PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a new toy

djbruce26
10-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Not gonna give you much information... but I'm thinking of a new toy in yellow. 5 speed, blower and 30+ mpg on the highway? Any takers? Sounds too good to be true?

I think I can swing this such that I'll be able to sell the vic and have less than 250 a month payment on a 1 year old car or even a 1 model year old, but new, car....

The question here is (and regardless of your answer I'm already decided on what I wanna do... I just wanna know what y'all would do if this thought crossed your path) would you sell your vic to get a blown 5 speed car that is brand new with factory warranty and gets 25-50% better mileage?

Okay, obviously I wrote that for crownvic.net first... but I brought it here to ask if any of you haved been around the new cobalt SS SC cars? 2.0, 15 lbs Roots Style Blower, 5 speed manual. about 50% better city mileage than my vic and about 20-25% better highway. Anyone driven one, raced one, took a picture of a bird pooping on one? ANY EXPERIENCES? No? Fine....

How could you not want one of these in yellow or black though?
http://juneauempire.com/autos/images/cobalt06.jpg

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-02-2007, 10:31 PM
I had a run with my friend's. We went at it from about 35, and left him behind the whole time, he couldn't pass me to save his life...keep in mind my MM is stock.

Not a bad car, sounds cool inside under wot with the s/c screamin. But would rather have a vic than even a s/c cobalt.

gmtech
10-03-2007, 05:08 AM
last month i raced a ss cobalt at the 1/8 mile track and won every time....i even hot lapped my car 4 times because he was so determined...i didnt flat leave him and since i had my p/s window down, i could hear that little eaton SCREAMING!!!!!!! im sure he pissed off that my "granny" car was winning:P

VAmarauder03
10-03-2007, 09:54 AM
ummm yea, no wouldnt trade a vic for that car anyday...they arent that fast and ive heard rumors of the wheel hop being a big issue on launching and snapping halfshafts

Aren Jay
10-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Smart fortwo.

5 speed, turbo and 45+mpg, mid engine, three door, two seater, rear wiper, folding passenger seat, side and front air bags, traction control, stability control 'esp', and safer than any motorcycle. Shorter than most motorcycles too.

magindat
10-03-2007, 11:32 AM
That SC cobalt is nothing more than an American ricer. Don't do it, man.

Raudermaster
10-03-2007, 12:07 PM
I have respect for the SRT-4 Neon, but that is a disgrace. Just pushing barely 200hp with a blower. It's like the same stupid thing with the Scion TC. Every ricer kid I know, "Well it's got a supercharger on it stock!" Yea, pushing 4lbs of boost too, that it doesn't help that much over a base TC. I test drove an SS when I was waiting for my MM to get cleaned from the dealer the day I bought it. Nothing impressive. The only thing appealing is the manual and a blower stock. Just remember, it's STILL a 4cyl.

rvaldez1
10-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Well, I was able to drive one for a few laps at small track, they are quick, 0-60 they will take ANY stock panther. Handling is very impressive, though I HATE FWD due to the massive amounts of torque steer. For an SS car I was a bit disapointed, clutch has an extremely long throw and the gear box is a bit sloppy. We have a few base Cobalts in my dads fleet, they simply do not hold up, within a year and less than 10k they are falling apart. So I would assume the SC cobalts have the same cheap build quality.

Dont get me wrong I would take a panther over it any day, but if sporty looks and gas mileage is what you are after, have fun.

cyclopsram
10-03-2007, 12:49 PM
You will miss your Panther even if she is not the real Christine..

Raudermaster
10-03-2007, 01:43 PM
0-60 they will take ANY stock panther. .

Except BillyG's! Though his is not stock...

Raudermaster
10-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Also, I'm sure you will miss your comfort when going on long highway trips. Even if you mod the hell out of this thing, how well is the block going to handle it? With that bitty 2.0l?

djbruce26
10-03-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm gonna get on tonight and argue my point. The 12-15 psi blower is pretty decent when you look at what the 2.0 WOULD have put out... as for build quality they are built quite well. Some areas of our country tear cars up fast and so do some car owners (not insulting anyone specific). Cars I maintain always last considerably longer than expected.

Plus, if I keep the vic It'll have to have carseats in it at some point. If I get a 2 door she says there's no way I'll drive the kids anywhere cuz it's too hard to get them buckled in safely into a 2 door. (Score +1 for me)

I'll be on later to finish arguing.

Raudermaster
10-03-2007, 05:43 PM
You wouldn't want car seats in the Vic? As much as my g/f sometimes despises my car (probably because I spend a lot of $$ and time with it maybe more than her lol) she want the kids to ride in the that car. I can't imagine seeing a Cobalt in a wreck..

djbruce26
10-03-2007, 08:17 PM
I've seen them in wrecks. Like most unis they end up with noticeably more crush damage visible. Interestingly though they aren't that much more expensive to fix than a vic. What's cool though is that they are typically safer than my vic because they have several more airbags and there are much better airbag computers on cars today to determine how to release the bag for the highest safety.

As to the engine... only 200 HP from 2.0 liters? The 2.2 NA engine is about 150 HP with about 100 lb/ft of torque. The 2.4 engine is about 175 horse with about 140 torque. The 2.0 is 200hp and about 200 torque... That's also rated. A large number so far have been dynoed stock (not stage 2 or stage 1... STOCK) and put down about 220-240 HP and about 220-250 TQ... so rated versus actual is entirely different. Yes, the clutch does seem like a longer throw which could be annoying... but a skilled driver with longer legs wouldn't care. It's the short, stubby legged individuals who burn the clutch out fast because of that.

A stock 'Balt SS SC will run mid 14s easily. High 14s with a bad driver. a Highly modded NA Vic can barely break into the 14s without juice or a blower. A stock 2004 vic with an AED blower will only do mid 14s.... so I don't see how you can call the 'balt a slow car. Yes, it's slower than your MMs... But that's not a big deal for me considering it has the same interior room, but better headrest designs than my 01 seats, 5sp for ultimate control of the driving, and gets ALOT better mileage. THe biggest advantage for me in a small car is better handling and braking... I have to SLAM my breaks 5-10 times a day on the way to work because I need more room to stop. So I leave a gap on the highway... then people whip in and hit their brakes... I cant' stand driving Christine here in KC. It's hell for me. I hate every moment of it. Driving on longer cruises it's still the most amazing car ever though...

Will I drive long distances that much? Longest distance away family I have is in MN which is only 7 hours MAX in bad weather with traffic. Nearest family is about 10 minutes away. I also plan to live here in KC for at least 5 years, probly 20.

Now, is the balt as bad as you thought? And yes, it may be "rice" to you but that's actually how ALL new sport compacts look... so no matter what brand I choose and what car it's still gonna look rice. At least it isn't a freakin' neon. (though they are sexy and fast)

djbruce26
10-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Also, I'm sure you will miss your comfort when going on long highway trips. Even if you mod the hell out of this thing, how well is the block going to handle it? With that bitty 2.0l?

Everything in the engine is good for 300-350 WHP... if you replace the pistons you are good to go until you hit 400-450 WHP. The most modding I see in my future is Stage 2... only about 300 HP max.

Wheel hop is easily fixed with traction bars. After that there's no more cracking/warping axles NOR tranny wear.

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Have you felt the wheel hop in the cobalts? It feels like you're driving parallel on railroad tracks. It is the main dissapointment with the cobalt for one of my co-workers.

If you have to do it ricer, go with a wrx sti.

seans
10-04-2007, 05:50 AM
You wouldn't want car seats in the Vic? As much as my g/f sometimes despises my car (probably because I spend a lot of $$ and time with it maybe more than her lol) she want the kids to ride in the that car. I can't imagine seeing a Cobalt in a wreck..

Not to speak for him but I think his point was that if he kept the Vic he would have to put the car seats in and do a lot of the driving for the little ones, while his significant other would not want them driven around in the smaller car.:)

djbruce26
10-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Not to speak for him but I think his point was that if he kept the Vic he would have to put the car seats in and do a lot of the driving for the little ones, while his significant other would not want them driven around in the smaller car.:)

Yeah. Not trying to sound like a bad guy but my car is sacred... no matter what car it is. It's my only place of solace where I'm in complete control and I don't want anyone else to commandeer my domain and tell me what needs to happen and how. Plus, no candy, juice or diapers will have to be in the car if she won't let them in it under normal circumstances.

djbruce26
10-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Have you felt the wheel hop in the cobalts? It feels like you're driving parallel on railroad tracks. It is the main dissapointment with the cobalt for one of my co-workers.

If you have to do it ricer, go with a wrx sti.

They have less interior room. Seriously... can you even fit a 6 year old in those backseats? And they are seriously rice with that darn wing. Not to say I wouldn't take one in a heartbeat.... they just aren't my cup of tea. I love positive displacement supercharging, I love American brands and I like the look of the SS tail lights and emblems. The Cobalt is also about 5K cheaper for a 2008 versus a 2005 with 25K miles WRX STI... they aren't exactly cheap cars. The Cobalt fits within the budget I have to keep to. I'd love to be selfish and get the car I want but my girl needs a new car too. She's getting one within 2 years, probably next year though...

Raudermaster
10-04-2007, 07:09 PM
You get all defensive about us giving OUR opinions of the vehicle, when you say you could care less what we say since your mind is made up. It doesn't matter what we thnk anyways, it's what YOU want, we're just weighing the pros and cons of the vehicle. I love STi's, but if I had too, Evo MR for me please.

offroadkarter
10-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Why not find a used mustang or something that moves w/o the *Pooooot* sound coming out of the tail pipe?

I think i just stopped showing interest in 4 bangers is all

Aren Jay
10-04-2007, 09:03 PM
I like the Lotus Esprit.

djbruce26
10-04-2007, 09:11 PM
^^^ Aye, tis a pretty little piece of arse, no?

/pirate

I'm not arguing to prove you wrong. I'm arguing for the heck of it. I enjoy it. I've made my mind up because it's the best choice for me. I'm genuinely interested in how you guys would respond to it though. I don't post much on mm.net (nor CVN much anymore either) but I'm still interested in how like-minded individuals to myself look upon a 'Balt SS SC. If y'all seem to think it's a slow, cramped ricemobile.. fine. I'm still not convinced of that. There are several other cars that have similar options I want... but they aren't any bigger and they get lower mpg. Why buy a scion tC when I can get the faster Cobalt SS which is roomier and gets better mileage? It's only about $500 more for the Cobalt over a similar tC.... that's all. But yeah, in general, I just wanted to find out what y'all thought about one.

rvaldez1
10-05-2007, 07:50 AM
^^^ Aye, tis a pretty little piece of arse, no?

/pirate

I'm not arguing to prove you wrong. I'm arguing for the heck of it. I enjoy it. I've made my mind up because it's the best choice for me. I'm genuinely interested in how you guys would respond to it though. I don't post much on mm.net (nor CVN much anymore either) but I'm still interested in how like-minded individuals to myself look upon a 'Balt SS SC. If y'all seem to think it's a slow, cramped ricemobile.. fine. I'm still not convinced of that. There are several other cars that have similar options I want... but they aren't any bigger and they get lower mpg. Why buy a scion tC when I can get the faster Cobalt SS which is roomier and gets better mileage? It's only about $500 more for the Cobalt over a similar tC.... that's all. But yeah, in general, I just wanted to find out what y'all thought about one.

When purchasing a new car, I try to keep a few options in mind simply becuase for me interest rates and the ability for a dealer to work prices make the deal. If you go to a few Chevy Dealers in your area and they consistently sell at MSRP, try someone else. Though I dont think you will have a problem, the 07's have 0% for 60 and they are not moving. Good Luck.

RCSignals
10-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey if you like it go for it.