me either, my car is a tuned Grand Marquis LS, not a Marauder! Ford should make people submit their VIN to prove that they own a Marauder! ;)<o:p></o:p>
My view is that the go fast stuff is possibly a good deal, if kept within reason.<o:p></o:p>
This was my situation…
<o:p></o:p>
56K 2003 Marauder Loan value <S>$16,365</S> ß-most are going for around $18k
95K 2000 Grand Marquis private sale Value $5,750 ßI don’t know loan value

The difference is $12,250 ßthat’s a lot of room for mods!
All of the appearance stuff just isn’t required for me. I wanted a sleeper or tuner car since I cannot afford an original.<o:p></o:p>
<S><o:p> </o:p></S>

Aren Jay
10-04-2007, 10:02 AM
MY Dad used to follow the Dark Horse theory. The Marauder in my mind is the epitime of this theory. Except for the wheels, nobody knows that the Marauder is anything but a Grand Marquis; unless they hear it. (although at low idle 400rpm it is almost completely silent.)

If you want a 2000 GM or CV or PI then get that. Even more stealthy than the Marauder but it also lacks all the Marauder go fast mods. Sure you can add these and you can have a great car, but then you have put money into a car that you will never get back. Mods do not increase the value of a car. A suped up 2000 GM or CV is still a $1000 car in 5 years. The Marauder is rare enough and with losses and depreciation it will be holding it's own value. The Marauder has all these mods standard already and even a better engine.

Don't under estimate the Dark horse-ness of the Marauder.

A Grand Marquis, no matter how fixed up is still a Grand Marquis. A Marauder no matter how detuned, is still a Marauder.

magindat
10-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Rich, thanks for posting such a concise point of view. I can appreciate the uniqueness as viewed by Marauder owners better now. I was interpreting past comments as being arrogant against people who cannot afford or obtain a Marauder.
ffice:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Sorry to for jumping on you there Kenny, but give me a little bit of a break; it was 2:30 in the morning after all, and I was really cranky. I’ll try not to post after 1:00 A.M. anymore. Excuse me, but doesn’t “PM” mean “Private Message” not “Public Message”? In my last comment that my have puzzled you, I was referring to the forums past arguments; pinion angle & blower designs comes to mind. I didn’t want this thread to divide us Panther owners.
“I draw the line at the rear fascia, though”. Rich, I agree with your point of view on this. Not for me either, my car is a tuned Grand Marquis LS, not a Marauder! Ford should make people submit their VIN to prove that they own a Marauder! ;)<o:p></o:p>
My view is that the go fast stuff is possibly a good deal, if kept within reason.<o:p></o:p>
This was my situation…
56K 2003 Marauder Loan value <s>$16,365</s> ß-most are going for around $18k
95K 2000 Grand Marquis private sale Value $5,750 ßI don’t know loan value

The difference is $12,250 ßthat’s a lot of room for mods!
All of the appearance stuff just isn’t required for me. I wanted a sleeper or tuner car since I cannot afford an original.<o:p></o:p>
<s><o:p> </o:p></s>

You are a perfect example of my point. As is John Kuhn, as is Drock, as is Jman, etc, etc...

Raudermaster
10-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Don't you all remember that MM clone on eBay about a year ago? Looked precisely like an MM. I can't remember though, did it have interior things from the MM? Under the hood though, stock 2v SOHC. Now, someone who bought that car, think ALL MM's have exactly what their car has. I'm with Rich, MM rims are okay, and MM tips, but when it comes the rear bumper and front bumper, the line get's drawn.

ts-pa
10-04-2007, 12:15 PM
The front bumper should still be ok. As an example, my brother had a 1983 Cougar and he put the bumper from an 1987 super coupe on it. Clone wannabe? No, it had functional scoop & fog light holes.
The same (fog light holes) could be said about the MM bumper on any other panther.

ts-pa
10-04-2007, 12:32 PM
MY Dad used to follow the Dark Horse theory. The Marauder in my mind is the epitime of this theory. Except for the wheels, nobody knows that the Marauder is anything but a Grand Marquis; unless they hear it. (although at low idle 400rpm it is almost completely silent.)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I agree, this is a cool factor! This used to be called "sleeper" by the car mags.

If you want a 2000 GM or CV or PI then get that. Even more stealthy than the Marauder but it also lacks all the Marauder go fast mods.<o:p></o:p>
I bought my GM out of financial reasons, a Marauder was too costly for me.<o:p></o:p>
I still feel that it is too rich for my budget. Hence my mods.<o:p></o:p>

Sure you can add these and you can have a great car,<o:p></o:p>
Thanks, I do feel that this was worth it in my situation.<o:p></o:p>

but then you have put money into a car that you will never get back. Mods do not increase the value of a car. A suped up 2000 GM or CV is still a $1000 car in 5 years. <o:p></o:p>
If you look at a car as an investment, as in to get back any money, you can easily be disappointed. Very few cars actually increase in value. I spent this money to get back a car that I could otherwise not afford. Good deal for me.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>Yes, I'll be driving around in a worthless suped up car and enjoying it tremendously as it didn't cost me too much! No cares about mileage, except when to do maintenace.</o:p>

The Marauder is rare enough and with losses and depreciation it will be holding it's own value. The Marauder has all these mods standard already and even a better engine. <o:p></o:p>
It’s rarity and value depend on the willingness of someone purchasing it. I could be wrong, but I honestly don’t think that this will happen.<o:p></o:p>

Don't under estimate the Dark horse-ness of the Marauder. <o:p></o:p>
Be careful not to over estimate it either.<o:p></o:p>

A Grand Marquis, no matter how fixed up is still a Grand Marquis. A Marauder no matter how detuned, is still a Marauder.<o:p></o:p>
This is true. If I were to take the $8k and invest in a way to earn a conservative 8%, I would have $11,700 in five years or $17,200 in ten. Now before you chide me on inflation losses, this is money that I would not have if I were to spend it on a more expensive car today. In meantime, I’ll enjoy my unique ride, regardless if it is a modified CV, or GM.

How about this option; I'll get $8k, and you guys pony up the difference, then I'll gladly get a Marauder ;) LOL
Sorry to repeat…<o:p></o:p>

A Marauder no matter how <S>detuned </S> special Ford made it, is still a <S>Marauder</S> Grand Marquis <o:p></o:p>
A Marauder passes a couple, she says “look honey, that is a nice Crown Vic”, he corrects her by saying “it’s a Mercury, so that is a nice Grand Marquis” ;)
Sorry also to offend, but to many people, this is all a Marauder is anyways. That is why I say, what are the actual differences? Granted that it is unique, but it isn’t God’s gift to humanity, it’s just a car. See, I recognize that any Panther car can be very comparable with a little money & effort. So there is no reason to look down on someone for not owning the real thing. <o:p></o:p>
In Summary…<o:p></o:p>
*I'm afraid that some of you may suffer from what I call "Barrett-Jackson Fantasy". Very few cars ever make it to this point. In meantime, a car that you could enjoy will temporarily hold it’s value and then it will drop, usually around the 10-13 year mark. Just look at the 1993-1996 SS, the used up ones are starting to drop in value. Most cars do this. Over time, say 20 years, it might start to go back up due to uniqueness from many others being trashed or recycled, and . No matter what car you have, they all start to go up in value after the 50 year mark. Some go up more than others.
This should explain my signature line a little. I say, have pride and enjoy what you own, regardless of what it is.<o:p></o:p>

Now, if a poser tries to sell one as the real deal, that’s just not right!

10-04-2007, 12:39 PM
It’s rarity and value depend on the willingness of someone purchasing it. I could be wrong, but I honestly don’t think that this will happen.<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>

Again look at the Impala SS selling for 5-10 times what a caprice would. The CVPI and GM will be swallowed whole by the taxi fleet, while the MM will not. It's so funny to me that people clone an MM because it really is not an expensive car at the current prices, and is pretty easy to find used.

Eric91Z
10-04-2007, 12:43 PM
While I would never do a clone, I can definitely see why you would want some Marauder pieces in a CV/GM. I have actually thought about this myself. The Marauder is a relatively rare and special car and now that mine is no longer a daily driver I have a much better chance of keeping it a long time like I want to.

On the flip side, I miss the performance and comfort of the Marauder as a daily driver. Now, I have the CVPI already and it is an OK daily driver. Gets my from point A to point B in comfort, has heat, A/C, defrost, room for my daughter, and rides nice.

That being said, I would love someday to find a wrecked Marauder and take the entire interior, motor, tranny, and wheels and swap them on the Crown Vic. I would not do any other Marauder exterior modifications. Then I could have the nice, comfortable interior to ride in every day and the more powerful motor. That would be the ideal daily driver.

But I agree, don't clone a Marauder or try to push off another Panther car as a Marauder wanna be.

2ndMDRebel
10-04-2007, 02:47 PM
WTF??? I have a Crown Victoria LX Sport, the one with the bucket seats, floor shifter, dual exhaust, etc and I had a Marauder engine put into it and some exterior styling cues like the Marauder tips and decklid spoiler and added chrome 18" rims. Does this qualify me as a poser??? I have never and will never pass my car off as a Marauder, in fact I do my best to educate people on what the differences are between the Marauder and CV/GM's when I'm asked at the track and in the parking lots if my car is a Marauder. I did have to give up on one guy that kept insisting my car had the police package and that I was running slow (at 11.6!!!) for a cop car. Some people, as I found out, just do not get it, there is alot of hype and misinformation out there. I have had the car to a CAM meet, I did park away from the main line of Marauders but some ended up parked around me anyway, noone seemed to have an issue with me being there, hope noone has an issue with me being here...

One more thing, I'm not worried about what my car will be worth in "x" years, I'm having tons of fun with it NOW and thats what I had it built for.

I have a Crown Vic with the heart of a Marauder... nothing more... nothing less.

Raudermaster
10-04-2007, 02:54 PM
No one is calling you a poser 2nd, you went the full distance to put the HEART of the MM in it. I for one LOVE your Vic just because it's so badass. You still have the stock CVLXS features on the outside though, correct? It's the people that do everything to the car exterior wise, leave the same drivetrain in there, and call it an MM.

Eric91Z
10-04-2007, 03:42 PM
WTF??? I have a Crown Victoria LX Sport, the one with the bucket seats, floor shifter, dual exhaust, etc and I had a Marauder engine put into it and some exterior styling cues like the Marauder tips and decklid spoiler and added chrome 18" rims. Does this qualify me as a poser??? I have never and will never pass my car off as a Marauder, in fact I do my best to educate people on what the differences are between the Marauder and CV/GM's when I'm asked at the track and in the parking lots if my car is a Marauder. I did have to give up on one guy that kept insisting my car had the police package and that I was running slow (at 11.6!!!) for a cop car. Some people, as I found out, just do not get it, there is alot of hype and misinformation out there. I have had the car to a CAM meet, I did park away from the main line of Marauders but some ended up parked around me anyway, noone seemed to have an issue with me being there, hope noone has an issue with me being here...

One more thing, I'm not worried about what my car will be worth in "x" years, I'm having tons of fun with it NOW and thats what I had it built for.

I have a Crown Vic with the heart of a Marauder... nothing more... nothing less.

I wouldn't call you a poser at all. Actually I say you have quite a nice car. Something that Ford should have offered to start with. It is the Marauder front and rear bumper covers, etc that I don't get. Or more sall calling it a Marauder when it is not.

Mine will always be 1 Marauder and 1 CVPI. That is the way it is. Now, I would like to have the "heart" of a Marauder in my CVPI!

ts-pa
10-04-2007, 06:15 PM
WTF??? I have a Crown Victoria LX Sport, the one with the bucket seats, floor shifter, dual exhaust, etc and I had a Marauder engine put into it and some exterior styling cues like the Marauder tips and decklid spoiler and added chrome 18" rims. Does this qualify me as a poser??? I have never and will never pass my car off as a Marauder, in fact I do my best to educate people on what the differences are between the Marauder and CV/GM's....

2nd--Except that mine is a GM, you sum up my thoughts exactly! You got some impressive numbers too! Hope to meet you sometime and check out your ride.

mm clone
02-06-2008, 10:20 PM
I swear this forum and you guys about these cars its a car you act like 40 yrs from now the mm will be what the hemi cuda, ss chevelle, shelby cobra and other antique cars are worth if someone would rather buy a cv/mgm and add some exterior parts so what its there money and there decision dont get me wrong i love the mm but the are reasons not to buy one i owned a 96 impala ss with 25k original miles that i wouldnt touch it was completely stock at the sametime i owned a 95 caprice that was cloned to a ss but from that community u get great responses to a good looking car. Like my true ss i would never paint or customize because of value i only add wheels but my caprice was painted white with lot of upgrades but i had both in the garage people like my ss but loved all the work done to the caprice it was a hobby and thats how i feel with this car im going to buy a cvpi or lx sport add the mm bumper a custom grill, 22 inch wheels, the spoiler and i dont care what u say. its always an issue when someone asks a question lighten the hell up its a free country. i can bet you my cv will look just as good if not better then ur mm.

Cordoba1
02-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Editing out comment becaause I've decided it was too rude.

02-06-2008, 10:48 PM
The real story will be told when one of these BS MM clones that is a slug 4.6 SOHC underneath the hood lines up next to a real MM at the stoplight.

Thats all there is to say...

The MM is just not expensive enough to clone. Just buy one, especially in today's drooping market, the value of gas guzzler cars is dropping. People clone hemi cars because real hemi cars can cost over a million dollars. An MM doesn't. They are out there to enjoy if you want one.

vkirkend
02-07-2008, 07:06 AM
I swear this forum and you guys about these cars its a car you act like 40 yrs from now the mm will be what the hemi cuda, ss chevelle, shelby cobra and other antique cars are worth if someone would rather buy a cv/mgm and add some exterior parts so what its there money and there decision dont get me wrong i love the mm but the are reasons not to buy one i owned a 96 impala ss with 25k original miles that i wouldnt touch it was completely stock at the sametime i owned a 95 caprice that was cloned to a ss but from that community u get great responses to a good looking car. Like my true ss i would never paint or customize because of value i only add wheels but my caprice was painted white with lot of upgrades but i had both in the garage people like my ss but loved all the work done to the caprice it was a hobby and thats how i feel with this car im going to buy a cvpi or lx sport add the mm bumper a custom grill, 22 inch wheels, the spoiler and i dont care what u say. its always an issue when someone asks a question lighten the hell up its a free country. i can bet you my cv will look just as good if not better then ur mm.

No it won't......................... .............................. ......:flamer:

RF Overlord
02-07-2008, 08:14 AM
i can bet you my cv will look just as good if not better then ur mm.Not with 22" wheels it won't...

magindat
02-07-2008, 08:30 AM

Ummm.. we laugh at the fools who clone Caprices into Impalas with badging and all. :puke:

Customize it all you want. Cool. Enjoy it. Just don't call it something it ain't!!!

wchain
02-07-2008, 08:52 AM
http://images34.fotki.com/v1125/photos/4/41821/141880/d00durbus128468051911718750-vi.jpg

magindat
02-07-2008, 09:11 AM
My girlfriend uses the word 'lame' all the time. I linked her this thread and here is her email reply:

Nice, the kid needs to buy a Marauder and stop being a poser!!

I think that about sums it up, don't you?

SID210SA
02-07-2008, 09:46 AM
By the time you buy a CV Sport or CVPI and clone it you will spend more money and time on it than if you just by a "Real" MM and you wont get what we get out of it....but to each their own.....

GreekGod
02-07-2008, 10:02 AM
The real story will be told when one of these BS MM clones that is a slug 4.6 SOHC underneath the hood lines up next to a real MM at the stoplight.

Thats all there is to say...

The MM is just not expensive enough to clone. Just buy one, especially in today's drooping market, the value of gas guzzler cars is dropping. People clone hemi cars because real hemi cars can cost over a million dollars. An MM doesn't. They are out there to enjoy if you want one.

(More to say)...A 4.6 SOHC with boost can go faster & quicker than stink...if I had a '03 CV Sport, it would be quicker (with a supercharger) than many MM's.

(More more to say) Now, since we all know that a Mercury is the upscale version of a Ford, and a Lincoln is an upscale version of a Mercury, it is only logical to conclude that a Lincoln Town Car is superior to any Mercury, including any Marauder!...Therefore, when I finally get a stretch Town Car, I will rule the road!!... you will all bow down to me, and move over for me to pass you!!!

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/1/9/0/AllHail.gif

All Hail...the Humungus Rules!!!!

GreekGod
02-07-2008, 10:07 AM
You will move over....or else...

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/1/9/0/humungus2.jpg

Dragcity
02-07-2008, 10:38 AM
It will all come out in the VIN....

But have fun with whatever you all do.................

Power Surge
02-07-2008, 11:01 AM
What it comes down to, is that it's your car, do what you like. You hear the same clone bashing on every vehicle forum, and that's natural. People with the real thing don't like seeing others copy what they have, especially if it was done for much less. Lightning guys bash F-150 guys with Lightning clones. Cobra guys bash Mustang owners with Cobra clones. SHO guys bash SLO owners with SHO clones. And on and on.

It doesn't matter what other people think. If you like your car with a MM front facia, go for it. It's YOUR car. People have been cloning cars for years. Boss mustangs, Hemi Cudas,Yenko Camaros, etc, etc, etc.

Personally, I feel that if you are going to clone a car, then really CLONE the car. Don't do it half assed. Don't give someone the chance to be able to tell it's a fake right off the bat.

If you really want to clone an MM for cheap, get yourself a nice black 03 CVPI for 4-5 grand or so, and go from there. Change the nose and rear bumper, add some MM wheels, and you've got a nice visual looking MM. If you want to go farther, put the right interior parts in, and if you want to go all the way, add the DOHC motor. You could easily build a true MM clone for less than what a real MM costs. And you don't have to worry about it getting damaged, chipped up, stolen, or whatever. It's just a regular ole car with some parts bolted to it.

Ms. Denmark
02-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Have to agree with those who point out an MM is not an expensive option, so buy the real deal and start having fun. Having a cosmetic look-a-like won't give you the MM experience!

J D
02-07-2008, 01:34 PM
I swear this forum, and you guys, about these cars, its a car you act like 40 yrs from now will be what the hemi cuda, ss chevelle, shelby cobra and other antique cars are worth. If someone would rather buy a cv/mgm and add some exterior parts so what its there money and there decision. Don't get me wrong I love the mm but the are reasons not to buy one. I owned a 96 impala ss, with 25k original miles, that I wouldn't touch. It was completely stock. At the same time I owned a 95 caprice that was cloned to a ss, but in that community you get great responses to a good looking car. Like my true ss, I would never paint or customize because of value. I only added wheels, but my caprice was painted white with a lot of upgrades, but I had both in the garage. People like my ss, but loved all the work done to the caprice. It was a hobby and thats how I feel with this car. I'm going to buy a cvpi or lx sport add the mm bumper a custom grill, 22 inch wheels, the spoiler and I dont care what you say. Its always an issue when someone asks a question, lighten the hell up its a free country! I can bet you my cv will look just as good if not better then your mm.

OK, first off if you are going to make a point in defense of the target of the thread thats been dead for months, do it with at least half decent grammar you :censor:ing :censor:!

Second, if we have all the pride in our cars to hope that what we have could one day be up in the ranks of the great muscle classics, who are you to predict the future and tell us other wise? Go read dickens, clone a time machine, and let me know if I should leave my cover off every once in a while!

Thirdly, I can honestly see how some would want to clone cars. For example, say you have had a MGM for 5 years and love the car, and are absolutely devoted to it, but still want to have the look and feel of the next level up. I'd most likely do the same, but still have the balls to disclose that it was a clone. But since you don't seem to have any real reason to do a conversion other than just to make another clone, you can go :censor: yourself buddy.

And last of all, to us die hard originals, we'll always have to deal with copy cats, but we should do it with less disdain. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and something we can all be proud of since our vehicles are so great that others, who are without means, want to have what we have the honor to own. Though as it has been said, sometimes, especially at this point in time, it just make sense to buy an original.

02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
but we should do it with less disdain

Nope. Thought about it but decided against it.

J D
02-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Nope. Thought about it but decided against it.

heh, thats your prerogative, and honestly if I pulled up to a mm clone I'd probably do the same. And as far as limiting disdain goes, I'm talking about those who truly love the car they're with and just want to upgrade, don't completely :flamer:them, though a little friendly chiding is in order.:D

TiTo35
02-07-2008, 03:11 PM
I dont think the guy that started this thread was expecting all this...

J D
02-07-2008, 04:48 PM
None of us ever do . . . :shake:

BAD MERC
02-07-2008, 05:11 PM
I chimed in with my 2 cents too, I bought a 2004 silver Marauder with a factory sunroof in October 2005. This was 11 months after I discovered their existence, it took me that long to find "the one". I offered to buy Tom's (MarauderTJA) and he basically told me that I might as well find my own. Well, I did and the ONLY difference between his and mine is that I have heated seats. If you have a Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Grand Cherokee, Cavalier, Gremlin, Pinto, skateboard or Segway and you think you want to turn it into a Marauder wannabe- take my advice.... work really hard until you find the perfect one and BUY IT! I did and never looked back. Over two years of ownership and when I get in that seat and turn that key and she roars to life, I pee a little with glee. She gets looks from everyone when I am oozing down the road. Nobody knows what it is but it sounds great when a little throttle tip-in is addressed. I made her perfect with delete tips, a Lidio tune and a $14,000 stereo with DVD and Nav. It is about to get Trilogized which is the icing on the cake. Get your own and you'll never regret it.:burnout:

Pat
02-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Whew, this thread is heavy duty reading.

Also, put out feelers in the various forums .org, .net and MCM.com that you are in the market for a marauder. Give requirements and price range.

There are people who may want to sell their Marauder but just need a nudge.

You can get MM's with a healthy set of mods for what is regular retail.

Keep looking and advertising. Won't take long, but they need to know
your out there.

Blk Mamba
02-07-2008, 06:21 PM
I wanted my 03 MM from the day they were made, I can only now afford it. I'm glad I waited, and sacrificed to get a REAL MM. If you do the same you will never wipe the grin off your face when someone walks up and says, Is that a MM, and you can truthfully say YES.

BAD MERC
02-07-2008, 07:59 PM
I wanted my 03 MM from the day they were made, I can only now afford it. I'm glad I waited, and sacrificed to get a REAL MM. If you do the same you will never wipe the grin off your face when someone walks up and says, Is that a MM, and you can truthfully say YES.

This underscores my point - I made it a priority to own my 2004 even if I had to drink tap water and eat hotdogs forever. Yes it's a real one. No, you can't drive it.

J D
02-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Not that you guys aren't right but eyeball the posting date, by now the guy has definitely made his choice one way or the other. Though this does underscore the point made already and should help any more newcomers as to what the obvious choice is.

Eric91Z
02-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Not that you guys aren't right but eyeball the posting date, by now the guy has definitely made his choice one way or the other. Though this does underscore the point made already and should help any more newcomers as to what the obvious choice is.

Yeah, buy 1 true Marauder and then add a CV and take what you like from a wrecked Marauder, add to the CV, and have a nice daily driver for a second car....:D

J D
02-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah, buy 1 true Marauder and then add a CV and take what you like from a wrecked Marauder, add to the CV, and have a nice daily driver for a second car....:D

heh, yeah well some of us don't have the space, no matter how good that option sounds. :P

OneBADLsE
02-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Its simple to make a MM look-a-like.

Buy a high mile 03' GM. Swap out fear fascia. Get some Aftermarket MM bumpers, headlamps, paint, and voila! Throw on some MM rims of your choice, then be done!

Quite simple really. GM's can be had for a song (AS I ALREADY KNOW).

Who the hell knows why you ALL assume take a CV and swap out the header, :lol: Dopes. The GM already has that done! DUH!

Aren Jay
02-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Why not spend less and get a high mileage 03 Marauder.

Remember your clone will not have the suspension or other upgrades, engine etc...

Wheels cost $600 each.

add it up and compare.

Marauder is cheaper.

Unless you want an 08 Marauder and are willing to spend all that money on a new Grand Marquis.

10 Grand and your done: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=236418500&dealer_id=61762921&car_year=2003&model=MARAUDER&num_records=&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=MERC&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Ais psearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=90210&advanced=y&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=15000&cardist=1387

ts-pa
02-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Keep in mind, not all have the means or budgets to get a MM in the first place. Any current car or second car might be like mine (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showpost.php?p=555447&postcount=110).

I think that we can come to an agreement on a few points here...

Tom's "ts-pa" Marauder Clone Rules:

1. Mercury Marauder (MM) is the best Panther that came directly from Ford.

2. Even so, Ford cheated everyone by cutting back on a couple of features before production & even decontented once production started. Ensuring its failure to sell many due to very little advertising. Even pricing them higher than what was in press releases. That would explain all of the mods to many cars found here.

3. MM is still a Panther car, yes most parts will interchange. Any one feature found on the MM by itself does not make the MM super special. The total package however does make the MM to be an outstanding and unique car.

4. If someone were to take a Panther car and clone it into a MM for the sake of fooling others into believing that they own an original MM, this deception is not right! Even if they get every last part correct. If you have done this to your car and present it in this manner, please do not bother to join this forum. It is a sign of disregard to the original mm owners and others in general since in essence you are a liar.

5. If someone were to take a Panther car and clone it into a MM for the sake of the enjoyment of the car. NEVER promoting it as a real MM. Though costly to do the conversion. Even if they get every last part correct. Congrats to a job well done. Enjoy the fruit of your labors.

6. Regardless of points 4 & 5 above; a person who modifies their Panther cars, please be respectful of the owners of the original MM. Refrain from using MM specific parts that are strictly visual clues as to being the real thing, parts that offer no performance gains. For example, the rear bumper cover that has "MARAUDER" embossed on it. Also, any of the MM specific badging that says "Marauder" on it. I think that the gods head would be ok by itself since that symbol was the Mecury logo long before the MM.
A good example might be a godshead badge, without the Marauder name on it. Another good example of this of this respect can be found on one member's car. He has Maruader badging under the hood of his car, not on the outside in a manner to deceive someone. The MM front bumper cover & MM wheels, even though were MM specific parts, can be used since they offer performance improvements.

7. If you are considering on buying a Panther car, but want the performance of the MM. Please strongly consider the costs of just buying the real original MM. The costs and aggravations of a conversion might not be worth it. It worked out well for some, such as myself, but there were "hidden" costs that needs to be addressed.

8. At any Marauder specific event, join in the fun, but have consideration not to park in the middle of the gathering. I recently attended a CAM meet (fall 2007) where I unintentionally ended up in the middle of the group. I thought that I was the last to arrive, parking at the end of a row of MM, then others parked around me. Kudos to 2ndMDRebel since he has shown this consideration at a previous event; only to have the same thing happen to him. I also attended the Willow Grove Car Show, parking in the midst of the other MM, but this was only done by invitation to do so.

9. The owners of the original MM need to lighten up a bit. As long as the person who modifies a Panther abides by the above, let it go. If all the person wants to do is improve their cars in a personalized manner, regardless of how foolish it may seem to you, what is the harm in that? This would include the following... Colors of unpopular choice. Larger rims than what would seem sane, as in dangerously small side walls of tires remaining. Any accessory that would hinder rather than improve common appeal. Unusual modifications that would seem excessive, such as lambo doors. Choice of power adders, cleaning products used, choice of oil or other additives. What does that really matter to you personally? If you disagree with them, be polite and make a valid point. Flaming as it is called is just a bad reflection of us not being civil.

10. Read #4 again!

ts-pa
02-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Why not spend less and get a high mileage 03 Marauder.

Remember your clone will not have the suspension or other upgrades, engine etc...

Wheels cost $600 each.

add it up and compare.

Marauder is cheaper.

Unless you want an 08 Marauder and are willing to spend all that money on a new Grand Marquis.

10 Grand and your done: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=236418500&dealer_id=61762921&car_year=2003&model=MARAUDER&num_records=&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=MERC&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Ais psearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=90210&advanced=y&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=15000&cardist=1387

That is a good find. Six months ago, $10k bought a very badly beaten MM.

Eric91Z
02-08-2008, 05:48 AM
Keep in mind, not all have the means or budgets to get a MM in the first place. Any current car or second car might be like mine (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showpost.php?p=555447&postcount=110).

I think that we can come to an agreement on a few points here...

Tom's "ts-pa" Marauder Clone Rules:

1. Mercury Marauder (MM) is the best Panther that came directly from Ford.

2. Even so, Ford cheated everyone by cutting back on a couple of features before production & even decontented once production started. Ensuring its failure to sell many due to very little advertising. Even pricing them higher than what was in press releases. That would explain all of the mods to many cars found here.

3. MM is still a Panther car, yes most parts will interchange. Any one feature found on the MM by itself does not make the MM super special. The total package however does make the MM to be an outstanding and unique car.

4. If someone were to take a Panther car and clone it into a MM for the sake of fooling others into believing that they own an original MM, this deception is not right! Even if they get every last part correct. If you have done this to your car and present it in this manner, please do not bother to join this forum. It is a sign of disregard to the original mm owners and others in general since in essence you are a liar.

5. If someone were to take a Panther car and clone it into a MM for the sake of the enjoyment of the car. NEVER promoting it as a real MM. Though costly to do the conversion. Even if they get every last part correct. Congrats to a job well done. Enjoy the fruit of your labors.

6. Regardless of points 4 & 5 above; a person who modifies their Panther cars, please be respectful of the owners of the original MM. Refrain from using MM specific parts that are strictly visual clues as to being the real thing, parts that offer no performance gains. For example, the rear bumper cover that has "MARAUDER" embossed on it. Also, any of the MM specific badging that says "Marauder" on it. I think that the gods head would be ok by itself since that symbol was the Mecury logo long before the MM.
A good example might be a godshead badge, without the Marauder name on it. Another good example of this of this respect can be found on one member's car. He has Maruader badging under the hood of his car, not on the outside in a manner to deceive someone. The MM front bumper cover & MM wheels, even though were MM specific parts, can be used since they offer performance improvements.

7. If you are considering on buying a Panther car, but want the performance of the MM. Please strongly consider the costs of just buying the real original MM. The costs and aggravations of a conversion might not be worth it. It worked out well for some, such as myself, but there were "hidden" costs that needs to be addressed.

8. At any Marauder specific event, join in the fun, but have consideration not to park in the middle of the gathering. I recently attended a CAM meet (fall 2007) where I unintentionally ended up in the middle of the group. I thought that I was the last to arrive, parking at the end of a row of MM, then others parked around me. Kudos to 2ndMDRebel since he has shown this consideration at a previous event; only to have the same thing happen to him. I also attended the Willow Grove Car Show, parking in the midst of the other MM, but this was only done by invitation to do so.

9. The owners of the original MM need to lighten up a bit. As long as the person who modifies a Panther abides by the above, let it go. If all the person wants to do is improve their cars in a personalized manner, regardless of how foolish it may seem to you, what is the harm in that? This would include the following... Colors of unpopular choice. Larger rims than what would seem sane, as in dangerously small side walls of tires remaining. Any accessory that would hinder rather than improve common appeal. Unusual modifications that would seem excessive, such as lambo doors. Choice of power adders, cleaning products used, choice of oil or other additives. What does that really matter to you personally? If you disagree with them, be polite and make a valid point. Flaming as it is called is just a bad reflection of us not being civil.

10. Read #4 again!

^^^ +1. Well said!

magindat
02-08-2008, 05:52 AM
This underscores my point - I made it a priority to own my 2004 even if I had to drink tap water and eat hotdogs forever. Yes it's a real one. No, you can't drive it.

That's right. Some of us still know how to SACRIFICE and work hard for what we want!

+1! Ramen Noodles and Spam!

GreekGod
02-08-2008, 12:02 PM
[quote=ts-pa;578860]... Larger rims than what would seem sane...[quote]

I don't like calling wheels "rims"...they are not rims, they are wheels...wheels have rims, but rims are not wheels...I cannot agree with many of your points...they should go to a committee for editing and revision...lots of editing and revision...I will not serve if elected.

wchain
02-08-2008, 12:17 PM
22s? PFFT

Get 30" yo
http://images.craigslist.org/01010501160201031020080206d9a6 65dda63c083b5800fdeb.jpg

http://dallas.craigslist.org/pts/565651919.html

magindat
02-08-2008, 12:20 PM
30" DuB rims and tires - $13500

'DUB' means 20".

:stupid:

OneBADLsE
02-08-2008, 12:20 PM
The MM is everything i EVER wanted Ford to do. Therefore...I must in one way have one.

Stock for stock, a HPP GM/CV sport feel almost identical. For the MM, nothing off the line, and gobs of top end. For the HPP, It rushes off the line and looses up top.

Sure, with the excess money I INTEND on spending on a MM, i can build the SohC 4.6 like any mustang guy would. We have a killer Mustang tuning/performance shop on Long Island called "Mustang Magic". Theres nothing different besides some fab work to do anything on a SOHC Panther that you would on a SOHC mustang.

I want an original modern day muscle classic. I WANT A MM!

ts-pa
02-08-2008, 03:18 PM
[quote=ts-pa;578860]... Larger rims than what would seem sane...[quote]

I don't like calling wheels "rims"...they are not rims, they are wheels...wheels have rims, but rims are not wheels...

I understood the terms loosely to be "Tire+Rim=Wheel" in modern usage, as in Rubber+Metal=Wheel. Since I don't care what tires are being used, but I was referring to Marauder specific metal portion only, the “rim”.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
You are saying that it is either Wheel (metal part), or Tire (rubber part). What term is the combination of these parts, is it a “mounted wheel”?<o:p></o:p>
I always understood it to be all of the parts combined equals a “wheel”. For example, if you look at wagon & steam train wheels, the components are:<o:p></o:p>
hub+spokes+fellows+rim=wheel.<o:p></o:p>
You are correct though in that the cylindrical portion is called the rim, for example: 3 piece aftermarket wheels have a wheel center+inner rim+outer rim.<o:p></o:p>
http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/tech/oz_3piece/assembly.jpg (http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/tech/oz_3piece/assembly.jpg)<o:p></o:p>

ts-pa
02-08-2008, 03:24 PM
...I cannot agree with many of your points...they should go to a committee for editing and revision...lots of editing and revision...I will not serve if elected.

The clone rule list I made was named "Tom's clone rules".

Edititing woul d be reqirwed since I ytpe terrrinbley.

As for content, I was suggesting a compromise that would seem reasonable from any Panther owners point of view. This would hopefully end this bashing, or flaming, of someones question of parts interchange every time a question is asked.

sailsmen
02-08-2008, 04:16 PM
I feel the same way about Mustang and Marauder owners who put Cobra emblems all over their Mustang and Marauder.

I wonder why they don't put Aviator badges on as well?

My Marauder has a Cobra Long Block. Am I going to put Cobra bling all over it?

Not!!!!!!!!!!! It's a Marauder!

Aren Jay
02-08-2008, 10:17 PM
people can do what they want to their cars, like painting a Marauder green and orange...

BUt why would you want to make a kit car Marauder when for the same price you can buy a real one. I can see a Kit Car Lambo, which we can't afford, but a Marauder is not that expensive.

Now If you have a GM and want a Nice exhaust get flow masters, Yes Marauder wheels are nice and look good, but their are some many more less expensive good looking 18" wheels. see tirerack.

You can even get 19" wheels and tires. Not the DUB but not silly looking either. Debadging is all and good but why would you want to make your Grand Marquis up with the Marauder fenders etc... That is about as silly as me putting a Cadillac hood ornament and badging on my Marauder. I could do it, but it would be a stupid thing to do.